• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Wow, I am impressed with PS Now. Playing a PS3 game that I do not own on my PS TV. Sound is really low for some reason though...

There's not a list saying which vita games save to the cart and which to the memory card is there? Since at least for my retail stuff. Just swapping games between both systems would be nice.

I've never found one, but it'd be a pretty small list. From the many Vita games I own only Virtue's Last Reward, Dokuro, DJ Max Technika Tune, EDF 2017 Portable and Muramasa Rebirth save to cart. Rule of thumb, if the front of the Vita box has a memory card required icon on the front cover it saves to the memory card instead of the game cart.

Jawmuncher

I only know of Muramasa.

I've never found one, but it'd be a pretty small list. From the many Vita games I own only Virtue's Last Reward, Dokuro, DJ Max Technika Tune, EDF 2017 Portable and Muramasa Rebirth save to cart. Rule of thumb, if the front of the Vita box has a memory card required icon on the front cover it saves to the memory card instead of the game cart.

Ok thanks.
Looks like i'll be having to upload saves to the cloud then.

----------------

Anyone else having touch pad issues with the PS4 touch pad?
Noticed that it will only input once. While if I use the L3 my click will register every time.
Dunno if its a full thing or just related to Senran Kagura.

Impressions:

The unit definitely needs to be weighted down. It's even lighter than the Apple TV.

Yes, it's pretty much a Vita without controls or a display. Except much more heartbreaking when older Vita games, like Virtua Tennis 4 and the Metal Gear Solid HD collection don't work.

There definitely isn't any bi-linear filtering with PSP games. Unfortunate.

There's a minor bit of a learning curve going from the Vita to a Dual Shock 3.

Metal Gear Solid for PS1 does work, but it feels like there's a slight lag. I could be crazy, but it feels off.

Remote play: when I had the PS4 and PSTV in the same room wirelessly connected to the router, it worked rather well. Moving it away from this setup has definitely degraded this experience. Connecting the PS4 to Ethernet and connecting the PSTV to power line Ethernet hasn't helped much. Wireless repeater is much much worse. I'm going to research ways of improving this, though I have a feeling I'm boned.

I tested the PS4 streaming. If you are in the same room or one room away, there is little issue. However, any more distance than that causes issues. So perfect for an apartment.

Zoe

Remote play: when I had the PS4 and PSTV in the same room wirelessly connected to the router, it worked rather well. Moving it away from this setup has definitely degraded this experience. Connecting the PS4 to Ethernet and connecting the PSTV to power line Ethernet hasn't helped much. Wireless repeater is much much worse. I'm going to research ways of improving this, though I have a feeling I'm boned.

You need to turn off Direct Connect if you want them to both use a wired connection.

Ramma2

I've played alot of Diablo remote play with the Vita, and testing remote play with both the PS4 and the PTV on gigabit wired ethernet it is noticeably less responsive. A bit of a let down.

Took a screenshot of Strider.
OgEbUcPh.jpg

Looks so good on the PS TV.
Edit: Damn you autocorrect.

rav

hm, the latency was fairly high (for my tastes) to play Destiny. Felt like 100-250ms. I'm going through our corp internet that gets routed all over the place before hitting the net though. [not normal consumer use] I'm interested in trying it somewhere else nearby, and see how that is. Anyone else try this extensively?

I'm extremely excited to use it as my bedroom ps1 game machine though. I hope to work through my ps1 JRPG digital backlog. (starting with Chrono Cross)

Yeah, I feel like remote play was built for Japan because it only feels right in an apartment. Works for me since I live in one.

Table top racing and rogue legacy don't work even though they were listed as compatible.

Edit neither does crimsonland

Rogue Legacy worked for me. Have you updated to the latest version?

I did get a fluke where my Akiba's Trip cartridge said it was incompatible, I went and checked the PS Store and saw it listed under compatible games, and tried launching again and it worked. Weird.

rav

I did get a fluke where my Akiba's Trip cartridge said it was incompatible, I went and checked the PS Store and saw it listed under compatible games, and tried launching again and it worked. Weird.

When I put in the code I got for the Lego Movie from the bundle it told me it was incompatible too, but had an option to download anyways. It also downloaded a patch.

kvothe

The Observer Effect in... effect.

All you people with your tales of lag are bumming me out.

Jawmuncher

Tried a few things.
Vita to PTV and vice versa will still move stuff around.
Though oddly enough some of it stays the same while others do not.
Looks like there's something picky that it's picking up. Since only certain games are getting moved around. Don't care too much. But it's still rather annoying for those of us who have a lot of games and like organizing them a specific way.

Jawmuncher

You also can't connect the Vita to the PTV either.
Was probably already known but wanted to put it out there again.
Hope that's something that get's patched since it tries to connect. it would be a nice alternative to save transfers if you don't have your PC and PTV on the same network or don't have PS+.

Luigi87

So due to reasons I decided to try a PSOne game, and then a PSP game first.
"Well, yeah. This isn't bad. Pixelated as hell but that's to be expected."

Then I finally tried some Vita games (Atelier Totori+, P4G, and Senran Kagura, respectively), holy crap do they look good upscaled to 720p.
So excited for Freedom Wars at the end of the month.

Banned
I think I'll wait for Black Friday deals based on user experiences so far. I'd need a 32GB card and the unit itself. With taxes and all I'm looking close to $200 for a shitty upscaling vita box with missing features and apps and incompatible games.

This thing needs more time to bake and I got plenty of games to get through still.

Then I finally tried some Vita games (Atelier Totori+, P4G, and Senran Kagura, respectively), holy crap do they look good upscaled to 720p.
So excited for Freedom Wars at the end of the month.
Totally agree. Disgaea 4 looks real nice on the TV.
Edit: Click the Yellow ball to download a patch to make the game compatible. Sly Cooper is not out of the gate compatible.

kvothe

WOW

It pretty much blows that it recommends "wired" connection. Doesn't the Vita do remote play without wired connection? Who the hell wants wires from room to room?

When people are saying "wired" they don't mean a wire going directly from the PS4 to the PSTV. They mean connecting the PSTV to the Internet via a wired connection (Ethernet), which would hopefully make the connection to the PS4 faster.

Jawmuncher

Just did some testing with DOA5 Touch mode.
Yeah the touchpad is unresponsive on the DS4. You can move the finger around on screen and that's it. Not even swipes are registered. Makes me wonder how the hell you can play gravity rush on this thing. Since even when using L3 the swipes aren't used either unless i'm missing something.

Takao

Banned
Just did some testing with DOA5 Touch mode.
Yeah the touchpad is unresponsive on the DS4. You can move the finger around on screen and that's it. Not even swipes are registered. Makes me wonder how the hell you can play gravity rush on this thing. Since even when using L3 the swipes aren't used either unless i'm missing something.

You don't. GR isn't compatible with PSTV.

First hooked it up to the TV in the living room. Tried Senran Kagura on the 56 inch TV. Looked simply amazing! But it was destined for the bedroom, hooked it up there and was very impressed with the remote play. I hope they fix they Folder/Icon sorting when changing out Memory Cards.

Still hoping for somehow implementing multiple accounts so my wife and I can both use our accounts with our respective Vitas/Memory Cards.

She was impressed with the quality and even impressed at how nice Senran Kagura looked.

Very happy with my purchase!

flyover

So got a chance to hook it up...
+ Loaded up Persona 4 Golden... Looks really good in HD...
Yeah, I thought it looked pretty good, too. So excited to play it.

Only hiccup I had was that, early in the game, after entering my character name, I needed to hit the Start button to really get started. But with a DS4, I couldn't. The Options button didn't do the trick (even though the PS TV docs say it usually will). Maybe there's another way. Hope so!

Jawmuncher

You don't. GR isn't compatible with PSTV.

Figures. Thought I saw it on a list.
Though make me wonder how Killzone works then, since that uses swipes.
The patch for it must change the melee.

EDIT: Looked it up and for KZ they map the swipes to the analog.
So i'm guessing there's something not allowing swiping when using the emulated touch screen stuff.

Jawmuncher

If a game needed you to shake the vita, does the controller emulate that?
DS3 and DS4 have sixaxis so the basic functionality is there. But i'm guessing that's a no?

Going to have this hooked up to my 55in HDTV (at least for now, still unpacking stuff from moving so I might hook it up to the 32in I'll have in the bedroom) so remote play isn't a big thing, but looking forward to playing some JRPGs and stuff on it as my eyes tend to get blurry looking at the Vita's small screen for too long.

Yeah, I think remote play is only built for apartments and not like Vita where it is wifi focused. That being said, easily worth the 100 bucks. So content.

How does Persona 4 look? I read some where that it looks bad. I own every version of Persona 4 and there is no way Golden isn't the best version you can get on a TV right?
Great on 720p, crap on 1080i.
They should have not even include an interlace option because it makes games look bad.

Logash

Me too. I am going to love going home and being able to play HD games anywhere.
So far I tested...
Sly Cooper (patch required)
FFX HD
Muramasa
Danganronpa 1 and 2
Rayman Origins
Persona 4

Now we need more games patched Sony!

How does Persona 4 look? I read some where that it looks bad. I own every version of Persona 4 and there is no way Golden isn't the best version you can get on a TV right?

I wonder if these reports of worse PS4 latency between a Vita and the PSTV are due to extra latency being added by the wireless controller. I was trying out the PSP port of Parappa the Rapper, and it seems like there was extra lag, though I haven't played it in a while on handheld (my TV doesn't have much lag in game mode).

I was playing P4G today, looks great to me.

IconGrist

A bit disappointed in this thing. Bought it mainly for Remote Play and the lag makes most of my games unplayable but they work great on my Vita slim. Better to use WiFi thru router, maybe? My bedroom doesn't have an ethernet port and there's no way I'm running a long ass cord to the living room where the router is.

wicko

So Killzone maps fire and aim to R1/L1.. I don't suppose anyone saw an option to swap buried somewhere? I couldn't find one. Still a huge improvement over using an actual vita for this game.

So Killzone maps fire and aim to R1/L1.. I don't suppose anyone saw an option to swap buried somewhere? I couldn't find one. Still a huge improvement over using an actual vita for this game.
Nice to hear. I am going to pick it up since I was impressed by the demo.

Seth

I've played alot of Diablo remote play with the Vita, and testing remote play with both the PS4 and the PTV on gigabit wired ethernet it is noticeably less responsive. A bit of a let down.

is there a way to open your inventory when doing remote play with the vita tv?

Using PS3 controller.

kvothe

A bit disappointed in this thing. Bought it mainly for Remote Play and the lag makes most of my games unplayable but they work great on my Vita slim. Better to use WiFi thru router, maybe? My bedroom doesn't have an ethernet port and there's no way I'm running a long ass cord to the living room where the router is.

Have you looked into these? My roommate got them and they work very well for him.

PSP games are a huge step up from PSP TV output. I would rank it the same as PPSSPP for Ouya. Definitely SD though.
Edit: PSOne games do not look great. My first negative. Rayman 2 crashed and keeps repeating "Art of the World". I laughed...

Top Bottom