• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation to close Manchester VR studio

nikolino840

It is possible that they closed the company but then incorporated into other studios created by Sony like London studios, maybe they continue there the game

PS4 is also selling less. Does that mean "PS4 is dying" or does that just mean that people are waiting for new, better hardware..? You think Sony won't launch a better model for PS5? I certainly wouldn't be buying a PSVR at this point if I didn't own one, I'd be waiting.

There is no difference between dying and selling less if the remedy is to replace an old product with a new one. I know people due to fanboy wars have sensitivities to the word dying, but that's an accurate statement. The Xbox One is currently "dying" maybe not the X but it will be shortly, and then when it's replaced by the Series X, and the PS4 the PS5, they will be new exciting products full of life. Classic marketing talk.

If there wasn't going to be a new version of VR I would have just said that PSVR is basically dead and it's on it's last legs selling out stock, But I didn't.

That's the point though, even on a downward trend, its selling more pcvr. Its definitely not dying because of a slump.

No it's not. You are confusing yourself but adding LTD to current sales, LTD isn't "selling" it's the total number. You basically jsut said PSVR is currently selling more than PCVR, it's not, Oculus Quest ALONE has been outselling PSVR, add the other PCVR and the number grows even more.

As I said PCVR for awhile now has been on an uptrend, and PSVR has been on a down trend. To be fair the downtrend is more like a gradual decline which would be stable if PSVR dropped in price or had some more hyped up games coming out.

It still sells more than anything. You just speculate that it will be dead because you believe someday the other devices will sell more.
You forget that the other devices had upgrades and they are still behind psvr. Imagine what will happen again with the first psvr upgrade.
The legit argument here is if psvr is way more, or a bit more alive than the other headsets. The ''psvr is dead''statement is insane.

I never said that PSVR was dead, you made that up to create a fake argument.

First, to address your earlier post, no PSVR is not the most successful headset, Samsung Gear is, at least in sales, profits is another discussion.

You are also lying Oculus Quest alone, has been doing better than PSVR aligned recently, everyone knows this, it's why all these articles keep mentioning how well it's doing. To be "selling better" PSVR has to be moving MORE than current (Post december) OQ numbers, it's not,

It is very likely that Oculus Quest will maintain it's currently lead and the Nov-Dec period will be the last time PSVR is the marketleader.

One thing a lot of you don't get is while PCVR was increasing and still selling less than PSVR, PSVR was still selling less and less, now with the help of Quest and to a lesser extent Valve Index, PCVR is currently ahead of PSVR in 2020.

It is very unlikely that PSVR will retain that lead, even when the new version comes out since PSVR's sales depends on the installbase and when the PS5 comes out that's going to be the system Sony will push the new PSVR with the most and that's going to start from zero at launch.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There is no difference between dying and selling less if the remedy is to replace an old product with a new one.

Dying has a negative connotation where "selling less" does not. You explicitly used the word "dying" to imply that it's failing, you wouldn't do that with PS4 even though it's selling less, because it isn't failing. Neither is console (PS) VR.

Dying has a negative connotation where "selling less" does not. You explicitly used the word "dying" to imply that it's failing, you wouldn't do that with PS4 even though it's selling less, because it isn't failing. Neither is console (PS) VR.

"Product is dying" "We need to add to new life to a dying line-up" and various other phrases are comonly used in marketing. The only reason why dying is upsetting you is because it's used too much in the console wars. It's the same thing.

There are many products "selling less" that will be on for years with no replacement, dying is used when there's either urgency or you are expecting to replace a declining product at some point.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Product is dying" "We need to add to new life to a dying line-up" and various other phrases are comonly used in marketing. The only reason why dying is upsetting you is because it's used too much in the console wars. It's the same thing.

There are many products "selling less" that will be on for years with no replacement, dying is used when there's either urgency or you are expecting to replace a declining product at some point.

You're not a marketer, you're a forum poster. You used the word because you meant failing. You can't have meant "console VR is selling less and it will be replaced" because you can't "replace" a concept like console VR, it either exists or it doesn't. So by your own definition, there is some "urgency" somewhere. Hence... failing.

My point is that console VR is not failing, make it simple, do you agree with that or not?

xrnzaaas

I think they had a project, but they never announced it as a game.
I know, I read the first post. I don't know what they were hoping will happen, not releasing a single project in 5 years is suicide unless you're an established studio with many patient fans.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Yes they had stuff to show, and they only had 19 fucking devs, no wonder it took five years.

Sony is cheap AF and they have no problem dumping people and stuff just like google and microsoft.

I never said that PSVR was dead, you made that up to create a fake argument.

To be fair, PC VR is doing fine with Oculus and HTC, it's mobile and console VR that's dying.
fake argument? Console VR is PSVR.

First, to address your earlier post, no PSVR is not the most successful headset, Samsung Gear is, at least in sales, profits is another discussion.
We talk here about headsets that considered as high-end VR. That means that they have support from a computer unit(ps4-pc). This definition is not mine.
Either way, you said that console and mobile VR are dying when they are the most successful VR out there, as you seem now to accept. PSVR and Samsung gear.

One thing a lot of you don't get is while PCVR was increasing and still selling less than PSVR, PSVR was still selling less and less, now with the help of Quest and to a lesser extent Valve Index, PCVR is currently ahead of PSVR in 2020.

this is way far from your ''hot take'' that console VR is dying.
it's more of wishful thinking because it does not keep having a flawless victory.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Not even close. Scalebound was shown at E3 and Gamescom. Where the hell did you get 7 years from?
Just because they showed it does not mean they didnt began development before.
Scalebound started prototyping after Bayonetta(2010).
As an example Flight Simulator began development in 2015 but was revealed in 2019.

demigod

Just because they showed it does not mean they didnt began development before.
Scalebound started prototyping after Bayonetta(2010).
As an example Flight Simulator began development in 2015 but was revealed in 2019.

I knew you would say that. Prototype is not the same thing as starting development. MS did not pay for the prototype. So no, your 7 year development is incorrect.

Bernkastel

I knew you would say that. Prototype is not the same thing as starting development. MS did not pay for the prototype. So no, your 7 year development is incorrect.
Both Hellblade 2 and Gears of War 4(before MS bought it, it was supposed to come to PS4) were in development before Microsoft bought Ninja Theory and Epic Games AAA team. You dont count development time only after Microsoft acquired them.

demigod

Both Hellblade 2 and Gears of War 4(before MS bought it, it was supposed to come to PS4) were in development before Microsoft bought Ninja Theory and Epic Games AAA team. You dont count development time only after Microsoft acquired them.

"When the development of The Wonderful 101 was almost finished, the idea for Scalebound was revised, and the game's development officially began in 2013."

Last edited:

Wonko_C

One VR studio that did not release a single game for all the years it was active was closed down, and people are spelling gloom and doom for all of VR. Guys, chill.

Last edited:

Romulus

No it's not. You are confusing yourself but adding LTD to current sales, LTD isn't "selling" it's the total number. You basically jsut said PSVR is currently selling more than PCVR, it's not, Oculus Quest ALONE has been outselling PSVR, add the other PCVR and the number grows even more.

As I said PCVR for awhile now has been on an uptrend, and PSVR has been on a down trend. To be fair the downtrend is more like a gradual decline which would be stable if PSVR dropped in price or had some more hyped up games coming out.

I wasn't talking about LTD in my response. You described recent sales of PSVR as dying, and I quoted Sony's 2019 number of 800k in 9 months. We're never seen PCVR numbers like that, even at its best.

Where are you getting your Quest numbers? You need to provide the source because I've never seen anything concrete. There was a number from Superdata at 400k, but as you described with PSVR, launch surges are a thing. Even still, 800k for PSVR in 9 months at its worst is no slouch. No big games, no big price drops, outdated tech, news of PSVR2, it's a miracle it's even stayed in it that well compared to a brand new standalone device that doesn't require a console to play it. And to me, this just proves the strength of console VR going forward if only a few of the boxes are checked, which none are at the moment.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I wasn't talking about LTD in my response. You described recent sales of PSVR as dying, and I quoted Sony's 2019 number of 800k in 9 months. We're never seen PCVR numbers like that, even at its best.

Where are you getting your Quest numbers? You need to provide the source because I've never seen anything concrete. There was a number from Superdata at 400k, but as you described with PSVR, launch surges are a thing. Even still, 800k for PSVR in 9 months is no slouch. No big games, no big price drops, outdated tech, news of PSVR2, it's a miracle it's even stayed in it that well compared to a brand new standalone device that doesn't require a console to play it. And to me, this just proves the strength on console VR if only a few of the boxes are checked, which none at the moment.
IIRC after launch boom PSVR has consistently sold around 800k every 8-10 months.

Bernkastel

Microsoft now has more British studios than Sony
Sony : SIE London Studio and Media Molecule
Microsoft : Playground Games, Ninja Theory and Rare
And Playground Games and Ninja Theory are opening their respective second studio.

This is proof that Sony is a money whore.

If the Manchester Studio was a first party Micro$oft studio, it wouldn't be closed down - even in a LONG TIME! LIKE A REAL LONG TIME ! WAY AFTER SONY HAS PS6 KITS! WAY AFTER DAVE CHAPPELLE HAD FOUR KIDS!

AV

If the Manchester Studio was a first party Micro$oft studio, it wouldn't be closed down - even in a LONG TIME! LIKE A REAL LONG TIME ! WAY AFTER SONY HAS PS6 KITS! WAY AFTER DAVE CHAPPELLE HAD FOUR KIDS!

Yeah Microsoft would never close game studios because they're aren't making any mon-

Oh yeah, businesses want to make money, I forgot about that.

Bernkastel

Nice bait, but Sony has closed more studios than Microsoft
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020)

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Contrail(closed in 2000)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Team Ico?
Closing a team inside a studio and redistributing the staff (that wanted to remain) to other teams is not a studio shutdown and it's something that has happened many times before in other studios.

Last edited:
Team Ico?
Closing a team inside a studio and redistributing the staff (that wanted to remain) to other teams is not a studio shutdown and it's something that has happened many times before in other studios.

Thats the definition of closing a studio. People get fired and if they fit into other roles within the company they might be redistributed into other teams. Doesn't mean that they will.

Ar¢tos

Thats the definition of closing a studio. People get fired and if they fit into other roles within the company they might be redistributed into other teams. Doesn't mean that they will.
Team inside a studio =/= whole studio
No matter how much you try to spin it.

mejin

Contrail(closed in 2000)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)

You can't close if you don't have it. Microsoft only started to grow this gen, you know...

Bernkastel

Team Ico?
There was no redistribution. The members of Team Ico formed genDESIGN.
Team Ico was a Japanese video game development studio led by game designer Fumito Ueda. It was part of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio's Product Development Department #1, and had developed the games Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both for the PlayStation 2. The team was also initially responsible for The Last Guardian before Ueda's departure in 2011 and the formation of a new company taking over development in 2014.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

You can't close if you don't have it. Microsoft only started to grow this gen, you know...
Are you high? They had studios since 1999. Atleast Microsoft spun off Bungie(fucking Don Matrick) instead of closing them.

Top Bottom