• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR 2 Could Come In Different Models; Gaze Tracking Can Change VR Experience.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking at Collision 2019 in Toronto, as reported by Venture Beat, PlayStation ‘s Dominic Mallinson hinted that there could be multiple PlayStation VR 2 models, with wireless connectivity being one of the differences.

I talked about wireless, for example. That’s one easy way to do it. Here’s a wired headset. You can take the wire and replace it with wireless. And then you can have a range. So you can have an introductory model and a high-end model. That’s something we’ve done with PlayStation 4. We could do that with PSVR.
Mallinson also talked about gaze tracking, and how it could be a game changer for VR. He, however, didn’t talk about implementation for future PlayStation VR models.

We’re already beginning to see this in some products on display at industry events. I think it has the greatest potential to change the VR user experience at a pretty fundamental level. I think it was Shakespeare who coined this phrase that ‘the eyes are a window to our souls’. I’ve been a little more prosaic by saying that ‘the eyes are a window to our thoughts’. I think everyone can intuitively understand just how rich human communication becomes when you have that eye contact.
So what do I mean by gaze tracking? I mean the technology to understand where you’re looking in this virtual world. What is your attention point? And then on top of that, we can then layer extra things. We can understand perhaps your attention by measuring pupil dilation. We can do biometrics to understand who you are looking at. … And we can measure your IPD (interpupillary distance) — the distance between your pupils. This is very important to VR because it allows us to accurately set up the optics and the rendering to give you maximum comfort, and to really get the correct sense of distance and scale in VR. So fundamentally, with this technology, we know what you’re looking at in VR. And this allows for countless user interface and user experience possibilities.

more here: https://venturebeat.com/2019/05/23/...less-gaze-tracking-foveated-rendering-and-ar/

Last edited:

Humdinger

The original article is a nice piece on the future of VR.

With re. to the different versions of PSVR 2, it seems pretty clear to me that he's just speaking off the cuff, speculatively, about possible options. He isn't really "hinting" at what the PS5 will offer.

It would be nice, though, to have two different versions, one wired and the other wireless. Maybe they'd release the wireless version a couple years later, an upgraded version, analogous to how the Pro upgrade came out a few years after the PS4...

Very Smort tbh.

PS5 - 2020
PSvr 2 - 2021
Ps5 slim 2022
PSVR2 - wireless 2023
PS5 Pro - 2024
Ps6 - 2025/2026

New kit every year, but it doesn't feel like new kit every year.

Rayderism

I bet I'd drive the gaze tracking nuts........being mostly blind in one eye, that eye tends to drift outward. Besides having no natural lens or iris in that eye, it focuses on nothing.

Humdinger

Very Smort tbh.

PS5 - 2020
PSvr 2 - 2021
Ps5 slim 2022
PSVR2 - wireless 2023
PS5 Pro - 2024
Ps6 - 2025/2026

I'm pretty sure PSVR 2.0 will launch alongside PS5 in 2020. I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements they've implemented.

MayauMiao

They must up the resolution. Tried my brother's VR and it was awesome experience but hindered by low resolution.

Techies

I'm starting to wonder if we'll reach that point where Oculus team's up with one of the console manufacturers.
Playstation simply does not have the John Carmack magic.

I'm starting to wonder if we'll reach that point where Oculus team's up with one of the console manufacturers.
Playstation simply does not have the John Carmack magic.

Most likely option for Oculus would be MS since they've got a fairly big investment in Facebook iirc. But it doesn't seem MS is too interested in the tech at this point in time, but maybe they'll surprise us soon.

Ar¢tos

I bet I'd drive the gaze tracking nuts........being mostly blind in one eye, that eye tends to drift outward. Besides having no natural lens or iris in that eye, it focuses on nothing.
Oh shit, I didn't think of how not having "normal" sight would affect the VR experience.
My case is not as bad, I lack peripheral vision on my right eye. I'm waiting for PSVR2 to try vr, but I have no idea how important peripheral vision is when using vr.

SScorpio

Very Smort tbh.

PS5 - 2020
PSvr 2 - 2021
Ps5 slim 2022
PSVR2 - wireless 2023
PS5 Pro - 2024
Ps6 - 2025/2026

Five/Six years between the PS5 and PS6? God, I hope not. I don't think I can put up with even more complaints by uninformed people complaining on the seven years it will be between the PS4 and PS5 if it's really a 2020 launch.

Five/Six years between the PS5 and PS6? God, I hope not. I don't think I can put up with even more complaints by uninformed people complaining on the seven years it will be between the PS4 and PS5 if it's really a 2020 launch.
The gen should be as long as the tech requires it to be. IMO the last gen dragged on 3 years too long.

Wonko_C

I'm pretty sure PSVR 2.0 will launch alongside PS5 in 2020. I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements they've implemented.

Don't count on that:

I think it's a good move, better not overwhelm the user with so many products at once, and it also means when PSVR2 is ready it will be more technologically advanced.

wondermega

If it launches with Astrobot 2, I'll be there day one.
Actually if they built a follow-up to Astro with current tech, that would STILL be day one for me! Point being that next-gen of VR is exciting, yet I feel there's plenty of mileage to still go with what we currently have..

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PSVR has been a success story relative to other VR hardware, selling over 4.2 million headsets so far, but the PlayStation 4's install base of 96.8 million dwarfs that. Mallinson admits PSVR "does need to evolve. It's not quite there yet as a mass market proposition." A key step could be making it easier and less cord-tangly. "We do want it to be lighter weight, and easier to put on, less cables, less mess."

But a wireless option could take the form of an add-on, instead of the default. "Wireless suffers from the issue of being expensive," Mallinson says. "If you don't care about cables, then it's a lot cheaper than to have a wireless system. But at the same time, having wireless just makes you so much more free."

No mainstream VR headsets use eye tracking yet, but eye tracking (or gaze tracking) is something that PlayStation's actively considering, and Mallinson considers crucial. "That's the one that excites me the most... I think there will come a point in time in the not too distant future when you cannot launch a VR headset without eye tracking." It could have practical benefits, too: eye tracking can help reduce graphics load to make games perform better via a technique called foveated rendering, which could help a game console perform more like a high-end PC. "It's a win-win in that respect," says Mallinson. "For me it's a pretty obvious technology."

Part of the current PSVR design was always about getting to the lowest price possible, which meant using existing PlayStation Move controllers and PS4 cameras instead of VR-specific controllers (while PlayStation VR games can also use the standard DualShock 4, he says Move has won out slightly with developers). "We knew if we went back into the R&D labs and we did something brand-new, we could have created something better than PlayStation Move, but it would have cost more," Mallinson says, but hints that a better solution is coming. "We do recognize that does need to be evolved, and in the future we will obviously replace it."

Mallinson seems satisfied with how PlayStation VR rolled out several years after the PlayStation 4 was on the market. The current PSVR will be PS5-compatible, which means a new headset isn't necessary right away. And that could mean Sony waits to debut a new headset for a while. "There's no reason for us to coincide it with a new console. From the point of view of the consumer, to be bombarded with many many things -- oh, you have to buy this, you have to buy that -- is a message that we don't want to send. In some ways, it's good to have a little breathing space between those things."

Oh shit, I didn't think of how not having "normal" sight would affect the VR experience.
My case is not as bad, I lack peripheral vision on my right eye. I'm waiting for PSVR2 to try vr, but I have no idea how important peripheral vision is when using vr.

I feel like it would be fairly easy to implement a way to disable one sides' tracking from a programming side of things. Whether they'll do it is another question

JSoup

Banned
So, I'm damn near blind in my left eye and figured that VR was going to be like 3D movies or those magic eye books: just something I can't do.
But I've found is how good or bad it is depends on the dev for any given game.
If there is anything I'd like from a version two, it's would for it to be smaller, weigh a hair less, as few wires as possible and maybe have more built in customization options.

Top Bottom