• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Visual Arts goes through layoffs from a "large pivot on [a] AAA game"

Draugoth

Gold Member

Speculation is that the game is the Horizon MP game by Deviationn

ud6Gs4m.jpeg

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It's been speculated on Era that this is in relation to the canceled Deviation project. He was working on a heavily stylized game with an external studio.

Ronin_7

Banned
Playstation Studios is a mess right now. Instead to do what they are great(sp games) they are embracing gaas with no expertise for that.
It's not 'messy', it's just the nature of developing GaaS.

The single player projects should be going well as usual and turn out bangers.

Bungie is helping SIE, that's the reason some projects will be killed or reassessed.

Fabieter

It's not 'messy', it's just the nature of developing GaaS.

The single player projects should be going well as usual and turn out bangers.

Bungie is helping SIE, that's the reason some projects will be killed or reassessed.

Do you think bungie is looking for quality control or just help with profitability and monetization of the projects?

feynoob

Banned
This is a reason why you dont put alot of eggs on live service games.
Unlike SP games, live service games are a gamble. You dont know if you can make it or not.
At least with SP games, you can salvage the game.

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah that's exactly it.

Naughty Dog didn't suffer layoffs because devs were transfered but the support studios are fucked.
How can you say something you actually don't know for certain with this much certainty?

Why do people do or feel the need to do this? I am gonna assume you were joking or that was sarcasm.

Playstation Studios is a mess right now. Instead to do what they are great(sp games) they are embracing gaas with no expertise for that.
This has nothing to do with anything being a mess. A mess would be to continue working on something that's not good or fun and releasing that thing anyways. Cutting your losses, and refocusing your resources is good business.

And unless you have been under a rock, Bungie is pretty much helping SIE with all their GAAS decisions. And very few have more experience in that field than them. And I don't know why people keep pushing this agenda that GAAS is taking away from their single-player games. I will only believe that when seeing a primarily single-player first-party studio leaving SP games behind and making only GAAS. As is, what we have seen is that they acquired some new studios, those studios seem to be the ones making live service games. The older teams are still making the single-player games they are known for.

Last edited:
The timeline in which sony is having serious trouble developing these Multiplayer Games seems more real than ever.

But also, lets add the pressure to make AAA single player games with insane Production Values.

the latest showcases by itself was bad. but in context paints a very uncertain future for Play Station. (regarding their game output)

they are not.

Some of these studios could have done some SP games.
12 live service games is alot of eggs in one basket.

I mean that's really assuming that they're all the same genre.

The reality is they're working on a wide variety of live service games, but the reality is that PlayStation doesn't need these all to come out at the same time. It's much better to delay these games or cancel them than to release trash.

Sony just need to make sure they balance out their overall output. That we don't really know of any big games scheduled to come out next year other than Wolverine is alarming. That Spider-Man is the only one this year is alarming. That Insomniac is not pushing the PS5 as we had hoped is alarming.

We expected spider-man 2 to be the first real next gen marvel, but it almost certainly started as a cross-gen title and the most we're getting out of it is a extra LOD and draw distance. When they decided to make this PS5 exclusive, and it certainly didn't start that way, they really needed to redo the textures and assets across the board. Worse is that it doesn't feel like a massive upgrade in animation either. Looks exactly like Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales with elements of Uncharted in there, but even with Miles Morales you had a similar helicopter chase scene.

feynoob

Banned
I mean that's really assuming that they're all the same genre.

The reality is they're working on a wide variety of live service games, but the reality is that PlayStation doesn't need these all to come out at the same time. It's much better to delay these games or cancel them than to release trash.

Sony just need to make sure they balance out their overall output. That we don't really know of any big games scheduled to come out next year other than Wolverine is alarming. That Spider-Man is the only one this year is alarming. That Insomniac is not pushing the PS5 as we had hoped is alarming.

We expected spider-man 2 to be the first real next gen marvel, but it almost certainly started as a cross-gen title and the most we're getting out of it is a extra LOD and draw distance. When they decided to make this PS5 exclusive, and it certainly didn't start that way, they really needed to redo the textures and assets across the board. Worse is that it doesn't feel like a massive upgrade in animation either. Looks exactly like Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales with elements of Uncharted in there, but even with Miles Morales you had a similar helicopter chase scene.
Spiderman 2 is a bigger game, unlike miles and ratchet. So it wont have that impressive graphic.

It took them longer to show the ps4 power. I doubt they can show the ps5 power with this little time.

Some of these studios could have done some SP games.
12 live service games is alot of eggs in one basket.
who knows what is the actual philosophy behind this approach.

is clear that Project Management is a key factor for the success of any project.

it seems sony is very aggressive trying to figure out this aspect of this kind of game development.

Spiderman 2 is a bigger game, unlike miles and ratchet. So it wont have that impressive graphic.

It took them longer to show the ps4 power. I doubt they can show the ps5 power with this little time.

The problem is the focus on 60 fps.

I think we desperately need PS5 Pro here.

Spider-Man 2 should have been 4K30 fps on PS5 (1080p60) and 4K60 fps on PS5 Pro, with a 30 fps option for even greater visual fidelity.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Spider-Man 2 should have been 4K30 fps on PS5 (1080p60) and 4K60 fps on PS5 Pro, with a 30 fps option for even greater visual fidelity.
You won’t see 4K 60 on consoles until the next generation.

feynoob

Banned

PS5 pro wont make the ps5 disappear.
Its time we accept that these stuff take time to implement. Its not going to happen immediately.

feynoob

Banned

is clear that Project Management is a key factor for the success of any project.

it seems sony is very aggressive trying to figure out this aspect of this kind of game development.
They are going to lose valuable time and give MS a fighting chance, if they dont get their act together.

2024-2025 MS will have its big SP games ready to ship.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Unlike SP games, live service games are a gamble. You dont know if you can make it or not.
At least with SP games, you can salvage the game.
This doesn't stop asshole publishers from fake committing to a bunch of people who leave their old jobs to come work on something that gets cancelled before given the chance to fail.

They bought Bungie, and they're letting Bungie evaluate and dictate the Live Service strategy.

It's clear A LOT of games were not cutting the mustard and Bungie/Sony decided that it was better to cull these efforts and focus resources on more promising endeavors rather than to continue pumping money into some of these efforts.

The Naughty Dog news is the most interesting since the game isn't canceled but the team has been shrunk. Presumably this means the game is close to being done, but needs more polish. That the game was delayed when a date was never announced suggests that they had hoped to drop it this year, but it's probably going to be next year at this point. That they didn't cancel it outright suggests that they're too far into it to cancel it. Druckmann said this was one of the most ambitious project they've ever worked on only for Bungie to come in and slap them down a few months later. I'm guessing it was supposed to get a summer release for PS5 and PC and will instead drop next spring/summer.

They are going to lose valuable time and give MS a fighting chance, if they dont get their act together.

Microsoft is never going to catch up with Sony this generation. Their studios and IP are too far behind.

🤣😂 "giving MS time" 🤣😂. MS is behind like 8 years in terms of Game Development pipeline/infrastructure/ philosophy/"processes"... whatever.

😆 . are you talking about the games that supposedly should have been out between 2021-2022?

This doesn't stop asshole publishers from fake committing to a bunch of people who leave their old jobs to come work on something that gets cancelled before given the chance to fail.

The reality is that game development is so project to project, that there isn't THAT much risk in joining a startup project. If it doesn't work out you can get a new job on a different project, especially if you have the resume. Studios are laying off on some projects and other studios are hiring on others.

Naughty Dog has 13% headcount growth in the last 6 months. That's tremendous. We don't know if they've had layoffs, or if the MP team just had people moved to a SP project, while the MP project gets polished.

feynoob

Banned
🤣😂 "giving MS time" 🤣😂. MS is behind like 8 years in terms of Game Development pipeline/infrastructure/ philosophy/"processes"... whatever.

😆 . are you talking about the games that supposedly should have been out between 2021-2022?
There is a saying that says "Never give your enemy time to recoup".

MS has been struggling with their studios. But now its different. with half of 2023, we are approaching the deadline for their big huge games, with starfield kicking the roadline for them.
Those games wont be in production line forever.
If Sony gives them that chance, Xbox might get a chance for the showdown game.
Who said anything about making it disappear? What are you talking about?
They need to utlize the current ps5 first.

Tightening belt, maximising profits with terrible gaas.
This industry is in a bad spot

Have we heard of any reductions in the realm of SP games? I don't think we have. I think it's a crucial difference to examine that most of these projects that have been sidelined have been live service games.

Also worth mentioning that Sony has a major profitability problem, which is why I told people earlier that I don't think the PS5 slim will retail for 400 even without the disc drive. That's significant revenue and operating income Sony would be eschewing for really what would be limited sales boost at this stage. I don't think there is anyone out there saying to themselves I'd get a PS5 digital for 400 if only it came with a disc drive attachment, but I'm not going to buy it now.

It would be perplexing for Sony to price it under 500.

They bought Bungie, and they're letting Bungie evaluate and dictate the Live Service strategy.

It's clear A LOT of games were not cutting the mustard and Bungie/Sony decided that it was better to cull these efforts and focus resources on more promising endeavors rather than to continue pumping money into some of these efforts.

The Naughty Dog news is the most interesting since the game isn't canceled but the team has been shrunk.

Presumably this means the game is close to being done, but needs more polish
oh...hell no. I dont think this is the case

. That the game was delayed when a date was never announced suggests that they had hoped to drop it this year, but it's probably going to be next year at this point.
nope.

That they didn't cancel it outright suggests that they're too far into it to cancel it.
sony has canceled projects to deep or far in development.

Druckmann said this was one of the most ambitious project they've ever worked on only for Bungie to come in and slap them down a few months later. I'm guessing it was supposed to get a summer release for PS5 and PC and will instead drop next spring/summer.
yeez.

this is the thing. Unless Factions is an "Apex Legends" they are not going to drop a game of that magnitude out of the blue.

the fact is....it hasn't actually being officially revealed. (it was acknowledged on stage because of the rumors and leaks).

People try to minimize the news surrounding ND/Factions....But they are fucking concerning.

I am just going to say that this game could be still 3 years away.

MS has been struggling with their studios. But now its different. with half of 2023, we are approaching the deadline for their big huge games, with starfield kicking the roadline for them.

They need to utlize the current ps5 first.
Pro is not an answer to anything. It will just move the goalpost

The reality is we're not going to see games that are tremendously better looking at existing framerates.

PS5 and XSX are just low-mid/mid range PCs. They can barely play previous-gen games at double the framerate.

You could double the tflops of PS5 and you're still not at a 3090, pretty much 50% there.

The 3090 doesn't make games look next gen and neither does the 4090.

oh...hell no. I dont think this is the case

nope.

sony has canceled projects to deep or far in development.

yeez.

this is the thing. Unless Factions is an "Apex Legends" they are not going to drop a game of that magnitude out of the blue.

the fact is....it hasn't actually being officially revealed. (it was acknowledged on stage because of the rumors and leaks).

People try to minimize the news surrounding ND/Factions....But they are fucking concerning.

I am just going to say that this game could be still 3 years away.

No one "delays" a game that is already a year out from release and never received a release date...

Sony isn't going to cancel a ND game that is anywhere close to being completed. The studio is far too expensive for that.

"enemy" lol is this Game of Thrones or what

sony is doing what a competent market leader should do.

MS has been struggling with their studios. But now its different.
but now? You mean at this very moment? as we speak?

let's wait until they have a consistent release schedule of AAA GOTYs gamers. to say

"now is different"

they have a lot to prove.

with half of 2023, we are approaching the deadline for their big huge games, with starfield kicking the roadline for them.
"we are approaching the deadline"

that deadline was long passed. we are in borrow time.

is called competition.

No one "delays" a game that is already a year out from release and never received a release date...

Sony isn't going to cancel a ND game that is anywhere close to being completed. The studio is far too expensive for that.
i think they are not going to cancel it because the potential is too damn high. So they are going to do whatever is possible to make that game great, thus why I think this game is not as close to release as you think it is.

i think they are not going to cancel it because the potential is too damn high. So they are going to do whatever is possible to make that game great, thus why I think this game is not as close to release as you think it is.

Again, why would you delay a game if it was already not releasing within 12 months... especially when its release date was never publicly announced. You know that doesn't make sense.

The only thing that makes sense is they were targeting a release of this year and Bungie said no dice. That reports suggest that the team was reduced but the game was not cancelled suggests that the game simply needs polish/retooling.

Speculation, but I think they were going to announce that this was going to release within 3-6 months at the showcase, but the review went poorly. I think announcing a delay suggests that it needs another 3-6 months of development. If it needed more than that, I think it'd be canceled, but what is possible is that it'll get even longer with a smaller team.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pro tip: don’t spend $3.2 billion on buying third party studios to make third party games when you can’t afford to keep devs from small 20 person studios like pixel opus, can’t afford to pay 100 person Japan studios, and support studios like this one that were crucial in supporting development of tlou2 and several other games shipped by Sony first party.

Pro tip: don’t spend $3.2 billion on buying third party studios to make third party games when you can’t afford to keep devs from small 20 person studios like pixel opus, can’t afford to pay 100 person Japan studios, and support studios like this one that were crucial in supporting development of tlou2 and several other games shipped by Sony first party.

What an amateurish take.

First, the operating income Bungie will provide by making multiplatform games is considerably higher than making games for PS5 only or even PS5 and PC only.

Second, it's not that Sony couldn't afford to keep pixelopus, it's rather than they aren't worth keeping open. Same with Japan Studio and same with a support studio.

It's all about ROI and it seems a lot of people here don't understand opportunity cost.

Would you rather spend 1,000 dollars on an endeavor that will make you 1,100 dollars in revenue or an endeavor that would make you 2,000 dollars?

Both endeavors cost 1,000 dollars.

Maybe do both right? Well that's 2,000 dollars in operating costs of which again, the first endeavor is only going to make you 100 dollars of profit.

Everything you do has an opportunity cost and different ROI. Sony needs to cut back on its costs because, despite its high revenue, its annual income is really small.

You really can only release so many games before you start eating into your own potential sales too.

feynoob

Banned
but now? You mean at this very moment? as we speak?

let's wait until they have a consistent release schedule of AAA GOTYs gamers. to say

"now is different"

they have a lot to prove.
So far, MS has revealed couple of big AAA games in the work, which were going to release in 2024-2025. You know it, so dont ignore it.

The reality is we're not going to see games that are tremendously better looking at existing framerates.

PS5 and XSX are just low-mid/mid range PCs. They can barely play previous-gen games at double the framerate.

You could double the tflops of PS5 and you're still not at a 3090, pretty much 50% there.

The 3090 doesn't make games look next gen and neither does the 4090.
They have to perfect the current devices first, before moving out to the new one. Otherwise you will end up with unutilized device.

Top Bottom