• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Also it would be interesting if Sony started selling game codes to retailers like amazon and others and have competitive prices for digital.

We first heard about the digital Vita prices from a Best Buy price listing so that sorta confirms that retail stores will sell digital games. No idea if these are just simple game codes or game cases that just contain a code (Like Patapon 2 did).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I didn't realize so many games were not compatible with the Vita. I'm really disappointed that Dracula X Chronicles isn't available. :( That was one of my most played games. No EXIT, no Killzone, no Thexder Neo, no Gradius Collection, no Megaman Powered Up, no Darius Burst (though that was never available in the US to begin with).

At least it appears Megaman X and Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins will work.

Of course, I'm still not sure how these games will look on the Vita screen. The upscaling artifacts may remove my interest in this feature anyways (plus I still have three PSP systems). Still, the fast refresh rate and great contrast of the OLED screen seems like it would be awesome for some of those games. I think 2D games would look especially nice.

Zoibie

Yeah, the EU store will obviously have a different list of compatible & non-compatible titles. The provided lists are only pertinent to the North American store.

I wouldn't be holding out hope for the Ac!d games. They've never been available digitally through PSN.

Folks that have tried this out on import Vitas say it's a no-go. Not sure if anyone has tried this out on a North American Vita just yet. Those may have better success.
Maybe they'll even see more titles on the Vita store and this is all just an issue of what's visible to import systems. Who can say?

This whole situation is really odd. Doesn't affect me much since I don't have many PSP DD titles, but for some people who have been pre-emptively buying PSP games to put on their Vita, this must be a little disheartening. I know I'm jumping into the middle of this discussion and I apologise if this has already been covered, but do we know why this is the case, and why Sony can't just flick a switch and allow all PSP games to be playable on Vita?

e_i

Glad I kept my PSP. I did buy a handful of PSP games off of PSN for the Vita...so I guess I'll have to wait and see if the games will be compatible or not. *sigh*

I guess the Vita using software emulation for PSP games?

Gustav

Banned
With the 'incompatible' PSP games, could you not just download it on PS3 and copy it over?

I have some official word on the "incompatible" PSP games issue.

I tweeted at Yoshida (Sony):
nCtnx.png

Dylan Cuthbert (Q-Games) got wind of this and responded:
lTgD4.png

To which Yoshida responded:
5hyQS.png

Update:

F28Gq.png

WlYQ1.png

JyHK6.png

Salaadin

This whole situation is really odd. Doesn't affect me much since I don't have many PSP DD titles, but for some people who have been pre-emptively buying PSP games to put on their Vita, this must be a little disheartening. I know I'm jumping into the middle of this discussion and I apologise if this has already been covered, but do we know why this is the case, and why Sony can't just flick a switch and allow all PSP games to be playable on Vita?

I think the idea floating around right now is that we only have a partial list and that more will be made available next week. Personally, I wont jump to any conclusions until the Vita officially launches.

nCtnx.png

lTgD4.png

5hyQS.png

In other words - "Don't get your panties in a twist right now. The fucking thing has launched in the US; we're still updating!" - Yosh

Kafel

Banned

nCtnx.png

lTgD4.png

5hyQS.png

Complain when the console is officialy out at last. Come on.

Hmm, I didn't realize so many games were not compatible with the Vita. I'm really disappointed that Dracula X Chronicles isn't available. :( That was one of my most played games. No EXIT, no Killzone, no Thexder Neo, no Gradius Collection, no Megaman Powered Up, no Darius Burst (though that was never available in the US to begin with).

At least it appears Megaman X and Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins will work.

Of course, I'm still not sure how these games will look on the Vita screen. The upscaling artifacts may remove my interest in this feature anyways (plus I still have three PSP systems). Still, the fast refresh rate and great contrast of the OLED screen seems like it would be awesome for some of those games. I think 2D games would look especially nice.

ugh

are you series?

>=(

Is there an official list of the incompatible titles out there?

There will be an (un)official list once the console has released. Any list right now will just be speculation as the Vita hasn't launched in the West yet.

The Japanese Vita has a few titles that are incompatible though. Not many.

Fou-Lu

Question to people who are lucky enough to have one already. How is the sound quality on the Vita through its own speakers and through headphones?

Saterium

Smells... plastic-y =p

I have to head to work in a few mins so no time for pictures. I'll try transfering peace walker from my PS3 to see what happens though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it does sound like we'll have to re-download after the vita launch which is a bit shit, can't imagine they're actually changing anything in the PSP files surely?

patsu

it has to just be a simple admin thing - the FEB isn't out for a week so they're probably just releasing them in blocks to spread the load on the publishing system or something. Maybe they need to go and get more bananas for the monkey?

Do they have to retest these localized + re-DRM'ed games on Vita ? Perhaps that's why they are still being loaded.

Zoibie

I think the idea floating around right now is that we only have a partial list and that more will be made available next week. Personally, I wont jump to any conclusions until the Vita officially launches.

If it's just pre-launch niggles then that's fine.

UberTag

I want to know if FF4 and Tetris (the mini) work on PSV, anyone know from the Japanese reports?
FF4 is already up on both the North American and Japanese stores. Should work fine.

I have to head to work in a few mins so no time for pictures. I'll try transfering peace walker from my PS3 to see what happens though
I blocked all of my days off for the next couple weeks. Wasn't anticipating getting the system today. Trying to make arrangements with work to come into the office late so I can mess around a bit with my Vita when it gets here.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is there any way to output what's happening on the Vita to a monitor or television while playing?

syoaran

go to setting >system>system restore

then it will ask if you want to format memory card, you don't need to format it at all. after a very quick restore, Vita restart itself and you have to enter language, date, wifi info and psn account. after that's done, the intro video will be played, can't be skipped so you have to let it run for a few minutes, then you go to your Vita main screen. any content on your memory card like games will be displayed, even games that are registered to different account is displayed, you just can't play them.

it's very simple and quick other than that unskippable intro video.

You sir, are awesome.

One that question: Any obstacles to registering a new Japanese PSN account and buying stuff off the store? I figure I will have to buy some PSN credit via a card as I imagine it will not take my credit card from the UK. But is there anything else I need to watch out for?

You sir, are awesome.

One that question: Any obstacles to registering a new Japanese PSN account and buying stuff off the store? I figure I will have to buy some PSN credit via a card as I imagine it will not take my credit card from the UK. But is there anything else I need to watch out for?

All games you buy on Japanese PSN are tied to your Japanese profile, I hope you understand that. So your trophies will be spread across all the regional accounts.

Jeff-DSA

I'm still in for the After Some Edition Bundle, but I think I'm going to buy a separate memory card and try and sell the 4GB for whatever I can get for it.

syoaran

All games you buy on Japanese PSN are tied to your Japanese profile, I hope you understand that. So your trophies will be spread across all the regional accounts.

I do, but trophies really don't matter that much to me. Playing games that are not available outside Japan matters a lot to me.

test_account

XP-39C²
it does sound like we'll have to re-download after the vita launch which is a bit shit, can't imagine they're actually changing anything in the PSP files surely?
Seeing that the HalfByteLoader exploit works on Vita in PSP mode, which requires you to buy a PSP game from the PS Store to be able to use the exploit, it wouldnt surprise me if they patched this somehow, which then requires people to redownload the games.

Where does it hint at that redownloading of PSP games on the Vita is needed by the way?

I do, but trophies really don't matter that much to me. Playing games that are not available outside Japan matters a lot to me.

In that case you are g2g. Just need to make Japanese account (plenty of guides on the Internet), and buy points card for Japanese PSS.

Saterium

Quick update, not sure if this was posted earlier...

Downloading Peace Walker to the PS3 and then transferring it to the PS Vita seems to work. It's copying right now. I'll post an update when its done copying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom