• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Now Beta: Game load times revealed

Wow I can't believe people are complaining about 50 secs. I assume some of that would be authentication and such, so could be sped up. But still... It's only 50 secs.

TheDude711

Neo Member
I don't mind waiting the time at the beginning (as long as it tells me what it's doing so I know it's not stalled out), but once the game starts it needs to be fluid.

Astrates

Less than a minute is fine with me. I'd happily wait that time to play a game I don't own physically or digitally on my hard drive. Don't really see the problem to be honest. So long as once it loads it responds properly.

The Lamp

Aw man. I have to wait an ENTIRE MINUTE TO HAVE ACCESS TO AN ENTIRE GAME!?!?? UGGHHHHH

*sarcasm*

Yeah. Am I the only one that inferred that those in the OP were seconds, not minutes, and suddenly wondered what the big deal was?

They're feeding a console game to you through gatdam cyberspace people. Is a little under a minute really a disappointment? lol

Having the game startup within a minute makes this a moot point for me. What will matter in the end are the load times during gameplay.

In any case, given that I'm not in the US or Europe, I'm in the "PlayStation Never" camp :(

RexNovis

Banned
I can confirm that these times vary. I don't get the same boot up delays on mine. About 9 to 18 seconds shorter across the board.

Disgaea 4: 31 seconds
Killzone 3: 44 seconds
Darksiders II: 38 seconds
Shadow of the Colossus: 42 seconds
Puppeteer: 37 seconds

Not sure if it's due to Internet speed or new slim model ps3. My internet speed is solid though so I'd be inclined to think the difference is due to faster Internet bandwidth (60Mbps down 35Mbps up)

Edit: just tested it again with LTE smartphone tethering for my internet connection and the times were closer in line with the OP all though still a little faster.

Disgaea 4: 41 seconds
Killzone 3: 49 seconds
Darksiders II: 45 seconds
Shadow of the Colossus: 51 seconds
Puppeteer: 48 seconds

tehPete

Banned
Playstation Cymru.

keep-calm-be-welsh-do-it-now-in-a-minute-8.png

TheD

The Detective
Pretty much this. It's not surprising at all considering the entire game is being streamed over the internet. Hopefully the time will go down as internet speeds and processing power increase.

It steams video and audio of the game from a remote system (that has to have latency on the order of 10ths of a second), it does not download any of the game data to your console (anyone should know that!) and thus does not explain the loading time (which is in fact caused by the remote system loading up the game).

I didn't bitch about the load times back then, so I won't bitch about them now. Sure can't make a decent sand which in less than 50 seconds lol.

They're feeding a console game to you through gatdam cyberspace people. Is a little under a minute really a disappointment? lol

Exactly, to me who experienced the Internet on a 28kbps modem, streaming a game like Puppeteer to my home within a minute sounds like witchcraft to me.

Sweet times IMO.

Much quicker than putting a PS4 disc in a PS4, installing content and then patches etc.

DEFINITELY much quicker than trying to play a retail game on an Xbox One.

I have approx 50mbps and currently my PS4 downloaded the Killzone:SF 250mb patch in about 12 seconds, so I'm hoping my experience with this service will be very good.

Edit: just did a speedtest on PS4 and I actually have more than 70mbps. Must have had a free upgrade!

Those are some pretty shit load times, to be honest, not impressed in the slightest. Of course I'm more interested in how they intend to gouge people for the right to play games they don't actually own. Is it going to be like PS+ and you just get access to everything or are they going to try Onlives terrible model of "selling" you the "rights" to play the game.

Shtof

That's a lot faster than going to the store or downloading the entire game like we did before. GAF hyperbole is insane today.

Those are some pretty shit load times, to be honest, not impressed in the slightest. Of course I'm more interested in how they intend to gouge people for the right to play games they don't actually own. Is it going to be like PS+ and you just get access to everything or are they going to try Onlives terrible model of "selling" you the "rights" to play the game.

Subscription by the sounds of it. Like netflix.

I can confirm that these times vary. I don't get the same boot up delays on mine. About 9 to 18 seconds shorter across the board.

Not sure if it's due to Internet speed or new slim model ps3. My internet speed is solid though so I'd be inclined to think the difference is due to faster Internet bandwidth (60Mbps down 35Mbps up)

Edit: just tested it again with LTE smartphone tethering for my internet connection and the times were closer in line with the OP all though still a little faster.

How about lag and frames per second?

ShinMaruku

In a country where the busiest bridge in the world is 80 years old I fear for some people with Now, me personally I give zero fucks about cloud gaming for many reasons from infrastructure to I don't trust them to actually hold the service well, to I want the game in my hands..etc

BigDug13

Isn't it spinning up one of their proprietary console slices within a server each time? Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare it to how long it takes you to turn on your PS3 and launch that game instead of just the time it takes to launch the game.

compared to the disk load times its pretty ok i quess
also the xbone has to load some time longer than the ps4 and no one complains about it

Stimpack

I love how people are somewhat disappointed, as if there's a legitimate reason to be.

(edit) Though it seems like the people complaining about the people complaining might be outweighing them. Go team!

FrankWza

Isn't it obvious load times allow the game to buffer which will eliminate input lag? I would even welcome the option to partial install. Damn...

Load times aren't the issue with cloud gaming.... seems really stupid to even bring it up.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. It's not like we can get instantly into games nowadays anyway. This is just some shit for people on forums to talk about. Which is OK, I guess.

What really matters is latency during gameplay. I would wait several minutes for games to load if it meant I had a 20 year library/buffet of titles with little to no gameplay lag time.

Melchiah

How's the UI of the service, and how long does it take to startup the app?

yurinka

Pretty good times, specially when compared when you need to normal PS3 downloads, where you need to download the full game and its updates to start playing.

Maybesew

I'm surprised how little mentions this beta has been getting. Is it under strict NDA? Are there any full lists of the available games out there?

I'm confused as to why people seem so disappointed in these numbers. They don't seem unreasonable to me at all. An "instant on" would imply the game is already running on some server somewhere, just waiting for you to tap into it, which seems impractical given how little some older games might get played. And as was pointed out in the OP, some of those load times might not have even be that different from popping a disk in and waiting for the game to start. I don't know. Maybe I have lower expectations of what a system like this should be able to offer.

Top Bottom