• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita hardware shipment LTD until March 2015

Celine

EDIT 151108 (LAST UPDATE):
Got a clarification on Vita LTD from CESA:
"The figures for PlayStation Vita (PlaystationTV included) were estimated by CESA".

Vita LTD in 2015 CESA Games White Paper were an estimate by CESA, NOT shipment data by Sony.
Please disregard what is written in "EDIT 151106" below.

Sorry for the issue (first time CESA reported an estimate instead of shipment data in their White Paper).

EDIT 151106:
Playstation Vita total worldwide shipment data (sales) as December 2014:
9.76 million units

Source: 2015 CESA Games White Paper

ezwVurO.png

Graph isn't from 2015 CESA Games White Paper, data is.
Only 3DS and Vita are specified to be updated as December 2014.

We can have the final PSP LTD because Sony discontinued the system worldwide in June 2014 (or at latest December 2014 in Europe) (link).

PSP final LTD shipment is (rounded) 82.3 million units.

For the same reason (that is PSP was discontinued by December 2014) we know also Playstation Vita shipment as March 2015 (after that Sony changed the disclosure policy for their portable hardware cause Vita is dying and there isn't anymore PSP shipment to obfuscate the numbers).

Playstation Vita shipment as March 2015: 9.76+0.45 = 10.21 million units.

Below my old calculation based on a vague statement of PSP final LTD by IGN.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As most of us know Sony after Vita stuttering performances in the market decided to combine Vita shipment data with the the aging PSP therefore we don't know exactly how many Vita units Sony shipped.
I've just recently seen that the final LTD (rounded) was given to IGN (see link below) and since PSP shipment data is known (see Parmenides post below) I thought it would be interesting to calculate the "rough" Vita LTD until March 2015.

Vita FY ending 12/03 - 1.80M *2
PSP+Vita FY ending 13/03 - 7.00M *3
PSP+Vita FY ending 14/03 - 4.10M *3
PSP+Vita FY ending 15/03 - 3.30M *3

PSP LTD as march 2012: 76.3M *1

PSP final LTD as June 2014: roughly 82M *4

PSP Between April 2012 and June 2014: 5.7M roughly (82-76.3)
PSP+Vita Between April 2012 and June 2014: 7.00+4.10+0.75 = 11.85

Vita between October 2011 and March 2012: 1.80M
Vita between April 2012 and June 2014: roughly 6.15M
Vita between July 2014 and March 2015: 2.55M

Vita LTD until March 2015: roughly 10.5M[/B] (1.80+6.15+2.55) <- this calculation is based on the vague and not much reliable statement of "PSP final LTD = 82 million" (4*). Should be considered as indicative of a range. [/B]

1* http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37732751&postcount=1
2* http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-10-sony-earnings-call-reveals-worldwide-ps-vita-sales
3* http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/index_e.html
4* http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/vita-sales-are-picking-up-thanks-to-ps4-remote-play

If you notice any error please let me know.

By the why I found strange how Sony didn't give the shipment data for Vita Q1 this year yet they did it for PS4.
Was Vita quietly discontinued?

EDIT:
No wait

portable hardware unit sales is not longer available due to the change of disclosure policy.

Faustek

I did the numbers, somewhere here, last year and then we had 10m shipped then. I can't find it and way to lazy if I'm honest. So this seems weird.

Fake edit: it was from the earnings reports anyway.

Celine

I did the numbers, somewhere here, last year and then we had 10m shipped then. I can't find it and way to lazy if I'm honest. So this seems weird.

Fake edit: it was from the earnings reports anyway.
I must have missed your post/thread then.

The Vita's cult popularity has made it a lucrative machine for indie developers, and it's seeing stronger Japanese support than ever in 2016 as games are codeveloped for PS4. 2016 may be one of its last years, but I've said repeatedly, 2016 is going to be the Vita's best year in terms of software.

I wonder how this will (or won't) translate into sales. Obviously it could never amount to much, but if Sony isn't replacing the Vita, I'm sure it will remain available for some time still.

Faustek

This is bad... right?

Awesome machine though :-D

Always been bad.

Still fun games though :)

The Vita's cult popularity has made it a lucrative machine for indie developers, and it's seeing stronger Japanese support than ever in 2016 as games are codeveloped for PS4. 2016 may be one of its last years, but I've said repeatedly, 2016 is going to be the Vita's best year in terms of software.

I wonder how this will (or won't) translate into sales.

We have dreamcast releases even today. In 10+ years we'll have Vita releases :)

Celine

Are you sure? Could be some chartz numbers.
mmmm, I thought it was Sony Computer Entertainment America President that give the rounded number but I suppose we can't trust journalists :)

Can someone contact Colin Moriarty (the article author) and ask for a clarification?

Tizoc

sörine;180341394 said:
Most people were assuming 11-12m by now. Wii U actually is going to end up outselling Vita.

I don't think that's saying much far as the Wii U goes; didn't the GC outsell the Wii U by now?

Faustek

sörine;180341394 said:
Most people were assuming 11-12m by now. Wii U actually is going to end up outselling Vita.

I honestly hope so for Nintendo. I have no stake in this but seeing the great first party support Nintendo has thrown on the U it's kinda sad when it hasn't done better especially when comparing it to the Vita.

That's probably dead now though. Come on NX!

Didn't we get like a cumulative PlayStation shipment numbers around a year or a bit more ago.

I remember speculation back then that Vita shipments should be around 10 million.

Yeah we did but it was weird since EU+ROTW would have more shipped that Japan and US. Well US is already known to be lower than EU but the Japan part is weird so either emerging markets are "larger" than first believed or aliens.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
sörine;180341394 said:

By end of year Wii U should be at 12.5 million shipped. So yeah, Wii U should outsell PSVita by end of year.

sörine;180341394 said:
Is that surprising? Sony stopped giving any shit to Vita at the end of 2014 while Nintendo contined their support of Wii U till this year. Niche Japanese games or indies aren't going to move any units in the West.

JordanN

Banned
sörine;180341394 said:

Outsell in the short term or the long term?

Nintendo almost always drops all support for a console when a new one comes out. Vita on the other hand will likely still be manufactured for years to come.

Especialy if Sony doesn't bother with a successor, Vita can continue to live off niche Japanese games or receive ports from Nintendo's next handheld.

Tobor

Is that surprising? Sony stopped giving any shit to Vita at the end of 2014 while Nintendo contined their support of Wii U till this year. Niche Japanese games or indies aren't going to move any units in the West.

Nothing is going to move units in the west.

the vita (including the tv) is the worst selling dedicated gaming console of all 5 current ones

and we learned at gaf, that the xbox one (the second best selling) is even selling very poorly and is totally doomed.
what should we expect?

mmmm, I thought it was Sony Computer Entertainment America President that give the rounded number but I suppose we can't trust journalists :)

Can someone contact Colin Moriarty (the article author) and ask for a clarification?

I asked to Jim Ryan, SCEE CEO, the final LTD of the PSP at the last E3, and he refused to gave me the numbers.
It's possible than IGN was able to get the numbers from Sony, but since they don't specify that these numbers come directly from Sony, it's suspicious.

eFKac

Nintendo almost always drops all support for a console when a new one comes out. Vita on the other hand will likely still be manufactured for years to come.

Especialy if Sony doesn't bother with a successor, Vita can continue to live off niche Japanese games or receive ports from Nintendo's next handheld.

Who's going to stock it when it's barely selling already?

Availability of new systems is very limited in Poland for a year or so.
The big electronic retailers usually stock it only in limited quantities for Holidays.

sörine

Banned

Long term. If these numbers are legit then Vita won't outlast Wii U. Not with it's Japanese collapse and moving literally almost nothing in the US.

Gaspard

the vita (including the tv) is the worst selling dedicated gaming console of all 5 current ones

and we learned at gaf, that the xbox one (the second best selling) is even selling very poorly and is totally doomed.
what should we expect?

If you count the vita as a dedicated gaming console, that means the 3DS is in the lead. Thus making XB1 third.

Madao

last gen was something. the lowest selling platform did over 80 millions. many gens didn't even have the market leader that high.

Faustek

Doubtful. Sony seems content to let the system die off in the West at this point.

Most retailers don't stock the thing anymore.

That's another weird thing since even this year we've gotten a few bundles here in Europe. It's like US don't care if they can't make mad money but here in Europe they are content with making money, even if it's just nickels.

If you count the vita as a dedicated gaming console, that means the 3DS is in the lead. Thus making XB1 third.

im not talking about ltd sales
im talking about moving hardware and software right now

sales for cy 2014
sales for cy 2015 (not yet over, but everyone can see the picture)

That's another weird thing since even this year we've gotten a few bundles here in Europe. It's like US don't care if they can't make mad money but here in Europe they are content with making money, even if it's just nickels.

I think a great deal of it comes from retailers who don't want to stock the system. Why Should Target stock a platform that is almost entirely digital download based when they could use that shelf space to sell Amiibo, Disney, skylanders, etc figures?

sörine

Banned
im not talking about ltd sales
im talking about moving hardware and software right now

sales for cy 2014
sales for cy 2015 (not yet over, but everyone can see the picture)
Yeah, Wii U is still last ltd. It'll move ahead of Vita in the end, and PS4 should pass 3DS although One probably won't.

Faustek

I think a great deal of it comes from retailers who don't want to stock the system. Why Should Target stock a platform that is almost entirely digital download based when they could use that shelf space to sell Amiibo, Disney, skylanders, etc figures?

Not great deals I'm talking about but new bundles. But yes, u can see how retailers would feel that way and are right in practicing that. Money matters. And I honestly don't ever go to those retailers. Online only.

I'm not sure that 82M quote from IGN can be taken as reliable

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/vita-sales-are-picking-up-thanks-to-ps4-remote-play

Discussing an experience he had recently in Tokyo, in which he was given one of the last 30 PSPs ever manufactured as a present (there are 82 million PSPs in the wild), Layden suggested that because Vita hasn't followed PSP's "hockey stick" sales spike, many people assume it's in trouble. PSP, he said, was a "slow burn" over time that brought it to that number following its spike early on.

That could easily be Chartz numbers. If I wasn't at work and wasn't so lazy, I'd check what Chartz had for PSP numbers as of November 17th, 2014

ZhugeEX

Banned
When I did the calculations it came to anywhere between 11 million to 14 million units.

Also I wouldn't take the 82 million as a confirmed shipment number for PSP. The actual comment is mentioned off hand and not in any official form.

PSV as of Jun 30th 2012 - 2.2 million

PSP + PSV shipments from Jun 30th 2012 through March 2015 - 13 million

Therefore max theoretical PSV shipment is 15.2m. But of course PSP shipped units as well (despite being dead). We know Japan sales were 1m in this time period which leaves 14.2m.

We also know PSP got over 80 million. So anywhwew between 11 to 14 million would be reasonable as of today with the actual number likely to be on the lower side of the scale.

That's roughly the number of Sega Game Gears sold over that system's life time, and it was deemed profitable enough to have support from Sega for 7 full years (with an additional three from Majesco)... guess if you can't sell 100 million units you're not worth anyone's time anymore...

ZhugeEX

Banned
That's roughly the number of Sega Game Gears sold over that system's life time, and it was deemed profitable enough to have support from Sega for 7 full years (with an additional three from Majesco)... guess if you can't sell 100 million units you're not worth anyone's time anymore...

Different products, different time, different markets etc....

Back in the good old days HTC could ship 20 million units and be making a killing and be one of the top 5 manufacturers. Today they are in the red despite shipping that much.

Celine

Playstation Vita total worldwide shipment data (sales) as December 2014:
9.76 million units

Source: 2015 CESA Games White Paper

ezwVurO.png

*puts his WonderSwan fanboy hat on*

By far the best handheld ever created.

Note the graph isn't from 2015 CESA Games White Paper, the data is.

Ok thanks.

But why is the PSP LTD figures are different from the one in your OP? Which one are the true one?

Celine

Ok thanks.

But why is the PSP LTD figures are different from the one in your OP? Which one are the true one?
76.4M (rounded) is the last known official shipment from Sony.
However the final PSP LTD isn't known ...
Which can be anything between 76.4M and 82 million (at least it seems, the source for 82M is sketchy).

Top Bottom