• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Network purchases to be taxed starting April 1st 2017

Nanashrew

Banned
Just got an email myself. I live in Texas

vCE87rw.png

That will depend on what State you put on your account. Like $60 + 8% tax (NY) = 64.8 total instead of the usual $60

Of course, if taxes is really coming.
Ah, I just checked and it is actually NY. I haven't received any emails so hopefully the taxes aren't coming lol

Additionally, if NY gets hit by taxes, can I change my state to somewhere else that charges less?

Fat4all

Banned
Just out of curiosity, if you use a PSN pre-paid card, do you get taxed on the card purchase, and/or do you get taxed on purchases using the gift card? I recently bought something with PSN credit and I did not pay tax. I live in South Carolina.

My state doesn't charge taxes for PSN cards in stores I don't think.

Same for gift cards to places like Starbucks and the like.

I think Visa gift cards are taxed, tho.

Vuze

Welcome to the rest of the digital shopping world

Also I think my US located... brother... will move to a no-tax/low-tax for digital goods state soon. 🤔

Thorrgal

Ok so it seems there in Kansas there's no tax. I checked the law and it says Canned Software only. Digital products and Custom Software are exempt. Plus I didn't get an email

molnizzle

Guys.

This has nothing to do with PSN.

PSN only charges tax in states that require it. If the laws in your state change, PSN will change to reflect them. That's it.

Top Bottom