• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus games for January: Persona 5 Strikers, Dirt 5, Deep Rock Galactic

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
and yet it's the PS5 exclusive dualsense features which makes me most want to give Dirt 5 a shot. I bet you'll say something similar when the worst version of deathloop hits gamepass. Wreckfest was also on PS+ and FH5 is on PC so there's ways to get that too. I got tired of FH5 in 2 days.
I'm going to download Dirt 5 just to check out the Dualsence features to see if it makes it any better as I wasn't that impressed with it all on Xbox (from a gameplay point of view and dull numb racing physics)
But I don't get your worst version of Deathloop comment ? Gamepass isn't PS plus for example where you get the PS4 version of Mortal Shell on PS5. Deathloop will be the XSX version etc.

I'm going to download Dirt 5 just to check out the Dualsence features to see if it makes it any better as I wasn't that impressed with it all on Xbox (from a gameplay point of view and dull numb racing physics)
But I don't get your worst version of Deathloop comment ? Gamepass isn't PS plus for example where you get the PS4 version of Mortal Shell on PS5. Deathloop will be the XSX version etc.
Well Deathloop on GamePass won't be as good as PC can be graphically, and it won't have the awesome dualsense integration that's on PS5. So it's a less immersive and less graphical game compared to it's "competition". I have a hard time liking any racing game that doesn't have combat or at least Burnout Takedown type turbo. I'll probably skip GT7 for instance. But they could win me over if they get really good with the dualsense and maybe even VR when it comes to GT. I need something extra to get me excited for racing games without combat basically.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well Deathloop on GamePass won't be as good as PC can be graphically, and it won't have the awesome dualsense integration that's on PS5. So it's a less immersive and less graphical game compared to it's "competition". I have a hard time liking any racing game that doesn't have combat or at least Burnout Takedown type turbo. I'll probably skip GT7 for instance. But they could win me over if they get really good with the dualsense and maybe even VR when it comes to GT. I need something extra to get me excited for racing games without combat basically.
If Deathloop is on GP it will be on PC so it will be as good as you can get it graphically on aGP if you have the system.
I'd keep away from GT7 if I was you. Stick to Crash Racing or similar.

Superwave

Banned
Dirt seems fun and looks WAY better than I initially thought and I am on performance mode too!

edit- Turned the traction and stability control from low to off and seems even better :)

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
Turn off driver aids in Dirt 5. That brings it alive more. Especially the first time you race in a buggy!! (race 4 I think) On tarmac you need to watch your throttle and the gameplay is intense, there's a real sense of power here. First time I've had Motorstorm Pacific Rift vibes since the real deal on PS3. Up until this point even with driver aids off it is very easy.

The graphics on this dirt buggy track (day to night) are really vivid. Loving it so far, can't believe I ignored it. Great PS+ game.

Last edited:

Aenima

Started playing P5 Strikers, and loving it almost as much as the main Persona 5 game. I still like more the turn based combat from the original, but the dungeon exploration is much better in this one so far.

Also love that the 1st boss character is a fashion influencer turning ppl into simps :D

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If getting one of the best bullet hell shooters ever made is bad, I don't want to live anymore.

Enjoy your Dwarf mining game we already had on Gamepass since launch.
“We”

Funny GIF

Wise up

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Turn off driver aids in Dirt 5. That brings it alive more. Especially the first time you race in a buggy!! (race 4 I think) On tarmac you need to watch your throttle and the gameplay is intense, there's a real sense of power here. First time I've had Motorstorm Pacific Rift vibes since the real deal on PS3. Up until this point even with driver aids off it is very easy.

The graphics on this dirt buggy track (day to night) are really vivid. Loving it so far, can't believe I ignored it. Great PS+ game.
I have aids off, its one of the first things I do with racers. But I have to admit it's been a year since I last played it and it seems a lot better. Performance is a lot better now even on Series S and I think they have updated the rumble support on consoles as it was absolutely awful on Xbox ( you can now alter lots of different settings on the rumble on Xbox) and that makes the connection to the surface better.
I still think some of the big 4x4 vehicles are a bit dull to drive, but yeah I'm quite enjoying it, far more than a launch.
Also the AI seems a lot better, as in, last time I played it you would get to the front of the pack 20 seconds after the start and just sit there miles ahead without putting any effort in or miles behind without any chance of catching them. Seems more balanced now.
The rumble is a lot nicer on Dualsence than Xbox controller but not game changing and I'm a bit confused and not liking the DS triggers. Why does the accelerator go stiff. I get the brake but its strange and distracts me but a least you can turn them off and just have the rumble on.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I guess I played Dirt 5 on Xbox and completely forgot about it. Not exactly a glowing recommendation.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Played Dirt 5 for about an hour and uninstalled. Wreck fest is better than this game by a mile. Terrible handling, and the whole dude bro tone is a killer for me. Played a bit of Deep Rock Galactic and it’s just not a game I see myself putting a lot of time in to. Will play strikers when I’ve finished Persona 5.

Ogbert

Really disappointed with P5 Strikers.

The pacing is all off. Absurd levels of dialogue and interruption.

N° 2048

Sorry, people invested in other ecosystems (outside of Playstation) already got it free for months now.

That better?
Vhs Kiss GIF by vhspositive

Good timing for me actually, had to catch up on God of War, TLOU, Ratchet, Demon Souls, Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima and FF7R.

You must be really high level in Deep Rock Galactic!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So Deep Rock Galactic is the kind of game where you just do procedural missions for the sake of getting better stuff so you can do more missions, with no actual goal to anything. The gameplay seems pretty good, but I have a really hard time getting into aimless experiences like that. Feels like a F2P game.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

So Deep Rock Galactic is the kind of game where you just do procedural missions for the sake of getting better stuff so you can do more missions, with no actual goal to anything. The gameplay seems pretty good, but I have a really hard time getting into aimless experiences like that. Feels like a F2P game.
God forbid we play games simply because they are fun.

Mossybrew

the whole dude bro tone is a killer for me.

Heh, yeah, had to turn the music off immediately. The whole 80's neon bright aesthetic is kinda weird too. Also not really a fan of how many different types of car categories there are, like you could spend your money on a car upgrade but depending on the race type you might not be able to use that care for like 4 or 5 races cause they all use different kinds of cars. Most of them look pretty dumb too.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm the same. It's an okay game to play with friends and chill, but I'm already a bit bored and not even level 10.

The only thing that's interesting for me is getting upgrades for weapons, gadgets, etc. and trying them out.

Also I hate the art style and colors of the game (except when at the hub/base).

Last edited:

Ogbert

Too much dialog? Its Persona.
But P5, which I loved (although only made it to the fifth dungeon), managed to pace things so much better. The dialogue was always relevant.

It’s the total opposite here. Just constant irritating interruptions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
God forbid we play games simply because they are fun.

God forbid me wanting something for strive for when playing a game, some goal to work towards. Maybe this game does have that, but it seemed to be mostly "do missions so you can do more missions, forever".

Love the dual sense features in Dirt 5. It really is a game changer. It especially feels good in the heavy dirt stages.

Like P5S too but it looks like ass on my 4k tv. Why couldn't they add a sharpening or 16 AF settings to help w/ the jaggies?

Riky

$MSFT
Dirt 5 is everything I hate about the triggers on DualSense. I shouldn't have to apply so much pressure to initiate them. Throttle and brake pedals don't work like that.

I didn't understand that either, why would you have resistance on your throttle pedal? It doesn't make any sense.

RAIDEN1

and yet it's the PS5 exclusive dualsense features which makes me most want to give Dirt 5 a shot. I bet you'll say something similar when the worst version of deathloop hits gamepass. Wreckfest was also on PS+ and FH5 is on PC so there's ways to get that too. I got tired of FH5 in 2 days.
I didn't I am loving FH5, ironically it is giving me the Motostorm pacific rift vibes, I couldn't get into FH4....and had no hesitation in deleting that off my library soon as FH5 was available...

I didn't I am loving FH5, ironically it is giving me the Motostorm pacific rift vibes, I couldn't get into FH4....and had no hesitation in deleting that off my library soon as FH5 was available...
I just have a hard time getting into any driving game without combat or turbo. It's more of a me thing I think.

SkylineRKR

Started playing P5 Strikers, and loving it almost as much as the main Persona 5 game. I still like more the turn based combat from the original, but the dungeon exploration is much better in this one so far.

Also love that the 1st boss character is a fashion influencer turning ppl into simps :D

I don't like the combat as much either, but I'm also not feeling the dungeons though they are wider. Its a lot like P5 though, the presentation, VA, art etc is all there. Which is a good thing.

The influencer brainwashing guys into simps is pretty good.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
God forbid me wanting something for strive for when playing a game, some goal to work towards. Maybe this game does have that, but it seemed to be mostly "do missions so you can do more missions, forever".

It's a co-op shooter with player progression. The increasing difficulty is the reward.

. . . honestly just sounds like you don't like those kinds of games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a co-op shooter with player progression. The increasing difficulty is the reward.

. . . honestly just sounds like you don't like those kinds of games.

Which is exactly what I wrote. Let me quote myself:

"I have a really hard time getting into aimless experiences like that."

So what's the problem exactly? I never claimed this is a game nobody could ever possibly enjoy. Just that people who prefer games with goals (like me) probably won't.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Which is exactly what I wrote. Let me quote myself:

"I have a really hard time getting into aimless experiences like that."

So what's the problem exactly? I never claimed this is a game nobody could ever possibly enjoy. Just that people who prefer games with goals (like me) probably won't.

And again, the game isn't aimless. There are goals. However, if you want a narrative end, it's not there - hence why I said the game isn't for you (just not for the reasons you think, as stated previously).

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And again, the game isn't aimless. There are goals. However, if you want a narrative end, it's not therr - hence why I said the game isn't for you (just buy for the reasons you think, as stated previously).

What are those goals except for mining more stuff so you can mine more stuff? I know the individual missions have different objectives.

Inviusx

What are those goals except for mining more stuff so you can mine more stuff? I know the individual missions have different objectives.

If you reduce it to its bare forumla it's exactly what you're thinking, running missions over and over again to level the 4 classes, gain new weapons/gadgets/perks and cosmetics for each class and then running those same missions on higher difficulties to get better rewards. Think of it kinda like Diablo gear farming except you have a clear progression path laid put before rather than RNG.

So if the above is not your type of experience then yeah, probably not worth your time.

That being said, I've been addicted to the game since it hit PS Plus, it's wonderful and full of really smart design and fantastic class synergy/coop. ROCK AND STONE!

Top Bottom