• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation System software v8.00 launching - it's a big, little one

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/14/ps4-system-software-update-8-00-launching-today/

Updates to Party and Messages
Following this update, Party and Messages will be more tightly linked together and you will see changes to the UI. Both apps will now use the same ‘Groups’ of players for Party voice chats and message exchanges, instead of having different groups setup across the two apps. So now you can start a Party chat or send a message to the group you’ve previously chatted with across PS4, as well as PS5 when it launches.

New Avatars
We’re expanding the collection of pre-set avatars for players to showcase on their Profile. An array of new avatars from your favorite games will be available, including Bloodborne, Journey, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, The Last of Us Part II, The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and many more.

Mute all Mics from Quick Menu
We’ve added an option to “Mute all Microphones” in the Quick Menu, so you can easily mute your mics while gaming.

Simplified and more flexible Parental Controls
Under Parental Controls, we’re combining the ‘Communicating with Other Players’ and ‘Viewing Content Created by other Players’ into one setting – ‘Communication and User Generated Content’- to cover both areas of communication and UGC sharing. This offers a simpler setting that’s easier for parents to understand and apply to their children.

In addition, children can send a request to their parents to use communications features in specific games. When a child sends this request, the parent will receive an email notification and can choose to make an exception for that game and allow the child to use its communications and UGC features. This will provide more flexibility to both parents and children.

Enhanced 2-Step Verification
The 2-Step Verification (2SV) feature on PS4 will be enhanced to support third party authenticator apps as an option during the activation flow and 2SV sign-in across PS4, mobile and web.

Removal of Event Creation and Private Community Creation
After 8.00, you will no longer be able to create Events or access existing Events created by other users.

We’re also removing the ability to create private Communities under the Community app on PS4. If you already have existing private Communities, you can continue to access them.

Updates to Remote Play App on Mobile and PC
At the same time as 8.00, the existing PS4 Remote Play app on mobile (iOS/Android), Windows PC and Mac, will change its name to PS Remote Play, and the option to connect to PS5 will be added. You’ll need to sign in to PSN from your PS5 to be able to access the feature, so sit tight until PS5 launches this November!

And of course dat juicy stability

3c8zpVH.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They should start documenting a bit how the SDK changes for developers and how it affects games... often the biggest changes are there and users just point and laugh at “Stability updates” ;).

Skyfox

Wouldn't like to be managing the ps4 to ps5 network infrastructure myself. With ps3 they just dropped it and started fresh for the following gen.

This is the flip side of non-physical products Sony. Digital maintenance is not free!

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Boring update. The new avatars are nice but I don't rock free avatars. I still want to know why Jim restricted the the avatars and themes.

GreatnessRD

I'm just not a fan of the new changes to messages and party chat. Shit is super phony. But I'm not updating yet as it appears the update is super buggy according to the comments in the blog post.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think this update will be hard to judge until we get hands on with the PS5 OS to be honest. At this point I'm sure theres a lot of thinking behind the changes we can't possibly evaluate without context of what's coming.

mitch1971

This firware may as well be called 'clique' firmware, the way they have restricted party chat, now. Old system: open or private. New system: private only, with extra steps to annoy the host who has to added people to groups. Also, its bugged the friends list right up.

Mute all Mics from Quick Menu
We’ve added an option to “Mute all Microphones” in the Quick Menu, so you can easily mute your mics while gaming.

Ok, great, but will the setting be sticky or will it have to be done manually each session? Open mic should never be the default.

Trogdor1123

Seems ok to me, I like the parent stuff changes. Rest isn't bad either, the private communities stuff seems odd though...

Mithos

Enhanced 2-Step Verification
The 2-Step Verification (2SV) feature on PS4 will be enhanced to support third party authenticator apps as an option during the activation flow and 2SV sign-in across PS4, mobile and web.

Sound great, not active yet though it seems.
I've deactivated my 2 step and reactivated, only get the option to add my phone, do I need to actually delete the phonenumber first to get this new option?

Banned
they fucking ruined the party invites and the friends list loads about twice as long now!

GREAT UPDATE!

why keep the easy to use way to invite friends by simply clicking at the icon and selecting chat in party? HAH! let's make it so every time you do that you open up a completely different party lobby! BECAUSE THAT MAKES SENSE!

😑😑😑😑😑😑😑😑😑

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Having the same issue, can't view trophies either.
Trophies work for me. I'll try again. It surely is a temporary issue. Doesn't happen often.
I just find it funny that the PSN status page says everything is alright.
Fuck me god damn it. Jim Ryan better fix this within 1 hour I want my PlayStation with all features.

GreatnessRD

I just wish someone would explain to me why they changed the party features? Like, I can't comprehend this goofiness at all. So do I gotta make a new group every time I want to add someone? Can I kick people out of the group if I created it? Just feel Sony is doing way too much for no reason. So irritating!

RCU005

I have 2FV enabled on my PSN account since many years, however, I currently live in an area with practically no cellular signal so I can't get SMS for the passcode. Would you recommend to use an authenticator app? Are they safe? better? If so, which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I have 2FV enabled on my PSN account since many years, however, I currently live in an area with practically no cellular signal so I can't get SMS for the passcode. Would you recommend to use an authenticator app? Are they safe? better? If so, which one would you recommend?
The general consensus is that apps are significantly more secure than SMS.
I think there is effectively no difference between the different apps like between Google and Microsoft.
But afaik you cannot backup your verification from an app which is sucky imho. At least you cannot backup Google Authenticator profiles.

JSoup

Banned

The key phrase there is "by other users".
Sony isn't recording your voice chats, but the users you're chatting with have that option now and they have the option of sending those recordings in if they want. If you try to use party chat, the options for "record" and "forward to mods" are right on screen.

Mithos

But afaik you cannot backup your verification from an app which is sucky imho. At least you cannot backup Google Authenticator profiles.

Authy can make backups, and easily move between phones and just login and recover all 2FA verification on the new phone.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
What in Sam's Hell?

It's called 2FA
WTF is 2SV

Like I get what it stands for, but dude, don't play Microsoft and label your flavor of standardized shit something fancy
It just confuses people

Texas Pride

Banned
This has always been there and can be disabled by selecting the "never allow" (for your voice being shared) option in party settings.

The option in the chat seems to relate the audio in game clips & streaming. When I did a test party that message came up essentially telling me by entering a party I agree to have my voice recorded. To my knowledge there's no disable feature.

Are parties and online features working again yet? I saw earlier today people saying their friends list wasn't working anymore, and they were getting error messages when trying to start a party.

Top Bottom