• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus/XBL Gold not required to play Mortal Kombat X online

@MUWANdo

Banned
This beings me to another question. Do games that leverage multiplayer services get a cut from the platform holder?

It's not exactly what you're asking and I don't know if this was ever verified anywhere, but it's been said that Activision managed to strongarm Sony/MS into lowering their cut on digital sales of Activision games, and that Activision was abstaining from releasing their games on Nintendo's eShop because Nintendo wouldn't extend them the same privilege.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If that ends up right, that's great. I didn't realize they had a choice in the matter and would be pretty surprised if that ends up true.

Percy

Banned
MS don't even allow F2P games to be played without a subscription, I doubt they'd let a "full game" bypass the requirement so easily.

I can see this being a misunderstanding.

MS and Xbox have been extremely pro-consumer this gen; I wouldn't be surprised.

lmao

I think it's single player additions that use updates over the internet, not online multiplayer.

There's an example on the PS4 with Drive Club, online-challenges can be taken if you don't have PS+.

ZeroCDR

As cool as this would be, I doubt it applies to fighting people online. So I'll continue with my plan to buy it for PC, and that's only if the netcode is any good.

vg260

Exactly.

You can contribute to rep it whatever from single player, but you need a sub for multiplayer.

Yup. that's gotta be confusion/misinformation. They're talking about "features", not true online play.

The factions stuff goes through the WBID service, which is platform agnostic.

The online multiplayer will surely need PS+/XBLG

That's nice for the people that don't have those services, if it's true. Unlikely, but would be nice.

I still can't, for the life of me, figure out why any people wouldn't have PS+. The value is insane! [face_Trump]

ItIsOkBro

The conversation started with someone asking about faction wars, I'm sure he means stuff like that, and the other online features like the daily challenge towers.
Not the actual online multiplayer, cause no way in hell are they getting past that.

yea you can't cherry pick a twitter convo like that.

One of the reasons I'm still hesitant to buy a ps4 is for the 60 dollar ps+ requirement. I can't believe that shit still, just to play online. It's bullshit.

Bessy67

If devs/publishers can just decide to circumvent the PS+/XBL paywall then every game would be playable online without PS+/XBL. This has to be a mistake.

seady

Lol, if true, it just shows how online paywall is an arbitrary scam. Although, I think they're mistaking here...

Umm obviously the paywall is "arbitrary". You have to pay in order to play something. They have the right to lift the rule and let you play for free whenever they want. Can't say it's a scam.

I highly doubt mp is free. He probably meant that you can participate on factions without paid subscription. But if it is true it will be an industry changer.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Yup. that's gotta be confusion/misinformation. They're talking about "features", not true online play.

The factions stuff goes through the WBID service, which is platform agnostic.

The online multiplayer will surely need PS+/XBLG

Exactly. It's the meta game that won't require PS+/XBLG.

Chris1

Probably a mistake, although it does raise the question whether or not a publisher can pay MS & Sony a certain amount to bypass those requirements?

I don't know why any publisher would really want to do that, but it could turn out to be a good thing for some online only titles like Titanfall as I imagine removing the paywall would help sell a few more copies of the game.

Denzar

Even when playing alone (against A.I.) you have an influence in faction mode. It's probably this.

No way PvP fights won't be behind PS+ or XBLG paywalls.

Can't and will not believe this.

CozMick

Banned
Get The Fuck Out of here!

There is no way Sony or Microsoft would allow the paywall to be bypassed.

Nothing more than a subscribers pipe dream.

Dr. Buni

If true, it would be yet another reason to support this game. NRS is doing a lot of things right with this game, a lot of things Capcom, SNK and others always forget to do in their games.
If there wasnt free games with ps+, no way would i pay to play "online". That shit is free on pc.
And on the Wii U!

I'm sure this will be clarified. Some 360 games for example use online community features like leaderboards that don't require XBL gold to post.

malfcn

"Feature" - like the factions points, would be my guess. Doubt versus requires no sub, but that would be huge.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the persistent faction war going on in the background, and not online play. When you fight in the game, you send that win to the main global faction that you chose, and the tally for all four or so factions are updated in real time and you win unlocks and stuff each day or week or something. That's likely the feature that doesn't require online.

Top Bottom