• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
psplus.jpg

http://us.playstation.com/playstation-plus/

PS Blog info here (must read): http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010...nches-next-week-check-out-what-its-all-about/

Lifted from the site:

PlayStation®Plus delivers a whole new level of access and convenience so you can spend more time doing what you love…playing games! PlayStation®Plus includes cool stuff like Full Game Trial where you can try before you buy. Or, have the opportunity to get early access or invitations to select demos and betas. Best of all, the value pays off with killer exclusive discounts and free games and content from PlayStation®Store.

FULL GAME TRIAL said:
A great way to try before you buy - play a game for up to one hour, then purchase the game to unlock your trophies and continue your progress.

AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS said:
PlayStation®Plus downloads select demos, patches and firmware updates automatically, so you don’t have to think about it.

PS STORE DISCOUNTS said:
Save money on stuff you’re buying anyway with discounts on games of up to 50%. These discounts alone make PlayStation® Plus worth it. Straight cash perks to perk your thumbs up.

EXCLUSIVE OFFERS said:
Access to select avatars, themes, and other items other folks can't get – at least not until long after you’ve been there, done that.

FREE GAMES AND DOWNLOADS said:
The free stuff adds up to way more than the cash you’re putting down. Think about it. Get select free games, add-ons and other downloads. Now that’s a deal.

SELECT EARLY DEMOS said:
There will be occasions where you will get early access to some demos before all the other common folk. That’s pretty sweet.

PRIORITY BETA INVITATIONS said:
You’ll be the first to receive invitations on select Betas.

"And much more..."

Priced at $50 per year or $18 per three months.

-------------

Original topic:

Just announced. More details soon, but here's what I remember:

-Get a selection of free games every month
-Auto downloads of content and patches
-Exclusive content and DLC
-"Title trials" of games (dunno what that means)

$50 a year. Coming later this month. This month's features are:

Free games (owned only during your PS+ subscription)
-Wipeout HD
-Fieldrunners/Age of Zombies PSP/PS3 Minis
-Rally Cross PS3/PSP
-Infamous Title Trial

Normal online multiplayer/services are still free.

venne

I didn't see the appeal of Qore and I don't see the appeal of this.

If Sony wants to make money from online gaming, they'll need to charge to play like on Xbox. Online play is the only 'killer app' to sell people.

This essentially amounts to a rental service.

jayb

chubigans said:

-Wipeout HD
-Rally Cross PS3/PSP
-Infamous Title Trial

so this is like a new Sega Sony Channel?

Jarlaxle

venne said:
I didn't see the appeal of Qore and I don't see the appeal of this.

If Sony wants to make money from online gaming, they'll need to charge to play like on Xbox. Online play is the only 'killer app' to sell people.

This essentially amounts to a rental service.

Yeah, but $50.00 per year to rent a bunch of games isn't too bad as long as they keep giving you free games every couple of months.

kaskade

I'm so used to paying for XBL I must be used to it. I'll probably try it out. Hopefully they keep delivering on free game stuffs. If it saves me from code hunting for betas I'm game.

Sophia

$50 isn't bad at all, moreso if the content keeps going. Best part is, I won't feel bad about dropping it like with Xbox Live, because the multiplayer is still free.

Sony were always going to have a difficult time trying to introduce features to tempt people into subscribing to a premium service considering online play is free. I don't believe those listed features at the moment would tempt me personally. The content being locked to an active subscription makes no sense.

Most will scan the list and look for Cross-game chat or something similar to Party on Xbox Live and be disappointed that it's not there. If it was, I'm sure that single feature would sway the majority into singing up for it.

sangreal

You left out the early access to demos and betas.

Also, I'm pretty sure the free monthly content wasn't always games. He mentioned themes and stuff

Oni Jazar

This was the biggest failure of E3. WHERE THE HELL IS THE NEW FW UPDATE? Could this service be anymore vague? They want me to pay for automatic downloads? Wow.

see5harp

What kind of PS3 owner doesn't already own Wipeout HD. PSN+ is a total bust thus far. Automatic firmware downloads.....really?

yencid

NullPointer said:
What in the hell does a subscription service have to do with patches and firmware updates?

And still no cross-game chat?
automatic downloads if i heard correctly

Wag

What people have failed to mention is whatever "freebies" you get during the duration of your membership you will lose if you decide not to renew. That doesn't make them "free" in my book- you're essentially locked into the service for life.

angelfly

see5harp said:
What kind of PS3 owner doesn't already own Wipeout HD. PSN+ is a total bust thus far. Automatic firmware downloads.....really?

Pretty much. They really should have thought over the extra content. I'll give the 3 month trial a go but nothing after that.

sangreal

Wag said:
What people have failed to mention is whatever "freebies" you get during the duration of your membership you will lose if you decide not to renew. That doesn't make them "free" in my book- you're essentially locked into the service for life.

It is mentioned in the OP.

Mithos

Wag said:

This... BIGTIME.

NullPointer said:
What in the hell does a subscription service have to do with patches and firmware updates?

And still no cross-game chat?

They said if they do cross game chat it wouldn't require the users to pay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
chubigans said:

-"Title trials" of games (dunno what that means)

$50 a year. Coming later this month. This month's features are:

-Wipeout HD
-Rally Cross PS3/PSP
-Infamous Title Trial

They will also have a free three month subscription starting this month. Online is still free.

Well, there goes any hype I had for it. Discounts are nice. Free games are nice. But if I only own the free game during the subscription that isn't huge value for me (other than maybe the discounts)

"exclusive" demos can go fuck themselves. Shit sucks on XBL, shit sucks on PSN.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wag said:
You're missing the point. It's like Netflix, except you get to keep all the discs you order from their website...but once you're not a member, you have to send them all back and buy them if you want to continue watching them.

Well, that and Netflix decides to send which movies you're gonna get each month. :p

This sounds absolutely terrible unless they're leaving out some major details. Seriously-- not even cross-game chat? Seriously? It's like they just picked the worst features from those speculation lists and put a price tag on it. Failure.

You people are in for a shock if you think all the downloaded content you own now is gonna transfer over to the next gen of consoles.

As for this, i don't give a shit. But if it somehow makes MS include online play with silver then i'm all for "competition"

andycapps

chubigans said:

These things are making me think the $50 might be worth it. As far as not owning the content forever, in an age of Netflix that doesn't really bother me. At about $4 a month you're getting free games, auto downloads of content, and free DLC. So that could be worth it, providing that they let me pick what pieces of DLC packs I want considering I'm not always going to have every game that comes out. Either way, free 3 month trial so we'll see how it goes. At the least, it should keep the bitching from the media about having to update their games to stop.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
chubigans said:
You're missing the point. It's like Netflix, except you get to keep all the discs you order from their website...but once you're not a member, you have to send them all back and buy them if you want to continue watching them.

Well, that and Netflix decides to send which movies you're gonna get each month. :p

is it like that or is it a select game every month you get to play for free?

what happens if you join 6 months into the service? do you get all the games?

I guess it's not so bad if they keep piling on content.

Wag

chubigans said:

But this is different. So as the other poster said this is like a game rental service with a very limited amount of games. It seems to be everything that was offered with a Qore subscription before, but 2x the price and you don't get to keep the episodes/games that come with it if you don't want to renew.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
50 bux for free games that I can only play when I'm subscribe? Hmm... no thanks, might as well own them. If it had CLOUD storage, then that would be another deal.

hey sony.... instead of 'enhancing the experience' with a load of shit i don't want....

why not try looking at this once in a while

166znkh.jpg

just a thought

Carl

I must be the only person on Gaf who thinks this sounds alright.

I'll probably sign up. Though i already own all of the things they announced. And hey, i have spent about £1000 on PSN so an extra £40 can't hurt.

D4Danger said:
is it like that or is it a select game every month you get to play for free?

what happens if you join 6 months into the service? do you get all the games?

I guess it's not so bad if they keep piling on content.
exactly what i was thinking, if once you join you have access to all the free stuff so far then it could be a great service.

Will have to see the full details and the price for the uk befores i decide on this.

DJ_Lae

I wonder if the exclusive DLC means that you'll actually get it for free if you have a subsciption or if you'll just be able to buy it earlier than someone who doesn't.

Razor210

Auto updates? $50 a month? Really?

They're basically just taking stuff that should be for free (other than games, but if I wanted them, I would buy them) and trying to get us to pay for them.

dionysus

Yaldog
Are the games only free for a set period, at the end of which they are removed and new games are free? Or do they build up over time and never are removed from the service?

Crisis

Banned
They will not be getting $17.99 or whatever it was from me. They will not be getting $49.99 a month from me. This service is not worth the money.

Right now Gold members on LIVE get demo access a week early. When Sony says early access to demos and betas, doesn't that suggest the folk that don't subscribe will get their demos delayed whilst PSN Premium subscribers will get it normally on time? Unless of course Sony have an agreement to get demos earlier than usual. People often compare the release times with when the same demos are released on Live though.

Not sure. A few comments I've read are asking if this service means it will divide their privileges currently and categorise them depending on if you're paying or not.

important would be if all the free games you choose during your subscription time are available again if you re-subscribe after some time w/o PSN+.

Really strange, they didn't even hint at other/ possible future PSN+ features like the token/bet system, (party-)CGC etc.

Sophia

dionysus said:
Are the games only free for a set period, at the end of which they are removed and new games are free? Or do they build up over time and never are removed from the service?

It sounded like the latter; As long as you have a subscription, you have what is currently on the service.... but I guess there's always the possibiltiy they might remove stuff.

It's a bit underwhelming, given I expected PS2 games to be along the premium features, but if it builds up a big enough list, I can see it being worth the $50. Not a bad price, by any means.

More details up on SCEE blog. Will get this for full game trial alone.

Hi Everyone, you may have heard in all the E3 hype that we are launching a new premium subscription service called PlayStation Plus in just a weeks time, so I just wanted to give you all a quick heads up on what you can expect to get from this great new service so you have all the info before launch on the 29th June.

The first thing to note is that PlayStation Network is still free to join and all the current features will remain free. PlayStation Plus will be offering you a service above and beyond this, including loads of content and exclusive, member-only, PSN features.

From 29th June you’ll be able to purchase a 1 year or 90-day membership from PlayStation Store and instantly get your hands on the following premium features. Plus, if you sign up for a 1 year membership between 29th June and 3rd August, we’ll also throw in a free downloadable copy of the award winning LittleBigPlanet.

Games:
As a member you can expect to get your hands on at least four games a month at no extra charge. Each month there will be a selection of one PSN game, two minis and one PS one classics available on PlayStation Store for you to download. You also get premium avatars and dynamic themes each month, many of which are exclusive to members.

Talking of exclusive, there will also be discounts available on loads of PlayStation Store content, just for members, so make the most of them as these will change each month as well.

Finally, wherever possible we’ll be making sure that members are included in some selected demos and beta trials before they go live to the public so you can be the one to tell all your mates about the next big game they ‘must’ get.

Just the games, avatars and themes alone are worth at least £200* per year, so even before the other benefits, this service is great value for money

Full Game Trial:
This premium feature gives you the chance to try PSN and Blu-ray disc titles before you buy them in a whole new way. We are not talking normal demos of selected parts of a game here. With Full Game Trial, you can download the full game and play it as if you owned it for approximately one hour, depending on the game, before you decide if you want to buy it or not. So you can check out the online modes, play against friends or anything else you’d normally do with a game.

The other great thing is that your progress and trophies from the trial will all be unlocked if you buy the game so no need to go back and start again.

Automatic Download:
We wanted to offer members the speediest service possible so sign up and you can set your PS3 to automatically receive the latest game updates for all the games you play, PS3 system software updates and even have game demos sent directly to your PS3 without lifting a finger.

Just set the time you want to receive them and your PS3 will automatically wake up and download everything, ready for when you next want to play. No more waiting to play your favourite game because there is a new patch or having to remember when the latest system software is launching, let your PS3 do the work.

Details of this great new service, including a list of content available for the first 2 months will be on playstationplus.com between now and the 29th, but don’t forget to get on the Store and sign up before the 3rd August to get the added bonus of a free copy of LittleBigPlanet.

It would be great to hear what you guys think of this new service and I’ll be back one here on Wednesday morning to try and answer any questions you have.

ShogunX

Utter load of shit its $49.99 for nothing but pure fluff.

Was really hoping Sony would add some expected features to the PSN like Cross game chat and Part chat to put MS to shame for charging for it. Instead Live can now be justified by MS because of the extra features.

CryptiK

Razor210 said:
Auto updates? $50 a month? Really?

They're basically just taking stuff that should be for free (other than games, but if I wanted them, I would buy them) and trying to get us to pay for them.
People paid for it on Xbox.. why not on PS3

Top Bottom