• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 10/15/09 – topatoi (US)

GQman2121

Banned
Do you know what these PSP updates--or lack thereof--are saying to me? That they're (Sony) confident no one is going to get cfw up and running on the Go. I'm just about at the point where if cfw pops up, I can see myself downloading games off torrent sites left and right with no disregard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GQman2121 said:
Do you know what these PSP updates--or lack thereof--are saying to me? That they're (Sony) confident no one is going to get cfw up and running on the Go. I'm just about at the point where if cfw pops up, I can see myself downloading games off torrent sites left and right with no disregard.

what these updates say to me, is that sony has worked really hard (difficult to believe maybe, hating is much easier) to get a decent number of releases sorted out for the go launch, and this is the hangover.

It does look like they are having problems with some of the bigger publishers, which suggests that either they don't believe in DD (unlikely, its free money), or they want clear air to publish into (more likely IMO)

It'll take some time to shake out - not a week or two, a month or two. I'm disappointed, but not willing to pass judgement on Sony's PSP DD strategy until at least the new year - maybe not until easter next year.

Hope for some PSone games.

Since I already have RE2 from the JP store I want

Fighting Force
Dino Crisis
RE3
FF8 since I am at the tail end of 7

I also wonder what surprise PSone game will be out because its so random. They just appear even with out a ESRB announcement

worthplaying said:
WP: What does it take to digitize a title? From a layperson's standpoint, you make the hardware and you make the software, so why can't you just click on Save As?

EL: It's kind of a long process. It's a little more involved than that. There's a lot of testing that comes into play. We have to make sure that it works right. It's got to go through a very long pipeline to actually get up on the store and priced and working correctly. It's a pretty involved process. At the same time, aside from just the technical process, we have to make sure that all of this stuff is approved to be distributed digitally. When the PSP first came out and everything was on disc, a lot of those rights weren't secured, so some of the challenges that we've had was to make sure that we got the rights to titles in the digital format.

WP: You're saying that even though a publisher may be able to sell a game on a disc, it may not have the rights to do it as a digital download?

EL: Exactly. There are a lot of different complicated things that go into legal agreements and publisher agreements, and we work with a wide variety of third-party publishers, and all of those agreements are different because essentially, they handled their own agreements with their own developers, and in some cases, we just legally can't get the rights to put something on the Network digitally.

I wish someone would follow up with asking for examples of games that fall into this category.

TimeKillr

I still don't get a few things with the Go.

I love it, but why aren't PSP releases same week at least?

Half Minute Hero came out on UMD today, next week on PSN. Why's that? It's not like a freaking XSeed game will dominate retail...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gamecocks625 said:
I wish someone would follow up with asking for examples of games that fall into this category.

they won't tell you - they can't (at least for third party titles). I think first party coverage on the store is pretty good anyway

I expect this will improve a lot as we move forward. Look at streaming TV catchup services. There were lots of programs not on those when they launched, as it was new and rights weren't cleared. These days most programs are covered as the contracts/rights are renegotiated etc.

GQman2121

Banned
mrklaw said:
what these updates say to me, is that sony has worked really hard (difficult to believe maybe, hating is much easier) to get a decent number of releases sorted out for the go launch, and this is the hangover.

It does look like they are having problems with some of the bigger publishers, which suggests that either they don't believe in DD (unlikely, its free money), or they want clear air to publish into (more likely IMO)

It'll take some time to shake out - not a week or two, a month or two. I'm disappointed, but not willing to pass judgement on Sony's PSP DD strategy until at least the new year - maybe not until easter next year.

Bollocks. If that is in fact the case--and at this point who the fuck knows, we're all speculating--the idea for the system shouldn't have left the table until those details were worked out and publishers were on board.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TimeKillr said:
Half Minute Hero came out on UMD today, next week on PSN. Why's that? It's not like a freaking XSeed game will dominate retail...
I don't think a week is a big deal and they're probably just feeling out the situation this way - they seem to be acknowledging that the majority of the sales are in the first week, so at least they're not belaboring it. If the game does well via DD, maybe they'll switch things around for their next release, or at least go day-and-date.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GQman2121 said:
Bollocks. If that is in fact the case--and that this point who the fuck knows, we're all speculating--the idea for the system shouldn't have left the table until those details were worked out and publishers were on board.

its not a black and white thing though - see my example of catchup TV. There is a point where you don't have complete coverage but from other business points you need to launch, and you accept that it'll take time to catch up with the rest of the offer.

Bullshit on the tech testing. Every single legacy UMD title can be ripped to your own memstick through homebrew, and works flawlessly. So the only thing in the way is publisher agreements, which can't be too hard since theyre literally being offered FREE MONEY, with no printing costs and publishing fee's outside of maybe some bandwidth charges.

And lets not forget theyve had over half a year (probably closer to a full year) to get all this in line. Giga-fail on Sony's part here. Theres just no way to recommend anyone that hasn't owned a PSP in the past a PSP Go because its missing half the software to recommend they pick up with it currently.

deepbrown said:
Anything that's just cool looking interaction?

Mesmorize is cool. It is like an acid trip, spaced out crazy stuff on your TV screen that interacts with movement and sounds when you move in front of the camera.

I think it is pretty cool for something to just veg out to. Great if you are having a party, music playing, and people just walk past your TV/Eye and see the tv changed because of their movement.

That is why I like it, something to have on the TV while throwing a party and people are mingling.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SecretBonusPoint said:
Bullshit on the tech testing. Every single legacy UMD title can be ripped to your own memstick through homebrew, and works flawlessly.
Sony is accountable for the product they certify and sell on PSN, that just isn't present on the homebrew scene. They can't simply not test legacy titles to ensure they work, even if the likelihood that they do is very high. With homebrew, you know you're on your own without any guaranteed product support. But since publishers have to guarantee the products they distribute, they obviously need to perform testing to ensure that product works as they say it does.

kaching said:
Sony is accountable for the product they certify and sell on PSN, that just isn't present on the homebrew scene. They can't simply not test legacy titles to ensure they work, even if the likelihood that they do is very high. With homebrew, you know you're on your own without any guaranteed product support. But since publishers have to guarantee the products they distribute, they obviously need to perform testing to ensure that product works as they say it does.

Sony can still make a quick-pass, that is basicly a non-extensive test, only to check that the game works correctly, that shouldn't cost more than some hours for a single a tester.

Don't believe that Sony, or any other hardware company, forces a complete product verification each time that a company release a platinum edition. Also, the consequences of an error in a digital game is not the same as with a retail game, so they can be less intensive.

TimeKillr

SecretBonusPoint said:
Bullshit on the tech testing. Every single legacy UMD title can be ripped to your own memstick through homebrew, and works flawlessly. So the only thing in the way is publisher agreements, which can't be too hard since theyre literally being offered FREE MONEY, with no printing costs and publishing fee's outside of maybe some bandwidth charges.

And lets not forget theyve had over half a year (probably closer to a full year) to get all this in line. Giga-fail on Sony's part here. Theres just no way to recommend anyone that hasn't owned a PSP in the past a PSP Go because its missing half the software to recommend they pick up with it currently.

There is ONE thing I can say though (since I do work in the industry, just not on the PSP and stuff, but I do plenty of licensed stuff).

When you negotiate rights to a license, you negotiate certain distribution rights. 99% of the time, there are separate rights for retail, download, etc.

Most publishers do not expect to do DD releases, especially not on consoles, so they don't pick up the download rights. They also might think that the download rights might not be worth it, regardless, and in that case they might just not get the rights at all.

I think Sony is now forcing every new release to appear on PSN as well, so they'll have to negotiate download rights, but the issue is still present.

BTW, distribution rights also apply to titles which are just licensed for translation. For example, if a company like XSeed picks up a title and translates it, it still has to buy distribution rights for retail and download.

That might be why some games will never appear on PSN. I doubt this applies to original IP though, so for example there's no reason why Dissidia, for example, isn't on PSN. It's Square-Enix's own IP, so there should be no issues.

The ONLY other issue I can maybe find is if they're hiring external people for localization or porting or what not - you have to negotiate their rights, and in some cases the contracts for these people do not include permission to release their works on downloadable formats. This is understandable in the viewpoint of the contract worker, where their work is more valuable / worth more if the game has a wider possible distribution. UMD only will sell less than UMD/DD, so they can ask for more money for their work.

The legal stuff in these things is astounding, and almost nobody just releases rights for every distribution platform, sadly.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DangerousDave said:
Sony can still make a quick-pass, that is basicly a non-extensive test, only to check that the game works correctly, that shouldn't cost more than some hours for a single a tester.
I'm not sure they can shortcut the process - you don't know where a bug could pop up. Plus, they aren't just ripping games from UMD and putting the unaltered ISO on PSN. The games are repackaged to be downloaded, extracted and installed on flash storage, all using security/encryption that's not identical to what is on UMD releases. In essence, they are recoding the game to some extent so a "quick-pass" won't cut it and they'd have to confirm the DD package works at every step of the process in any case (download, extract, install, play).

Overall, the point is that (re)testing is non-trivial.

Don't believe that Sony, or any other hardware company, forces a complete product verification each time that a company release a platinum edition.
You mean budget releases of games? That's a different story. All that is is a change to the cover label and the manual. The disc inside is still burned with the same code/datapackage as the original release, in most cases.

Also, the consequences of an error in a digital game is not the same as with a retail game, so they can be less intensive.
The consequences of an error in a digital game are irate customers who will either want a refund or trade-in towards a fixed version if that's made available. The only thing that DD makes easier is delivery of a fixed version, but the support it requires and damage done to customer perception of your quality control is no less if it happens with a digital copy rather than a physical copy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm lowering all my estimates for PSP content to zero for the day.

Best not to set myself up for disappointment. :p

kassatsu

Banned
eu.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Some content not available in every Store.

SALES

► Ending Oct 19th
○ Call of Duty: World at War – Map Pack 1 (£3.99/€4.99)

► Ending Oct 22nd
○ Resident Evil 5 – Versus Mode (£2.39/€2.99)
○ Everybody’s Golf 2 (£9.99/€12.99)
○ Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) (£16.99/€20.99)
○ Magic Carpet (PS One) (£3.99/€4.99)
○ Populous (PS One) (£2.39/€2.99
○ Sim City 2000 (PS One) (£4.79/€5.99)
○ Theme Hospital (PS One) (£2.39/€2.99)
○ Theme Park (PS One) (£2.39/€2.99)

► Ending Oct 29th
○ The Little Mermaid II (PS One) (£2.39/€2.99)

PS3 GAMES

► .detuned
○ £2.39/€2.99

► Mushroom Wars
○ £7.99/€9.99

► Uno
○ £7.99/€9.99

► WipEout HD Fury – The Complete Pack
○ £17.99/€24.99

PSP GAMES

► Full Games
○ Cover Girl (£23.99/€29.99)

► minis
○ Yeti Sports Pengu Throw (£2.49/€3.99)

ADD-ONS

► Buzz!
○ Space Quiz (£3.99/€4.99)

► Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (PSP)
○ Additional Quests 6

► High Velocity Bowling
o Doug Graves (£0.79/€0.99)
o Halloween Ball Pack
o Planets Ball Pack (£0.79/€0.99)

► Guitar Hero 5
○ Wolfmother Track Pack (£4.39/€5.49 or £1.59/€1.99 each)
♪ California Queen by Wolfmother
♪ Cosmic Egg by Wolfmother
♪ Pilgrim by Wolfmother

○ Singles (£1.59/€1.99 each)
♪ Cut Your Hair by Pavement
♪ Hi-Speed Soul by Nada Surf
♪ Sister Jack by Spoon

► Lumines Supernova
o Holiday Pack (£1.59/€1.99)
o Bundle Pack (£3.19/€3.99)

► Rock Band
o Brütal Legend Pack 01 (£2.49/€3.99 or £0.99/€1.49 each)
♪ (We Are) The Road Crew ‘08′ by Motörhead
♪ The Metal by Tenacious D (£0.99/€1.49)
♪ More Than Meets the Eye by Testament (£0.99/€1.49)

○ Singles (£0.99/€1.49 each)
♪ Andres by L7
♪ Icarus – Borne on the Wings of Steel (Live) by Kansas
♪ Point of Know Return (Live) by Kansas
♪ Satch Boogie by Joe Satriani
♪ Show Me the Way by Black Tide
♪ Surfing With the Alien by Joe Satriani
♪ What’s My Age Again by Blink182

► Rock Band Unplugged (PSP)
○ Singles (£0.99/€1.49 each)
♪ Headknocker by Foreigner
♪ Jeremy by Pearl Jam

VIDEOS

► Army of Two: The 40th Day
○ Trailer

► Final Fantasy XIII
○ TGS 09 Trailer

► Heroes Over Europe
○ Multiplayer Trailer

THEMES & WALLPAPERS

► PS3 Dynamic Themes
○ PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe Dynamic Theme (£1.59/€1.99)
○ Pain Dynamic Theme (£1.59/€1.99)
○ High Velocity Bowling Dynamic Theme (£1.59/€1.99)

► PS3 Premium Themes
○ Ink Skulls (£1.19/€1.49)
○ Mythical Creatures (£1.19/€1.49)
○ Spider Webs (£1.19/€1.49)
○ World’s Apart (£1.19/€1.49)

► PS3 Wallpapers
○ Topatoi

No45

No45 said:
Yes, I've just been reminded. :(

If the bundle doesn't effectively make the Holiday Pack free I'm going to pass. Won't support the UK/EU getting the shaft.
Oh noes! Quoting myself. Apparently the bundle is the same price as the Classic Pack, so if you haven't bought that you're effectively getting the Holiday Pack for free. :)

SolidusDave said:
regarding todays premium dynamic themes:

nice imo
Yay!

Neil

Purchased a £20 PSN card (for £16, wooHOO) which should arrive tomorrow.
Reserving it for FF8, although I think we still have a 2 - 3 week wait. At least.

Jim

Wooooo...

Rockstar Games Announces PSP Legacy Titles, Rockstar Branded Storefront

Today we are happy to announce the Rockstar Legacy Collection of PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system titles. Beginning October 15, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, Midnight Club: L.A. Remix and Manhunt 2 will be available for digital download from the PlayStation®Network for the PSP system.

We are also proud to unveil the official Rockstar-branded storefront on the PlayStation Network. Launching October 22, the storefront will offer the full complement of new and Legacy Rockstar titles for the PSP system, including Beaterator, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, and The Warriors, all available for digital download.

KZObsessed

Neil said:
Purchased a £20 PSN card (for £16, wooHOO) which should arrive tomorrow.
Reserving it for FF8, although I think we still have a 2 - 3 week wait. At least.

How? Where? Me wantz!

edit: Found it! Zavvi right? Do you know if this is the same in store or only online?

Returners

There we go. GTA + Trine next week. YES.

Hope GTA:VCS doesn't have pop-in issues now that its moved to flash.

Also I just remembered.... since DD is now possible... SAN ANDREAS STORIES?!?! :D:D:D

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Jim said:
all available for digital download.

Do companies really have to include the digital part all the time? I mean like isn't that part a given? Just say available for download!

Aru

Lindsay said:
Do companies really have to include the digital part all the time? I mean like isn't that part a given? Just say available for download!

Maybe someday we'll download non-digital things :lol

Oni Jazar

All the GTA's plus the Warriors is pretty much the best collection of games on the PSP. I'm afraid to know how much they will charge though. The GTA Stories games are the only PSP games that consistantly sell every month.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nice at Liberty City Stories going DD.

Vice City Stories is a buggy piece of shit. Unless that's been fixed from the UMD release you can count me out on that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oni Jazar said:
The GTA Stories games are the only PSP games that consistantly sell every month.

Actually Midnight Club sells more than either GTA game on a monthly basis and its LTD is higher than Vice City Stories. *shrugs*

Top Bottom