• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation need to realize that they are not a service company

Bryank75

Banned
It seems obvious that Sony are working on a competitor to Gamepass or a re-imagining of PSNow....

However, based on being a PlayStation fan for the longest time they are just terrible at services and it is not within their core competencies.
PS5 has been out months now and UI updates are few and far between, changing next to nothing.

Customer service is atrociously bad and is historically notorious among gamers, trying to get a refund is like trying to get blood out of a stone and they have run afoul of authorities several times for denying consumer rights.

When you try and raise concerns on twitter or there is some type of negative backlash, Sony executives and employees bury their heads in the sand and ignore it rather than engage and try and improve.

I could go on and on, we have all experienced how bad services are on PlayStation.

What PlayStation do well is mass produce hardware targeting prices and sku's and making them very desirable on a global scale. They also have traditionally managed creative initiatives like making games and films etc.

If PlayStation come out, thinking a new service like Gamepass is going to take-off, I think they are hugely mistaken.

No PS fans want a new service, we want new studios... we want more exclusives and we want them to be full exclusive.

The direction is all wrong and PS management doesn't listen or have a clue.

Hugare

Another stealth "Sony Game Pass" thread + "Sony is loosing exclusives" thread

Sony will respond to GP because they have to, for PR reasons.

But they wont focus on it. Just like they never cared about PS Now.

They have a established strategy already that makes them billions.

And relax, Death Stranding, Days Gone and Horizon on PC doesnt mean that Sony doesnt care about exclusives anymore.

Wake me up when TLOU 2 or God of War goes to PC

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

It seems obvious that Sony are working on a competitor to Gamepass or a re-imagining of PSNow....
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

SSfox

We won't see improvements on playstation unless people like Jimbo and Hermen will got fired, and we got passionate people again, like Shawn, Andrew and cie.

There are rumours talking about Kojima working on a game with Microsoft, and before that he was working with Stadia based some other talks as well, if all this is true it means that Sony isn't approaching Kojima anymore, which will be another proof that the people that are in the head of playstation aka Jimbo and Hermen are two fuck retard clowns.

Ten_Fold

Another stealth "Sony Game Pass" thread + "Sony is loosing exclusives" thread

Sony will respond to GP because they have to, for PR reasons.

But they wont focus on it. Just like they never cared about PS Now.

They have a established strategy already that makes them billions.

And relax, Death Stranding, Days Gone and Horizon on PC doesnt mean that Sony doesnt care about exclusives anymore.

Wake me up when TLOU 2 or God of War goes to PC
Yeah I agree Sony fans cry every time Microsoft does some cool shit, like let them have gamepass be a successful, let them have ES6 and fallout. Competition is a good thing. Sony gonna put a bit more effort into psNOW but not gamepass levels because they already have a solid player base, nice line up of exclusives that sell well. Microsoft just had halo and gears, now they are starting to create/buy more exclusives. I’m all for competition.

Perrott

Gold Member
We won't see improvements on playstation unless people like Jimbo and Hermen will got fired, and we got passionate people again, like Shawn, Andrew and cie.

There are rumours talking about Kojima working on a game with Microsoft, and before that he was working with Stadia based some other talks as well, if all this is true it means that Sony isn't approaching Kojima anymore, which will be another proof that the people that are in the head of playstation aka Jimbo and Hermen are two fuck retard clowns.
It was Worldwide Studios (Layden and Yoshida) the ones who pissed off Kojima in 2018 by cutting the budget of the game and soft-rebooting Death Stranding in order to get the game out nearly a year earlier than what House and Kojima had agreed on in the first place.

Ohh, and the "new management" (Ryan and Hulst) approached Kojima back in early 2020 to get him to work on a revival of Silent Hills but the deal fell apart, so it is not like they let Kojima go immediately after DS.

Don't go around town calling people "retarded clowns" when you don't know the full story, it makes you look like an ignorant.

Last edited:
I dunno, I would love for there to be a gamepass equivalent on PlayStation I feel like it would fit perfectly? Like most first party Sony games are known for their single player campaigns which for me is the type of game that gives the subscription services their value.

I would rather have a new studio than a new service. Whether it is exclusive or not doesn't matter.

People are so over hyping Game Pass it has gotten annoying. How many years has it existed til now? Can anyone name an incredible game that broke because of it? The endless threads about "How will GamePass change the industry?" are annoying indead. They are late to the party with most of the releases that have been on PS Now for 5+ years.

It seems like grasping at straws, tbh. I would rather be talking about cool new upcoming games. Not "how will people pay to play Skyrim in 2022?"

Last edited:
I would rather have a new studio than a new service. Whether it is exclusive or not doesn't matter.

People are so over hyping Game Pass it has gotten annoying. How many years has it existed til now? Can anyone name an incredible game that broke because of it? The endless threads about "How will GamePass change the industry?" are annoying indead.

It seems like grasping at straws, tbh. I would rather be talking about cool new upcoming games. Not "how will people pay to play Skyrim in 2022?"
I dunno I never used gamepass before this gen since I didn’t have an Xbox - I think most people are reacting to its use on series x not on Xbox one. Not it’s future use but current use.

EDMIX

However, based on being a PlayStation fan for the longest time they are just terrible at services and it is not within their core competencies.
PS5 has been out months now and UI updates are few and far between, changing next to nothing.

Customer service is atrociously bad and is historically notorious among gamers, trying to get a refund is like trying to get blood out of a stone and they have run afoul of authorities several times for denying consumer rights.

When you try and raise concerns on twitter or there is some type of negative backlash, Sony executives and employees bury their heads in the sand and ignore it rather than engage and try and improve.

I could go on and on, we have all experienced how bad services are on PlayStation.

What PlayStation do well is mass produce hardware targeting prices and sku's and making them very desirable on a global scale. They also have traditionally managed creative initiatives like making games and films etc.

If PlayStation come out, thinking a new service like Gamepass is going to take-off, I think they are hugely mistaken.

No PS fans want a new service, we want new studios... we want more exclusives and we want them to be full exclusive.

Pretty much. I don't hate PS Now, I simply don't rent my games or use services like that. I'd rather look out for the next big AAA title they work on, then service shit.

Sony moves so much units in terms of hardware and software, its likely hard for them to really pass up moving 10, 15 or 20 million units of their titles to get them as a "service" thing. I'd say same with Nintendo.

MS is sorta the odd man out as they simply don't move the same number of software compared to Sony and Nintendo and based on Gamepass, They will likely move even less so they are headed in a different direction for different reasons. So whats good for MS, may not make sense for Sony. They already move lots of hardware, they already move lots of software. So I'm sure SOME PS fans want them to focus on service, I'd say most want a focus on big AAA titles they favor to own vs rent, stream etc. Even when PS Now first game out, the whole concept was hard for many to get behind because the install base is so use to purchasing those titles as boxed physical things vs streaming em.

Umbasaborne Umbasaborne well not really. Its not like ALL Sony published games move 15 million units or something lol So I'd say thats extremely untrue.

Even the whole "better interest" is up to the user. So i'm sorry, renting games doesn't do shit for me. You telling me you looking to SAVE ME money and its my "best interest" for rentals? Ok sir. They've had PS Now for years and the install base simply doesn't give a shit about it. What is "best" is up to the user. That rental crap might be hot for some people, doesn't mean its some default "good, bad, better" etc

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Related to the poor UI call out for PS5... I got a request to take a 15 min survey from Sony a few days ago. I spent probably 20 minutes giving detailed answers, explaining why the UI needs to be updated, suggestions for feature improvements, etc. Got about 75% through the survey and then it kicked me to a screen that said, "Oh, it looks like you don't fall into the targeted group of people we are looking for feedback from. Buh bye!"

Fucking Sony.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, I'll always be a Sony fanboy in a way just because of my love for the PSX, PS2, and PS3 but the PS4 never did much for me. Got into it late, didn't buy too many games. Just didn't grab me like their previous consoles did. Same with the PS5 so far. I'll definitely be getting one at some point but I feel like Sony is missing something that made them so exciting in previous generations. I am glad that they were able to get Insomniac though, very smart of them.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

They need to do it soon tbh or they will get left behind, they have double them player base xbox has but gamepass has 10 times the amount PSnow has. People want options on how to consume products these days and PSnow in its currant form doesn’t cut it

Yes. They are trying to chase Microsoft and Stadia (services) while they should chase Nintendo (content), which they were mostly doing with success, that is, before Jim.

Stuart360

Sometimes you have to evolve to keep with the times. Everything is going subscription service, its just thw way it is as high speed internet keeps getting better and more widespread.
Its like streaming. Probably 99% of us dont want it for gaming, but its inevitable that 20 years from now streaming will be gaming. Possibly not on PC, but there certainly wont be major consoles anmore, outside of niche retro style consoles.

DaGwaphics

Yes. They are trying to chase Microsoft and Stadia (services) while they should chase Nintendo (content), which they were mostly doing with success, that is, before Jim.

Why can't they do both?

That's the common misconception about a subscription, it doesn't stop you from doing both.

With the critical acclaim of their first-party, Sony could probably do well with some kind of Sony pass (focusing just on their own offerings and not even bothering with 3rd-party). If MS has sold 18m subs, Sony should be able to hit 36m or so without much trouble. Even if they went with a lower price, say $5 a month, it would be a big win for them. Still over $2b a year in revenue or the equivalent of 30m $70 game sales a year, plus they'd still have traditional sales. The idea that a subscription lowers the quality of the output or ruins the finances just isn't true. They would probably greenlight a lot of content with lower budgets, maybe pickup/form some smaller studios to fill in around the blockbusters, but that is all additive for you, not reductive.

Subscriptions aren't really a case of the platform holder subsidizing content, it's more of a large group of people subsidizing the content for themselves by agreeing to buy all of it at a wholesale rate.

This would be very successful for Nintendo as well. Hell, they'd probably charge $20/mo. just for their own content and still rake in the subscribers.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sometimes you have to evolve to keep with the times. Everything is going subscription service, its just thw way it is as high speed internet keeps getting better and more widespread.
Its like streaming. Probably 99% of us dont want it for gaming, but its inevitable that 20 years from now streaming will be gaming. Possibly not on PC, but there certainly wont be major consoles anmore, outside of niche retro style consoles.
Yup.

Adobe hasn't sold Photoshop for $500-1000 for years. You want it, go pay $20/mth. Where's all the graphic artists complaining?

As for games, streaming and sub plans are options. Every game can still be bought on disc, digital, and for the bigger titles on console both. PC is different as there's almost no boxed copies left (maybe some for big name games but what you get in the box is probably still a digital code anyway).

Now if people want to complain later that games are being put behind a sub plan only brick wall then complain.

But then again, dont complain too much, because thats no different than NF, Spotify or your local cable TV. Those are sub plans too. Yet people have no problem paying those monthly fees instead of buying out content from Amazon or a digital download service for $20 per program.

sainraja

Related to the poor UI call out for PS5... I got a request to take a 15 min survey from Sony a few days ago. I spent probably 20 minutes giving detailed answers, explaining why the UI needs to be updated, suggestions for feature improvements, etc. Got about 75% through the survey and then it kicked me to a screen that said, "Oh, it looks like you don't fall into the targeted group of people we are looking for feedback from. Buh bye!"

Fucking Sony.
I got the same survey and I also provided a feedback on how they can improve their UI and other features. I didn't get booted. I am surprised it booted you at 75%.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

OH HECKS NAW! If 20 years from now everything will be streaming only, then I'm OUT! I'm okay with paying for a subscription, but at least give me a way to download the games. Geez.

Spaceman292

Banned

No one should want full exclusives

Top Bottom