• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Now Beta: Game load times revealed

viveks86

Today a reader that wished to remain anonymous sent us a list of the times it takes for each game currently available in the service to go through the PlayStation Now sharing procedure from launch to the splash screen. He also provided video as evidence, asking not to publish it to protect his identity (and account).

All are less than a minute, which is great for a beta, but I hoped it was faster. Wouldn't it be cool if a game loaded like a movie did on netflix? Oh well…

• Dead or Alive 5: 51.10
  • Disgaea 4: 47.12
  • Papo & Yo: 43.10
  • Killzone 3: 53.49
  • Darksiders II: 50.53
  • MX vs. ATV: Alive: 48.15
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: 50.89
  • Shatter: 39.77
  • Shadow of the Colossus: 53.98
  • Puppeteer: 44.16

More info at source:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/14/playstation-now-heres-how-long-every-game-available-takes-to-load-in-the-beta/

EDIT:

Would be an interesting exercise to time these games on retail hardware and understand how much is the potential overhead. If you guys can share the time it takes to see the first logo/splash screen for any of the games listed, I will update the OP.

Times we know so far (to main title screen):
Dead or Alive 5: 37 (Disc copy)
Puppeteer: 43 (Disc copy)

Times we know so far (to first logo):
Dead or Alive 5: 20 (Disc copy)

Eggbok

I have a completely random, yet relevant question. I've not looked too much into PSN but can you earn trophies for the games you play?

That is how many sandwiches?

People will really get upset about 50 seconds, right?... wow

My post was kind of in jest. I don't think it's that bad for an initial load time, especially considering these are PS3 games. I expect PS1 and PS2 games to be much better, and I also expect even the PS3 load times to improve as they stress test and optimize their servers. On the other hand, it might be pretty rough at launch when everyone is playing at the same time.

How people are disappointed that a beta for streaming entire games takes less than a minute to load, I'll never know.

It's only going to get better with the full release.

I have a completely random, yet relevant question. I've not looked too much into PSN but can you earn trophies for the games you play?

In addition to the other poster's answer, you will even be able to earn trophies for games that never had trophies. You heard me right. If, for example, FFVII for the PS1 ever becomes streamable over PSNow, it will have trophies. Same for every other game.

I thought that was in minutes, not seconds Viv

yikes that would've been bad

A minute is not that bad at all for a game to load

sueil

After playing games for a few years with a SSD a minute seems like an eternity. Load times of 2-3 seconds is what is acceptable to me these days.

Arondight

Not unexpected but they really need to cut the time by at least half if they want it to take off. Quite a large load time on top of latency issues during gameplay isn't going to help push this. Especially if they're pushing this for mobile devices as well.

Gestault

That seems pretty reasonable to me. Depending on selection and performance, I'd consider paying above the PS+ price for access to that.

what is it even doing in these 50 seconds? testing the connection? your local machine is not running the game,the server is

Spiegel

Those are good times. I don't know what you guys were expecting.

The service has to test the connection and prepare the game.

Both Onlive and Gaikai were instant on. It's one of the obvious places where cloud gaming has advantages.

Gaikai wasn't instant at all.

ethomaz

Banned
Almost the combined time to boot PS3 plus disc load... not a big deal for a Cloud service but any improvement will be nice.

Top Bottom