• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation to break 6 billion game sales by mid-2023

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
90327_21_playstation-to-break-6-billion-game-sales-by-mid-2023.png

Sony's video games division is set to break a staggering milestone in 2023. The company is expected to pass the 6 billion cumulative game sales mark by the end of Q1 FY23, or June 30, 2023. Sony data shows that historical PlayStation game sales are currently at 5.913 billion as of the Q3 holiday period.

This figure combines all PlayStation platform software sales data that Sony has provided. Interestingly enough, the PlayStation Vita's software sales are not published. It's possible that PlayStation has already sold more than 6 billion games depending on the Vita's performance.

90327_52_playstation-to-break-6-billion-game-sales-by-mid-2023.jpg

A quick bit of math shows that Sony still has to sell 87 million games before it can break the 6 billion software sales mark based on the platforms that it has provided numbers for. These kinds of sales only happen during the holiday quarter; for example, Sony sold 86.5 million PlayStation games in Q3'22.

90327_54_playstation-to-break-6-billion-game-sales-by-mid-2023.jpg

The Q4 periods from January - March typically achieve around 60-65 million software sales, except in Sony's record FY21 where it sold 70.5 million.

So that means Sony may require two quarters in order to rack up that 87 million sales target. Sony could break the milestone sometime in Q1 Fiscal Year 2023, which would be from April - June 2023.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9032...k-6-billion-game-sales-by-mid-2023/index.html

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I just did a quick check, and surprisingly that’s more than Nintendo’s lifetime software sales, which are roughly 5.5 billion units across all Nintendo hardware (NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS). The middling software sales of the N64, GC and Wii U really drag their overall numbers down.

Last edited:
I just did a quick check, and surprisingly that’s more than Nintendo’s lifetime software sales, which are roughly 5.5 billion units across all Nintendo hardware (NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, GB, GBC, DS, 3DS). The middling software sales of the N64, GC and Wii U really drag their overall numbers down.
You forgot GBA
Btw next quarter Switch will be the first Nintendo platform to reach 1 billion games sold, the fact that actually it sold as much software as PS3 despite selling much more is incredible to me.

nush

Gold Member
I just did a quick check, and surprisingly that’s more than Nintendo’s lifetime software sales, which are roughly 5.5 billion units across all Nintendo hardware (NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, GB, GBC, DS, 3DS). The middling software sales of the N64, GC and Wii U really drag their overall numbers down.

Quick, add in Virtual Boy, Aracde titles and iQue and it might make up the shortfall.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
This figure combines all PlayStation platform software sales data that Sony has provided. Interestingly enough, the PlayStation Vita's software sales are not published. It's possible that PlayStation has already sold more than 6 billion games depending on the Vita's performance.
Unlikely given that Vita sold under 15M in hw - and even the best recorded handheld attach rate (NDS, that hit 6+) would not be enough to cover 90M missing.

That aside - at the rate PS4/PS5 sw is selling - it'll exceed the rest of PS platforms combined by the time successor comes around.

Kerotan

I just did a quick check, and surprisingly that’s more than Nintendo’s lifetime software sales, which are roughly 5.5 billion units across all Nintendo hardware (NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS). The middling software sales of the N64, GC and Wii U really drag their overall numbers down.
So PlayStation has sold more games then Nintendo. And in way less time. Incredible impact Sony have had on gaming.

Baki

3rd parties doing the heavy lifting for Sony. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Soo that’s just Sony made / publish games or all games on all ps platforms?

All games sold on Sony platforms.

Lunatic_Gamer Lunatic_Gamer : We will not take that Vita erasal!

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Last edited:

BlackTron

Man not gonna lie, when I read that number my heart fluttered a little bit. Imagine selling one game for almost every person alive on the planet.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Man not gonna lie, when I read that number my heart fluttered a little bit. Imagine selling one game for almost every person alive on the planet.
We haven't been 6 billion since the early 2000s. We're over 7 billion now.
You forgot GBA
Btw next quarter Switch will be the first Nintendo platform to reach 1 billion games sold, the fact that actually it sold as much software as PS3 despite selling much more is incredible to me.
Yeah but GTA V is like 90% of all PS3 games sold.

yurinka

3rd parties doing the heavy lifting for Sony. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yes, mainly because they are console with the biggest 3rd party support and because in all platforms with a wide 3rd party support, the 3rd party games logically get most of the sales.

In gaming 3rd party games are also by far the most played ones, so if in a platform most sales are 1st party this is a sign not only of a 3rd party support that may need to be improved, but also that it's mostly a secondary platform for someone who mainly plays somewhere else and is only interested on a few games of that platform.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
You forgot GBA
ps3 was at like 700 million software units at the same point in its life, switch should easily do another 200+ million this year and continue to move decent software for the next few after
should have no issue hitting 1.5 billion like the ps2, ps4 is, unfortunately, hazy now as the last ps4 only update was early 2021 at just under 1.6 billion , regardless I don't know if switch will beat ps4 (it was keeping pace, but covid lit a fire under ps4 software sales much like the heat it gave to switch consoles sales) but to say the ps3 sold more software than the switch is misleading

ps3 was at like 700 million software units at the same point in its life, switch should easily do another 200+ million this year and continue to move decent software for the next few after
should have no issue hitting 1.5 billion like the ps2, ps4 is, unfortunately, hazy now as the last ps4 only update was early 2021 at just under 1.6 billion , regardless I don't know if switch will beat ps4 (it was keeping pace, but covid lit a fire under ps4 software sales much like the heat it gave to switch consoles sales) but to say the ps3 sold more software than the switch is misleading
I don't think it's misleading, you are just considering time as the only variable and that's pretty arbitrary, but who am I to complain. How many consoles sold ps3 at the same point in its life? Switch already sold 30+ millions more and that's already whole 30+% of entire PS3 LTD.
Of course in the end will sell more software since will sell 50 or 60+ millions consoles more lol

We haven't been 6 billion since the early 2000s. We're over 7 billion now.

Yeah but GTA V is like 90% of all PS3 games sold.
GTAV was released right at the end of generation, the majority of its sales are on PS4, PC and Xbox One. Nintendo biggest sellers sold way more than the PS3 version of GTAV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom