• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 04/09/09

SOLDIER

A bit back, I set up some PSN trading with a few GAF members (three, I believe), without giving much thought to the system link limit.

Well, I want to rectify that. There's no point only keeping a link with someone if we've only shared one game.

If you've traded with me (username is SOLDIER on PSN), please send me a PM so we can set up either further trading or a de-link of our systems.

Speevy

Banned
New Japan buys:

-Project Gaiaray - Completely English Virtual On clone with surprisingly good graphics, controls are a little loose but overall I'm impressed.

-Pop n' Pop - Fairly similar to about a million other puzzle games, match the balloons upward as though they were jewels, menus are Japanese, easy to get into.

-King's Field 2 - Action-based 3D RPG, action is straightforward, menus will require a guide, but it's not one of those epic story-driven RPGs so if you care enough you'll figure it out.

-Advance Variable Geo - Girl power fighter, decent enough, all English, kind of like Street Fighter 2.

-Space Invaders - Japanese menus everywhere, what am I going to...oh wait, it's Space Invaders.

Xater

I jsut watched the new DCU movies, I don't knwo if they are from this week though. I have to say that I am really interested in this game. It' really what I want from a MMO. The only better thng would be a cyberpunk or Fallout MMO.

BTW the Pulse lady is kinda hot...

Speevy

Banned
I was wondering if last week's release of Final Fantasy VII International Edition counted as Japan's "PS1 games", or if we're getting another batch this week.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, I made this quck guide for Japanese PS1 games.

I hope it helps.

Let me explain the categories.

Genre is self-explanatory. I perhaps got a little more specific than I should have, but I want you to know exactly what to expect when you grab one of these games.

Playability is not a review score. It's how I think the average player will find this game years after the fact.

1-2.75 means you probably shouldn't bother.
3-3.5 means decent but flawed experiences. Perhaps the game has slight control issues or maybe it's showing its age.
3.75 means the game is unique enough to warrant play time despite any shortcomings.
4 and above are good to great, definitely worth adding to your PSN library

Readability refers to the ability to play the game if you can't read any Japanese, which applies to many of us.

Difficult means the language barrier dramatically effects gameplay progression to the point where figuring out the simplest menus and instructions can become frustrating. These games might be great, but a guide is necessary to get through them. For example, My Hot Cooking's recipes.

Moderate means there is a significant amount of Japanese text/voice within the game, but you can still progress despite that barrier. Games which allow you to easily select the first menu and skip past the Japanese story segments fall into this category. The use of Japanese is definitely noticeable, but offers a minimal detraction from the English speaker's enjoyment. For examples, the story segments in Magical Drop F.

Easy means there is either a large amount of English text or very little text at all relating to your gameplay instructions. Games falling within this category are straighforward for both Japanese and English speakers to play.

Visuals relate to how these games stand the test of time. Many PSX games are just hard on the eyes, and Playstation-era 3D is an unfortunate example of this.

1-2.75 - Poor visuals, distracting to the user.
3-3.75 - Decent, maybe not remarkable, but gets the job done. Could be high production values for the time.
4-5 - Good to exemplary, graphics in this category are clean and crisp enough.

Description is just a short but fun few words about the game. What I'm trying to convey here is what you can expect with the game, and if there's room, I added a note about its quality. My impressions of these games are by no means the definitive ones, but you should at least have some idea of how the game is.

NA/PAL Version is a new category I added specifically to let players know whether a North American or PAL version exists. This doesn't mean there is a NA or PAL version on the store already, but it does mean one is possible. I also added an asterisk to games with a version on the NA or PAL Playstation Store. Hopefully this will help you decide whether to invest in a Japanese PSN ticket or wait for your region's store to come around.

Advanced Variable Geo is decent, but I hope they put up AVG2 which is actually a very good SFA-type game.

Thanks for the list, it reminds me that I need to go grab Einhander so I can finally try it out.

Xater said:
I jsut watched the new DCU movies, I don't knwo if they are from this week though. I have to say that I am really interested in this game. It' really what I want from a MMO. The only better thng would be a cyberpunk or Fallout MMO.

BTW the Pulse lady is kinda hot...

Yes, PLEASE!

kassatsu

Banned
Stuff I missed last week!

japan.gif
NOW UP!
/!\ Updates throughout the week.

GAMES

► PSOne
○ Final Fantasy VII International (¥1500)

ADD-ONS

► Biohazard 5 [Resident Evil 5]
○ Versus Mode (¥250)

► LittleBigPlanet
○ Rag Doll Kung Fu Pack (¥300)

► Mr. Pain [Pain]
○ Nigel (¥100)
○ Kenneth (¥100)

► Shin Sengoku Musou Multi-Raid (PSP)
○ Additional Content Version 7

► Sonic World Adventure [Sonic Unleashed]
○ Horosuka Adventure Pack (¥300)

VIDEOS

► Rag Doll Kung Fu
○ Promotional Video

► Sonic World Adventure
○ Sonic and Chip Hall of Fear

THEMES & WALLPAPERS

► Rag Doll Kung Fu
○ Custom Theme

hongkong.gif
NOW UP!
/!\ Updates throughout the week.

DEMOS

► Watchmen: The End Is Nigh ( English Ver. )
○ 1263 MB

GAMES

► Rag Doll Kung Fu
○ HK$ 106.00

► Watchmen: The End Is Nigh ( English Ver. )
○ HK$ 155.00

► PSOne ( Japanese Ver. )
○ Final Fantasy VII International (HK$ 118.00)

ADD-ONS

► Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
○ Isles of Conflict Map Pack

► Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid ( PSP | Japanese Ver. )
○ Additional Content Version 7

► LittleBigPlanet ( English | Chinese | Korean Ver. )
○ Rag Doll Kung Fu Pack (HK$ 25.00)

► Lord of the Rings Conquest ( English Ver. )
○ Hero Arena Bonus
○ Heroes & Maps Pack (HK$ 80.00)

► Resident Evil 5 ( English | Japanese Ver. )
○ Versus Mode (HK$ 38.00)

THEMES & WALLPAPERS

► Rag Doll Kung Fu
○ Master Wallpaper

Top Bottom