• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

For those of you that don't know, EU Playstation Store has PSP sale going on right now - just grabbed the PSP GTA games + Beaterator ready for Vita

patsu

If they want to run ads "everywhere" post/at launch, they have to make sure the goods are there first. If all they are doing now is just fulfilling pre-orders, they may need more time to stock up.

Metalmarc

my first post and its probally gonna sound dumb

but i've recently heard that the battery is built into the vita

i travel a long distance a lot and i used to have 2 batteries for my psp 3000, it's actually put me off buying a vita altogether, is that just me being petty or does anyone else feel the same about that?

patsu

i travel a long distance a lot and i used to have 2 batteries for my psp 3000, it's actually put me off buying a vita altogether, is that just me being petty or does anyone else feel the same about that?

I think the manual teaches you how to open up Vita to replace the battery yourself.

Raine

I don't know if I'd call it petty. I mean, if you travel a lot and it can't sustain the battery long enough, I can see how that affects your decision in buying it. I certainly wouldn't base my decision off that alone. There are battery attachments that could increase the battery life if that would help sway you into getting one.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with what 3G is. It's basically 56k over the air.

The reason our smartphones load text and websites so well over 3G is because it downscales the site into a mobile version, which includes lower-res pictures and such.

You won't be able to game over 3G.

Unless you're talking about something like FourSquare, where you tweet/post your scores based on a GPS location, but would you really want to pay $50 upfront and $25 a month for something like that? Basically a telnet program from the 1980s?

I find it extremely funny that you're trying to educate us on 3G and you don't even know what you're talking about. The GPS is a chip. You're confusing car navigation GPS systems with just a simple GPS. GPS just talks to satellites to figure out your position. That does not need a 3G data plan. That does not mean maps. If a game wanted to use your exact position, you would not be able to do that without a 3G Vita. You can't use your phone's GPS to get the position and tell that to a game.

I don't think it's a big enough problem for most people, so there hasn't been a horrible out cry.

I think Sony's current solution is better than switching batteries. There is an accessory that's a battery extender. You plug it into the Vita and it supposedly adds 6~7 more hours to the battery life. That way you don't have to turn off the system or anything like that.

Edit: Beaten, and also not a dumb question. Definitely a valid concern and good way to ask. :)

I find it extremely funny that you're trying to educate us on 3G and you don't even know what you're talking about. The GPS is a chip. You're confusing car navigation GPS systems with just a simple GPS. GPS just talks to satellites to figure out your position. That does not need a 3G data plan. That does not mean maps. If a game wanted to use your exact position, you would not be able to do that without a 3G Vita. You can't use your phone's GPS to get the position and tell that to a game.

So, and I may have understood wrong, GPS will be able to be used on a 3G Vita without having a data plan?

patsu

I don't think anyone would have a screwdriver with them just to open up a Vita on an airplane or train.. :)

Ah I was just saying the Vita battery can be replaced by the user even though it's "built in".

His other question can be easily answered by buying a battery pack, or plug the thing into the airplane seat. Newer planes have power output now.

Paznos

Is there no way to get release day shipping on multiple items on one order on Amazon or do I have to order everything separately?

no_to_co

Is there no way to get release day shipping on multiple items on one order on Amazon or do I have to order everything separately?

Yes you can, as long as ALL the items are release day shipping qualified. Some items like Raymen Origins say that they are release shipping qualified, but once you put them in your cart that option wont be available.

I'm shocked that Amazon.ca still has this thing up as shipping at this point. I'm starting to wonder if it's an error or if they decided to just break street date. Someone would have noticed by now.

Paznos

Yes you can, as long as ALL the items are release day shipping qualified. Some items like Raymen Origins say that they are release shipping qualified, but once you put them in your cart that option wont be available.

Ah I see what I was doing wrong, none of the accessories I had in the cart were release day shipping, Thanks.

Jaroof

Just got Uncharted early from one of the local Gamestop stores.
Apparently, Sony gave the word to break the street date for any of the Vita games that they get, and can hand them out.
The Uncharted case is so.. empty!
It's just the game! No manual or anything!
Was it supposed to be like that? >_>

Just got Uncharted early from one of the local Gamestop stores.
Apparently, Sony gave the word to break the street date for any of the Vita games that they get, and can hand them out.
The Uncharted case is so.. empty!
It's just the game! No manual or anything!
Was it supposed to be like that? >_>

It is.

Jaroof

Huh. Weird.
Wonder why they didn't make a book?
Even one of those cheap 4-5 page books would've been better than nothing..
the case just looks so..naked on the inside.
Eh. Whatever. I got my first Vita game. I'm happy :D

Huh. Weird.
Wonder why they didn't make a book?
Even one of those cheap 4-5 page books would've been better than nothing..
the case just looks so..naked on the inside.
Eh. Whatever. I got my first Vita game. I'm happy :D

There are full manuals that can be accessed from the LiveScreen of the game.

Wazzim

Banned
Canada is a stupid country anyways, breaking street dates and shit while the rest of the world has to wait 2 weeks..

frequency

Now if only some local places would break street date on games and memory cards and stuff so I can actually do something with my early Vita.

Jeff-DSA

If Amazon did this on purpose, I think they need to refund a portion of the cost of the First Edition Bundle for those of us that ordered it and are not actually getting it, you know, FIRST.

The whole point of that bundle was to have it a week early, not a week after a bunch of other people got theirs.

It's not a big deal, but it is annoying knowing that you paid a little extra and it's more like an After Some Edition Bundle.

Now if only some local places would break street date on games and memory cards and stuff so I can actually do something with my early Vita.

You're in Canada. EB has been selling games since last Thursday. Accessories should be in today or tomorrow.

If Amazon did this on purpose, I think they need to refund a portion of the cost of the First Edition Bundle for those of us that ordered it and are not actually getting it, you know, FIRST.

The whole point of that bundle was to have it a week early, not a week after a bunch of other people got theirs.

It's not a big deal, but it is annoying knowing that you paid a little extra and it's more like an After Some Edition Bundle.

I agree.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yeah, it just points out how stupid the whole concept of the FEB is. They should have just released it on the 15th for everyone, cause it's getting worse for the early adopters.

Massa

Or maybe they'll just send an e-mail asking people not to open their packages before Feb 22.

UberTag

In case you missed it earlier, EB Games is selling games, memory cards and accessories at certain locations. I picked up a 32GB card and case earlier today. Plus, first-party games are already up on PSN.

Curious to see whether North American Vitas can access the Store directly and/or download PSP titles before the Valentine's Day update.

frequency

You're in Canada. EB has been selling games since last Thursday. Accessories should be in today or tomorrow.
In case you missed it earlier, EB Games is selling games, memory cards and accessories at certain locations. I picked up a 32GB card and case earlier today. Plus, first-party games are already up on PSN.

Curious to see whether North American Vitas can access the Store directly and/or download PSP titles before the Valentine's Day update.

Hmm. They weren't when I went to pick up SC5. I'll check again.

I really only plan on picking up BlazBlue.
I was going to get Hot Shots Golf too, but I don't want to pay $40 knowing about the $25 Best Buy thing a few months back. I thought MSRP was $30, but they raised it and now I'm sad.

I was going to get Hot Shots Golf too, but I don't want to pay $40 knowing about the $25 Best Buy thing a few months back. I thought MSRP was $30, but they raised it and now I'm sad.

Some locations are not putting them on the shelf while others are.

Also, if you grab a memory card you can just buy one of the Sony games on PSN.

Massa

At one point I thought I was paying $30 for Wipeout and HSG and $40 for Uncharted. Now I kind of don't want to buy any of these games for $10 more.

Stupid Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom