• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 3: Getting The Knack Of These Games

ckleow

Nov PS + Games for Asia

Fwv6PM3.png

https://blog.asia.playstation.com/hk-en/6268/2016/10/ps-plus-free-games-for-nov-2016/

Hasney

Is Re-Elected any good?

The main game is fine with some frame rate issues.

The Gat out of Hell expansion that is packed in is terrible

Yup, platinumed them both because I adore Saints Row but it's a garbage port. More frame rate issues than the 360 version. Thanks, High Voltage!

Gat outta Hell wasn't packed in though, only in special double packs. We got Gat Outta Hell on Plus in July.

VLiberty

I can totally see Pumped BMX and SR4 being announced for us too. If not now, they could definitely be there in a couple of months

Alpende

The main game is fine with some frame rate issues.

The Gat out of Hell expansion that is packed in is terrible

Gat out of Hell being shit has me worried about Re-Elected. I'll probably watch / read some reviews and maybe give it a go if it even is a PS+ game next month.

illusionary

I'd certainly take the chance to play EGTTR for free if we do get it for the US/EU also - I couldn't justify the full-price cost, but I'm at least intrigued by the game.

I remember not buying Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, thinking it'd be on Plus one day, same for Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It's good to have Plus.

CvtD0z7UsAAwlsH.jpg

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, PS4
The Deadly Tower of Monsters, PS4
DiRT 3, PS3
Costume Quest 2, PS3
Letter Quest Remasterd, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
Pumped BMX+, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4 and PS3)

On a personal note: hell yeah, great month.

Ted

I tried Tricky Towers (August 2016) this weekend and found it's another good, fun PS+ game. Pretty challenging single player and really surprisingly good fun online, it's not something you're going to want to put hours and hours into but for a quick "I've got a few spare minutes and fancy some competitive fun" it's fab.

Worth a try if you want a new spin on the classic Tetris formulae.

I tried Tricky Towers (August 2016) this weekend and found it's another good, fun PS+ game. Pretty challenging single player and really surprisingly good fun online, it's not something you're going to want to put hours and hours into but for a quick "I've got a few spare minutes and fancy some competitive fun" it's fab.

Worth a try if you want a new spin on the classic Tetris formulae.
My wife loves the competitive offline mode. I'm already fed up with it, but the things one does for one's partner. ;p

LakeEarth

Tricky Towers is great, but it is in desperate need of a ranking system (not just an XP system). Right now, you just faced off against whoever and you don't really feel like you're improving.

BTW, November games are up.

Danj

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is listed as a PS+ game for me in the UK, but when I click on it it says "this item isn't available right now, pick something else", what's going on?

Ludens

Banned
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is listed as a PS+ game for me in the UK, but when I click on it it says "this item isn't available right now, pick something else", what's going on?

I found a workaround, posting it in the other thread: add the game to your wishlist, than enter your wish and select "add to the cart", so you can "purchase" it. Multiple users tested it and they confirmed it works :)

Danj

I found a workaround, posting it in the other thread: add the game to your wishlist, than enter your wish and select "add to the cart", so you can "purchase" it. Multiple users tested it and they confirmed it works :)

Sweet, thanks.

Ted

My wife loves the competitive offline mode. I'm already fed up with it, but the things one does for one's partner. ;p

Hah! That is indeed true!

I quite like some of the single player trials, the puzzle, stay under the laser, ones particularly. The survival and races start to be a bit annoying in the later levels for me though, not sure I'll finish it as such but I will be able to do enough to unlock all of the puzzles I hope.

Tricky Towers is great, but it is in desperate need of a ranking system (not just an XP system). Right now, you just faced off against whoever and you don't really feel like you're improving.

BTW, November games are up.

I can see where you're coming from but I quite like the current simplicity, it's nice to just play for the fun of it sometimes.

This worked for me (via the webstore). Thanks for posting it here Ludens.

It had a padlock marked on it in the OS but started fine and the lock has now gone away.

Hah! That is indeed true!

I quite like some of the single player trials, the puzzle, stay under the laser, ones particularly. The survival and races start to be a bit annoying in the later levels for me though, not sure I'll finish it as such but I will be able to do enough to unlock all of the puzzles I hope.

Yea some of the later survival games are rickdickulous. I've given up on the SP...

Ludens

Banned
I'm trying Rapture and I'm finding it absolutely terrible. While the story is interesting, the way the game plays is awful. I'm forced to walk like a slowpoke just because devs decided so, but the worse thing is, I can't even save when I want!
And the save-system sucks! It triggered a save after ONE HOUR I was playing. One hour! What if I want to play just like 20 minutes? You can't, because save points are so rare the chance to activate another one in that amount of time is very slim.

Plus those trophies...I mean, I don't mind about trophies/achievements, but they are simply stupid: stay in a phone boot for 3 minutes? Stay in the witch hut for 2 minutes?
Stay without moving for 10 minutes? Entering the same building 10 times? Really? Why?
They are just dumb with no reason. I saw there's also a trophy achieved by interacting with all the radios...and nothing else (so you NEED to avoid to trigger cutscenes manually).

It's just so stupid doing something like this, because it's clear the only purpose behind this decision is to artificially increase the game's lenght of a title playable in two hours, even less if you could move around in a decent speed.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm trying Rapture and I'm finding it absolutely terrible. While the story is interesting, the way the game plays is awful. I'm forced to walk like a slowpoke just because devs decided so, but the worse thing is, I can't even save when I want!
And the save-system sucks! It triggered a save after ONE HOUR I was playing. One hour! What if I want to play just like 20 minutes? You can't, because save points are so rare the chance to activate another one in that amount of time is very slim.

You're lucky the game didn't crash on you. Mine did after about 30 minutes of exploring the main part of the town. After that gave up on the idea of doing a platinum and just enjoyed the graphics and the scenery. The technical side of the game is a true mess... you can't run because the game has problems loading environments quickly and even in the current state it can crash or stutter.

chadskin

You can walk faster in Rapture by pressing - and holding - R2. It takes a bit to 'build up', though, and it's still relatively slow but ... better than nothing. ;)

Ludens

Banned
You can walk faster in Rapture by pressing - and holding - R2. It takes a bit to 'build up', though, and it's still relatively slow but ... better than nothing. ;)

I know, but for me it's still very slow. The game didn't crash, but I saw my PS4 really was proved by the game.

I quite enjoyed Deadly Tower of Monsters. The combat isn't great but I had fun with it for the 5 or so hours it lasted. It's also a super easy platinum if you're into that sort of thing.

Ludens

Banned
Almost completed Rapture, I saw on Youtube and I'm 10 minutes from the end of the game, but I needed to quit because I need to go to work.
Anyway yeah, my impression is the same: very interesting plot and art direction, but awful game. Also I don't know if it's a framerate issue or what, but inside houses or during some sections the game slows down even more.
I also find awful the fact from time to time you are forced to follow a path of light in the darkness just because otherwise you can't proceed: so if you miss something to explore, you are forced to backtrack from the path of light.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Plus those trophies...I mean, I don't mind about trophies/achievements, but they are simply stupid: stay in a phone boot for 3 minutes? Stay in the witch hut for 2 minutes?
Stay without moving for 10 minutes? Entering the same building 10 times? Really? Why?
They are just dumb with no reason. I saw there's also a trophy achieved by interacting with all the radios...and nothing else (so you NEED to avoid to trigger cutscenes manually).

It's just so stupid doing something like this, because it's clear the only purpose behind this decision is to artificially increase the game's lenght of a title playable in two hours, even less if you could move around in a decent speed.
Just be grateful you didn't spend any money on this trash. Some of us aren't so lucky.

Ted

I've been playing a lot of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture over the weekend and really, really dig it despite rarely playing these types of games.

I've finished up a few of the characters chapters, namely
Father Jeremy, Wendy Appleton and Frank Appleton
and have just begun
Stephen's
. I also think I have finished
Lizzie's - (at least I got a lit path like at the end of all the other stories) -
but unlike the earlier ones I finished it didn't feel quite as conclusive* particularly with the scenes with
Rachel
being weaved into it in the same area. I don't really mind as some of these scenes are excellent, the scene in the
main hall of the holiday camp
in particular was so affecting but I do feel I maybe missed something. Oh well, something for another play through.

Now I've got a little further into it I can't really understand the criticisms at much more than a very base level, yes it would be nice to walk a little faster, yes it would be nice to save wherever but ultimately, for me, neither of these things take away from an artfully crafted piece of story telling. Yes the overall story line perhaps leaves a little to be desired (I haven't finished yet so I'll see how this concludes) but some of the character interactions are wonderfully done.

This most definitely isn't a game for everyone but if you fancy something a little slower paced, a little more thoughtful and can bear the responsibilities it asks of you (setting aside some uninterrupted time to play through) then get stuck in with a loved one on a quiet weekend and share some smiles and maybe some tears.

EDIT - Just completed it. I'm glad
Lizzie's story
concluding later at
the station
and though it's sad
that it was too late and not with Stephen
, I'm glad
she had enough hope and self-belief to try and leave

As I sit here whilst the post Chinese Room credits roll, soaking up the London Voice Choir, I can't help but think I'm glad this, and stuff like this, exists.
Stephen's ending, Kate's story, the goosebumps as I was walking up through Valis' towers
, loved it all.

LakeEarth

Finally tried Lords of the Fallen. Couldn't beat the intro boss until I realized that my problem was that my armor (that the game starts you with if you pick a warrior class) was too heavy (something the game hadn't taught you mattered yet) and so you had to go into the inventory screen (which the game hadn't told you about yet) and take it off. Only then could I roll away from his attacks, get up, and strike him in time before the boss recovered. The game just expects you to have played a Soulsborne game before.

The sound effects would also randomly stop, and the game crashed on me within 20 minutes of playing it. Great first impression.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Finally tried Lords of the Fallen. Couldn't beat the intro boss until I realized that my problem was that my armor (that the game starts you with if you pick a warrior class) was too heavy (something the game hadn't taught you mattered yet) and so you had to go into the inventory screen (which the game hadn't told you about yet) and take it off. Only then could I roll away from his attacks, get up, and strike him in time before the boss recovered. The game just expects you to have played a Soulsborne game before.

The sound effects would also randomly stop, and the game crashed on me within 20 minutes of playing it. Great first impression.

I thought it had a whole tutorial on various armor pieces and weights. You find a piece of armor almost in the second or third room and it teaches you about equipping and speeds. Are you sure you did not skip the tutorial pieces?

LakeEarth

I must've missed that armor somehow. Strange because it wasn't like I was rushing through the game or anything.

I'm not saying there was no tutorial, it definitely taught me about the energy meter. But I have no recollection about it teaching the inventory screen.

Top Bottom