• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried Eve Valkyrie at Best Buy today and was not really impressed with the experience. I came on here awhile ago and asked what the appeal to VR was and everyone seemed stoked and excited about this and Oculus.

Am I really out of touch for feeling this way, because a part of me feels like I should be on the hype train to some degree, but I'm not. I'm more interested in The Last Guardian than I am with PSVR this season. So is it an age demographic issue, because I feel like if VR becomes a thing, that this version of VR will be the equivalent of the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation -- a transitional, but cutting edge period that hasn't aged as well as the NES, 16 bit, and PS2 and beyond period.

I don't think you should feel like you have to like anything, the tech is obviously in it's infancy so maybe it'll reach a point where it clicks for you or maybe it's just not your thing, I mean most of the planet doesn't even feel compelled to own a video game console.

sourc3d

Just a heads up for UK VR players,

Seems that www.quidco.com are offering 25% Cashback at http://www.cdkeys.com/ today, admittedly cashback isn't always guaranteed but this site is generally the cheapest for credit anyway so with a good chance of 25% back as well it's well worth it.

They also do the actual VR games cheaper than store prices as well

w0UzgSZ.png

Thanks for the heads up, quidco tracking stats seem solid here so ordered some VR specific game codes on there, but also some of the reduced £50 PSN credit top ups to use on other psn VR titles, and 12 months PS+.

Don't forget the 5% fb like code too.

zoukka

I tried Eve Valkyrie at Best Buy today and was not really impressed with the experience. I came on here awhile ago and asked what the appeal to VR was and everyone seemed stoked and excited about this and Oculus.

Am I really out of touch for feeling this way, because a part of me feels like I should be on the hype train to some degree, but I'm not. I'm more interested in The Last Guardian than I am with PSVR this season. So is it an age demographic issue, because I feel like if VR becomes a thing, that this version of VR will be the equivalent of the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation -- a transitional, but cutting edge period that hasn't aged as well as the NES, 16 bit, and PS2 and beyond period.

The demo for EVE did nothing to me. The game just didn't sell the premise to me, I didn't feel like I was flying a spaceship.

The greatest immersion so far has been in Rez Infinite and especially Area X.

It's interesting you make this comparison to older gens. For me the experience of playing the playroom demos has been what I've heard others say they felt when first playing Mario 64 back in the day: joy, wonder; the sense of something amazing and new happening right in front of you within your favourite hobby.

Oddly I never really got that "Holy shit" moment from that PS1, N64, Saturn gen. Unless maybe digging back to Sewer Shark on Sega CD. The advent of FMV in games shocked me at the time in a way that 3D never really did. I don't much like Mario 64, probably because I came to it rather late on in the 64's life. As a result 3D came to me as evolution rather than revolution.

This, on the other hand, is blowing me away... And on a slight tangent, those little robots, and the whole playroom, possess the solid, effortlessly charming qualities I usually associate with Nintendo's best.

Edit: To echo what others have said though, it's fine if it isn't for you, although I doubt it's an age thing. There are better demos than EVE. From limited personal experience I can highly recommend the Playroom, and (even the demo version of) VR Worlds, as magical places to start.

Having said that, I personally found the presence of EVE really tickled my Wing Commander / X-Wing bone. The demo seemed absurdly short, and so I couldn't get a feel for the gameplay itself. And graphically, I think the game makes the mistake of being too ambitious and therefore actually low quality. But being in the cockpit of a space fighter is a huge draw for me. I'll try CoD: Jackal Assault after the weekend.

Craft

Thanks for the heads up, quidco tracking stats seem solid here so ordered some VR specific game codes on there, but also some of the reduced £50 PSN credit top ups to use on other psn VR titles, and 12 months PS+.

Don't forget the 5% fb like code too.

No do forget the 5% code as otherwise it may not track:

http://www.quidco.com/cd-keys/?hwid...ng&wt=responsive-images&ti=CD Keys Promo&po=0
Cashback will not be paid in conjunction with any other offer, voucher or discount code unless listed on this page, or with any other discounts such as staff or student discounts

EV isn't something that's going to sell anyone on VR/PSVR - I got it for free and CBA playing it. The game does nothing for me, if anything has a poor sense of presence compared to pretty much anything else and is on nobody's VR wow moment lists.

You can't really say transitional tech phases age well or not as they're are each applicable to their time. VR is legit fucking next level. EVE isn't going to do anything for putting that case forwards. Try something half the price and ten times more thrilling or immersive - Batman or Eagle Flight.

I don't know. Batman VR doesn't seem as dense or vivid as any of Rocksteady's previous Arkham games. The idea of playing as Batman in the first person doesn't sound like it will give me as much of a bang for the buck as the previous games. Interesting at first, but I imagine it won't have much longevity, whereas I could see myself dusting off Arkham Asylum in five years.

It's interesting you make this comparison to older gens. For me the experience of playing the playroom demos has been what I've heard others say they felt when first playing Mario 64 back in the day: joy, wonder; the sense of something amazing and new happening right in front of you within your favourite hobby.

Oddly I never really got that "Holy shit" moment from that PS1, N64, Saturn gen. Unless maybe digging back to Sewer Shark on Sega CD. The advent of FMV in games shocked me at the time in a way that 3D never really did. I don't much like Mario 64, probably because I came to it rather late on in the 64's life. As a result 3D came to me as evolution rather than revolution.

This, on the other hand, is blowing me away... And on a slight tangent, those little robots, and the whole playroom, possess the solid, effortlessly charming qualities I usually associate with Nintendo's best.

Edit: To echo what others have said though, it's fine if it isn't for you, although I doubt it's an age thing. There are better demos than EVE. From limited personal experience I can highly recommend the Playroom, and even the demo version of VR Worlds, as magical places to start.

Having said that, I personally found the presence of EVE really tickled my Wing Commander / X-Wing bone. The demo seemed absurdly short, and so I couldn't get a feel for the gameplay itself. And graphically, I think the game makes the mistake of being too ambitious and therefore actually low quality. But being in the cockpit of a space fighter is a huge draw for me. I'll try CoD: Jackal Assault after the weekend.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm am intrigued on what VR offers, but given these recent turn of events, I think I'm going to be in full conservation mode for possibly the next 8 years. But I also tend to buy things, only to put them on the backburner. I actually have both an Xbox One and Wii U that I haven't opened yet because of these tendencies, and I can only imagine that I might do the same with a VR headset. I'd probably be more better buying a new flatscreen, because I think between that and PSVR, I'm more likely to use it immediately given that my current 32 incher is seemingly on its last legs. When my tv takes around 2 minutes for the picture to boot up, is it a sign that it's about to go bust? Sorry for being so non sequitury, but this kind of crept into my mind as I'm typing.:)

Are any of the current lineup as packed or in depth as some of the standard upcoming games like Last Guardian, or even Dead Rising 4 for that matter? I feel those games are going to have more polish and experience to them than any of the current and upcoming VR games on the pipeline, and at a much more lenient price. If you were a betting man, do you see PSVR becoming a standard feature for PS5 and beyond? Likewise for Microsoft as well. How will they merge immersive vr gameplay with a game like The Last of Us? Could they find the perfect spot of merging the two principles without having to compromise? I don't see how anyone would want to play as Joel's hands, even if there might be the initial novelty factor involved.

Before CD based 3D games became a reality in the 1990's, I assumed everything was going to be DOOM and its various clones. But today we have a wide palette of genres, spanning different kinds of perspectives. Everything with the PSVR seems like tech kits right now. I really wish I could be as amped up and blown away by VR as I am for The Last Guardian:-(. Now Last Guardian could end up being a turd, mind you, but from what I've been seeing, and what I know of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, I have a feeling that it has a serious shot at being the game of the year for alot of folks here.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The demo for EVE did nothing to me. The game just didn't sell the premise to me, I didn't feel like I was flying a spaceship.

I thought that Jackal Assault was much better for me in that regard.

somme

I thought that Jackal Assault was much better for me in that regard.

I didn't feel like either of them got across the feeling of flying in space. But then again, as I said last week, I've never actually been in space so I can't be sure what it's like.

Unless you're really close to other objects you never really get a sense of speed, which is something developers need to figure out how to convey.

Apt101

Loaded up Batman for the first time in ages tonight. Was doing the Bird Cage mission, and jumped out my skin when
Croc jumped out of the water

Are there more jump scares coming up? I fucking hate jump scares.

Mmm, maybe one but it's super tame in comparison.

Mendrox

I don't know. Batman VR doesn't seem as dense or vivid as any of Rocksteady's previous Arkham games. The idea of playing as Batman in the first person doesn't sound like it will give me as much of a bang for the buck as the previous games. Interesting at first, but I imagine it won't have much longevity, whereas I could see myself dusting off Arkham Asylum in five years.

????

EVE is shit in VR. Batman/RIGS/Tethered/Windlands etc. is where it is at. You literally played one of the worst VR games imo. Batman is legit. Try Batman and you will immediately edit your post. :p

Also please don't think about with the mindset of "bang for your buck". VR is a different experience and is not about that right now as you can see with different games having completely different prices. Something like Until Dawn costs about 15$ (5-6 hours +) where as other games are more expensive but don't have much more to offer.

I really really cannot take anyone seriously saying that VR is not the new "WOW FUCK NICE" moment like back then with the PS1/N64. That isn't supposed to be an insult, but I would like you to try the real VR games. :)

goonergaz

Seems that www.quidco.com are offering 25% Cashback at http://www.cdkeys.com/ today, admittedly cashback isn't always guaranteed but this site is generally the cheapest for credit anyway so with a good chance of 25% back as well it's well worth it.

w0UzgSZ.png

Cheers, was going to pick up tumble and batman so nice to save a few quid :)

Aske

Do we know for certain whether or not the Star Wars Battlefront VR add-on will require owning a copy of the base game? From the impressions so far I'm keen to play it, but I have no interest in the non-VR content. It sounds reasonably substantial, but if I have to buy the base game it'll have to be meatier than the tacked-on chunks of VR bonus content patched into non-VR games thus far.

Ozorov

Do we know for certain whether or not the Star Wars Battlefront VR add-on will require owning a copy of the base game? From the impressions so far I'm keen to play it, but I have no interest in the non-VR content. It sounds reasonably substantial, but if I have to buy the base game it'll have to be meatier than the tacked-on chunks of VR bonus content patched into non-VR games thus far.
Pretty sure its free if you own the base game but you can buy it seperatly

w0UzgSZ.png

Thanks! crap they have tesco direct on there.....more ps pro money off...

Edit: To echo what others have said though, it's fine if it isn't for you, although I doubt it's an age thing. There are better demos than EVE. From limited personal experience I can highly recommend the Playroom, and even the demo version of VR Worlds, as magical places to start.

D'ont forget now you have the camera can play the orginal playroom and its numerous free dlc additions. Well worth it, does for the DS4 what Playroom VR does for psvr

To those who have played windlands and eagle flight...which do you prefer?

I prefer Windlands, if you are good with that you should be able to handle most experiences and in my opinion is best on hard as the platforming element is more prominent. Eagle Flight is a bit too easy for my own tastes, I don't know if no motion sickness in any circumstance gives me an advantage especially in multiplayer because I haven't been taken out or lost a game and usually get to the top 2 on the main leaderboard on the first attempt but if you just want to faff about going fast and low on Eagle Flight it is fantastic. Its actually pretty amazing weaving around objects at high speed, much easier to pick up than Windlands but less intense.

Both games have their negative and positives. Windland the more you play it suffers from being an indie game, it really could do with more development in the story, lore, environments and a bit more refinement to the mechanics because once you start pushing it there are some weird quirks that can't always be replicated but as it is made by such a small team it is more than excusable, plus they have developed it over time and added to it and there is no other experience quite like it. Eagle Flight suffers from the inability to turn of comfort setting and visual cues that interfere with your vision, oh and being a Ubi game by numbers but the experience makes up for the latter and hopefully they will patch the former. Both games get better the more competent you get at the mechanics and are really only limited by what you are prepared to do and can handle.

If you are a person that likes experimenting, getting to grips with mechanics, mastering them then using these to explore in different ways, go faster, and you enjoy high intensity thrills then Windlands is the one. If you want something that is more scalable in terms of intensity that allows you to relax or go close to the edge that has a very accessible control system, enjoy a mix of racing, pilot wings style courses, collectathons, aerial combat, the idea of flight appeals to you and like the option to engage in leaderboards or multiplayer then it is something you must check out. Both are also very good to just mooch about in with a custom playlist.

Waveset

After a couple of days with Eagle Flight it's become one of my essential VR titles, I think they've done a great job with controls and implementation. It's simple but so satisfying to fly around the city, zooming through little gaps, skimming the water.

One thing I'd like to see Sony do is get the console to turn on when you turn the head set on.

MrBigBoy

Holy smokes! Rush of Blood is damn scary! Already in the intro I was having heart attacks...

Does it get more scary furter in the game?

So I upgraded to a Pro but now the breakout box doesn't turn off on its own (still has a solid white light several hours later). I recall reading about this before the Pro was even out - are there any solutions?

ZehDon

Holy smokes! Rush of Blood is damn scary! Already in the intro I was having heart attacks...

Yeah, it gets pretty wild. It's the only horror game that I've gone back to, that is as scary the second time as it is the first. Buckle up.

Loving the Pro so far, only tried VR Worlds so far but there is a nice improvement to the IQ and graphics.

The only problem is no HDR pass through on the processor unit. This needs addressing in some way really, as changing HDMI cables every time you want to play with HDR is really annoying.

Could really do with some kind of HDMI 2.0 switch box with 4k + HDR pass through, that would probably do the job or Sony really should just get a new VR processor unit out, while the install base is still pretty low.

ffvorax

Just a couple of jump scares during the game...

It's difficulty for me to judge this 'cause I was not scared at all...

I would love to replay Alien Isolation in VR... that was scary and would be awesome in VR :O

MrBigBoy

Nope, it sure doesn't

K8xkVl2.gif

Yeah, it gets pretty wild. It's the only horror game that I've gone back to, that is as scary the second time as it is the first. Buckle up.

Rush of Blood is truly frightening. I really want to go back but I chicken out just before I launch the game.

I would love to replay Alien Isolation in VR... that was scary and would be awesome in VR :O
Well I think I'm fucked then haha... :/

I tried playing AI in cinematic mode, but I kept naturally turning my head expecting my view to change, damn you VR!

I also find Rush of Blood almost unplayable scary! Every time you go into that dark tunnel at the start of the level I almost bail.

I get the serious willies from it, but I kinda love it. I was thinking about how developers could easily abuse the immersive nature of VR with horror. Like throw a giant screaming, bloody, clown in your face, suddenly, halfway through a Trackmania Race.

Soi-Fong

PS4 Pro really does improve the VR experience. Rigs is just gorgeous. There's a vast improvement in clarity and everything is just cleaner and more solid.

Soi-Fong

Guys RIGS on Pro is simply mind blowing.

Also, I'm not crazy right? Regular games in Cinema mode look way better now?

It's crazy.. 90% of aliasing is gone and I feel like it's rendering at a higher resolution. There's less of that Vaseline on filter look.

It's one of the best games I've seen inside VR among all the VR headsets.

Combine Rigs enhanced clarity and cleanliness along with PSVR's nonexistent SDE and what you get is one of the cleanest experiences in VR!

It's crazy.. 90% of aliasing is gone and I feel like it's rendering at a higher resolution. There's less of that Vaseline on filter look.

It's one of the best games I've seen inside VR among all the VR headsets.

Combine Rigs enhanced clarity and cleanliness along with PSVR's nonexistent SDE and what you get is one of the cleanest experiences in VR!

Im fairly certain the entire image is rendered at the same resolution now. On base ps4 the center of your view was very clear but the rest of it was muddy. Now the whole image looks clear and high res and it does WONDERS for the sense of immersion and presence. The modeling and the stage design stands out so much more.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm 9 levels into Tethered and I've gone back to get better scores and to do a little bit of trophy hunting. I can tell already that I'm going to be sad when I finish all the levels and get the platinum. I'm desperately going to need some DLC for this one, and I'm not much of a DLC-buyer.

I want to see some kind of Challenge Mode or something. Make the game a little harder on me, or make me build up a more diverse level in order to survive X number of nights or something. I've found that the spirit energy requirement has been far too low. It is good for getting the lowest time possible for the leaderboard, but I want to make use of all the cool stuff in the game.

mckmas8808

Banned
Didn't register until you said it, but this is incredibly true. As magical as it is to be surrounded by a fantasy world, it is appalling to be abandoned by one.

At least, as far as paying to be entertained is concerned. You can take it as a valuable invitation to meditate / be present, if you're hooked up that way. But slick design should start becoming a mandatory commodity as VR development progresses.

When you are abandoned like that, there is no meditation to focus on and you can't really look at anything else like your cell phone or dog or whatever without taking off the headset. It is really obnoxious.

I close my eyes and do small meditation. It helps to give the eyes and brain a rest. Even if it's only like 30 seconds.

JSR_Cube

I'm 9 levels into Tethered and I've gone back to get better scores and to do a little bit of trophy hunting. I can tell already that I'm going to be sad when I finish all the levels and get the platinum. I'm desperately going to need some DLC for this one, and I'm not much of a DLC-buyer.

I want to see some kind of Challenge Mode or something. Make the game a little harder on me, or make me build up a more diverse level in order to survive X number of nights or something. I've found that the spirit energy requirement has been far too low. It is good for getting the lowest time possible for the leaderboard, but I want to make use of all the cool stuff in the game.

Totally agree. I am sad that there isn't anything else to do but try and get a better score. Remix the levels, give me a monster rush, something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom