• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store Germany about to expropriate purchased "Studio Canal"-content from customers

Starhowl

The website states that beginning from August 31st 2022 customers will not be able to access their purchased content from Studio Canal on the Playstation Store Germany anymore.

In addition the corresponding website mentions no refund to customers.

100 Bloody Acres
20 Feet From Stardom
3 From Hell
A Bigger Splash
A Dangerous Man
A Monster Calls
A Shaun The Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
A Simple Favor
A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures
A War
Abduction
African Safari
Alibi.com
All Dogs Go to Heaven
Alles Für Meinen Vater
Amen
American Assassin
American Gods | Season 1
American Gods | Season 2
And Soon the Darkness
Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein
Anna (2019)

Another Day/Another Time: Celebrating the Music of "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Apocalypse Now
Apocalypse Now Redux
Arizona Dream
As Good as Dead
Asterix - Operation Hinkelstein
Asterix in Amerika
Awaydays
Bachelorette
Back to Burgundy
Ballon
Banklady
Bel Ami
Beziehungsweise New York (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Big Eyes
Black Coal, Thin Ice
Blair Witch
Blendende Weihnachten
Blonde Ambition
Blood and Chocolate
Bridget Jones's Baby
Brighton Rock
Bronson
Brooklyn's Finest
Buena Vista Social Club
C'est la vie - So sind wir, so ist das Leben
Can a Song Save Your Life? (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Capital in the 21st Century
Chicken Run
Chloe
Cockneys Vs Zombies
Cold Blood - Kein Ausweg, keine Gnade
Cold Pursuit
Command Performance
Countdown Copenhagen | Season 1
Countdown Copenhagen | Season 2
Cruel Intentions
Cuban Fury
Cyborg Soldier
Dante 01
Daredevil
Das Geheimnis der Bäume
Das magische Haus (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Das schweigende Klassenzimmer
Das Tier
Dear John
Death Wish
Deepwater Horizon
Dem Horizont so nah
DEPRECATED - Vehicle 19
Der Himmel über Berlin
Der Pianist
Der Solist
Desaster
Deux Moi
Die drei Tage des Condor
Die Farbe der Milch
Die Nonne
Die Norm - Ist dabei sein wirklich alles?
Die Prinzessin von Montpensier
Die Reise der Pinguine
Die schwarzen Brüder
Die Stadt der Blinden
Die Vorahnung
Die Wand
Die zwei Gesichter des Januars (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Die zwei Leben des Daniel Shore
Direct Contact
Disconnect
Django
Django - Nur der Colt war sein Freund
Django, der Rächer
Djangos Rückkehr
Double Identity
Dylan Dog: Dead Of Night
Early Man
Eine zauberhafte Nanny - Knall auf Fall in ein neues Abenteuer
Enkel für Anfänger
Eraserhead
Es ist zu deinem Besten
Escape From New York
Exit Marrakech (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Family for Rent
Fantastic Movie
Film Noir
Fitzcarraldo
Flight
Fog in August
From the Land of the Moon
Garden State
Gauguin
George Harrison: Living In The Material World
Gold
Good Night, and Good Luck
Goodbye Berlin
Green Zone
Half Light
Half Nelson
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga
Heidi
Holy Lands
Homies
Homo Faber
Hotel Very Welcome
I Give It a Year
I Phone You
I Still Believe
Idioten
In Fear
In Safe Hands
Inside Llewyn Davis (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Inspektor Jury - Der Tote im Pub
Interview
Jean Paul Gaultier: Freak And Chic
Jigsaw
John Wick
Julia
Julia's Eyes
Jumper
Junebug
Kein Sex ist auch keine Lösung
Kill Switch
King of Thieves
Kiss & Kill
Kleine Morde
Knight of Cups
Kundun
Kurzer Prozess
La La Land
Land of Plenty
Larry Crowne
Legend (2015)
Locke
Logan Lucky
Long Shot (2019)
Love & Mercy
Love the Coopers
Love, Cecil
Love, Marilyn
Ludwig / Walkenhorst - Der weg zu gold
Macbeth
Madame
Mahler auf der Couch
Mama Africa - Miriam Makeba
Man Up
Manhunter
Mann beißt Hund
Marley
Mein Blind Date mit dem Leben
Mein Stück vom Kuchen
Mensch Dave!
Mia and The White Lion
Midnight Sun | Season 1
MILF - Ferien mit Happy End
Mindscape
Mio, mein Mio
Mirror Mirror
Mirrors
Mommy
Mon chien Stupide
Mon Roi
Mood Indigo (Theatrical Cut)
Mortdecai
Mother's Day
Mount St. Elias
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Mullewapp - Eine schöne Schweinerei
My Way - Ein Leben für das Chanson
Nach einer wahren Geschichte
Nerve
Nimmermeer
Non-Stop (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht
Obsession (1997)
Only the Brave
Oskar und die Dame in rosa
Our Kind of Traitor
Paddington
Paddington 2
Pain and Glory
Paranoia
Patriots Day
Paul & die Schule des Lebens
Pawn Sacrifice
Pi
Populaire
Radioactive
Ran
Red Hill
Redacted
Restrepo
Rexx, der Feuerwehrhund
Roads
Robbi, Tobbi und das Fliewatüüt
Robin Hood (2018)
Robocop (inklusive Bonusmaterial)
Rose
Runaway Jury
Saban's Power Rangers
Sammys Abenteuer 2
Saw
Saw 2
Saw III
Saw IV (Unrated)
Saw V
Saw VI (Unrated)
Saw VII - Vollendung
Selma
Serena
Shaun the Sheep Movie
Shine a Light
Sicario
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
Sing Street
Sink or Swim
Song To Song
Source Code
Stargate
Status Quo - Hello Quo
Streets of Blood
Stronger
Take the Ball, Pass the Ball: The Barcelona Way
The Apparition
The Artist and the Model
The Bank Job
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years
The Child In Time
The Cider House Rules
The Commuter
The Crazies
The Crew
The Crow: City of Angels
The Deer Hunter
The Doors: When You're Strange
The Elephant Man
The Factory
The Fountain
The Ghost Writer
The Giver
The Glass Castle
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Gunman
The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (plus Bonus Features)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Plus Bonus Features)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
The Illusionist
The King Of The Hill
The Kings of Summer
The Last Exorcism
The Last Exorcism Part II
The Little Witch
The Lost City of Z
The Lost Prince
The Mercy
The Million Dollar Hotel
The Next Three Days
The Other F Word
The Past
The Piano
The Place Beyond the Pines
The Possession
The Program
The Recruit
The Secret Garden
The Sentinel
The Silent House (La Casa Muda)
The Son of Bigfoot
The Spy Who Dumped Me
The Swell Season
The Take
The Tourist
The Two Deaths Of Quincas Wateryell
The Wild Life
The Wrestler
These Final Hours
This Is Spinal Tap
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
To the Wonder
Unknown
Vatertage - Opa über Nacht
Verführt und Verlassen
Vielleicht, vielleicht auch nicht
We Are Your Friends
Wen die Geister lieben
Wo ist Albert?
Wonder
Wunderkinder
Yardie
Young and Beautiful
ZeroZeroZero | Season 1
Zidane - Ein Porträt im 21. Jahrhundert
Source

Last edited:

Moses85

Season 5 What GIF by Sony Pictures Television

GHG

Gold Member
Why can't people download something if they've purchased it?

Movie industry.

Them and the music industry roll differently like that. If the gaming industry start adopting policies that those two adopt then we are in big trouble. Which is the biggest reason why the moment companies start saying you can only stream certain games then it needs to be met with a resounding no.

While this can also happen with digital games at least you can download the content for safe/permanent keeping should you need to. That isn't the case with streamed content.

Three

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
One thing is removing it from the store front. Another one is not being able to download it afterwards.

This happens with movies and music across multiple services all the time. Your rights are different when it comes to media vs games.

Older example but can't download any of my Zune purchases anymore, it's the way it goes for digital licences with movies/music, you're not really purchasing anything other than a temporary license that exists as long as the publisher decides it's valid. It's just that most consumers don't have any idea about it and think they are purchasing something for good.

onesvenus

MS remove it afterwards too. I know because I've asked for a refund when it was. Just barely anybody buys movies and TV shows from the xbox store to realise.

This happens with movies and music across multiple services all the time. Your rights are different when it comes to media vs games.

Older example but can't download any of my Zune purchases anymore, it's the way it goes for digital licences with movies/music, you're not really purchasing anything other than a temporary license that exists as long as the publisher decides it's valid. It's just that most consumers don't have any idea about it and think they are purchasing something for good.
I'm not saying they don't do that, as you say, it's a common practice.
Do you have any source on them doing that though? Their support page for missing movies and tv doesn't say anything about not being able to download them afterward ( https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/apps/videos-missing-or-unviewable ) and the Microsoft community forums answers also say that you should be able to download them and that not being able to do so is a bug ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-missing/4e2203bc-3c4b-477a-bb8f-40710bb3d2c2 )

Three

report it to the german consumer protection agency:
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Who will unfortunately do absolutely nothing about it but if they do it will be amazing.

I'm not saying they don't do that, as you say, it's a common practice.
Do you have any source on them doing that though? Their support page for missing movies and tv doesn't say anything about not being able to download them afterward ( https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/apps/videos-missing-or-unviewable ) and the Microsoft community forums answers also say that you should be able to download them and that not being able to do so is a bug ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-missing/4e2203bc-3c4b-477a-bb8f-40710bb3d2c2 )

Your last link has no accepted answer and several people saying they have some of their purchased movies missing. Here is another:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...alog-how/fbaa2271-b543-4732-a98e-42b180e37fb0

It's just that Apple, MS, Amazon etc do not make a public announcement that some licence has been revoked and you can no longer view your purchased movie. It just disappears. I bet even this Studio Canal notice by Sony of things being removed was hard to find.

Last edited:

CeeJay

If anything this is a reason why subscription services are the way to go. At least if you are renting the content, they can't take away your purchases.

Ownership of digital content is dumb as it is and this shows just how easy it is to lose it. But if you don't own it then it's no great loss anyway if it goes away. The days of physical ownership of games is something that at this point is probably not good investment outside of oddities and limited runs. Gone are the days when you buy a full finished game and can collect it. All new games now can get downloadable software updates so you can not own the complete game on physical media (again, outside of oddities and limited run). If you want to collect games then just double down on the retro market and keep it strictly pre-PS360 era and come to terms with the fact that things have changed and won't go back to how they were. As gaming becomes more and more mainstream and the market increases you can be sure that those classic retro collections will only go up in value. You can never say the same about a physical copy of a modern game, the whole idea of collecting modern stuff is tainted with the stench of on-going development and updates. I think this will definitely affect the long term value of these incomplete husks compared to pre-internet connected systems.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Your last link has no accepted answer and several people saying they have some of their purchased movies missing. Here is another:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...alog-how/fbaa2271-b543-4732-a98e-42b180e37fb0
Your link doesn't have any evidence of what you say.

His links are 9+ years old and for the Xbox 360.
I'm trying to find a source that corroborates that instead of blindly believing someone in a forum. Sorry about that. Can you provide any link with some confirmation that Microsoft does that?

Three

His links are 9+ years old and for the Xbox 360.
Exactly and no fix came out. It's just removed content no longer being available, not a bug. My link is from 2 yrs ago too.

With these services the publisher is the owner and the service providers have a licence to store/distribute and stream content to customers. The publisher can revoke a licence from the service provider when they like.

How so? It's literally somebody who had a purchased movie removed from their catalogue and asking for a way to get it back or a refund. The MS agent essentially says there is no way on something removed from the catalog and advises who to contact for a refund. Their second issue is if they can download a movie to the console for keeping instead of stream.
Still not enough evidence? What about this guys Prometheus purchase disappearing

Screenshot-20220701-143508-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Slightly different but this happened when I moved from US to EU. I lost access to all Amazon purchased movies/shows. However I didn’t loose any games from any of my game accounts.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
yeah yeah all digital future means no ownership and all but we first need to ask why in the hell these games are even getting removed in the first place? what did this studio canal DO exactly to have their shit gone??

mxbison

Movie industry.

Them and the music industry roll differently like that. If the gaming industry start adopting policies that those two adopt then we are in big trouble.

Yeah, movie industry is a whole different level of bullshit.

I mean you can buy a Blu-Ray movie and put it in your PC just to get a message that it will only play if you also buy the PowerDVD software. How is that shit even legal lol.

Topher

Gold Member

I'm trying to find a source that corroborates that instead of blindly believing someone in a forum. Sorry about that. Can you provide any link with some confirmation that Microsoft does that?

I don't know if it has ever happened, but Microsoft's terms flatly say they can remove digital content from your account.

"We may disable access to Digital Content associated with your account for any reason. We may also remove or disable Digital Content on your device in order to protect the Store or potentially affected parties. Some Digital Content may be unavailable from time to time or may be offered for a limited time. Availability can be affected by region. Thus, if you change your account or device profile information to another region, you may not be able to re-download or re-stream Digital Content that you purchased; you may need to re-purchase Digital Content that you paid for in your previous region. Except to the extent required by applicable law, we have no obligation to provide a re-download or replacement of any Digital Content you purchase."

Three

I don't know if it has ever happened, but Microsoft's terms flatly say they can remove digital content from your account.
It has happened and still happens plenty of times. It's just that barely anybody uses the xbox video (movies and tv) store anymore for people to realise. Consoles got better support for more popular services like Amazon Prime and iTunes who also do the exact same thing and even then this isn't something most people know about.

Last edited:

Dane

Movie industry.

Them and the music industry roll differently like that. If the gaming industry start adopting policies that those two adopt then we are in big trouble. Which is the biggest reason why the moment companies start saying you can only stream certain games then it needs to be met with a resounding no.

While this can also happen with digital games at least you can download the content for safe/permanent keeping should you need to. That isn't the case with streamed content.
The way they work is so fucked up that the gaming industry despises them and are only seen as an useful tool for revenue for X years, Microsoft for example only works with some crossovers and Forza, and that's because the latter licenses and content can be carried over to the next game, they don't work on licensed titles because they want to retain permanent licenses especially with their backwards compatibility where old games are sold, which is why is speculated that MachineGames Indiana Jones would never float had it started under MS.

Reactions: GHG
cringggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, looks like someone forgot Xbox still has the shitty DRM
You mean you need to connect a console once to the internet, so the digital license can be verified when setting up a new console or when you plug your external HDD games onto a new console? That's not shitty DRM, that's the only way how it can work

Last edited:
Top Bottom