• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

MrPliskin

Banned
It's cheaper than netflix, and it's for PSN Games. I don't see the problem.

Shogun PaiN said:
Utter load of shit its $49.99 for nothing but pure fluff.

Was really hoping Sony would add some expected features to the PSN like Cross game chat and Part chat to put MS to shame for charging for it. Instead Live can now be justified by MS because of the extra features.

I'd rather pay for real content than real features that should be free since they are all Peer 2 Peer.

The ironic thing about Full Game trial is that renting games is as cheap as £3.50 a month here, and you keep it for as you like instead of just one hour. Although for people who don't know about the miracle of renting games, this will be a tempting offer.

CryptiK said:
People paid for it on Xbox.. why not on PS3

I think what he's saying is that they were never free on the Xbox 360 originally whereas (in his opinion) Sony are monetizing things that have been free on PSN.

chubigans said:
You're missing the point. It's like Netflix, except you get to keep all the discs you order from their website...but once you're not a member, you have to send them all back and buy them if you want to continue watching them.

Well, that and Netflix decides to send which movies you're gonna get each month. :p

With Netflix you can stream or get any disc in their entire database. With the PSN plus do I have unlimited access o everything on PSN while I'm a subscriber?

CryptiK said:

Because people have no choice if they want to play MP? If XBL didn't have MP included in the price I wouldn't pay at all. Not even close.

Full Game Trial though, it mentions Blu Ray games. Obviously right now there's only a few on the store. So what, every retail game will be downloadable to play for 1hr?

D

ShogunX

CryptiK said:

Because the problem is the things you have to pay for aren't available on the other consoles. Does MS have cross game chat patented or something? I really dont understand why it hasn't come out yet on the PSN.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're giving away LBP free if you sign up?

Downloadable? Or through the post?

After the rumour that it'd be only PSone games that would be given 'free' to PSN+ people, I think getting regular psn games or even games like WipeoutHD free (per the conference) is a nice surprise. 4 in total a month is pretty decent as long as they don't serve dregs.

KZObsessed said:
I can't see any reason to spend money on this.
Same here. I find the thought process behind this to be kind of insulting to tell you the truth. Its right up there with horse armor.

Give us money. Maybe later we'll figure out how to make it worthwhile.

Chris_C

Meus Renaissance said:
I think what he's saying is that they were never free on the Xbox 360 originally whereas (in his opinion) Sony are monetizing things that have been free on PSN.

Which things, specifically?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
micromagic said:
More details up on SCEE blog. Will get this for full game trial alone.
Each month there will be a selection of one PSN game, two minis and one PS one classics available on PlayStation Store for you to download. You also get premium avatars and dynamic themes each month, many of which are exclusive to members.

so do you get to keep that stuff or do you have to choose something new each month?

Danielsan

There simply is no hook in this.
Sure the fee is low, but the content you're getting is a gamble.
Also you don't own it when you stop the sub? That would be horse shit.

Shogun PaiN said:
Because the problem is the things you have to pay for aren't available on the other consoles. Does MS have cross game chat patented or something? I really dont understand why it hasn't come out yet on the PSN.

I heard some rumours that Sony opened up more memory resources for the XMB recently but it took them an eternity to even allow access of the XMB in-game. I think it could be a technical issue more so than a patent one

Meh, I don't know about this. It could pay off well (as I don't even have Wipeout HD yet, for example) but I don't see myself subscribing.

receive the latest game updates for all the games you play, PS3 system software updates and even have game demos sent directly to you
Just set the time you want to receive them and your PS3 will automatically wake up and download everything

So good but it should be a standard firmware feature :(

Don't mean to spam, but I just haven't gotten a handle on this at all.

But here's a clue Sony: Give us cross-game chat and a party system. Then we'll be all ears to whatever you have in mind.

Also, it would be a good thing to include some kind of MMO subscription details and how it relates to PSN+. Right now it seems like this service is just being tossed into the wild, without much thought or creativity behind it.

I'm glad they're not charging for cross game chat (so it seems), but...

where the fuck is cross game chat???

They didn't talk about new firmware AT ALL during the conference. smh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't care.

The big thing is that most people who pay for XBL are paying to play online. The little goodies are great, they help people resubscribe, they probably lower the threshold for subscription, but the main driver remains online play.

I already have online play on the PS3, so this doesn't add as much value. Also, many of the bullet points for PSN+ are things that are true or moot on the 360; for example, automatic game patches seems awesome on PS3, but on the 360 it'd be pretty much irrelevant. Qore being included makes sense, but the 360's video content (while not as substantial as Qore; Microsoft goes for lots of small videos rather than a few robust shows) is all free. Early demos are good, but the 360 has demos for all XBLA games, has similar leverage with third parties--so really the only advantage here is early demos for Sony 1st party titles.

The free games and shop discounts are both very unique points, but they're tough to value. Free games, even as a "rental" format, are a great idea--if the games they provide are great games. If they're poor games or the frequency of content goes down, not such a great idea. Shop discounts is strictly a mathematical thing; like Costco, if you save more than your membership costs, you win. If you save less than your membership costs, you lose.

I don't see any way I'd pay for this because of the above. As a multiconsole owner, I feel bad for Sony. They're offering me the reason why I pay Microsoft for free, and as a result I'm not going to pay them. That's a shitty catch 22, really, but I think it's going to be a reality for a lot of multiplatform owners.

confused

Banned
Same price as LIVE and FREE games every month? I'm in, as long as the games stay yours forever as long as you have a PS+ membership. Ride it out to the end of the generation and never have to spend a penny on the PS store ever. Awesome !!

Yeef

If I heard correctly that you get Qore with your subscription then I don't think it's too bad of a deal. It's basically $25 for some 'free' games and access.

That said, I have little to no interest in any of the features other than auto-downloading and that isn't worth $50 a year to me. I'm optimistic about the fact that cross-game chat and invites weren't mentioned. That leads me to believe that they WON'T be PS+ plus-only features when/if they're implemented.

Chris_C said:
Which things, specifically?

I touched on it in a previous comment. Right now there are two main online console services, Live and PSN. Both have a very similar release schedule of 3rd party content e.g. demos and Beta's (that are open to both consoles). When PSN+ states that subscribers will get early access to demos and beta's, there are two possible scenarios.

1. They have an agreement with developers to release demos and open beta's earlier for PSN+. I don't think that's feasible unless Sony tie up exclusivity rights like Microsoft did with MW2 DLC. But to have exclusivity rights for every demo and Beta access?

2. Or what is more likely, the current release schedule of betas and demos will be for PSN subscribers and hence those not paying will have the demos delayed, just like how it is for Silver members on Xbox Live. That seems fair enough but unlike Silver members, PS3 owners are losing out on something they've had for years to justify this premium service.

This is just what's being assumed right now

Stumpokapow said:
Don't care.

The big thing is that most people who pay for XBL are paying to play online. The little goodies are great, they help people resubscribe, they probably lower the threshold for subscription, but the main driver remains online play.

I already have online play on the PS3, so this doesn't add as much value. Also, many of the bullet points for PSN+ are things that are true or moot on the 360; for example, automatic game patches seems awesome on PS3, but on the 360 it'd be pretty much irrelevant. Qore being included makes sense, but the 360's video content (while not as substantial as Qore; Microsoft goes for lots of small videos rather than a few robust shows) is all free. Early demos are good, but the 360 has demos for all XBLA games, has similar leverage with third parties--so really the only advantage here is early demos for Sony 1st party titles.

The free games and shop discounts are both very unique points, but they're tough to value. Free games, even as a "rental" format, are a great idea--if the games they provide are great games. If they're poor games or the frequency of content goes down, not such a great idea. Shop discounts is strictly a mathematical thing; like Costco, if you save more than your membership costs, you win. If you save less than your membership costs, you lose.

I don't see any way I'd pay for this because of the above. As a multiconsole owner, I feel bad for Sony. They're offering me the reason why I pay Microsoft for free, and as a result I'm not going to pay them. That's a shitty catch 22, really, but I think it's going to be a reality for a lot of multiplatform owners.

You know what would have been sweet? If they added a free rental of a HD movie each month. And you can keep the movie for a whole week. And for each month you don't rent, the consequent month will see you able to rent X amount of movies for the X amount of months you didn't

BeeDog

The only thing that could've pushed me into "buy" territory would be cloud saves. Too bad nothing came out of that.

Magnus

I'm confused. Why would you own anything granted to you during the sub after you cancel the sub? That defeats the purpose of subscribing.

BeeDog said:
The only thing that could've pushed me into "buy" territory would be cloud saves. Too bad nothing came out of that.

Also, what does this mean? Do you have multiple PS3s to access saves from? I clearly don't understand what cloud save means here, I guess.

gcubed

BeeDog said:

it was the most vague part of the conference and was really mindboggling that they didn't really even talk about it more.

I agree though, cloud saves would get me to try it out for a 3 month period

Another question is what if you start, stop then start again? When you start again will you get back the stuff from your first subscription? :lol

So far this sounds like "Onlive PS3". Here are lots of games, if you want to play them keep paying. You can stop paying at anytime but then you will no longer have access to all the things you have paid for so far.

What arbitrary silliness! :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jayb said:

Heck if I know guys. It's Sony. Cross game voice chat was supposed to be mentioned, but it was oddly omitted. Perhaps it's not part of the PlayStation Plus anymore? I was told what AndyD assumed in the other thread.

Nightz

Will a firmware update be needed to support this? Maybe cross game chat will be a stealth update? Yeah I'm dreaming.

gcubed

ChronicleX said:
Another question is what if you start, stop then start again? When you start again will you get back the stuff from your first subscription? :lol

So far this sounds like "Onlive PS3". Here are lots of games, if you want to play them keep paying. You can stop paying at anytime but then you will no longer have access to all the things you have paid for so far.

What arbitrary silliness! :lol

you get free things as part of your subscription, if the subscription ends, you don't have those free things... not sure how this is at ALL like onlive ps3, or what is so hard to comprehend?

Nightz said:
Will a firmware update be needed to support this? Maybe cross game chat will be a stealth update? Yeah I'm dreaming.

That would be great, but I really doubt it.

I have officially given up hope now.

acm2000

D4Danger said:

so do you get to keep that stuff or do you have to choose something new each month?

this, sounds like you basically rent the games for one month, then have to choose new ones next month

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
You guys are weird. You hate that you'd have to pay for cross-game chat when its a rumor, then you bitch when it isn't in?

Then you bitch even more because you get free games instead?

What?

edit: The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is paying for auto-updates. That should be free. Real talk.

BeeDog

Magnus said:
I'm confused. Why would you own anything granted to you during the sub after you cancel the sub? That defeats the purpose of subscribing.

Also, what does this mean? Do you have multiple PS3s to access saves from? I clearly don't understand what cloud save means here, I guess.

I don't have multiple PS3's, but having saves sync to a server is appealing, and I'd seriously pay (among the other features) for a continuous backup of my saves.

besiktas1

Wait I'm confused, is games on demand coming to ps3 now or what? 1hr free trials for plus users then option to buy... why not let us all have the option to buy games on demand. Better for consumers who (like me) enjoy digital copies and makes more business sense. :/

Chris_C

The news of PSN+, and the Sorcery video have me most excited at the moment, I'm hoping to hear more details about what they have planned. I sure hope we get a good PSN updated today.

TTP said:
Heck if I know guys. It's Sony. Cross game voice chat was supposed to be mentioned, but it was oddly omitted. Perhaps it's not part of the PlayStation Plus anymore? I was told what AndyD assumed in the other thread.

I've been told its going to be free and a lot of content was bumped from the conference. Gamescom should be interesting.

MechDX

Seems to me that Sony see's the revenue MS generates from LIVE and wants to copy but at the same time doesnt want to upset its userbase. Somewhere down the line both Sony and Nintendo will copy MS and charge for full online play.

Shambles

MechDX said:
Seems to me that Sony see's the revenue MS generates from LIVE and wants to copy but at the same time doesnt want to upset its userbase. Somewhere down the line both Sony and Nintendo will copy MS and charge for full online play.

Pretty much, but most people don't have much foresight to see this. Sony, there was a reason I went with you this generation and not Microsoft, it doesn't appear that you understand your userbase. Not having to wait 20-30 minutes everytime I boot up my machine that random time to patch and update my OS and game isn't a 'payable' feature.

I need to go back to the conference video, but I swear it sounds like he said everyone got 3 months free. Instead the site say it is 3 months free with a paid year subscription.

Top Bottom