• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I never understood why people are using remote play?
It's not to dish on any of you, but I just done get it.

If the PS3 is in the same house, then why stream it to ones PS Vita?
If somebody else are using the one television in the household, then surely one can wait?

btkadams

If somebody else are using the one television in the household, then surely one can wait?
you can use remote play over the internet (sooo not just in the same house).

Kurdel

Banned
I never owned a PSP.

Will games like Peace Walker and Crisis Core be available day one via PSN? Is there a way to browse the PSN from a co puter, to check out the catalogue and prices?

Tried one of these the other day at my Uni. As I posted in the SS thread, Uncharted's got some serious issues with jaggies, and that's not just because of the screenshots "not doing the game justice." The aiming controls suffer as well due to the poor range of motion from the ministicks. It also made me realize that though this system is thin and light, there's a ton of girth there, so much so that it could be debated exactly how portable this thing is. But then I looked at games like LBP, Modnation, and another tennis game and saw this thing can be stunning in the right circumstances, a nice enough tradeoff for having such a large screen and system.

As much as people like to rant and rave about little deviants, it's pretty much tech gimmickery fodder, the same kind that everybody knocked on the Wii and Kinect for. It's very cool for showing off what the system is capable of, I'll give it that, and there's a LOT of it. Ultimately though it just seems like a shallow collection of minigames (unless you're into leaderboard battles and the like). That being said, the AR plane shooting game was exactly what I imagined way back when the DSi was first announced, and was very well done (as well as could be experienced with a woefully short tether :/ ) Other minigames were kind of flat. The boxing ring minigame required you to pinch the front and back screens in unison and release to aim at enemies. Unfortunately the aforementioned girth of the system made this rather awkward in addition to having to support the massive thing with my one other hand. There was also a short falling maze minigame which required navigation exclusively by tilt control. It was responsive once I got accustomed to it, but it was neither intuitive nor all that terribly engaging. IT could probably get fixed with better knowledge of the accelerometers used and tweaking of sensitivity, but as with a number of other motion controlled affairs I found myself grappling with the controls more than becoming better with them. Modnation was modnation on a smaller screen from what I saw. I wasn't a fan of the steering on PS3, though, and that showed again in this version. But if you liked previous entries I see nothing else wrong with it, perhaps a slight bit of hand-holding with a weird autocorrect when you go off a ramp at any angle and still end up facing forward.

LBP I think was a far better show of the I/O innovations than either LD or UC (for which was blatantly shoehorned in and utterly useless, I think the AR plane game's aiming mechanics would be much better suited and more worthwhile). The use of the front and back touchscreens in LBP was seamless and intuitive, although the touchscreen itself did have some slight issues in recognition. An onscreen piano was a nice diversion. But the peggle block section which required you to punch in and punch out blocks to jump on was a cool puzzle and one which definitely could not be done on any other system. All the while it was unobtrusive and the game was still all around fun. I could see myself playing LBP a hell of a lot more than any other game on the system atm.

Ultimately though I don't think I'll be getting one of these at launch. I already have an iPhone which does all the multimedia functions of the Vita 10x better and easier. There aren't enough launch titles to interest me. And the cost of the system plus the memory cards is just too prohibitive on top of all of that. I might feel a little differently if I had a working PSP back catalog (though even that is bunk with the stilted "BC").

Magnalon

Neo Member

For the most part I see what you mean, but personally I have a three story house, and I like to lay on my bed, relax, and play handhelds pretty often. I keep my consoles downstairs.

Additionally, I would run PSP-2000 remote play with TV-Out, which essentially allowed me to instantly transpose my media center (ran from my PS3) to any floor or TV in the house. If I wanted to lazily watch a movie from my downstairs media center upstairs, I could do it at any time.

Now, the Vita doesn't have TV-Out (stupidly), but hopefully you can see where that would be convenient.

I never owned a PSP.

Will games like Peace Walker and Crisis Core be available day one via PSN? Is there a way to browse the PSN from a co puter, to check out the catalogue and prices?

Availability is kinda random. Peace Walker is there. Crisis Core never has and likely never will be on PSN.

I never owned a PSP.

Peacewalker yes Crisis core no. (crisis core i believe is one of like 2 games not available on psn, the other big one is Kingdom hearts BBS).

EDIT:beaten badly

Magnalon

Neo Member
I never owned a PSP.

Crisis Core is not on the PSN - you have to play it on a PSP via UMD or not play it at all.

Peace Walker is on the PSN.

All you have to do is search the PSN on a PS3 or PSP, buy the PSP game digitally, and then when you get your Vita, log into your PSN account and download it. Note that Sony has gotten more strict on the device limit, so you can't have it on like 3 PSPs and a Vita.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure you can view most PSP PSN games on the Vita day one.

EDIT: beaten, but you get some extra info here :p

Peacewalker yes Crisis core no. (crisis core i believe is one of like 2 games not available on psn, the other big one is Kingdom hearts BBS)

And, sadly, my personal favorite: Mega Man Powered Up :-(

GAF, I'm still trying to decide between the WiFi Model & the 3G, I know the 3G Launch Bundle is good, but I could still just get a WiFi Model & 8GB Card for $280 instead, saving myself $20. I'm just not convinced that 3G would be very useful, when I already have a phone for multimedia functions. Of course, there's Vita functions like "Near", but I am really going to pay a $15/$30 a month fee just to get some free items in a game? And I highly doubt game developers will use the 3G functionality to give gamers using it a significant advantage or lockout essential features. Plus, I typically never really meet anyone that has handheld game systems and if I do it's a DS/3DS (which I'm also considering buying instead).

I personally decided to opt out of the 3G launch bundle, it just doesn't seem worth it for my wants/needs. The free game plus 8GB memory card sounded nice, but when I started diving into the terms, it isn't much of a deal for those who might have upgraded to the 3G only because of the bundle.

The first bundle "deal" is a free month of AT&T DataConnect. You have to sign up and pay for a month first before getting the free month during your second month of service, so that's at least $15 right there. If you decided to get the $30 3GB service, your free month is limited to 250MB anyway, so that's a huge loss.

The second bundle "deal" is a free game. You only get this if you sign up for a DataConnect plan, and you can only redeem the game 30 days after signing up.

What it all boils down to is that if you have no want or need for the 3G model, then you're not saving any money over just buying the wi-fi system, the 8GB memory card, and a game, since signing up for the required data plan for at least a month will cost you $315 overall. The only plus is that you now have a 3G model if you ever decided to keep the data plan or use it in the future. If you were wanting a 3G model anyway, then this bundle is fantastic and is saving you a lot of money.

Also, this is all assuming there is no limitation on what type of game you'll be able to choose. If they limit it to certain low-priced games or non-popular games, it becomes less of a deal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As much as people like to rant and rave about little deviants, it's pretty much tech gimmickery fodder, the same kind that everybody knocked on the Wii and Kinect for.
That's precisely what people have been saying all along. There haven't exactly been a lot of favorable impressions.

njean777

I personally decided to opt out of the 3G launch bundle, it just doesn't seem worth it for my wants/needs. The free game plus 8GB memory card sounded nice, but when I started diving into the terms, it isn't much of a deal for those who might have upgraded to the 3G only because of the bundle.

The first bundle "deal" is a free month of AT&T DataConnect. You have to sign up and pay for a month first before getting the free month during your second month of service, so that's at least $15 right there. If you decided to get the $30 3GB service, your free month is limited to 250MB anyway, so that's a huge loss.

The second bundle "deal" is a free game. You only get this if you sign up for a DataConnect plan, and you can only redeem the game 30 days after signing up.

What it all boils down to is that if you have no want or need for the 3G model, then you're not saving any money over just buying the wi-fi system, the 8GB memory card, and a game, since signing up for the required data plan for at least a month will cost you $315 overall. The only plus is that you now have a 3G model if you ever decided to keep the data plan or use it in the future. If you were wanting a 3G model anyway, then this bundle is fantastic and is saving you a lot of money.

Also, this is all assuming there is no limitation on what type of game you'll be able to choose. If they limit it to certain low-priced games or non-popular games, it becomes less of a deal.

I was on the same train of thought as you at first, but if in the future 3g becomes useful for some features then I will be covered if I just spend the extra $50 and get the 3g version now.

BadWolf

I was on the same train of thought as you at first, but if in the future 3g becomes useful for some features then I will be covered if I just spend the extra $50 and get the 3g version now.

Thats what I'm thinking as well, you never know what might happen in the next 5 years or whatever so better safe than sorry.

Mims

Well I thought I would actually get a wifi verison today. The BX had 4 of them sitting out. I get to the register and they said they couldn't sell it to me :(. This almost made my crappy week turn into the best ever.

UberTag

Local EB Games had 4GB/32GB memory cards in for sale today in addition to other Vita accessories.
I picked up the 32GB card and a cheap case on the off chance Amazon follows through with shipping systems out today.
Called another EB location and was told accessories were streetdated so this is clearly a case of inconsistent messaging between stores.

Salaadin

Thats what I'm thinking as well, you never know what might happen in the next 5 years or whatever so better safe than sorry.

If 3G is useful in 5 years, Id probably just cave in and get the newly released 4g Dual Screen Playstation Vita Go with UMD slot add on :p

I really hope the LBP Cart racer makes it to the vita. Maybe a dual pack in thing?
I wonder if Sony will show any upcoming Vita stuff at this Playstation event and let us know whats coming down the road.

Magnalon

Neo Member

There will be a new Vita before 5 years. It may have 4G. So you might be more sorry than safe :D

I would never knock on someone for wanting to wait on a handheld until the next iteration. Nor would I knock on someone for early adoption if they simply wanted to play the games.

But 3G is utterly useless. It's overpriced (just add wifi tethering to your phone for cheaper), you can't play games on it, and the caps are insane.

VanWinkle

Coming from someone who wasn't initially going to buy the 3G model (or even considered it), I am excited for it. The way I see it, I'm paying $25 extra for two months of 3G service, and the thought that if I wanted 3G in the future, I can have it. It just feels like, to me, it would be dumb not to do (unless you absolutely KNOW you'll never use 3G, which personally seems kind of premature).

btkadams

Coming from someone who wasn't initially going to buy the 3G model (or even considered it), I am excited for it. The way I see it, I'm paying $25 extra for two months of 3G service, and the thought that if I wanted 3G in the future, I can have it. It just feels like, to me, it would be dumb not to do (unless you absolutely KNOW you'll never use 3G, which personally seems kind of premature).

many of us have phones that the vita can tether to, so we won't be missing out ;)

Magnalon

Neo Member

What are you going to do on it? Download a mini? Tweet your high scores?

If you're interested in 3G capabilities, I'd suggest putting that $50 towards a new smartphone. I think a lot of people want the 3G model because it's the most pricey, but aren't aware of how limiting the 3G actually is. No online play is pretty killer IMO.

As it stands, wifi tethering is $10 for most phone plans, which is cheaper than the cheapest [250MB!] Vita plan. The caps are 4-6GB higher than the current Vita plans.

ACH1LL3US

If one was just going to use the memory card for game saves, what size should I get?

I will be buying the games physically:)

Magnalon

Neo Member
If one was just going to use the memory card for game saves, what size should I get?

I will be buying the games physically:)

This is just my personal opinion, but I think the measly extra $10 for the 8GB will benefit you in the long run.

We have no idea what games will require on-board memory for DLC (some will go on the game card), and you never know how big some system updates may be. Also, some demos I've seen are 1-2GB.

That's half your card, not including any saves. 4GB IMO is almost unusable unless you're strictly never going to connect your Vita to wifi whatsoever.

Incorrect, you'll still be missing out on GPS. And you'll have a phone with a flat battery ;)

99.9% of phones that can tether have GPS capabilities. They also have multiple GPS options, of which the Vita only has one.

Bumhead

Banned
Played the demo for Virtua Tennis 4. Not really interested in paying £30 to get the game at launch, but wow, visually it's absolutely stunning. A real showcase for what this thing can do.

It's one of a number of launch games I'll probably snap up once the prices sort themselves out in a couple of months.

Can't wait, checked it out in Best Buy and loved it. I have not been this excited for a hardware launch since the Dreamcast and PS2. Getting Vita WiFi, 8GB card, Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors, and Lumines (even though I thing the track list stinks lol)

VanWinkle

many of us have phones that the vita can tether to, so we won't be missing out ;)

Does Verizon offer that feature? I'd love to be able to do that with my phone.

What are you going to do on it? Download a mini? Tweet your high scores?

If you're interested in 3G capabilities, I'd suggest putting that $50 towards a new smartphone. I think a lot of people want the 3G model because it's the most pricey, but aren't aware of how limiting the 3G actually is. No online play is pretty killer IMO.

As it stands, wifi tethering is $10 for most phone plans, which is cheaper than the cheapest [250MB!] Vita plan. The caps are 4-6GB higher than the current Vita plans.

I have a smartphone. I never knew it could do tethering, though. But, I could watch Netflix (the Vita screen is way nicer than my phone's screen), take advantage of the Unit 13 challenges and 3G features, near looks interesting; things like that. Haven't really researched what 3G features games are offering.

btkadams

Incorrect, you'll still be missing out on GPS. And you'll have a phone with a flat battery ;)
how exactly would gps be used in a game? i'm quite certain it's just for the map/fb/twitter/etc. apps that everyone has on their smartphone. the wifi still has gps, it's just a shittier version through skyhook.

i have no idea! i'm in canada, sorry!

ACH1LL3US

Can't wait, checked it out in Best Buy and loved it. I have not been this excited for a hardware launch since the Dreamcast and PS2. Getting Vita WiFi, 8GB card, Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors, and Lumines (even though I thing the track list stinks lol)

I hate to say it.... and I was a real skeptic on this system and most others but I agree!

Last time I was this excited was the Dreamcast.

Magnalon

Neo Member

I have a smartphone. I never knew it could do tethering, though. But, I could watch Netflix (the Vita screen is way nicer than my phone's screen), take advantage of the Unit 13 challenges and 3G features, near looks interesting; things like that. Haven't really researched what 3G features games are offering.

Verizon does offer tethering. Call and ask them about how much it would cost on your plan. The benefit of doing this is it basically "tricks" the Vita into thinking it's wifi, so you don't get those BS 20MB limits the "official" Vita 3G is going to offer, among tons of other downsides. For example you could force it to play turn based games over the PSN.

That doesn't magically give your Vita GPS though.

No, but why would you want to use GPS on your Vita when most people have smartphones on them more than a gaming console? The benefit of using a GPS on your phone is that you always have it, and there are tons of "GPS smartphone" accessories/holders for your car that make it more convenient.

They may not even make one of those for the Vita. Otherwise, it's kind of bulky to hold while you're driving.

I just don't see paying a monthly fee if you're going to be using 3G primarily for a GPS. Why not just get a cheap $50 Garmin or something, that has no fees? Or better yet, pay nothing and use your phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom