• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

Galvanise_ said:
That is correct. I'd imagine that games that don't use 1.8/3.6GB will have a larger reserve for patching/DLC etc.
I believe the writable storage space on each Vita Game card will the same regardless of how much space a developer uses.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
TheExecutive said:
Your screen would have to be on the inside of the phone due to the back touchpad needing to be aligned with the front.
Yep.
Vital is designed as a dedicated device for video game enthusiasts, not a smartphone replacement. It's to games what Kindle is to E-books.

KAL2006

Banned
unrenowned said:
Day one when they make the Vita Phone.
Smartphone gaming has completely replaced handhelds for me the last few years.

I like the way you think, as a iPhone owner, if it had slide out buttons like Xperia Play, and deeper games like Uncharted and cartridge support, I would play games more often on it as I carry my smartphone everywhere.

But then I realised playing games on a phone is fun for 10 minutes like a game of Angry Birds, but I can't imagine the battery drain on my phone if I was playing a game like Uncharted, not only do I play games like that longer, but obviously a game like Uncharted would take more juice than a game like Angry Birds. I would hate my only phone to die because I wanted to play games on it. With a seperate game console, the battery may go in 4-8 hours but at least your phone battery is not dead.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lando Jones said:
Checkmate

Not really. Instead of dual-layered like a Go or Xperia, it's tri-layered with the front screen, a control panel that pulls from the middle, and then the back pad.

Definitely would be ugly as sin though. The Vita Phone isn't as logical as I first though. Makes me feel better about buying my Vita on day 1.

unrenowned said:
Fuck a Vita phone, give me a Vita tablet! A 10 inch lcd scteen, using Vita internals, buttons, sticks and touch pad. Just add more RAM for multitasking and Android.

It'd be the greatest Tablet ever and very affordable.

TheExecutive said:
Your screen would have to be on the inside of the phone due to the back touchpad needing to be aligned with the front.
No game we've seen would be unplayable if the back touch pad wasn't alined with the front. So a Go style Vita is possible.

Takao

Banned
googleplex said:
No game we've seen would be unplayable if the back touch pad wasn't alined with the front. So a Go style Vita is possible.

You won't be able to do things with Little Deviants. Certain moves require input from both front and back panels at the same time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Negaiido said:
Which straight guy has a bag? I mean other then the bag you're taking to college/university/work(stealth editing work).
I don't know how I would transport my Vita if I bought it.
When was carrying a bag defined by sexuality? Or what type of bag are you thinking about?

VanWinkle

MrBelmontvedere said:
yeah, I can't believe in this day and age with near ubiquitous internet access it wouldn't support patching, along with a bevy of the sort of features we've seen on PS3.

I'm almost certain there was a video interview that Yoshida did with Gamespot where he said there is storage set aside on every game cartridge for DLC and patches.

NateDrake

googleplex said:
Wrong. LBP has a portion that you use the back panel to move platforms forward so SackBoy can jump on them and you use the front screens to push them back.

Rubicon

Neo Member
unrenowned said:
Heh, we got you covered either way if you like our game.
<plug>Great Little War Game is out for iOS now</plug>,
but we've also got the Vita version finished already - just waiting for the unit to go on sale. :)

I can confirm that the machine is everything you'd like it to be - a really sweet bit of kit. And best of all, Sony are seriously pushing indies forward, so it's AppStore should start filling up in the same way the iOS one has.

Nintendo can learn a lot from their attitude.

Emitan

Rubicon said:
but we've also got the Vita version finished already - just waiting for the unit to go on sale. :)

I can confirm that the machine is everything you'd like it to be - a really sweet bit of kit. And best of all, Sony are seriously pushing indies forward, so it's AppStore should start filling up in the same way the iOS one has.

I'll totally double dip for the Vita verison :)
I wish someone would make an honest to goodness full on Advance Wars clone for it, though. Nothing scratches the same itch.

Takao

Banned
Billychu said:
I wish someone would make an honest to goodness full on Advance Wars clone for it, though. Nothing scratches the same itch.

Hope SOE brings back Field Commander?

neptunes

Rubicon said:

How were you able to secure Vita Dev Kits? so early, how much do they cost?

Is Ruin by the same developers as Untold Legends? Because I spent almost 100 hours playing that game back in 2005 and am ready for a proper sequel (Untold Legends 2 was total cack).

Takao

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
Is Ruin by the same developers as Untold Legends? Because I spent almost 100 hours playing that game back in 2005 and am ready for a proper sequel (Untold Legends 2 was total cack).

Ruin is by San Diego Studio, and the studio behind the PSN game Pain.

So, no.

Emitan

Leona Lewis said:
I really wanted to play those games before I had a PSP and never picked them up. Which one is better?

Rubicon

Neo Member
Billychu said:

I think you might like our sequel then. It's still not AW as we can't just blatantly rip someone elses game, but it plays closer to it than the current version. There's a very high likelihood that the sequel is actually what goes out on Vita - depends on how fast we finish it tbh. :)

Rubicon

Neo Member
neptunes said:
How were you able to secure Vita Dev Kits? so early, how much do they cost?
This goes to what I was saying about Sony having a good attitude towards Indies.

We showed them our game, they liked it loads and thought it a good fit for their machine, so they sent us four kits. Gratis. Just like that.

I know, never happened to me before either, but this has got to be good news for both devs and gamers. Unlike Nintendo, Sony now "get it".

Rubicon said:

Glad to read, will def be looking at your game on Vita :D

Rubicon said:
This goes to what I was saying about Sony having a good attitude towards Indies.

We showed them our game, they liked it loads and thought it a good fit for their machine, so they sent us four kits. Gratis. Just like that.

I know, never happened to me before either, but this has got to be good news for both devs and gamers. Unlike Nintendo, Sony now "get it".

Awesome! Sounds like Sony circa PS1.

Takao

Banned
Rubicon said:

They gave you guys a devkit for free? Whoa.

Gravijah said:
Errr... Pain wasn't that good, right?

I didn't like it, but I imagine someone has to given the insane amount of DLC there is for it.

Emitan

Rubicon said:
I think you might like our sequel then. It's still not AW as we can't just blatantly rip someone elses game, but it plays closer to it than the current version. There's a very high likelihood that the sequel is actually what goes out on Vita - depends on how fast we finish it tbh. :)
Yeah, I guess the whole "get sued so one guy can be happy" business strategy isn't as good as I thought.

test_account

XP-39C²
Gravijah said:
Errr... Pain wasn't that good, right?
I think that the game is good for what it is. A bit too much loading time though if i remember correctly. But Ruin is a completely different game though, so their previous work might not reflect too much on how Ruin will be.

Grinchy

Banned
get2sammyb said:
Shuhei's said this was on purpose. They know that you're going to take your smart-phone everywhere in your pocket with you, so Vita's not even trying to compete with that. It's something you might pop in your bag instead.

It's just that I do not always carry a bag. I do when I have class, so this would be feasible then, but I still don't like its size. I currently have a PSP Go that I slide in my pocket very easily. I love its portability. I just don't know if I have an interest in a big, bulky PSP that I have to think about. This is the reason I couldn't stand the 3000. Having my portable device thoughtlessly on me and ready to go is more of an ideal situation for me.

It's just that....the Vita looks so god damn good....

Gravijah

Whoa, Sony giving out free devkits? That is really good news.
test_account said:
I think that the game is good for what it is. A bit too much loading time though if i remember correctly. But Ruin is a completely different game though, so their previous work might not reflect too much on how Ruin will be.

Yeah, just gotta get my expectations in line. I'm pretty excited for Ruin.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Rubicon said:

That's a great attitude and a good thing to hear. But if I'm reading this right, it's going to be a PSN (Mini?) game and not part of the PS Suite program, right?

Edit: Downloading the Lite version to try it out.

Rubicon said:

Congrats! Looking forward to buying it at launch. Any idea as to what we should expect price wise for it?

Billychu said:
Is Ruin a launch title? Please don't tell me it is. My poor wallet.

You do know that games don't expire right? You can always just buy it later....

Rubicon

Neo Member
Jinfash said:
That's a great attitude and a good thing to hear. But if I'm reading this right, it's going to be a PSN (Mini?) game and not part of the PS Suite program, right?
It's actually still to be decided. Originally it was going to be a boxed product, but our publisher bailed through no fault of our own. We're still half heartedly looking for a replacement but we'll be ok if it goes as under a "lesser" scheme. Doubtless less total income, but a shitload less hassle also!

outunderthestars said:
Congrats! Looking forward to buying it at launch. Any idea as to what we should expect price wise for it?
Thanks! :) The price is still to be decided, but if it's not in a box we aim to present a pretty low price - we prefer as many people playing it as possible and try to charge accordingly.

Emitan

outunderthestars said:
You do know that games don't expire right? You can always just buy it later....
You do know the whole reason why I have a massive backlog is because I keep buying games when they come out right?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Rubicon said:
It's actually still to be decided. Originally it was going to be a boxed product, but our publisher bailed through no fault of our own. We're still half heartedly looking for a replacement but we'll be ok if it goes as under a "lesser" scheme. Doubtless less total income, but a shitload less hassle also!

Thanks! :) The price is still to be decided, but if it's not in a box we aim to present a pretty low price - we prefer as many people playing it as possible and try to charge accordingly.
Well, I wish you the best of luck. I liked what I've played so far and will be donating three dollars to your cause. Looking forward to the Vita release.

Rubicon

Neo Member
Jinfash said:
Well, I wish you the best of luck. I liked what I've played so far and will be donating three dollars to your cause. Looking forward to the Vita release.
Top man - thanks muchly. :) Hope you enjoy the rest of it...

Pimpbaa

googleplex said:
Fuck a Vita phone, give me a Vita tablet! A 10 inch lcd scteen, using Vita internals, buttons, sticks and touch pad. Just add more RAM for multitasking and Android.

I'd buy this.

Nix

Banned
Grinchy said:
It's just that I do not always carry a bag. I do when I have class, so this would be feasible then, but I still don't like its size. I currently have a PSP Go that I slide in my pocket very easily. I love its portability. I just don't know if I have an interest in a big, bulky PSP that I have to think about. This is the reason I couldn't stand the 3000. Having my portable device thoughtlessly on me and ready to go is more of an ideal situation for me.

It's just that....the Vita looks so god damn good....

Welcome to next generation portable gaming. There's the door mate, don't feel bad about it. Seriously, they're probably going to fix that with the next SKU, so wait tight or climb on the wagon now. Have you seen the PSP1000? Have you friggin' held the PSP1000!? Like night and day with the 3000, believe me. So it's probably going to get better, don't worry about it.

JWong

Banned
googleplex said:

You mean very expensive.

googleplex said:

How the hell would that even work?

theBishop

Banned
Billychu said:
I only have a PSP 1000. It doesn't bother me because my first gaming console was a Game Gear.

You should upgrade. The PSP 2000-on where noticeably lighter and thinner. Not a big difference between 2000 and 3000, but the old model is a tank by comparison.

Emitan

theBishop said:
You should upgrade. The PSP 2000-on where noticeably lighter and thinner. Not a big difference between 2000 and 3000, but the old model is a tank by comparison.
It's not worth it. I'd rather save money for the Vita instead of slightly upgrading my PSP.

theBishop said:

I am loving my old japan launch PSP-1000 with the strange square-button, don't have any problems with wight or something after 6 years of using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom