• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation need to realize that they are not a service company

Why help a competing platform instead of attack it?

They should be looking to take users away from PC. It is the wrong attitude to treat PC as some common ground, they will only stand to lose long term customers that way.
It's funny because I've never thought of pc as competing platform I think of the pc market as digital real estate and there's loads of it up for grabs with plenty of ways to get people spending in your eco system it's just the way things are moving now I guess .

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think Sony wants to be a PC platform of sorts, and are exploring thinking about that. They have PS Now streaming to PC, but that never really took off.. so maybe it's just waiting to see if game streaming takes off while testing the waters with PC releases..

Or maybe it will be via a bigger investment in Epic. If Sony owns a significant portion of Epic, and they help EGS take off by way of exclusive PC releases, that's a win/win for them. They make money from their games selling (88% cut) and they make money from helping Epic's stock price go up (since they are looking at an IPO.)

Also since EGS is kind of a piece of shit that totally fits Sony's typical services, according to superfan BryanK ;)

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Why help a competing platform instead of attack it?

They should be looking to take users away from PC. It is the wrong attitude to treat PC as some common ground, they will only stand to lose long term customers that way.

The thing is... they need a lot of work to do to take customers away from PC. A couple of AAA blockbusters per year won't cut it. Its all about the ecosystem and Sony is lagging behind on that regard. Its approaching Nintendo levels of bad. After closing their legacy stores, PC gamers won't ever jump ship to Sony. At most they will have a dwindling number of customers using their consoles to play a handful of exclusives when their hit bargain bin prices (or even worse buy used). And those are not the clients that fill their pockets.

NahaNago

The store closing down doesn't mean someone doesn't want to buy movies, it means they don't want to buy them FROM THAT STORE.
So from nearly every store that sells cd's or movies in my local area. I can tell you right now that almost every cd music store is gone and all of the movie stores are gone. Best buy's movie section is now one little aisle compared to the like 8 rows of movies they had in the past, the cd section is gone
Not really... Nope.

So yea....they are doing just fine as clearly its worth it to burn the disk and print the paper. The fact that they still exist to this extent very much shows its going to be even harder for gaming to make that transition. They have a medium where the size gets larger and the community by quite a lot still wishes to own vs stream.

Thats nice. Crazy cause I was still able to get the Bluray Alien Collection just fine though........from Amazon, here....see how that works?

The store closing down doesn't mean someone doesn't want to buy movies, it means they don't want to buy them FROM THAT STORE.

yea CDs and films are not in that area just yet, not even close.

yea, but all that argues is they will be even more in favor of having a physical option... Not worrying about downloading something as a rental, data caps etc So what ever new media format Sony, Panasonic or who ever makes, will simply fill that void. So I'm not looking to download that much nor have my collection tied to an account.

I'll buy the disk and be done with it.
I'm not saying that you can't buy them. I was trying to prove that with the vinyl records since they still exists. Their will always be enthusiast who buys blu rays ,cd, and vinyl but the mainstream audience will eventually move on. Isn't that kind of the reason Limited run games exists.

Last edited:
Seems like console exclusives may be a thing of the past after Sony has given PC it's best blessings. The only "unofficial" console exclusives will be on switch, and yet those games play much better on PC.
Console exclusive means that it is exclusive to one console, even if its on PC. Microsoft popularized the term after they started putting all their games on PC. Sony uses it too for games like Death Stranding, Street Fighter V, etc.

Nintendo games are full exclusive.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's why I mentioned day and date specifically. If they release everything 2yrs later, that would protect PS for the most part, players still have a strong reason to choose PS AS their platform of choice over PC. While PC players can buy the games later. Day and date would cost Sony a noticeable chunk of PS sales, IMO (just as it has MS). I've had so many people tell me that they went PC over Xbox since they could get better specs and MS games were over there anyway. That ship has sailed for MS. I think Sony is more protective of their console user base. But I guess we'll see. I would be absolutely shocked by day and date release of PS exclusives on PC.

They don't need to "protect" playstation though if they have more buyers overall. I really don't think sony cares about anything other than revenue. They will do what seems fit for their wallet.

Near future I think they will continue to stagger them for reasons you laid out but if they see numbers continue to grow on PC it's only a matter of time before it makes sense to release it both place day 1 and charge full price vs a discounted price like we saw with Horizon on PC.

That ship sailing for Microsoft isn't a bad thing if they have more customers. Plus GP is revenue either way which is very clearly their push. They are losing a dime of GP money if their customer is on GP on either platform.

Bryank75

Banned
The thing is... they need a lot of work to do to take customers away from PC. A couple of AAA blockbusters per year won't cut it. Its all about the ecosystem and Sony is lagging behind on that regard. Its approaching Nintendo levels of bad. After closing their legacy stores, PC gamers won't ever jump ship to Sony. At most they will have a dwindling number of customers using their consoles to play a handful of exclusives when their hit bargain bin prices (or even worse buy used). And those are not the clients that fill their pockets.
So you agree that Jim is not going the right route about it anyway.

yurinka

We won't see improvements on playstation unless people like Jimbo and Hermen will got fired, and we got passionate people again, like Shawn, Andrew and cie.
All their key console, game and game subscription and GOTY awards metrics are better than ever have been for any platform holder, so don't need to hurry for improvements.

But they already mentioned while ago that are growing most of their internal development studios, that are considering acquisitions for the near future and that they have been working since several years ago for a next gen PS Now with improvements in many areas.

There are rumours talking about Kojima working on a game with Microsoft, and before that he was working with Stadia based some other talks as well, if all this is true it means that Sony isn't approaching Kojima anymore, which will be another proof that the people that are in the head of playstation aka Jimbo and Hermen are two fuck retard clowns.
Stadia rumor was debunked. Kojima isn't a Sony employee or slave. He has his own independent studio and maybe just got a better offer from MS if this rumor is true. Or maybe the game is Death Stranding Xbox Edition. Or maybe the rumor is just bullshit.

The thing is, any publisher would have hired him or bought his studio. He prefered to be independent. For Death Stranding he did choose Sony as publisher in console and 505 for PC, and to use Decima as engine. He may decide to do other things for his next game, doesn't matter what Sony says or does. Death Stranding was profitable on both console and PC and he has a very prestigious name, so any publisher will pay him whatever he asks for.

Jimbo is in the right route, he's performing better than his competition and than all the previous guys in his position in all fronts. They are making more money, selling more consoles, selling more games, selling more subscriptions and winning more GOTY awards than anyone else now and before.

Why aren't in the right route? Because PS4 sold until now over 1.5B games? Because PS4 and PS5 are the best selling consoles ever at their life cycle point? Because they are making more revenue than any other platform holder in gaming history? Because they have more game subscription revenue and subscribers than Microsoft and Nintendo? Because last year their game won more GOTY awards than any other game won in gaming history? Beause the game that won more GOTY awards in most years of the last decade is a Sony game or Sony exclusive?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

We would need more numbers on their overlap of GP only that arent on PC or Xbox to really know.

But as they contine to expand their plans seems to be allowing you to play anything through xcloud that you purchase. If they get there they would still be taking their cut on purchased games.

True. But Sony ain't ever letting xcloud get streamed on PS if it contains titles that could be purchased directly on the PS store. IMO. Streaming as a complete platform makes sense to me, that really is the same as a console sale for MS. MS putting everything on PC day and date is good for consumer choice as well, don't get me wrong. But I don't think Sony cares about consumer choice as much as they do to clinging to their walled garden for as long as they possibly can. They are dipping their toe in, so we'll see what they do.

SSfox

This does make me really wonder what Sony is doing over there. Rumors of Hideo working with Microsoft and even Stadia out of all companies kind of indicates that Sony isn’t approaching or pursuing Hideo when he’s seemingly wanting to do some work. I know people don’t want to hear this, but honestly Hideo’s game would probably sell best and best received on PlayStation which makes things even more perplexing.
Absolutely, one thing that is worring me about actual Sony is they're seem only targeting the +7 millions copies games sales. Actual Sony be like "DS didn't sold 7 millions copies"and that's it.

One thing i always loved about Sony it was they were never like this and were always targeting all kind of games, they always give a chance to games even if they don't sell crazy, a lot of people may have forgotten but Uncharted 1 didn't sold crazy well and same goes with a lot of their past games like Ico for example, and then that became a standard and defined the playstation brand and iconic in videogame brand, hey also released games like Afrika, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, everybody's golf just to name those, and of course Death Stranding is one of those, i loved those games, sure i know there are some people that may not like those as much, but that's the case for even the 20 millions sold games, and in playstation there were always everykind of game for anybody, that's always been the main reason why playstation is the best place to play, but i'm not sure anymore if it will stay that way with Jimbo and Hermen. Those guys seems to focus mostly and mainly on the guaranteed +7 millions copies sales, Sequels of PS4 games that sold a lot like Horizon and cie, deals with games like FF16 and FF7 remake Part 2, i love FF but doesn't that all they should bet on, Nier Automata was one of the nicest surprise of this generation, i mean they're mostly playing it safe now from the look of it.

Let's not even get on the lies and the fact they hide that some games will be crossgen.

Last edited:

NahaNago

For me Jim is just the icing on the cake of late. They've been moving more and more from the playstation that I loved and was hyped for (fanboy cringe:messenger_grimmacing_). I know lots of folks loved playstation during the ps4 because of the exclusive first party games but it was the third party Japanese games exclusives that made me fall in love with Playstation back in the day. It's why I'm so critical of Sony. It's why I loved the xbox 360 because of all of those jrpgs.

DaGwaphics

That ship sailing for Microsoft isn't a bad thing if they have more customers. Plus GP is revenue either way which is very clearly their push. They are losing a dime of GP money if their customer is on GP on either platform.

The ship has done sailed away so we can't ever go back to that. I completely agree that GP on PC and GP on console are one in the same for MS, they get the upfront revenue and a piece of in-game revenue since it's all handled via their store on PC.

I'm not sure how GP on PS would work in that theoretical scenario, I'm sure Sony would want a cut of everything. Do they split the traditional cut, or the dev/publisher has to give up more on in-game purchases or what?

At any rate, I just look at everything from my completely biased personal point of view. I hope GP doesn't go over to PS, just because I like just about everything about MS's approach to consoles better than Sony's. GP on PS might make PS the de facto console eliminating the market for an Xbox, and I'd rather have an Xbox. :messenger_beaming:

EDMIX

I can tell you right now that almost every cd music store is gone and all of the movie stores are gone

Almost.... and that has more to do with Amazon taking over those markets more then anything as those goods clearly still sell and exist....ON AMAZON, Walmart, Target etc. Once those massive companies took over, going to a speicific store for those things made less and less sense. It would be like saying kids don't like toys causes Toys R Us going out of business, but they like toys still...simply from Wal Mart where mom and dads are going shopping.

Best buy's movie section is now one little aisle compared to the like 8 rows of movies they had in the past

yea Best Buy is also no Amazon so.....yea. That has nothing to do with those media formats and more to do with Best Buy is not Amazon lol Look at HHGreg, you think them going under is because people hate tvs and hate movies orrrrr maybe they just don't like buying it from THAT SPECIFIC STORE? You'd have a better argument if you told me the LARGEST retailer in America doesn't sell it or something, but Amazon very much sells that shit. They are the market leader and I see no reason to bring up a STORE FAILING or BEST BUY as examples of how a media format is doing, when those stores failed in general, how come you don't have that same fucking answer for Amazon?

Their will always be enthusiast who buys blu rays ,cd, and vinyl

yea...none of those are in the same area as vinyl.

the mainstream audience will eventually move on.

Nah, the mainstream audience isn't going to be about no 400gb rental life.

I don't think it would hold up in court honestly. There's are so many things labeled as "exclusive", yet it becomes a normal production run after some time. I don't think this is a bad thing. It's not not half of playstation owners are going up move to PC overnight. Plus they will have much more money to fund future games. It's a win win for everyone
You forgot that a platform owner takes in around 30% of sales on their platform... If bringing exclusives to PC eats out their other revenue streams by lowering console hw sales (less games sold on their platform).

But to me the most important factor is that their incentive structure to make stand out games for their captive audience that aren't polluted by microtransactions, at least to the same level as other publishers, becomes moot.

I have a PC hooked to my TV, if all we have is Sony doing the exact same thing, but releasing their games on PC in a timely manner, I should probably scalp my PS5 and be done with it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The ship has done sailed away so we can't ever go back to that. I completely agree that GP on PC and GP on console are one in the same for MS, they get the upfront revenue and a piece of in-game revenue since it's all handled via their store on PC.

I'm not sure how GP on PS would work in that theoretical scenario, I'm sure Sony would want a cut of everything. Do they split the traditional cut, or the dev/publisher has to give up more on in-game purchases or what?

At any rate, I just look at everything from my completely biased personal point of view. I hope GP doesn't go over to PS, just because I like just about everything about MS's approach to consoles better than Sony's. GP on PS might make PS the de facto console eliminating the market for an Xbox, and I'd rather have an Xbox. :messenger_beaming:
Ah got ya. Yeah now that GP is the thing for MS, if it doesn't work out you definitely can't go back. It's the future of Xbox.

Because of that scenario is why i don't think UC game pass on switch or Playstation. They will want a cut but I don't think either side would be willing to take a big enough hit when the third party games will be available natively on the platform.

I could see a scenario where they remove all games that are not Microsoft first party but then the value gets a little weird.

Which is exactly why microsoft will continue to make consoles for the foreseeable future.

wptjskje81341.png

I could see a scenario where they remove all games that amaot Microsoft first party but then the value gets a little weird.
No, assuming that the market is there we will see the same as in movie/TV streaming. Sony will boost PSNow to compete, Steam, GoG, Epic, Nintendo, etc. Will create their own services (maybe EA/Ubisoft/Activision too).. eaxh will compete, and if you want a games collection you're going to have to get many (like Marvel? Disney, like DC? Get whoever has it, like the boys? Get amazon, etc.)

You'll have to get more than one, prices will eventually creep up as the competition gets weaker.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ive never really understood the line of thinking that goes, "this is a great game but it would be even more fun if less people could play it."
Eco system warriors that's who.

Most people enjoy playing games on their system and don't think of other users.

But some gamers have telepathic powers where they get more enjoyment when they know their video game isn't available to play on someone else's piece of plastic halfway around the world.

Must be a great ability to have.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ive never really understood the line of thinking that goes, "this is a great game but it would be even more fun if less people could play it."

Timed exclusivity is enough in most cases to build identification between a game and a platform, because most people don't want to wait months or years to experience the new "hot" thing.

The only exceptions are when characters become mascots for their parent platform, and are used across multiple titles and genres.
Nintendo does this a lot obviously, but its a hard thing to replicate to the same degree of success because they've been working on this for decades with each franchise (think Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, etc.) being a storied success in its own right.

You can't really do that with any character that Sony or MS has.

Spaceman292

Banned
I see what you are saying, but that’s how platforms form an identity. Doesn’t it give consumers a reason to invest into a company’s ecosystem. Exclusives also generally bring out the nest in hardware and the developers. If we didn’t have full exclusives, why have multiple platforms then if they aren’t offering anything unique or special? There is a reason Nintendo is dominating worldwide now. It offers an experience and games you can’t get elsewhere.
Why do some people on this site sound like soulless marketers? 'Invest into a company's ecosystem?' What the fuck are you talking about?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Ah got ya. Yeah now that GP is the thing for MS, if it doesn't work out you definitely can't go back. It's the future of Xbox.

Because of that scenario is why i don't think UC game pass on switch or Playstation. They will want a cut but I don't think either side would be willing to take a big enough hit when the third party games will be available natively on the platform.

I could see a scenario where they remove all games that are not Microsoft first party but then the value gets a little weird.

Which is exactly why microsoft will continue to make consoles for the foreseeable future.

To me anyway it makes more sense to bring GP to the PS crowd via a smart TV, media streamer, or streaming dongle or something. PS users could even still use their dualsense, so not much barrier at all. And MS can still include all the cloud games, which some users would probably still play via streaming over locally on PS (just because they are "free" with GP) and of course they could play MS first-party. All the smart devices would basically be 1 for 1 with console and PC, especially if, like you said, they eventually open all Xbox store purchases to the cloud. Just seems better financially for MS, but who knows, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
To me anyway it makes more sense to bring GP to the PS crowd via a smart TV, media streamer, or streaming dongle or something. PS users could even still use their dualsense, so not much barrier at all. And MS can still include all the cloud games, which some users would probably still play via streaming over locally on PS (just because they are "free" with GP) and of course they could play MS first-party. Just seems better financially for MS, but who knows, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

None of us do. We all are just throwing darts at a wall.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I see what you are saying, but that’s how platforms form an identity. Doesn’t it give consumers a reason to invest into a company’s ecosystem. Exclusives also generally bring out the nest in hardware and the developers. If we didn’t have full exclusives, why have multiple platforms then if they aren’t offering anything unique or special? There is a reason Nintendo is dominating worldwide now. It offers an experience and games you can’t get elsewhere.
It can be argued why do we even need platforms?

Why does every TV, audio system, DVD player, BR player, MP3 player etc... all play the same content?

Sony even has a link to movies and music, yet they don't try to ecosystem all their content only to their devices.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony is already starting to change and they will be doing more of it the future. Eventually, their exclusives will be day one on PC and by the time next gen starts, their exclusives will also be on PS Now (or whatever rebranding it goes through) day one as they should be because a subscription service and recurring revenue is simply worth far more than a single $70 purchase and for those that are physical, Sony barely gets any of it. Their exclusives would easily make their subscription service valuable and extremely appealing. Sony needs to start adapting to what the future will be as opposed to staying with the old, outdated and obsolete current setup because if they don't, they'll simply be left behind.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony is already starting to change and they will be doing more of it the future. Eventually, their exclusives will be day one on PC and by the time next gen starts, their exclusives will also be on PS Now (or whatever rebranding it goes through) day one as they should be because a subscription service and recurring revenue is simply worth far more than a single $70 purchase and for those that are physical, Sony barely gets any of it. Their exclusives would easily make their subscription service valuable and extremely appealing. Sony needs to start adapting to what the future will be as opposed to staying with the old, outdated and obsolete current setup because if they don't, they'll simply be left behind.

Gamepass will have been around for 4 years this coming June, and MS is still third in a field of three and not really making up an=y ground. Have you considered it might not be as big a deal as you think it personally?

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
One thing is, the day PS exclusives start releasing day one on PC then it will be a bit hard to find reasons to buy a PlayStation console - worse services, worse deals, worse ecosystem, worse support, etc. The same applies to Nintendo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamepass will have been around for 4 years this coming June, and MS is still third in a field of three and not really making up an=y ground. Have you considered it might not be as big a deal as you think it personally?
People play games, not sales.

Gamers win when they have options to buy games and sub plans for cheap to play more.

Nothing wrong with a good deal. Some people like paying $70 for games, some people like paying $1.

Yes, Sony, the company that operates the largest paying subscription service by subscriber count (nearly 50 million PS+ subs) in the video game industry doesn't know anything about operating a service...

Last edited:
Why do some people on this site sound like soulless marketers? 'Invest into a company's ecosystem?' What the fuck are you talking about?
It’s not that complicated. Who’s going to stand in line for a PS6 when all the games are coming to a platform you already own? Exclusives generally makes company’s offerings and services better or unique to attract an audience. That’s normally what drives people to products or services. It molds their identity and uniqueness. I’m not saying it’s good having tons of services and consoles for all the games, but imo it does make companies try harder and give reasons to check out the competition.

Why do you think Microsoft procured Bethesda for $7.5 billion, especially considering they were already getting Bethesda games on their platform anyway? One reason Stadia failed miserably is because it really didn’t really have any software that stood out from the competition. You didn’t need to buy a Stadia to experience 98% of what the other platforms were offering. Why invest into it if you already can access most of the games in your platform of choice? The same applies to any new platforms that come out that have nothing new to offer.

Last edited:
It can be argued why do we even need platforms?

Why does every TV, audio system, DVD player, BR player, MP3 player etc... all play the same content?

Sony even has a link to movies and music, yet they don't try to ecosystem all their content only to their devices.
Very true. They all play the same content but they do it differently. OLED TVs and LED TV’s play the same movies and games, but they look different doing it. You have a choice as to which TV suits your needs and preferences. Klipsch speakers all play the same music, yet some people prefer the sound of Bowers and Wilkins speakers.

I just think having choices and competition is healthier for the industry. I do understand the appeal of all games on one platform obviously, but then I feel there would be no need for competition.

DaGwaphics

From what MS is saying, maybe growth has been really good over the last year or two. Everything starts somewhere, doesn't mean the service can't really hit its stride.

DaGwaphics

Drinks and biscuits free for gamepass subscribers

We'll be there! Mostly to ignore the topics of discussion and just talk about how well we think GP is doing financially even if it doesn't have any effect on us whatsoever. But, we will try to get ahold of those "attorneys" that we need to speak to about getting God of War, Spiderman, and TLoU on GP. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We'll be there! Mostly to ignore the topics of discussion and just talk about how well we think GP is doing financially even if it doesn't have any effect on us whatsoever. But, we will try to get ahold of those "attorneys" that we need to speak to about getting God of War, Spiderman, and TLoU on GP. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fantastic

I'll add that to the agenda as It'll be interesting to compare which is more in the red

Gamepass profits or my deteriorating mental state thanks to Playstation

It seems obvious that Sony are working on a competitor to Gamepass or a re-imagining of PSNow....
Really?
From the same company that has been saying Gamepass isn't sustainable? That same company is now working on a Gamepass equivalent? And it's "obvious"?

What else are you going to tell us? That they also don't really believe in generations? I don't believe you.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Really?
From the same company that has been saying Gamepass isn't sustainable? That same company is now working on a Gamepass equivalent? And it's "obvious"?

What else are you going to tell us? That they also don't really believe in generations? I don't believe you.
Good moaning!

good morning moaning GIF

DaGwaphics

Fantastic

I'll add that to the agenda as It'll be interesting to compare which is more in the red

Gamepass profits or my deteriorating mental state thanks to Playstation

We primarily want to talk to whoever is the "signer" on these major agreements. They've been taking a lot of heat with people saying they are illiterate and probably don't even know what they sign, it must be hard on them. We'd like to show support by getting a few dated autographs and even a few initials for the kids.

LuciferSatan

Neo Member
lol the fuck? bitch I'm complaining RIGHT NOW lol jk

I still use PS6 and I'm NEVER updating to that new shit lol Look, I don't mind subscription for stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc as I've had them to for a decade plus, but I'm not renting my games, I'm not paying per month for PS or illustrator etc. EVERYTHING doesn't need to be a subscription.

Be like "box subscription of Peanut Brittle" , some shit you don't NEED a subscription for.
I really don't think what we want matters. In the end, things will happen which is most beneficial to the corporates. And these days subs are the rage and that will not change anytime soon and no matter what we do Industry is heading there. Can you imagine Xbox and Sony ever releasing a digital console a few years back? Now, they've done it.

MonarchJT

Banned
this is simply because you, like many, use an old and incorrect metric to measure the (huge) success that gamepass is having. It is clear that it is not ONLY based on the sale of consoles.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It's been around for 4 years but the first three years, no money was put into it. If you look at 2020 to now and what they will do in the future, it's a huge difference between the first three years compared to year four to present and beyond.

In terms of still third in a field of three, that doesn't matter. Console sales are important but just like exclusives, are not the be all ends all. Unlike Sony, Microsoft is attacking console/PC/Mobile markets which makes far more sense then just sticking with consoles where the ceiling is around 130M give or take.

For Microsoft, it's about recurring revenue as opposed to a one time sale that may not yield any future investment from the individual that makes that one time purchase. Once Microsoft gets Game Pass to 30-40m and they will within two years and eliminate the Gold MP paywall which is also old, outdated and obsolete, they will have the platform that's simply the most valuable which in turn eliminates all those deals and keeps the price at $10 a month for the base package which for each individual is $120 a year so that person who may have only purchased a single game from you has now spent the equivalent of two games and at that point, would be staying a subscriber which means that Microsoft will gain more money from that one person this way as opposed to the old way.

We'll see how it all plays out this generation but what I do know is that Microsoft is far from done shaking up this industry and I for one am very much looking forward to seeing it continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
this is simply because you, like many, use an old and incorrect metric to measure the (huge) success that gamepass is having. It is clear that it is not ONLY based on the sale of consoles.
That's unfair, because that's really the only metrics people have. It is up to MS to release more relevant metrics, e.g., GP ROI, GP $15 paying subscribers, how many people are on GP PC and GP Xbox, how many gamers are using the xCloud services on GP, etc.

Top Bottom