• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game Catalog lineup for October: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City – The Definitive Edition, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age, A

Rran

Dragon Quest is so good in all its forms.

To clarify a couple things, the Definitive Edition is based off the Switch build and does look worse than the PS4 original version. That said, it adds a metric ton of additions, enhancements, and quality of life features, not the least of which is fully orchestrated music (you want this, trust me), and an entire 2D demake of the game built in. Extra chapters, more items, more costumes, and a generally smoother play experience are all bonuses as well.

Well, that settles it. My sub expired earlier this month and I've been waiting to see what the offerings will be before deciding what tier I'll be doing for the next year, Extra it is, Sony *really* dropped the ball with their Classics offerings, have to keep it real.

On the other hand, the Extra tier has continued to deliver. I've already beaten the AC games, Dragon Quest XI is fantastic as is the DQ Heroes series, it's more action RPG than musou. I'll check out The Medium and revisit Vice City.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Is extra the one thats like $99? Is it on top of PS Plus, or is that like included by default with extra and premium?

I believe if essential is $69, that’s the annual price.

On the main ps plus page and yup combined with essential + extra

EDMIX

I believe if essential is $69, that’s the annual price.

On the main ps plus page and yup combined with essential + extra

I see, that makes much more sense then.

I'll consider it for a year as I have a lot of next gen games to catch up on, a lot of once overs and I'll just switch back to essential after those titles are beaten. I'll check that list to see if it has anything I actually care about, only Demon Souls and Returnal might be played by me, but I was also looking to get AC Valhalla used this black friday so.....maaaaybe.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
PS+ Extra

Happy Fun GIF by reactionseditor

Neolombax

Finally get to play AC Syndicate. Heard good things about it. Vice City seems cool, I've never actually played it, now seems like a good time as any. DQ Builders got pretty good reviews so curious to try that out too. To those curious, I'd recommend DQ Heroes, especially the first one. Its mindless fun.

Mobilemofo

Premiums been shit so far. Give it another quarter. Buck ya ideas up Sony or I'm going back to the Atari lynx and California games...

Gangster. 😆

Rykan

Dragon Quest is so good in all its forms.

To clarify a couple things, the Definitive Edition is based off the Switch build and does look worse than the PS4 original version. That said, it adds a metric ton of additions, enhancements, and quality of life features, not the least of which is fully orchestrated music (you want this, trust me), and an entire 2D demake of the game built in. Extra chapters, more items, more costumes, and a generally smoother play experience are all bonuses as well.
Also runs at 60 FPS I believe.

Lupin25

I see, that makes much more sense then.

I'll consider it for a year as I have a lot of next gen games to catch up on, a lot of once overs and I'll just switch back to essential after those titles are beaten. I'll check that list to see if it has anything I actually care about, only Demon Souls and Returnal might be played by me, but I was also looking to get AC Valhalla used this black friday so.....maaaaybe.

Hear ya. Valhalla might be a nice little winter playthrough. Snowy vibes lol. It’s horribly bloated though, so even if you enjoy the game’s core mechanics you may grow frustratingly tired with traversal.

That’s why I skipped it. Odyssey was enough open-world for me this past generation lol.

But yeah, there is Demon’s souls, Death Stranding DC, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Guardians of the Galaxy, $70 gems if you’ve never gotten the chance to purchase. Hoping they add games like Kena, Sifu, Legacy of Thieves Collection in the near future too.

I’d like something good other than something just to pass the time too until Ragnarök.

EDMIX

Hear ya. Valhalla might be a nice little winter playthrough. Snowy vibes lol. It’s horribly bloated though, so even if you enjoy the game’s core mechanics you may grow frustratingly tired with traversal.

That’s why I skipped it. Odyssey was enough open-world for me this past generation lol.

But yeah, there is Demon’s souls, Death Stranding DC, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Guardians of the Galaxy, $70 gems if you’ve never gotten the chance to purchase. Hoping they add games like Kena, Sifu, Legacy of Thieves Collection in the near future too.

I’d like something good other than something just to pass the time too until Ragnarök.

True, at my age I'm not doing much 100%s anymore lol Even for titles I like thats becoming pretty rare and I'd rather beat the main story, get them cliffnotes, get them sparknotes and sprinkle a few side quest and call it a day lol

I'll probably check out Guardians Of The Galaxy and Demon Souls remake as those are the only ones that I didn't play. So its pretty hard if you are a hardcore consumer as its mostly a list of what you already own lol So thus far, its enough for me to greatly consider it, especially for the last few titles that released last year and 2020, that I'd rather once over. Most of what I want to play next year, I just don't see me waiting for it to come to extra and merely buying around launch like FFXVI, Spiderman 2 etc. So If i keep it for a year, a few games should suffice

Demon Souls
Spiderman Miles Morales
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Metro Exodus
Returnal
AC Valhalla
Guardians Of The Galaxy

Its good enough for that and anything else that comes next year I guess as I was going to buy a chunk of that list used and most I won't really replay, Spiderman might be the only one based on its length.

Does stuff leave this service and if so do you get notice of when its leaving
Rather shortly after (re)launch Shadow Warrior 3 and Syberia left.
Killzone shadow fall intercept (only intercept!) the month after or something. So far I think the only Sony title that left.
Edit: WRC 10 was then the next. /e
RDR2 left just recently. RDR 1 soon
PGA 2021 (?) after RDR2.

pushsquare has a good list of infos. Better than the official playstation list which seems to be incapable to differentiate between EU and US offer and giving no infos about leaving. Which is an embarassing fact. The section "leaving soon" on your console is filled I think 1 week before it does. Which is imho a bit short. Though your game stays licensed at least 2 weeks longer (I disconnectet my internet, but maybe it does anyway).
SOMA is going to leave according to them next week.

They started with almost 800 games and while some games switched from Extra to Essential and very few left, it increased definitely so far. Since way too many games interest me, in both upper tiers, I hope most will stay long and if some leave it won't be a bunch on one date with me struggling to decide which I try to finish before.

Last edited:

tommib

You are just going to have to try and stretch a Yakuza game to last two days I guess, good luck
Yakuza is such a special series for me because of how it hit me.

There was this guy that used to write game reviews on a blog and he gave 5 stars to Yakuza 3 when it came out. I wrote to him saying that I never tried these games and always trusted his taste. He just said I should really try it.

So I get a used copy for my PS3 going completely blind in a way. I watch the recaps and fall asleep. I rewatch them, launch the game and fall asleep during the intros. I try again and fall asleep further down in some of the first cutscenes. Eventually I get some degree of freedom and I start a very simple quest on a street market. All of a sudden it hit me. The mundanity and the humanity of the characters, and the super down to earth dialogue was a total breath of fresh air. These were real people with the most basic problems that we all go through.

By the time you’re running this school by the beach and you basically feel like a father I was overwhelmed. I love these games but I never got that Yakuza 3 novelty again.

Will try the Remaster for a couple of hours just for the nostalgia.

Last edited:

wvnative

Yakuza 7 is like a dragon right? Haven't beaten it but it's pretty great yo...but DQ is. Goat material for me.
Yeah I'm just lazy lol, also my only friend that likes yakuza only ever calls it 7 so i think it rubbed off on me.

Sounds like i'm trying it on Tuesday. Anything I should know before jumping in? Never even tried a DQ game before.

scydrex

I only paid 13€ to upgrade to Extra, cuz it expires the same day as my basic PS+, so was around 120 days of sub for only 13€ that paid itself the moment i doanloaded 1 game.

Its actually a nice "hack" to pay less for the Extra tiers. Just sub 1 year of the basic PS+, keep it that way for some months while the PS+ tiers keep getting filling with games, then upgrade for Extra for less money cuz you will only pay based on how many days you have left on ur normal PS+ sub.

For those 13€ i paid, i already played:

- Demons Souls PS5 (beat it twice)

- Returnal (droped it after around 20 hours of frustation, fuck rogue-like games)

- Guardians of the Galaxy (beat it)

- SM Miles Morales (Beat it)

- Metro Exodus (Beat it)

- Ass Creed Valhalla (Finished the main story and a few side content)

- DeathLoop (Beat it)

- Stray (Beat it)

And a few other smaller indie games, some finsihed others didnt liked it and droped them.

I subbed for $85.

- Demons Souls PS5 (beat it and will play it again)

- Returnal (beat it)

- Guardians of the Galaxy (brought it for $20 in January)

- SM Miles Morales (Beat it)

- Metro Exodus (Brought it for around $10-15)

- Ass Creed Valhalla (Will play it)

- DeathLoop (bought it for $20 in January)

- Stray (Beat it)

- Death Stranding (beat it)

-Ghost of Tsushima (beat it)

-Yakuza 7 Like a Dragon (is an essential not Extra game but beat it )

Last edited:
I subbed for $85.

- Demons Souls PS5 (beated it and will play it again)

- Returnal (beated it)

- Guardians of the Galaxy (brought it for $20 in January)

- SM Miles Morales (Beated it)

- Metro Exodus (Brought it for around $10-15)

- Ass Creed Valhalla (Will play it)

- DeathLoop (bought it for $20 in January)

- Stray (Beated it)

- Death Stranding (beated it)

-Ghost of Tsushima (beated it)

-Yakuza 7 Like a Dragon (is an essential not Extra game but beated it )

The number of times you said beated it instead of beat it, absolutely triggered me.

Kokoloko85

My guess is they're having difficulty with licensing. Especially licensing PAL and NTSC games. They're probably waiting for a fix so that they don't have to license multiple versions of the game for specific regions.

Its weird because the library they have of PS1/PS2/PSP games on the PS3 and Vita stores is pretty decent

They're not PS1/2/P classics. What they're doing is rubbish.
People might disagree what a classic is, but I guess Sony has the numbers which games have downloads and which have less. Proper classics probably never moved huge numbers, so they lean into recent streams and remasters. I mean younger people might have heard of Killzone and Resistance and try them, but Syphon Filter?
I can't imagine that many people would flock to your service for "old garbage" despite fans calling this strategy rubbish.
It is pretty clear for now that subscribing to Premium for old classics is rather pointless and since they have not promised to shift the focus it might stay this way for a while. It's just no product for PS1/2/P fans.

Top Bottom