• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR owners, has the technology blown your mind?

Hasney

Yeah, its great. RIGS just blows my mind every time I go up the lift to the arena and has kind of ruined Overwatch for me right now, which is a shame. It just feels ho-hum when I could be inside a goddamn mech.

Raonak

Banned
Yes.

And it's consistently blown my mind every new game i play.
Every time i hop in vr, it's breathtaking, i have to spend half a minute looking around.

kyser73

Im glad people are digging psvr. In my limited time with it i thought it was pretty good for an intermediate product. It in no way eclipses its big Brothers though.

Those of you who like it would love the full roomscale experience and supersampled IQ of a Vive on a beast PC.

The future is bright and i hope Sony adds in roomscale somehow so the best of Vive can be played on psvr.

So you've gone from being concerned Sony will poison the VR well to grudging acceptance that it's a decent product.

OT - is mucked around with a DK2 a couple of times, but Rez, Thumper, Wayward Sky and especially Allumette have made me so absurdly happy to interact with their environments.

I'm also guilty of the 'reach out & try to touch' thing on numerous occasions :)

The beginning of batman makes me wonder what a full budget Hollywood film done in 3d with big name actors and motion capture would be like.
Imagine you know inception or something where you can move around to different viewpoints and watch all the scenes unfold. Or switch into the bodies of characters.

I think it might be one possible future of movies. Which are a somewhat solitary experience anyway.

Maybe they can do it.first with a pixar movie. As all the assets are there, tone down the rendering and put it into.VR let me watch Mr incredible from 100 ft up, battle the boss. Or sit next to Buddy in the robot and help him pull levers.

nynt9

I already had a Rift and I was blown away by how good PSVR was. The overall experience is a lot more comfortable and the headset quality is better (in terms of screen door, lens cleanliness, fit on the head, etc). Very good.

Ammogeddon

Yeah it's definitely blown my mind and my family's too.

It's pretty clear that the tech has a way to go yet but it's no way a limiting factor. If anything it makes me more excited for the future of gaming.

I've found this gen a bit of a disappointment to be honest, everything coming out just feels the same and an incremental improvement on what's come before. VR feels like the clock being reset to the early days of gaming and the future being stretched out before us.

I'll still buy conventional games but if the support keeps coming most of my gaming will probably be VR now.

It doesn't. It more than makes up for IQ with immersion.

Maybe for you who have already bought into VR. But that won't make VR successful long term. Try to think about it like someone who is a standard gamer and is entertained by the idea of VR but won't buy in for immersion factor alone. The games, the experience, IQ has to live up to the expectation of what people think with next gen. Alot of friends I know think it's a gimmick, I think it's coasting by fight now on hype and early gimmicky titles but it can truly be great. They aren't convinced and as John Carmack has said that will be the impression until they really get true VR games ready and not just stilted short experiences. Things like Fallout 4 VR will be a real proof of concept to me and I think will get naysayers to really sit up and take note. Provided its good or course.

I just want to know why isn't their a killer system seller game that was produced alongside the VR. Why didn't Sony do that for the PSVR?

me: yes

friends: who are over, yes.

its very impressive.

some games look a bit low rezzy but a lot look really great - Im getting a ps4pro anyhow so I expect games to look even better. really loving it. Thumper and Rez alone have validated the purchase. Best thing about the PSVR launch is that it has launched with a LOT of games. I have about 6 or 7 and it'll take me awhile to get through them.

* scroll through a few of the posts. I just wanted to add: My living room is tiny and won't be able to accomodate room scale so even if it had that technology in it, I won't be able to use it

eXistor

Not really. I've had ample time with VR by now and I've decided to skip it for the coming time. Playstation VR just isnlt good enough technically to me, the low resolution really detracts from th overall experience and most games I've played just aren't worth my time and money.

VR is fun and all, but most games where you actually control a character make me sick after about 10 minutes. I've never had motion sickness in games and I always thought it a bit strange that people do (not that I didn't believe them, it just seemed strange to me), but with VR I finally understand it. It sucks. I can see it working with point and click style games and I hope they'll make some cool ones for VR, but until a decent library is available and the tech gets better (and hopefully the price comes down a bit) I won't be having any of it. In fact I was a bit on the fence before I had some serious playtime with it and now I'm completely off it. I don't even want it.

AGRacing

The low resolution is an issue but not for every game.

Games like Arkham or Job simulator or anything where objects are fairly nearby (maybe within 10 or 20 virtual feet or within arms reach ) look really good. I find games like Driveclub where you're supposed to be staring straight ahead at distance objects to be the worst. Distance objects look fuzzy and your cockpit looks fairly sharp and wonderful - but the problem is you're usually supposed to be concentrating on those distance objects.

I think for some checking eye distance in settings is probably important. Mine was adjusted slightly.

I got a bit sick in any game with side to side strafing / drifting movement ( Driveclub, RIGS) but didn't get sick at all in Eve Valkyrie.

I'm excited to see what the Star Trek game looks like in December.

The low resolution is an issue but not for every game.

Games like Arkham or Job simulator or anything where objects are fairly nearby (maybe within 10 or 20 virtual feet or within arms reach ) look really good. I find games like Driveclub where you're supposed to be staring straight ahead at distance objects to be the worst. Distance objects look fuzzy and your cockpit looks fairly sharp and wonderful - but the problem is you're usually supposed to be concentrating on those distance objects.

I think for some checking eye distance in settings is probably important. Mine was adjusted slightly.

I got a bit sick in any game with side to side strafing / drifting movement ( Driveclub, RIGS) but didn't get sick at all in Eve Valkyrie.

I'm excited to see what the Star Trek game looks like in December.

I expect PS4pro to really help with the resolution. Some games look fine and its clear having to render at 90-120fps has impacted the sampling/AA

Not really. I've had ample time with VR by now and I've decided to skip it for the coming time. Playstation VR just isnlt good enough technically to me, the low resolution really detracts from th overall experience and most games I've played just aren't worth my time and money.

VR is fun and all, but most games where you actually control a character make me sick after about 10 minutes. I've never had motion sickness in games and I always thought it a bit strange that people do (not that I didn't believe them, it just seemed strange to me), but with VR I finally understand it. It sucks. I can see it working with point and click style games and I hope they'll make some cool ones for VR, but until a decent library is available and the tech gets better (and hopefully the price comes down a bit) I won't be having any of it. In fact I was a bit on the fence before I had some serious playtime with it and now I'm completely off it. I don't even want it.

you might not want to believe it, but a decent library is already available. There's plenty of choice.

Nags

Banned
Absolutely. PSVR has went above and beyond my expectations.
There is nothing like actually being in a 3D world. It truly adds so much. Playing Robot Rescue (VR Playroom Platformer) really felt like that first time I played Mario 64. Plus, the launch line up is super strong. Thumper, Rez, Batman, Eve, RIGS, Danger Ball, London Heist, Headmaster, Superhypercube and Tumble have been among my favorites.

Peltz

Maybe for you who have already bought into VR. But that won't make Bar successful long term. Try to think about it like someone who is a standard gamer and is entertained by the idea of VR but won't buy in for immersion factor alone. The games, the experience, IQ has to live up to the expectation of what people think with next gen. Alot of friends I know think it's a gimmick, I think it's coasting by fight now on hype and early gimmicky titles but it can truly be great. They aren't convinced and as John Carmack has said that will be the impression until they really get true VR games ready and not just stilted short experiences. Things like Fallout 4 VR will be a real proof of concept to me and I think will get naysayers to really sit up and take note. Provided its good or course.

I just want to know why isn't their a killer system seller game that was produced alongside the VR. Why didn't Sony do that for the PSVR?
Bro, have you tried it?

crimilde

Banned
It definitely has!
It was all a smooth setup, no motion sickness, no tracking issues.
Playing the Playroom Robots Rescue platformer was one of the most amazing experiences I've had. The Harmonix mini-game where you paint is brilliant and psychedelic. I almost fell off my couch playing Kitchen. It feels amazing.

I feel like breakthroughs in tech, moreso in our times, are very rare and this is one of them. I'm definitely excited to see how it will progress.

I've played the Oculus and PSVR yes. I don't own either but I've experienced them.

What have you played? This is important. Stuff like the Playroom platformer and London Heist really cemented VR in my head as a secure element (or at least it should be) in the future of gaming. If you simply played a shooting gallery or something passive like Ocean Decent, my impression would be more aligned with a mingle collection/novelty affair.

Lucario

Nah. Rigs and Thumper are a lot of fun, but the FOV and resolution are far too low to be immersive.

I'm looking forward to the first mainstream VR headset with 150+fov.

Elios83

And to think that Sony was hiding that it wasn't working on a standard PS4 and you needed a Pro :p

Btw it's nice to read the really positive impressions, personally I want to try it as soon as possible but I will consider to buy it only next year when there's a fully fledged software lineup. 400$ is a bit too much to risk an other Move/Kinect situation for me atm.

I think I just keep waiting for a fully realized experience.

Where is my Skyrim VR, or something like that. Messing around with move controllers in a short experience like Batman or Job Simulator sounds cool, but not really my speed. Games like Thumper and Rez are the one's im most interested in, for example.

That puts aside all of the drift and tracking issues, which seem fairly widespread.
I would say that devs should really hold off on the "fully realized" experiences until we come to grips with what gamers like and dislike about VR, how to communicate locomotion without causing much sickness, basically test the waters first.

Right now the experiences vary wildly and there's no telling what is a good method vs what is abysmal and we still don't have demos for every VR game.

Full experiences should hold off until we learn some new standards on how to treat the consumer in VR. I've seen some awful implementation of stuff in games like Here They Lie and I frankly am absolutely dumbfounded how some shit made it through the design phase into implementation.

Coming from a pc gamer who has an occulus rift it hasn't blown my mind but it has made vr more accessible to many people from a hardware and physical space point of view.

The interaction with the controls is probably what sets this apart from the others...the occulus and vive are not really set up as much as the ps vr when it comes to interaction ...although they are releasing controls which will probably be more accurate and have more features...as it stands now the psvr really does a great job....the ps vr worlds demo with the london job is probably the best example of what vr is capable of.....something as simple as lighting a cigar actually seems natural and you begin to suspend your disbelief.

Batman vr is another great title....looking in the mirror and having batman look back at you and to have it track you really does a great job of immersion.

The only thing that let the psvr down is
The ps camera (has issues tracking)....if it was a kinnect like setup you coukd have body skeleton tracking....if scorpio has vr then its game on but at the moment the camera is not smart enough for the tech....the games at the moment are not really affected but a higher res camera with the ability to track full body would be awesome.

Kilau

Playing air hockey felt like the real deal. When I went to set down the move controllers on a nonexistent table it was a wow moment for the immersion level.

Yes, my mind has been blown many times by PSVR.

Simo

Yes. Yes it has.

Batman VR is just fucking great but today trying out The London Heist and my mind is full of fuck. To put it in perspective the opening of that game has you sitting in a pub in London as some geezer comes to tell you somebody got whacked or whatever and details about the job, but sitting on the table in front of you is an ash tray with a unlit cigar and a lighter.

Obviously you're kind encouraged to pick up the stogie with one hand and light it with the other, so I do and I mess around holding the cigar to my mouth and audibly pretending I'm having a drag and....the game picks this up. I guess there's a mic or something but the game is picking me up pretending to smoke this thing so you hear and see the cigar burn down and if you "blow" out the smoke you actually do in the game. lol
The next scene is me diving behind a desk for cover as I'm shooting behind cover except I'm just jumping around the living room and ducking. At one point I did try and brace my other hand on the desk only obviously I just hit air since there was no real desk. lol

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I tried it out, and it was pretty neat, though I know what to expect from VR now.

I can't wait for the tracking technology and the controllers, specifically to improve. I feel like just a few changes such as slightly higher resolution, slightly wider field of view, and better controller ergonomics are going to go a LONG way. Basically what I'm saying is bring on version 2.

crimilde

Banned
I cant even wrap my head around what you just said ,
especially the thatre part.

So do you prefer to play non vr games this way?

It's like playing on a projector in a dark room or watching something on a cinema screen.

I prefer playing them on the PS4 because of the higher resolution.

Not really. Watching a lot of Oculus and Vive footage over the last year kind of preemptively burned a lot of my initial "ooh" factor, and the unpolished feeling stemming from the imprecise tracking and frequent hiccups kind of tempers everything. Plus, the precision and the "actually moving around a bit" factor of the Vive just kind of moved the goalposts for me with VR; not being able to at least turn around 360 in the PSVR is possibly its biggest limitation for me.

...still haven't played Area X in Rez, though.

Zalusithix

The interaction with the controls is probably what sets this apart from the others...the occulus and vive are not really set up as much as the ps vr when it comes to interaction ...although they are releasing controls which will probably be more accurate and have more features...as it stands now the psvr really does a great job....the ps vr worlds demo with the london job is probably the best example of what vr is capable of.....something as simple as lighting a cigar actually seems natural and you begin to suspend your disbelief.

Batman vr is another great title....looking in the mirror and having batman look back at you and to have it track you really does a great job of immersion.

The only thing that let the psvr down is
The ps camera (has issues tracking)....if it was a kinnect like setup you coukd have body skeleton tracking....if scorpio has vr then its game on but at the moment the camera is not smart enough for the tech....the games at the moment are not really affected but a higher res camera with the ability to track full body would be awesome.

Natural interaction with the virtual world is certainly important, and it's great that Sony has taken that to heart, but what he heck are you lumping the Vive in with the Rift for? Sure the Rift is stuck with untracked controllers until December, but the Vive has had them from the get go, and they're far superior to the Move. The Vive has defined what is possible with tracked controllers in VR for around half a year now. Anything demonstrated in PSVR with the Move has already been done on the Vive, and then some. This is not to shit on PSVR, as it's great that PSVR owners get to experience similar things to what Vive owners have, but it's just factually incorrect to go on like PSVR is blazing new ground here.

Also, kinect is neither accurate enough for tracking, nor low enough latency. Scorpio will not be using it for VR.

Yes it freaking did, I've never tried vr before. The first time I put my psvr headset on I couldn't stop laughing, I just couldn't believe what I was experiencing, to be inside another world/reality was finally happening. I felt like a kid being marveled at a new amazing discovery.
It's been almost a week and I still love it, I can't wait for new games and experiences in this medium.

Pretty much this, I'm pretty blown away. I had an idea of what this was like from the posts of people trying these things but this is my first VR headset so it's another thing to really experience it yourself and even after almost a full week of playing and trying things I'm still catching myself smiling at being "in the game world" fully looking around as a part of it while playing and interacting.

Batman was incredible as was London Heist and the Playroom Platformer, and the feeling of RIGS/EVE which I need practice with, and Wayward Sky completely won me over on 3rd person VR (I really hope we get more of this too), and like I said in the main thread finally playing the Rez demo surprised the hell out of me as even with all the "corridors" moving fast and rapidly changing directions I felt fine, and in the running guy level I remember sitting there and thinking "why is he still behind me?" "when is he going to come back up front?" like in a normal game, and then I turned my head completely around behind me and saw him and realized I could start locking on and shooting again lol, I had such a smile on my face. I'm looking forward to experiencing this Area X that's been getting a lot of praise.

I can't wait to check out my next adventure game, either The Assembly or Loading Human as soon as I have a bit of money back while waiting for Robinson.

Schneider

wouldn't say blown my mind, its impressive, but i'm still holding off to see how the pro can impact on resolution (performance hasn't been an issue) to make a full judgement, but it is worth getting if its possible + justifiable for an individual

What have you played? This is important. Stuff like the Playroom platformer and London Heist really cemented VR in my head as a secure element (or at least it should be) in the future of gaming. If you simply played a shooting gallery or something passive like Ocean Decent, my impression would be more aligned with a mingle collection/novelty affair.

Eve Valkyrie on consumer Oculus Rift and then some indie titles but on DKII's.

Psvr I got to try once earlier back at PAX then yesterday I tried a few games on the Demo disk and London Heist on a friend's system. The resolution is a bug hurdle for me. People keep saying how the screen door wasn't a factor and resolution and crispness was great. Was not my experience, we need to have 4k+, we just do. Tracking worked pretty well and I only had some minor hiccups. But there was nothing in there I was like yea I'd take this over playing something standard on my PC or even other indie titles. The games just aren't that special from what I tried. Games built around the controllers for the sake of showing off motion controls. That's not enough for me.

I would like to try Drive Club VR at some point with a force feedback wheel. But that's another barrier to entry and I'm worried about getting sick.

One thing I will say was that it was extremely comfortable. I'm hoping to get to play it a bit longer this weekend. I only got a chance to try it for about 20 min because we were just swinging by to pick him up.

PBY

Banned
Eve Valkyrie on consumer Oculus Rift and then some indie titles but on DKII's.

Psvr I got to try once earlier back at PAX then yesterday I tried a few games on the Demo disk and London Heist on a friend's system. The resolution is a bug hurdle for me. People keep saying how the screen door wasn't a factor and resolution and crispness was great. Was not my experience, we need to have 4k+, we just do. Tracking worked pretty well and I only had some minor hiccups. But there was nothing in there I was like yea I'd take this over playing something standard on my PC or even other indie titles. The games just aren't that special from what I tried. Games built around the controllers for the sake of showing off motion controls. That's not enough for me.

I would like to try Drive Club VR at some point with a force feedback wheel. But that's another barrier to entry and I'm worried about getting sick.

One thing I will say was that it was extremely comfortable.

I haven't tried it yet, but you pretty much went down the list of what's holding me back from buying one.

I haven't tried it yet, but you pretty much went down the list of what's holding me back from buying one.

I'm pretty pessimistic though. Same way I sold my 4k TV and I'm holding out. I've done a lot of research about the products and have a pre determined idea of where it should be for me to buy in. So I just want to point out you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. I realize that I didn't go in with an entirely open mind.

ghibli99

I'm pretty pessimistic though. Same way I sold my 4k TV and I'm holding out. I've done a lot of research about the products and have a pre determined idea of where it should be for me to buy in. So I just want to point out you should take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I have to ask, and I'm not trying to be patronizing, but is there any technology you are truly happy with, or are you always unhappy with current tech in the hopes that future tech will satisfy you?

Aceofspades

Banned
Started Playroom VR with very low expectations....

Me: yay...cool fireworks.. Looking around (click Robot rescue platforming level)

(level starts)

Me: o_O... Oh shit... Oh.. Shit.... Oh my fucking god shit... IM INSIDE THE LEVEL gasping hard!

That was seriously amazing moment for me.

I have to ask, and I'm not trying to be patronizing, but is there any technology you are truly happy with, or are you always unhappy with current tech in the hopes that future tech will satisfy you?

Oh definitely.

My monitor I absolutely love IPS 1440p with Freesync/144hz. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time for my gaming setup.

I loved the TV I had. Samsung JS9000, great VA panel with easily the best IQ I've seen outside OLED. I just know it didn't have the features I wanted yet so I decided to sell, grab the monitor above and wait.

I also had a Vizio P 50" 2015 series and loved the 120hz@1080 but the colors were washed out had limited range, it didn't have 4:4:4 chroma subsampling on either 1080 or 4k and no ability to do HDR.

I love my PC. I mean I do upgrade every few years to get maximum return on my investments as keeping them longer usually yields greater losses on value. But I'm extremely happy with it and didn't need to upgrade by any means. It's not maxed out specs or anything.

I enjoyed my PS4 for what it was, but of course as I stated before I like to get max return so I sold it prior to the pro announcement.

I'm disappointed with Gear VR on my Samsung S7 Edge. IQ is poor and there's not much there. But the phone is great outside of bloatware.

I mean do you mean all tech or did you have something in mind?

Maligna

Banned
would love to open my launch bundle but hearing about the tracking issues is really bumming me out

Mine has been pretty much perfect. It's worth the gamble.

I'd love the hard stats on how many are having issues versus how many aren't.

I think it depends on your expectations going in. I had pretty low expectations, and was totally impressed and have zero regrets so far. Note that I have had zero issues with it thus far.

Top Bottom