• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus update: Sony planning big changes

I've let my PS+ expire in January, maybe it's a trend and now Sony sees the need to react and counter this trend.
Kinda doubt they can make significant enough changes without lowering the price to even less than it was before the price increase last October or so.

13ruce

Banned
They better add in some decent retail games like xbox gold still does.

Pretty pathetic Sony dropped that because they are the marketshare leader now....

Edit: console wise ofc:p i know pc and mobile is bigger gaming wise.

Kinyou

I recall filling out a survey not too long ago that asked about my PS+ experience.
Hopefully they're really planning something

Freeman76

Sony wont do shit.

What we are seeing is the exact opposite of the PS3/360 era.

MS were so far in front for most of that Gen, and Sony came through hardcore with PS+ offerings and exclusives to claw the gap back. Then MS shot themselves in the head with that E3 announcement of the XB1 and now we are seeing MS falling over themselves trying to win back customers while Sony dont even need to try.

Expect very little from them...other than fucking awesome exclusives which I doubt MS will ever match

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I have a 12 month sub card ready to activate in June as the May games were not to my taste. I'm not expecting a sudden upgrade to the service however especially based on basically nothing.

WaterAstro

Here, found the full thing where they are basing this. Its from Kaz Hirai speech for investors in the latest Sony Corporate Strategy Meeting

DAmbrvHWsAIvJVd.jpg:large

YUjACfF.gif

Lothars

They better add in some decent retail games like xbox gold still does.

Pretty pathetic Sony dropped that because they are the marketshare leader now....

Edit: console wise ofc:p i know pc and mobile is bigger gaming wise.
PS+ games is easily as good as games for gold. one is certainly not better than the other.

I hope these enchancements are a good benefit.

barit

Different games for each region is a good way of boosting these additional subs with all the double dippers out there.

RK128

I think PS+ is well worth it (as I have over 200+ games to play on my brand-new PS4 thanks to Plus) and I won't be surprised if they drop PS3 support to get an extra PS4 game up on the service.

I would like to see PS2 Classics take up the PS3 Slots personally. Playing Ape Escape 2 on my PS4 (via PS2 Classic version) is really solid. I think adding that would make people with PS4's happy :).

PS Now is out of the question (considering Europe still doesn't fully have the service yet) but in due time, hopefully they roll it within the PS+ Subscription.

Eylos

Banned
Isnt there a rumor that ps3 or psvita games Will no longer have psplus Free game?

I remember something Like this, i dont remember where i readed it

ps4 era has more ps+ subscribers not because it provides better service but because more is behind the paywall, so... if they want to increase ps+ subscribers, move more stuff behind the paywall

The games have been terrible and paying for online is a shaky proposition when only 2 or 3 big online games are out a year.

It needed changes.

Valonquar

I nearly pre-ordered the Wipeout re-release for PS4, and then remembered I have PS+ and it will probably show up free or heavily discounted in like 5 months.

ianpm31

Sony wont do shit.

What we are seeing is the exact opposite of the PS3/360 era.

MS were so far in front for most of that Gen, and Sony came through hardcore with PS+ offerings and exclusives to claw the gap back. Then MS shot themselves in the head with that E3 announcement of the XB1 and now we are seeing MS falling over themselves trying to win back customers while Sony dont even need to try.

Expect very little from them...other than fucking awesome exclusives which I doubt MS will ever match

MS was never "so far in front" last gen. PS3 still outsold 360 last gen because Sony doesn't need the U.S like MS does.

Eylos

Banned
Why do you spread this clickbait horseshit article?
Its a clickbait site? I'm Sorry i didn't know that, a friend sent me this i though its Worth sharing

If its fake news Just close the thread i Say this in the First line of this thread.

MS was never "so far in front" last gen. PS3 still outsold 360 last gen because Sony doesn't need the U.S like MS does.

Agreed. It's a popular misconception in America that the 360 blew PS3 out of the water. i think part of it may be because the PS3 took a few years to pick up steam (Six hundred US dollars)

123rl

Source: The Express. That's all you need to tkr away from this article

If The Daily Heil is (rightly) banned then that other piece of shot should be on the ban list to

You guys need to stop using "the games are terrible" as if it's an irrefutable fact. You are basing this on an opinion, sure, but for all we know their data indicates otherwise.

I mean shit, as long as I'm on this, here's a personal sampling of games released on PsPlus since Jan 2016 (North America):

Grim Fandango
Day of the Tentacle
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
BroForce
Galak Z
Yakuza 5 <-- bought it at launch but it's a Yakuza game..so shoutouts are a must
Resident Evil Remake
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
LBP 3
Tearaway Unfolded
Tales From Borderlands

Quality will always be subjective, but the narrative that they stopped trying doesn't really hold any water for me. They've even partnered with indies to debut their games on Plus, perhaps hoping to follow in the footsteps of a certain car football game. Furi was another example of this.

If you are going to make the argument that the service no longer satisfies you, that's absolutely fair, but simply stating that the games stopped being good is a nonstarter to the conversation.

I have to laugh at anyone claiming Gold is so superior to Plus when it comes to the games offered. The retail games are a little more frequent on Gold, though in both cases it's usually old games that can be found for $10 easily. The indie games are clearly better on Plus. You're also getting Vita and PS3 games on Plus, as opposed to just 360 games on Gold.

Agreed. It's a popular misconception in America that the 360 blew PS3 out of the water. i think part of it may be because the PS3 took a few years to pick up steam (Six hundred US dollars)

Well, 360 beat PS3 by a pretty large margin in North America, and most big-budget games across the globe are designed for the NA audience, so it's not really surprising that this is the general perception here.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes the article is clickbate.

That being said I agree Sony could make some meaningful changes. I'm not sure VR make sense though see as how your talking less than 5% of your sub base.

I think most people would be happy if they dropped the PS3 and moved the cash towards courting higher valued PS4 games.

I also think they need to fix some things like trophy sync and PSN name changing to show consumers they aren't just coasting.

doemaaan

Haha what a non-article. Extrapolating one innocuous statement into a slew of baseless speculation and half-baked theorising.

Says the same thing four times. Classic wordcount pad.

EDIT: Just seen that this has just passed 1000 upvotes on /r/PS4 as well. Express rolling around in that ad-revenue.
For real. I was in the middle of reading it and my eyes just started to roll…

I would only get PS Plus to play an good multiplayer exclusive game and so far I've been waiting from TLoU remastered to TLoU 2. I'm not really interested in much else, but hopefully Sony can come up with something to make it more worthwhile. Renting tons of games I'll never play isn't for me and that's most of what PS Plus is.

I have a 12 month sub card ready to activate in June as the May games were not to my taste. I'm not expecting a sudden upgrade to the service however especially based on basically nothing.

Don't get Plus for the games, they're garbage. If you're planning on playing something online, activate it then. If you will never play online, the card is useless and could be useful to someone else.

PS+ is a "service" that activates the ability to play online. Don't think of it as anything else.

The only thing I've used my ps+ for since rocket league is to play overwatch.

Quickly went from one of the best values in gaming to a monthly pile of trash that I had to pay for.

Hope the changes are significant.

Top Bottom