• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita hardware shipment LTD until March 2015

CHC

They really are idiots not to cater to Vita more. 10.5 million is a pretty goddamn decent audience, especially given how there really has never been a point where the Vita was pushed or advertised in any meaningful way.

They really are idiots not to cater to Vita more. 10.5 million is a pretty goddamn decent audience, especially given how there really has never been a point where the Vita was pushed or advertised in any meaningful way.

10.5 million users is horrible for a system that's been on the market for close to four years. To be fair, it's been dead outside of Japan for around three of those four years, so, in that sense, the number is somewhat impressive.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Playstation Vita total worldwide shipment data (sales) as December 2014:
9.76 million units

Source: 2015 CESA Games White Paper

ezwVurO.png

Those numbers are weird, i remember that according to various sites and declarations the PSP surpassed 80 millions long time ago and vita surpassed 10 millions long time ago too.

EDIT:
i made a little search and the 3ds should be at 54 millions, not 50, imo those data are very old.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

The question is...putting game X on a dying system with a 10 million user base or on your record breaking home console that will sell +100 million down the line. First Party Sony games sell quite bad to begin with on Handhelds...this coupled with the lower Vita userbase.

76.4M (rounded) is the last known official shipment from Sony.
However the final PSP LTD isn't known ...
Which can be anything between 76.4M and 82 million (at least it seems, the source for 82M is sketchy).

I don't get why they're using last known official figure for PSP and not Vita (not that we've had anything concrete since launch, really).

Either you estimate both or neither =/

Celine

I don't get why they're using last known official figure for PSP and not Vita (not that we've had anything concrete since launch, really).

Either you estimate both or neither =/
I don't understand what you are saying.

Those numbers are weird, i remember that according to various sites and declarations the PSP surpassed 80 millions long time ago and vita surpassed 10 millions long time ago too.

EDIT:
i made a little search and the 3ds should be at 54 millions, not 50, imo those data are very old.
Have you read the post you replied to?

I don't understand what you are saying.

We've had no official shipment data from Sony on Vita since... 2.2m just after launch? Yet this graph is showing 9.74m as of December 2014. Clearly they're either tracking or estimating it.

The final shipment data we got for PSP is 76.4m (I believe?), which is the number in the graph. No estimates/tracking beyond that, despite the fact it's likely higher.

I don't understand the distinction. Why use official numbers for one and unofficial for another?

Sorry if you still don't get it, don't know how to explain it better than that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So more than Wii U (to March 2015) but fewer units launch aligned? Holiday 2015 could push the Wii U over the Vita. It already almost certainly is in the Americas.

Celine

We've had no official shipment data from Sony on Vita since... 2.2m just after launch? Yet this graph is showing 9.74m as of December 2014. Clearly they're either tracking or estimating it.
No, CESA reports shipment data only.
That's why I bumped the thread.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Note the date of the graph - December 2014. 54 million 3DS is as of September 2015.

Ok, but for what i remember the psp surpassed 80 millions already before that date, in fact in the op:

"PSP LTD as march 2012: 76.3M *1

PSP final LTD as June 2014: roughly 82M *4"

Maybe the op is wrong but the new data seem to be in conflict with all the previous data i read in many sites, gaf included

Ok, but for what i remember the psp surpassed 80 millions already before that date, in fact in the op:

Maybe the op is wrong but the new data seem to be in conflict with all the previous data.

The PSP number in the OP has always been somewhat questionable, some of the replies earlier in the thread touch on that.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The PSP number in the OP has always been somewhat questionable, some of the replies earlier in the thread touch on that.
Ok but again op was not the only one saying similar things, if you search on internet every result says that the psp surpassed 80 millions long time ago, all wrong?

Ok but again op was not the only one saying similar things, if you search on internet every result says that the psp surpassed 80 millions long time ago, all wrong?

Just for the record, I think the PSP is probably well past 80m, I was just playing devil's advocate before :p

Celine

So where have they gotten 9.74m from?
I believe CESA (click the link if you don't know what it is) get every data from the manufacturer itself (I'm sure everything is shipment data because it's specified so in a past report I have read).
That's true for Sega consoles too for example, for which there is a scarcity of information online.

Celine

Maybe the op is wrong but the new data seem to be in conflict with all the previous data i read in many sites, gaf included
I failed to mention that only 3DS and Vita figures are specified to be updated as December 2014.

sörine;180341394 said:
Most people were assuming 11-12m by now. Wii U actually is going to end up outselling Vita.

Yeah I'd hope it would.

These numbers are bad, but if you look at the major drop in sales it seems like it happened around the time of the redesign. Which if you remember, was when it was almost impossible to find a vita on store shelves for the people who did want one.

I believe CESA (click the link if you don't know what it is) get every data from the manufacturer itself (I'm sure everything is shipment data because it's specified so in a past report I have read).
That's true for Sega consoles too for example, for which there is a scarcity of information online.

But in that case why isn't the PSP figure updated?

Dunan

I was in a used game shop yesterday and the big shelves for Sony stuff were arranged in this order:

3 shelves of PS4
4 shelves of Vita
1/2 shelf of PSP
7 1/2 shelves of PS3
1 shelf of PS2
1 shelf of PS1, but packed tight with no outward-facing boxes

Vita second in importance and with the second most shelf space.

By now, my fellow Vita lovers, you have already guessed that this is in Japan, not the West.

Let's not forget this:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/ps4-ps3-vita-100-million-sold-and-counting

A july 2014 sony ad saying that ps3+ps4+vita=100 millions that lead to an estimation of approximately 10 millions for vita.

So who is correct? OP or the estimates on the IGN article? I want to believe the estimates and that Vita is doing better. :(

I also wish Sony would do something more. Where was a Patapon collection? Hell make a PS4 and Vita release like most of the Japanese titles that are coming west. Further, I wouldnt mind some lower development budget titles from Sony. I know I know, vastly different economies of scale compared to a NIS, Vanillaware or Compile Heart/Idea Factory but still.

Additionally, why not use one of the ads in the PS4 What's New (or whatever that tab PS4 starts on is called) to advertise the Vita and some titles. Its a minimal effort to advertise to a captive audience and potentially increase sales.

PS3 LTD as June 2014: Slightly less than 84,80M
PS4 first 3 quarters (June 2014): 10,20M
Vita: ?? (more than 2.20M)

I think that the numbers in the article are sold to consumers since they referenced Sony's announcement of 7M PS4s sold to consumers.

sörine

Banned
76.4M (rounded) is the last known official shipment from Sony.
However the final PSP LTD isn't known ...
Which can be anything between 76.4M and 82 million (at least it seems, the source for 82M is sketchy).
Can't we get PSP ltd through Dec 2014 now that we have Vita's numbers through that?

CHC

10.5 million users is horrible for a system that's been on the market for close to four years. To be fair, it's been dead outside of Japan for around three of those four years, so, in that sense, the number is somewhat impressive.

The question is...putting game X on a dying system with a 10 million user base or on your record breaking home console that will sell +100 million down the line. First Party Sony games sell quite bad to begin with on Handhelds...this coupled with the lower Vita userbase.

I mean obviously it's too late now. I mostly meant that 10.5 million users isn't bad considering there has really never been much of an effort on Sony's part to push the system (except, arguably, at launch). At this point it's kind of a lost cause, but a 3DS-style steady growth rate could have been possible.

Celine

sörine;184324283 said:
Can't we get PSP ltd through Dec 2014 now that we have Vita's numbers through that?
We can have the final PSP LTD because Sony discontinued the system worldwide in June 2014 (or at latest December 2014 in Europe) (link).

PSP final LTD shipment is (rounded) 82.3 million units.

For the same reason (that is PSP was discontinued by December 2014) we know also Playstation Vita shipment as March 2015 (after that Sony changed the disclosure policy for their portable hardware cause Vita is dying and there isn't anymore PSP shipment to obfuscate the numbers).

Playstation Vita shipment as March 2015: 9.76+0.45 = 10.21 million units.

EDIT:
Updated OP.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Playstation Vita shipment as March 2015: 9.76+0.45 = 10.21 million units.

EDIT:
Updated OP.

More like:

Playstation Vita shipment as March 2015: 9.76 < 10.21 million units.

I know PSP is pretty death, but the 450k was PSP+PSV confirmed by Sony.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Finally we can dispute the myth spreaded by the vita fans that vita has sold 10 million units last year.

Celine

Got a clarification on Vita LTD from CESA:
"The figures for PlayStation vita (PlaystationTV included) were estimated by CESA".

Vita LTD in 2015 CESA Games White Paper were an estimate by CESA, NOT shipment data by Sony.
Please disregard what I said.

Sorry for the issue (first time CESA reported an estimate instead of shipment data in their White Paper).

I'm going to update OP.

Well, i see this thread and the title has "PSP+PSV"...
Maybe i'm wrong, but i always saw PSP+PSV, maybe PSP can be only 1 unit shipped, but it's PSP + PSV.
If you look the period of time analyzed in that image there are still quarters with PSP shipment (it isn't specific to Q4 instead it shows the whole fiscal year and the fiscal year before).

Top Bottom