• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation need to realize that they are not a service company

Stuart360

OH HECKS NAW! If 20 years from now everything will be streaming only, then I'm OUT! I'm okay with paying for a subscription, but at least give me a way to download the games. Geez.
I think PC will be your best bet if you dont want streaming, only because the hardware is just as important to a lot of PC gamers as the games themselves, with whole benchmarking sub cultures on PC. Plus the likes of Nvidia, AMD, and Intel etc certainly wont be pushing for a streaming ONLY future on PC, as their whole business revolves around hardware.
On consoles though, i expect one more generation after current gen (and the end of that gen will be like 15 or 16 years from now). Possibly 2 more gens, but i'm certain 2 more gens is the absolute limit.

NahaNago

Yes. They are trying to chase Microsoft and Stadia (services) while they should chase Nintendo (content), which they were mostly doing with success, that is, before Jim.
They should be chasing both honestly. Add steam to the mix as well with its tons of indies. They need several more studios( at least a dozen of all sizes), they need better support for the UI, they need a streaming service to put eventually everywhere since I think eventually streaming will kill consoles. They just won't put down the money to get it done though. It makes certain sense why change things up this quickly when you are going to be making bank now and in the near future.
Sometimes you have to evolve to keep with the times. Everything is going subscription service, its just thw way it is as high speed internet keeps getting better and more widespread.
Its like streaming. Probably 99% of us dont want it for gaming, but its inevitable that 20 years from now streaming will be gaming. Possibly not on PC, but there certainly wont be major consoles anmore, outside of niche retro style consoles.
streaming will probably be more of a thing in the future as a way to combat piracy most likely. I think half the reason Nintendo hasn't gone into full steaming is because the majority of the world isn't ready for it. Consoles will go the way of blockbuster.

EDMIX

You want it, go pay $20/mth. Where's all the graphic artists complaining?

lol the fuck? bitch I'm complaining RIGHT NOW lol jk

I still use PS6 and I'm NEVER updating to that new shit lol Look, I don't mind subscription for stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc as I've had them to for a decade plus, but I'm not renting my games, I'm not paying per month for PS or illustrator etc. EVERYTHING doesn't need to be a subscription.

Be like "box subscription of Peanut Brittle" , some shit you don't NEED a subscription for.

Kagey K

Banned
lol the fuck? bitch I'm complaining RIGHT NOW lol jk

I still use PS6 and I'm NEVER updating to that new shit lol Look, I don't mind subscription for stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc as I've had them to for a decade plus, but I'm not renting my games, I'm not paying per month for PS or illustrator etc. EVERYTHING doesn't need to be a subscription.

Be like "box subscription of Peanut Brittle" , some shit you don't NEED a subscription for.
Tell that to Amazon and all thier subscription products. 😅

They have a fucking Kleenex subscription FFS. 🤣

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They should be chasing both honestly. Add steam to the mix as well with its tons of indies. They need several more studios( at least a dozen of all sizes), they need better support for the UI, they need a streaming service to put eventually everywhere since I think eventually streaming will kill consoles. They just won't put down the money to get it done though. It makes certain sense why change things up this quickly when you are going to be making bank now and in the near future.

streaming will probably be more of a thing in the future as a way to combat piracy most likely. I think half the reason Nintendo hasn't gone into full steaming is because the majority of the world isn't ready for it. Consoles will go the way of blockbuster.
But for combating piracy, cant companies still just do normal online like Diablo?

Supposedly, D3 is hard to pirate because the server does the randomness and loot. It's not baked into offline code. So for the game to work properly, someone needs to be online.

Cant devs do some kind of mandatory part that requires the server to handle an important gameplay part, or else it doesn't work well offline?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You sure you've thought this through @ Bryank75 Bryank75 ? If there is one thing that necessitates the need for more studios and more content it is a subscription service. Just look what it has done to MS in regards to studio acquisition.
Ah good point, Xbox has a ton of great studios now with rumors of even more being added and it's driven by Game Pass. In the next year or 2 when they start hitting we Xbros/girls are going to be flooded with AAA exclusive games.

If Sony were to follow the Xbox model SonyBros would probably have even more AAA PS exclusives.

Stuart360

Well Nintendo kind of live in their own bubble, and do their own thing. I actually wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo still keep producing consoles 30 years rom now. I doubt that, but i wouldnt be surprised.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
As someone with a PS5, the only studio I want to hear next is a studio that will port older games from PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita (compatible) games to PS5 with trophy support.

I'd be worried about the quality of games going forward if Sony followed the Gamepass route. It's great value for the consumer currently but I have misgivings on how it will affect the types of games made in the future.

I have zero issue with MLB going multiplatform. Zero issue with exclusives, timed exclusives so long as its not taking sequels out of ecosystems.

EDMIX

Well Nintendo kind of live in their own bubble, and do their own thing. I actually wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo still keep producing consoles 30 years rom now. I doubt that, but i wouldnt be surprised.

Agreed, but they don't NEED to do anything in regards to services stuff to keep moving units. The big reason why Sony and Nintendo see this simply as an option, they are the ones that just moved record units of BOTH hardware and software.

Thus, a service like rental is simply an option for them, its not this thing that their business needs to stay in the game or something. So I'd say MS is the odd man out on this one. Look at record Switch sales, look at record PS4 sales.

That is one of the biggest reason why they have it as an option and not some mandatory, MUST HAVE thing or something. They don't have an issue moving units, MS technically does.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think PC will be your best bet if you dont want streaming, only because the hardware is just as important to a lot of PC gamers as the games themselves, with whole benchmarking sub cultures on PC. Plus the likes of Nvidia, AMD, and Intel etc certainly wont be pushing for a streaming ONLY future on PC, as their whole business revolves around hardware.
On consoles though, i expect one more generation after current gen (and the end of that gen will be like 15 or 16 years from now). Possibly 2 more gens, but i'm certain 2 more gens is the absolute limit.

I just don't see why Sony would NOT want hardware to be important to them (in the gaming space). It's literally what Sony is best at. From TVs and DVD players, to video game consoles\VR headsets, and mobile devices. They'd be throwing money away if they went away from hardware in the gaming space in 2035.

cireza

Banned
I think OP enjoys video-games in a certain way, and that's perfectly fine. Wanting a good hardware, good exclusive games and not caring for services. Anyone has the right to enjoy things however he wants.

Maybe that things are changing a bit and it won't be only this in the future. Things happen. I enjoyed playing good old games on cartridge, playing on 16 bits systems and playing on SEGA consoles. All of this is dead for me (not active anymore, I can still play what exists of course). Still enjoying video-games somehow, but not exactly for the same reasons, and video-games don't feel like "they are made for me", unlike during these older days.

You have to accept that things won't be all targeted at you, see if you can be happy with it, and how. You don't get the same satisfaction from something that was made specifically to cater to your tastes, than from something that does A, B and C while you only enjoy C and have to ignore A and B.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I just don't see why Sony would NOT want hardware to be important to them (in the gaming space). It's literally what Sony is best at. From TVs and DVD players, to video game consoles\VR headsets, and mobile devices. They'd be throwing money away if they went away from hardware in the gaming space in 2035.
TV's are important though, its your entertainment hub. The reason why this idea of a box screen in you living room hasnt changed much in 80 years.
A console isnt a must though. You can stream games to your TV hub. Its not what Sony wants, its what consumers want, and Consumers are lazy and want simplicity and ease of use, which subscriptions seervices, streaming services, offer.

Kokoloko85

I agree with you, and we want more exclusives and more studios.

But I think they need to make some kind of competitor just to shut the competition up, get some more funds and stop people going to gamepass etc. Just like when they done PS+

They should add Sony movies, series, anime and music to the mix to make it more appealing.

On a seperate subject I really think they need to do a virtual console like service. Give me those damn PS1 and PS2 games from the PS3 and vita library Lol

NahaNago

That is also is a major possibility since they market mainly to kids. The reason I think that they might go the streaming route is cause Japan and mobile game domination over there. I could easily see younger developers try to push this at Nintendo.
But for combating piracy, cant companies still just do normal online like Diablo?

Supposedly, D3 is hard to pirate because the server does the randomness and loot. It's not baked into offline code. So for the game to work properly, someone needs to be online.

Cant devs do some kind of mandatory part that requires the server to handle an important gameplay part, or else it doesn't work well offline?
But why do that when you can pretty much control everything from their side without someone potentially stealing and modding a fix to your game.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TV's are important though, its your entertainment hub. The reason why this idea of a box screen in you living room hasnt changed much in 80 years.
A console isnt a must though. You can stream games to your TV hub. Its not what Sony wants, its what consumers want, and Consumers are lazy and want simplicity and ease of use, which subscriptions seervices, streaming services, offer.

Do they though? Or are you afraid that's what consumers want? Because it's Playstation and Nintendo that's dominating the video games space worldwide. And they are doing it on the backs of physical consoles, physical media, and physical add-on hardware.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It seems obvious that Sony are working on a competitor to Gamepass or a re-imagining of PSNow....

However, based on being a PlayStation fan for the longest time they are just terrible at services and it is not within their core competencies.
PS5 has been out months now and UI updates are few and far between, changing next to nothing.

Customer service is atrociously bad and is historically notorious among gamers, trying to get a refund is like trying to get blood out of a stone and they have run afoul of authorities several times for denying consumer rights.

When you try and raise concerns on twitter or there is some type of negative backlash, Sony executives and employees bury their heads in the sand and ignore it rather than engage and try and improve.

I could go on and on, we have all experienced how bad services are on PlayStation.

What PlayStation do well is mass produce hardware targeting prices and sku's and making them very desirable on a global scale. They also have traditionally managed creative initiatives like making games and films etc.

If PlayStation come out, thinking a new service like Gamepass is going to take-off, I think they are hugely mistaken.

No PS fans want a new service, we want new studios... we want more exclusives and we want them to be full exclusive.

The direction is all wrong and PS management doesn't listen or have a clue.
It should already be a thing, I really don't know what is slowing them down.

PSNow is also not in every region, so they need to sort that out first.

They are also one of the biggest music companies, so for 15 dollars, they could probably get a deal to roll Spotify in there too.

They really could have a huge monopoly on entertainment subscription services but they just seem to be content to sell their shows, music and films to other services.
You said this in another thread about a gamepass competitor from Sony. So are you for it or against it?

Stuart360

Do they though? Or are you afraid that's what consumers want? Because it's Playstation and Nintendo that's dominating the video games space worldwide. And they are doing it on the backs of physical consoles, physical media, and physical add-on hardware.
Did you really have to change our nice little convo into a console war?. Consumers dictate at the end of the dya. If they dont want streams and services, we will see over the next 20 years or so. Consumers have all the power at the end of the day. They will have final say, but you only have to look at Music, TV, and Movies to see where gaming will be going.

Last edited:

Concern

steve seriously GIF by Stranger Things

The cringe lol

MOTM

Banned
Yea, I'll always be a Sony fanboy in a way just because of my love for the PSX, PS2, and PS3 but the PS4 never did much for me. Got into it late, didn't buy too many games. Just didn't grab me like their previous consoles did. Same with the PS5 so far. I'll definitely be getting one at some point but I feel like Sony is missing something that made them so exciting in previous generations. I am glad that they were able to get Insomniac though, very smart of them.
It comes off as if Sony themselves aren’t as hyped or excited as they were in the previous gems. Whereas MS come off as being the most excited and happiest they’ve ever been, even if they came out of a gen where they lost so much compared to the 360 era.

Lokaum D+

This "full exclusive" bullshit ll no longer be a thing, companies like money, they dont care about you. Just look at Death Stranding made U$27mi in 6 mounths on PC ( all digitaly ). MS started this trend and Sony just joined the cash train and ll keep realeasing their games at least on PC, Nintendo ll join too sooner or later, the fact is that "full exclusive" is just no longer finacially "good"

Last edited:
:messenger_tears_of_joy: So they are supposed to have people spending their money on things from game addons, in-game purchases, to digital and physical games in the many gigabytes on their digital store and from retail stores, communicating with other gamers on the internet through their network, play online with other gamers from around the world, support what they release from a consumer standpoint via updates and the like (you know, since they already sold you something), but they aren't a service company?

Focus on quality and stop pocket watching Microsoft I say. Just because Microsoft bought all these studios and a whole publisher doesn't suddenly mean Sony needs more than what they already possess. I'm not saying more can't be better, but I think they understand their own internal needs better than most. This stuff about new studios, new exclusives and wanting them to be full exclusive doesn't mean a damn thing if the service side of the equation isn't working well.

You can't be serving many tens and hundreds of gigabytes worth of data up to consumers over the internet, collecting payments online, and not consider yourself a service company in some shape or form. Maybe in the old days you could get away with that limited thinking, not today. The industry is different. If you want Sony to become more like Nintendo with a seemingly less ambitious vision towards online play and connectivity, then forget about Call of Duty, Battlefield and a whole host of games that are about offering some type of service.

MOTM

Banned
Yup.

Adobe hasn't sold Photoshop for $500-1000 for years. You want it, go pay $20/mth. Where's all the graphic artists complaining?

As for games, streaming and sub plans are options. Every game can still be bought on disc, digital, and for the bigger titles on console both. PC is different as there's almost no boxed copies left (maybe some for big name games but what you get in the box is probably still a digital code anyway).

Now if people want to complain later that games are being put behind a sub plan only brick wall then complain.

But then again, dont complain too much, because thats no different than NF, Spotify or your local cable TV. Those are sub plans too. Yet people have no problem paying those monthly fees instead of buying out content from Amazon or a digital download service for $20 per program.
That’s the thing I don’t understand. Surely all these people complaining about Gamepass know by now that every other media has gone the subscription route. And surely they are also Spotify, Netflix, Prime, Audible etc etc customers. Even stuff like coffee and razor blades work with subscription models now.

You can’t ask Sony to go full Blockbuster and just ignore the change in consumption models and just keep on doing the same things. That’s how companies once on top of the hill go bust.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It comes off as if Sony themselves aren’t as hyped or excited as they were in the previous gems. Whereas MS come off as being the most excited and happiest they’ve ever been, even if they came out of a gen where they lost so much compared to the 360 era.
That's a really good way of describing it.

Why do some of you insist that having "full" exclusives is so important? Does it really matter if Sony decides to release Horizon/Ratchet or whatever on Steam a year or two after it comes out? At that point, people who are really interested in the game will buy a PS5 if need be and Sony will be getting some extra cash out of the PC crowd who will go nowhere near consoles anyway. It's a win-win for everybody; more people get to play the games and they get more revenue, which surely gives Sony incentive to develop bigger, better games in greater quantities or in shorter timespans.

This stubborn selfishness will never stop baffling me -- I don't see anything good coming out from wishing something like that so fervently that it makes you have a proper go at someone online just because they say they'd love to play Bloodborne on PC. God forbid more people play one of the best games of all time on something that does not constitute a direct competitor to your platform of choice.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That’s the thing I don’t understand. Surely all these people complaining about Gamepass know by now that every other media has gone the subscription route. And surely they are also Spotify, Netflix, Prime, Audible etc etc customers. Even stuff like coffee and razor blades work with subscription models now.

You can’t ask Sony to go full Blockbuster and just ignore the change in consumption models and just keep on doing the same things. That’s how companies once on top of the hill go bust.
Exactly this, people want options.

PSnow only has 2 million subscribers where as gamepass is well over 18 million. Microsoft doing those numbers with half the player base on console. Sony missing out on huge chunks of cash

EDMIX

You can stream games to your TV hub. Its not what Sony wants, its what consumers want

? Sony made PS Now though....a streaming service for games. Clearly enough customers don't really want it considering how little actually use it. If soooooo many customers wanted this, what on earth happened with that Steam box thing?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why do some of you insist that having "full" exclusives is so important? Does it really matter if Sony decides to release Horizon/Ratchet or whatever on Steam a year or two after it comes out? At that point, people who are really interested in the game will buy a PS5 if need be and Sony will be getting some extra cash out of the PC crowd who will go nowhere near consoles anyway. It's a win-win for everybody; more people get to play the games and they get more revenue, which surely gives Sony incentive to develop bigger, better games in greater quantities or in shorter timespans.

This stubborn selfishness will never stop baffling me -- I don't see anything good coming out from wishing something like that so fervently that you have a proper go at someone online just because they say they'd love to play Bloodborne on PC.
It’s just a dick measuring contest with full exclusives, plus people been laughing at Xbox saying they don’t have exclusives because they are on PC. Now Sony is doing it to they want to save face with all the trolling They did to Xbox fans. Company’s want to make money and will put games on pc if there is money in it

MiguelItUp

Wait, is Sony really "obviously" working on a competitor to Game Pass? Did I miss something?

I'm asking because honestly I NEVER got that vibe. Especially an "obvious" one. Now, may they be reactively changing their approach to compete with Microsoft? Maybe. But I don't see it actively being a part of their approach. I don't think think they need to compete that way. At least not yet.

Playstation has PS Now and PS+, are they really going to change their services to mimic something more like Game Pass? I really don't see that happening...

Microsoft had a different approach from the get-go that clearly revolved around wanting to give their consumers more options. It's why the S exists, it's also why Game Pass exists. They essentially created a "more affordable and approachable" alternative for those that can't or don't want to shell out for a new X and full price titles every time.

Last edited:

Stuart360

? Sony made PS Now though....a streaming service for games. Clearly enough customers don't really want it considering how little actually use it. If soooooo many customers wanted this, what on earth happened with that Steam box thing?
I'm talking over the next 20 years or so, as everything starts moving over to subscriptions and streaming. Again look at whats happend with Music, TV, and Movies. There is no reason why it wont happen with gaming, especially as with gaming you have to spend a decent amount of time downloading a game, compared to say streaming where you will be playing instantly.
And make no mistake, if Sony advertized PSNow more, and put first party games day and date, and paid for 3rd psrty games day and date, PSNow would be a lot bigger already than it currently is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly this, people want options.

PSnow only has 2 million subscribers where as gamepass is well over 18 million. Microsoft doing those numbers with half the player base on console. Sony missing out on huge chunks of cash
Yup.

GP subs are growing so much it means people are sticking. Whether it's buying Gold and doing $1 top ups or paying reg price because they have no idea that $1 top works like that it doesn't matter.

GP subs are growing like crazy despite Xbox console sales being lousy last bunch of years.

And I don't want to hear any BS answers like it's the same people doing free trials who are making new Xbox profiles every month. There's only so many people in the world who go through that hassle. That's like saying there's nobody paying for Netflix because everyone is making new profiles with a new gmail account for their free introductory month.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

It seems obvious that Sony are working on a competitor to Gamepass or a re-imagining of PSNow....

However, based on being a PlayStation fan for the longest time they are just terrible at services and it is not within their core competencies.
PS5 has been out months now and UI updates are few and far between, changing next to nothing.

Customer service is atrociously bad and is historically notorious among gamers, trying to get a refund is like trying to get blood out of a stone and they have run afoul of authorities several times for denying consumer rights.

When you try and raise concerns on twitter or there is some type of negative backlash, Sony executives and employees bury their heads in the sand and ignore it rather than engage and try and improve.

I could go on and on, we have all experienced how bad services are on PlayStation.

What PlayStation do well is mass produce hardware targeting prices and sku's and making them very desirable on a global scale. They also have traditionally managed creative initiatives like making games and films etc.

If PlayStation come out, thinking a new service like Gamepass is going to take-off, I think they are hugely mistaken.

No PS fans want a new service, we want new studios... we want more exclusives and we want them to be full exclusive.

The direction is all wrong and PS management doesn't listen or have a clue.

It would be difficult for PlayStation to offer a direct competitor to Game Pass with first party titles day 1 release because as a company, Sony needs to sell software (games, music, movies) and hardware (TVs, PlayStation, electronics etc) consistently to keep the company afloat. They don't have various mammoth-size revenue streams like Microsoft does, and they can't afford to take big bets or big risks like Microsoft is doing with Game Pass. If they do offer some sort of direct competitor, and they likely will by revamping PS Now, it would probably be the same as it is now but with first party titles on a 6 to 9 month delay or something like that, akin to EA Play. But I expect Sony to stick to their traditional software selling approach.

For comparison purposes, Sony's market cap is 139.79 Billion. Microsoft is around 1.2 TRILLION. That's a gigantic difference. Microsoft is worth around 10 Sony size companies, or if it wanted to it could buy SONY 10 times over.

Last edited:

sainraja

Sometimes you have to evolve to keep with the times. Everything is going subscription service, its just thw way it is as high speed internet keeps getting better and more widespread.
Its like streaming. Probably 99% of us dont want it for gaming, but its inevitable that 20 years from now streaming will be gaming. Possibly not on PC, but there certainly wont be major consoles anmore, outside of niche retro style consoles.
With streaming, what we lose out on is the ability to play content offline. This is why I don't think streaming will ever become the default way or the only option.

Streaming offers convenience and I understand that most of the time, convenience will always win out over other things but I don't think it will replace downloads 100%. There is a real possibility that it can and that is scary. I personally hope that it never comes to that.

Microsoft understood that (or how I took it), the reason why they introduced Game Pass with downloads and added streaming to it later compared to Sony who started with streaming and added downloads later.

Stuart360

With streaming, what we lose out on is the ability to play content offline. This is why I don't think streaming will ever become the default way or the only option.

Streaming offers convenience and I understand that most of the time, convenience will always win out over other things but I don't think it will replace downloads 100%. There is a real possibility that it can and that is scary. I personally hope that it never comes to that.

Microsoft understood that (or how I took it), the reason why they introduced Game Pass with downloads and added streaming to it later compared to Sony who started with streaming and added downloads later.
Listen i dont want streaming either. Imo our only hope is that my '20 year' thought ends up being way wrong, and its more like 30-40 years, in whihc case i will be an old man by then lol.
Straming is inevitable, its just how long away it is.

NahaNago

Yup.

GP subs are growing so much it means people are sticking. Whether it's buying Gold and doing $1 top ups or paying reg price because they have no idea that $1 top works like that it doesn't matter.

GP subs are growing like crazy despite Xbox console sales being lousy last bunch of years.

And I don't want to hear any BS answers like it's the same people doing free trials who are making new Xbox profiles every month. There's only so many people in the world who go through that hassle. That's like saying there's nobody paying for Netflix because everyone is making new profiles with a new gmail account for their free introductory month.

I've never even heard of that Netflix trick. Yeah, on the 1$ deal everyone mentions it when it comes to profits but like you said folks are eventually just going to be lazy and just pay the regular gamepass price one day.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never even hear of that Netflix trick. Yeah, on the 1$ deal everyone mentions it when it comes to profits but like you said folks are eventually just going to be lazy and just pay the regular gamepass price one day.
Just googled it. The free month in USA/Canada ended last fall.

I don't know about other countries, but we had a free trial month for new sign ups. Cancel anytime. It must had been the same free month promotion for 10 years.

Top Bottom