• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 10/15/09 – topatoi (US)

Cromulent_Word said:
Not selling so hot. Very sad over here too. Hopefully the demo will help, but what can you do - we made the best game we could for the best price we could, but in the end it's the gamers that define your level of sales success.

I bought CC last Thursday blindly not knowing anything about it. All the praise it got from GAF led to my purchase. It's one of the best PSN games I've played.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cromulent_Word said:
Not selling so hot. Very sad over here too. Hopefully the demo will help, but what can you do - we made the best game we could for the best price we could, but in the end it's the gamers that define your level of sales success.

This makes me a sad panda. PSN gets a rather nice game (played the iPhone version) yet it doesn't sell well. :'(

Chocoboko

PIMPBYBLUD said:
I bought CC last Thursday blindly not knowing anything about it. All the praise it got from GAF led to my purchase. It's one of the best PSN games I've played.
This is what happened to me, only I bought it tonight. I really didn't know much about the game except for hype. I wasn't to excited for it but the second the game started I was sucked into this world. The whole game is GORGEOUS and it has a great sense of humor. It is just like any great puzzle game, easy to pick up and play but hard to master..and you can barf up rainbows for extra points...so it gets bonus points in my book This is exactly what PSN needs more off. :D

Surfheart

DidntKnowJack said:
Also Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania SOTN.

But there are quite a few that are curiously absent. Stuff like Wipeout XL (2097), Legend of Dragoon, etc. Stuff they published.

That's not out on EU store is it?

kassatsu

Banned
jp.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Updates throughout the week @ ~ 11PM EDT

ADD-ONS

► Project Witch (PSP)
○ New DLC Added

VIDEOS

► Heavy Rain
○ Special Presentation Video

THEMES & WALLPAPERS

► PS3 Wallpapers
○ 3D Dot Game Heroes

► PSP Wallpapers
○ Princess Antiphona’s Hymn: Angel’s Score Op.A

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I wish they'd just throw shit on the store when it's ready, not wait for one day a week to dump it all at once. Then we wouldn't have all these complaints. Of course, I know some people prefer the once a week method, but I'll never understand why.
I've been saying they should put up content whenever it's ready since the dawn of PSN.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Cromulent_Word said:
Don't give up yet! I think the demo might turn things around a bit. But going into the fall season for any downlodable title is going to be extremely tough...I wish yall the best of luck. :)

I bought my copy! :D

Everything I've heard about CC has been positive, so it's sad to see that sales number.

Will buy my copy this weekend. Your outreach to the community is appreciated, and hopefully with the demo in a week, rewarded.

kassatsu

Banned
hk.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Updates throughout the week.

SALES

► Lumines Supernova (Japanese | English Ver.)
○ HK$ 80.00

DEMOS

► Need For Speed: Shift (English Ver.)
○ 852 MB

PSP GAMES

► Full Games (English Ver.)
○ Burnout Legends (HK$ 160.00)
○ FIFA 10 (HK$ 320.00)
○ GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra (HK$ 270.00)
○ Madden 10 (HK$ 320.00)
○ Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (HK$ 160.00)
○ Need For Speed Carbon: Own the City (HK$ 160.00)
○ SSX on Tour (HK$ 80.00)
○ The Sims Castaway (HK$ 80.00)

ADD-ONS

► Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid (PSP | Chinese Ver.)
○ Add-on Content Ver. 26

► Dynasty Warriors Multi-Raid Special (Japanese Ver.)
○ Add-on Content Ver. 1

► Fallout 3 (English Ver.)
○ Broken Steel (HK$ 80.00)
○ Operation Anchorage (HK$ 80.00)
○ The Pitt (HK$ 80.00)

► King of Fighters XII (English | Japanese Ver.)
○ Dance Music Pack (HK$ 40.00)

► Red Faction Guerrilla (English Ver.)
○ Smasher Pack (HK$ 40.00)

► Tales of Vesperia (Japanese Ver.)
○ 300,000 Gald Pack (HK$ 36.00)

► Trinity Universe (Japanese Ver.)
○ Kindness of Tsubaki Pack

VIDEOS

► Final Fantasy XIII
○ TGS 2009 Promotional Video/li>

THEMES & WALLPAPERS

► PSP Themes
○ LocoRoco -Midnight Carnival-

► PSP Wallpapers
○ LocoRoco -Midnight Carnival-

kassatsu

Banned
Goddam.

Next week will be the year anniversary from when I took this thread over from tanod.

Time sure flies.

Here is to 52 more weeks!

Cromulent_Word said:
It's not bad, and i definitely don't feel like we sold terribly. Capy & SCEA just had higher hopes for our first week, and to miss it is unfortunate.

GAF hype!

seriously though your game lives up to the expectations, I think the gameplay mechanics actually exceeds them by far (as well as the amount of content).
The demo should hook up more people and the PAL (what about Japan btw?) release will basically double your sales
(besides Europeans have a better taste, there, I said it! ;) )

also I could imagine that your game will have steadier sales than many other games because from now on CC will be mentioned on Internet forums every time someone asks for a good (puzzle) game.

.detuned needs an automode for your own music :/ Though you kinda can play dj because of the sound effects ^^

Any impressions on Midnight Club: LA Remix? I need a good street racer for my Go. Also, how similar is it to Midnight Club: Los Angeles? If I already own that, should I hold off?

No45

Cromulent_Word said:
:(

Get it out in the UK and I shall do my part.

Cromulent_Word said:
FTR, I would buy a PSP version of Critter Crunch in a heartbeat! (maybe you could reuse your iPhone assets?) Anyway, that game looks like great fun! and if I ever buy a PS3, I'll download it that very day. :lol

AwRy108

LOL @ no Minis in the US. Figures. Well done, Sony--your plan to phase out the Minis is almost complete.

Also: only dickheads don't buy Critter Crunch.

While I can understand that Cromu & co. are disapointed with the sales, I 'd like to say that Im also disapointed about the game not launching on the european store at the same time. There are probably more buyers like me waiting for Critter Crunch's release, without needing to access the american store to buy content. Its actually something that disapoints me often when Sony doesnt synchronize their release launches.

No45

highluxury said:
Its actually something that disapoints me often when Sony doesnt synchronize their release launches.
I know it's more often than not Sonys fault, but in this case I'm pretty sure I remember Capy having admitted that they just didn't have the resource to get the relevant localisation done for simultaneous release.

I think the Critter Crunch guys were unlucky releasing the game so close to Uncharted 2, so many people are playing that right now.

Shurs

Nothing catches my interest this week. Although Ratchet and Clank for $10 might be worth the purchase. Next week I'm picking up Trine for sure.

I know nothing about CCrunch really but when it is available on the Australian store I'll buy it. It better be less than $10 AU (ie $9.95) considering how high our dollar is now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
AwRy108 said:
Also: only dickheads don't buy Critter Crunch.
There's a lot of us in the world then :(

I bought it on iPhone but it didn't really click with me at the time. I know this version is significantly expanded and considered "definitive" but I'm going to wait for the demo to see if I like it any better on the PS3 with standard gamepade controls.

No45 said:
I know it's more often than not Sonys fault, but in this case I'm pretty sure I remember Capy having admitted that they just didn't have the resource to get the relevant localisation done for simultaneous release.
This is the truth - it was just too much for us to handle while also trying to actually get the game done. No disrespect to my European pals, we're trying to get it out asap.

Also, hello to all the journalists reading GAF who posted my "we're kinda bummed about sales" talk all over the web :)

Fodder76 said:
Capy -

As a fellow developer, I'm sad to hear that the sales of the game didn't live up to your expectations. I bought it and am loving it. This is a perfect little package for $7, and it has earned your company a spot on my very small list of 'companies whos games are of such a level of quality that I'd probably buy pretty much anything they put out'.

And believe it or not, its not easy to get on that list.

Anyway, I'm making my friends buy it, and I'm really looking forward to Might and Magic.
Wow, that's awesome. Really, our goal with Critter Crunch was to make something that would make it easy for people to relate our studio with "good games". I really appreciate that you feel that way.
DaBargainHunta said:
Any reason there wasn't a demo right out of the gate? Especially since a demo was apparently included with the final download.

I think a demo would've helped sales tremendously. When I heard there was one included with the final game purchase, but not available outside of that, that turned me off quite a bit - to be perfectly honest with you.

Now that I know a standalone demo is coming, I'm excited for it. Just wondering why it wasn't here a week ago?
Listen to this weeks episode of PSNation podcast (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377144), i answer that question (hahaha that was a good plug on my part.)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Cromulent_Word said:
Im not trying to shame GAF into buying it - hope it didnt come across that way. Even despite the not-so-awesome sales Critter Crunch has been a huge success for our studio. Our reviews have been amazing, and the response from people that picked it up has been beyond our expectations. In the end, I just hope people give it a shot, even if it's just the demo.

I really appreciate all the GAF'ers that have supported our baby this first tumultuous week :)

for me, it is up there with Tetris and Lumines... not a game I will soon stop playing.

AwRy108

kaching said:
There's a lot of us in the world then :(

I bought it on iPhone but it didn't really click with me at the time. I know this version is significantly expanded and considered "definitive" but I'm going to wait for the demo to see if I like it any better on the PS3 with standard gamepade controls.

Can't imagine that the touch controls on the iPhone version would allow for enough precision on this game; but I could be wrong.

Either way, definitely try the demo--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, especially once you see the game in HD. Oh, and I'm sure you're not really a dickhead, so pardon my earlier generalization.

AleeN634

depward said:
Anyone play either of the Harvest Moon titles for the PSP? Can anyone offer any recs?

Hmm I can tell you Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon is overly easy and simplistic. It's a decent price but you can do better for Harvest Moon on PSP.

From what I understood the Boy/Girl one is a port of the older PSOne titles if that's any help but I haven't played this one.

Cromulent_Word said:
Also, hello to all the journalists reading GAF who posted my "we're kinda bummed about sales" talk all over the web :)

Well, it's going to bring the game to more people's attention... that's why I'm posting this. I have to be quite honest and say that I'm a strict no demo = no buy kind of gamer when it comes to DD content. That's why I buy the vast majority of my downloadable games from XBLA cause there is a mandatory demo and I buy a lot of games I normally would have overlooked.

This game did peak my interest but with no demo, I just passed along. Now that a demo is out, I will be sure to download it and give it a whirl and if it's something that peaks my interest then I will put some dollars down for it.

I know you guys get charged extra from Sony for the demo downloads but it really pays to have a demo for games now a days that are DD. I look forward to playing this one next week.

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Well, it's going to bring the game to more people's attention... that's why I'm posting this. I have to be quite honest and say that I'm a strict no demo = no buy kind of gamer when it comes to DD content. That's why I buy the vast majority of my downloadable games from XBLA cause there is a mandatory demo and I buy a lot of games I normally would have overlooked.

This game did peak my interest but with no demo, I just passed along. Now that a demo is out, I will be sure to download it and give it a whirl and if it's something that peaks my interest then I will put some dollars down for it.

I know you guys get charged extra from Sony for the demo downloads but it really pays to have a demo for games now a days that are DD. I look forward to playing this one next week.

Great point.

Hey cromulent, just wanted to say I'm enjoying critter crunch. I'm a huge magical drop fan, so variations on the theme are always welcome. I like the "crocodile hunter" motif, it's goofy and it works.

You guys are definitely on my radar for anything else you release from here on out.

For anyone on the fence, it's kinda like a money idol exchanger style variant, with smaller stacks and a completely different chain system.

Shinriji

pancakesandsex said:
For anyone on the fence, it's kinda like a money idol exchanger style variant, with smaller stacks and a completely different chain system.

That's exactly why I loved Critter Crunch at first sight. Exchanger was the most frantic game that I played at the arcades, and requires some advanced keikaku thinking to chaining and score properly, not just quick reflexes, like puzzle fighter.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
had a quick look at the US PSN store, and although there are a few good PSP games on there that the EU doesn't have, its not that big a difference. They have some nice PSone games though.

I downloaded some PSone games to test out how easy it is to switch accounts on the PSP.

ChryZ

I really hope Critter Crunch will do well in the end. It's such a great game with tons of value for a very small price.

highluxury said:
While I can understand that Cromu & co. are disapointed with the sales, I 'd like to say that Im also disapointed about the game not launching on the european store at the same time. There are probably more buyers like me waiting for Critter Crunch's release, without needing to access the american store to buy content. Its actually something that disapoints me often when Sony doesnt synchronize their release launches.
Sony got very little to do with it. The game is self-published and Capybara Games is a small studio. Be patient, good things will come to those who wait.

Azrael

I'm surprised to hear Critter Crunch isn't doing better, since it had good word of mouth, was released at a good price point, and was pushed pretty heavily on the blog, unlike a lot of PSN games which are kind of dumped on the store without any fanfare and priced $10 with no demo. I did my part and picked up the game, although sadly I haven't had time to play it yet.

Baron

You know what I want? I want a PSN download version of Space Invaders Extreme for PSP. That would be the ideal game to have on my memory stick, ready for bursts of play whenever. I have the UMD, but I'd double dip for this game.

Sadly, haven't no Square Enix games been released for the PSP as downloads at all so far?

SolidusDave said:
I would argue that for some (many?) games a later released demo has a better effect in sales than a demo on day 1.

I would argue that the game gets the most press, the most attention when it first comes out. By releasing a demo later, people move on to other things like the next best and greatest game. We as gamers have ADD and you have to catch us early and strike when the iron is hot.

With a service like XBLA having demos day and date of release, there really is no excuse to not have it on the competing system and from my experience from myself and my friends it only hurts a game to not have a demo.

Baron said:
You know what I want? I want a PSN download version of Space Invaders Extreme for PSP. That would be the ideal game to have on my memory stick, ready for bursts of play whenever. I have the UMD, but I'd double dip for this game.

Sadly, haven't no Square Enix games been released for the PSP as downloads at all so far?
This man speaks truth. SI:E is awesome and needs to be on PSN. I'd double dip too.

Also, in regards to CC, I bought it based on the GAF love and it's one of my favorite PSN games thus far. Right up there with the Pixel Junk series in my book. Sad the first week sales didn't meet projections. I hope Capy finds "long tail" success with it.

Top Bottom