• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus/XBL Gold not required to play Mortal Kombat X online

sjay1994

mkt.png

Shaun Himmerick (executive producer on MKX) stated on twitter that the subscription services are not needed for any feature of MKX.

I thought this was pretty interesting, considering only F2P games seemed to not need the services, where as most retail games did.

maomaoIYP

Has this been done before? I'm not sure I recalled any game with a multiplayer component ever not requiring XBL gold.

MormaPope

Banned
In the Destiny demo thingy I think I was playing with silver and not gold, still got matched with other players for co-op stuff.

Dropping that requirement is always a gigantic plus.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sounds like they'd be violating a rule of some sort

Can't wait for all gaming news sites to report on this tweet with an update posted later

Will MS / Sony even allow that? I have my doubts (?)

But if that's the case, thank you NR. Now include that Skull Girls driver which allows for PS3 fighting sticks to work with PS4. (pretty please)

Feorax

If he's considering offline and online multiplayer as just one "multiplayer mode", then technically he can say that neither gold or plus are required for any mode in the game I suppose.

I'm not adept at reading twitter, but are we sure he is talking about XBL in that second tweet, it seems to be a continuation of the comment about PS plus, ie that you do not need It for vs or any other feature. Like I said i don't use twitter so don't understand the '@'s and what not.

MormaPope

Banned
Lol, if true, it just shows how online paywall is an arbitrary scam. Although, I think they're mistaking here...

The fact that there is a paywall at all shows its a scam. Not to mention consoles have become less stable (even last gen ones) when it comes to UI and functionality in the past couple of years.

danmaku

Seems... too good to be true? I think using XBL or PSN is mandatory for non F2P games. Even if you use your own servers (and I don't think they are) you still have to go through MS/Sony online system.

Bittercup

Isn't Destiny playable without PS+ at least for the normal gameplay except for the group content? At least the beta was playable without PS+.
I read that it's the same with Watchdogs. Regular 1vs1 invasions work without PS+, races require it. I don't own Watchdogs on PS4 so I can't confirm this.

Maybe it's not a completely strict system, where some online features can still be free.

sjay1994

Isn't Destiny playable without PS+ at least for the normal gameplay except for the group content? At least the beta was playable without PS+.
I read that it's the same with Watchdogs. Regular 1vs1 invasions work without PS+, races require it. I don't own Watchdogs on PS4 so I can't confirm this.

Maybe it's not a completely strict system, where some online features can still be free.

Yeah, some games did have some weird leeway with the subscription fees. Maybe Himmerick is mistaken, or maybe MKX really doesn't need them.

That actually would be really nice if you didn't need PS Plus or XBLA to play online.

It would definitely get more people playing without the need of it.

Would be very interesting! I would never cancel my plus even if more games did this for the free games and discounts, but this is promising if true...

angelic

Banned
the BBC took literally years to put iplayer on XBL because of the gold restrictions, there's no way WB just did it like that.

Khezu

The conversation started with someone asking about faction wars, I'm sure he means stuff like that, and the other online features like the daily challenge towers.
Not the actual online multiplayer, cause no way in hell are they getting past that.

yatesl

The conversation started with someone asking about faction wars, I'm sure he means stuff like that, and the other online features like the daily challenge towers.
Not the actual online multiplayer, cause no way in hell are they getting past that.

Exactly.

You can contribute to rep it whatever from single player, but you need a sub for multiplayer.

Hope it's true, but I too have a feeling there's a misunderstanding.

Plus I don't think Sony/MS would be happy to see their paid service circumvented.

Koh

This is pretty shocking. Does mortal kombat have enough pull to sway platform holders?

This beings me to another question. Do games that leverage multiplayer services get a cut from the platform holder?

Top Bottom