• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR owners, has the technology blown your mind?

JJShadow

As Christmas is getting closer, I'm thinking about treating myself to a nice present this year. After reading so many positive reactions here on GAF about the new Playstation VR, I've been getting more and more excited about it (I wasn't interested at all when it was announced)

The thing is that I still find it quite a big investment, including the VR system+camera+Move, and I'd only be willing to pay for it if the technology really is something extraordinary.

So Playstation VR owners, how's been your experience so far? Are you happy with your purchase? Has the technology blown your mind?

Stike

Never tried VR before. The answer is yes.

My only gripe is the low resolution, but the sense of immersion and presence makes you forget this after mere minutes.

Hardly blown my mind as I knew exactly what to expect, but I'm finding it a lot more fun than I expected and I'm definitely in for the long haul. Very excited to see how VR improves as generations go by.

As a Rift and PSVR owner I'm not sure it ever blew my mind but I am happy with what I have played.

It's worth it.

Peltz

Yes, it blew my mind the same way that running around the garden outside the castle in Super Mario 64 blew my mind 20 years ago.

Sethista

i got the bundle on saturday, and everything I played so far has been fantastic, even driveclub which left me wanting to lie down.

the plug and play aspct is incredible as well. it integrates everyone in with games more than one people can play, its very cool.

The one caveat is that they really need to keep offering new games constantly, since pretty much all the games are short experiences. But the lineup has been amazing so far, so at least for now I dont have fatigue on the games Im playing

Glix

Yes. It is my first VR experience and it is AMAZING.

It has made work brutal. I just sit here and want to be home messing with VR.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yes. I tried Cardboard before this and was like "whoa". Then I tried PSVR and was like "OMGGGWTFMELTINGGGG"

Even despite the flaws, it is still blowing my mind every new title I boot up.

lt519

The beginning of Batman VR was a ridiculously awesome feeling. Never felt anything like that in gaming. The game is an absolute showpiece on VR done right and is much more fleshed out then people give it credit for, it begs for multiple playthroughs.

Thought it might be a novelty, but there's a few games that prove it can really be amazing if the Devs support it.

Normally Destiny would have ripped me away from any other game when a HM Raid released but all I can think about is throwing the VR back on.

CyberChulo

I will say yes. Never played Rift or Vive but every video that I had seen of PSVR games before I would imagine how it would look like being enveloped in it's world. When I played Rush of Blood, it was pretty good cause it was meeting my expectations. But when the cart stopped moving and these clowns started appearing right in front of my eyes; they looked sooooo real in the space that I was occupying. It fucking crazy! Definitely justified my purchase of the unit.

CrazyHal

It's cool tech but i'm not all that impress honestly. VR will be the real deal when the visuals look crystal clear. Right now they look too pixelated and blurry.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
It's amazing. The graphics take a hit, but it all goes out the window when you start forgetting where you are in real life.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm a Vive owner since launch (Oculus Rift before that) so nah, pretty much used to it by now, but it's still awesome. Doesn't stop being awesome.

Sony just needs to fix worbbling or I'm getting rid of it. The tracking issues, no matter how great these games are, are unforgivable. But I'm giving them time to figure out a solution.

Overall, it's WAY better a launch than any other headset thanks to a couple software gems that have a higher budget polish and production value (Batman for instance) - it's also a joy to wear (unlike the skull crushing Vive, haha)

Using it has made me smile almost involuntarily many, many times. I haven't had that happen in a while.

It does, however, make me a little ehhhhhhhhhh which I'm hoping dissipates as I get more used to it.

My only gripe is the low resolution, but the sense of immersion and presence makes you forget this after mere minutes.

I was surprised by this. I stupidly pictured PS4-looking games in VR before I tried it, even though I was told differently.

This is more or less exactly what I was going to type. My first VR experiences have been awesome. RIGS,Thumper, and Rush of Blood stand out. Still need to pick up Rez and Batman.

kenta

Has no PEINS
No, it didn't, and as soon as I started having tracking issues that wouldn't go away I packed it back up and put it in the garage. Using it felt like death by a thousand paper cuts

Peltz

Believe it or not, I actually think TumbleVR is my favorite game for PSVR. It actually feels like you're stacking real blocks in a real room. I'm not sure how else to explain it, but placing a block in 3D space in VR just feels so precise in a way that cannot be felt on any normal screen (or even on a 3D display like the 3DS).

It gives me the same feeling I get when I'm playing Jenga in real life with my friends.

Mind absolutely blown. Lots of stuff really impressed me. It's an incredible feeling to just be in a place. Batman VR title screen alone is just the most impressive thing I think I'd ever seen in a game before.

Pejo

Yep, pretty much. I told my GF, I hadn't been this impressed or excited about videogames since I was a kid. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and the Playroom VR 3D platformer level were both instant moments of brilliance. I really can't wait to see what's to come with this tech. I really hope the good word of mouth gets out there and makes this thing super successful, we need developers going all in on VR.

FirewalkR

I had tried Rift devkit 1 before at an event, but PSVR (and, I assume, the PC headsets) is much superior. In terms of visuals it still looks a bit like there's a veil in front of our eyes that still has to be lifted, both in terms of resolution and peripheral vision, but it's nothing short of revolutionary. I've been playing RIGS almost exclusively and the immersion is phenomenal. Hurts a bit to play Destiny afterwards on the old-school flat 2D HDTV. :) I can't wait to see where the technology goes in the future, and not only for videogames.

tl;dr VR changes everything.

It's cool tech but i'm not all that impress honestly. VR will be the real deal when the visuals look crystal clear. Right now they look too pixelated and blurry.

I completely agree actually. It's amazing, but it's clearly in the very early stages. The clarity is pretty awful right now. We need much higher resolution displays.

takoyaki

The Rift DK1 with its low-res screen and basic tracking capabilities blew my mind in 2013.

If you've never experienced VR, the PSVR will probably blow you away OP. If you've tried something like Google Cardboard already, it might not have quite the same effect but still be very impressive. And the game lineup is already fantastic.

Z3M0G

Not an owner, but a want-to-be-owner after spending a full day with it at a buddy's place. I don't have 800cdn to drop on a bundle right now...

I've been thinking about it constantly since friday after spending that day with it. Initially I walked away glad I didn't own one due to how it left me feeling after some rough demos on it... but overall the tech blows my mind and I want one to mess around with, try different things in Cinema mode, and play the many many more demos / minigames that I didn't even get a chance to try yet... then pick one full price game to really sink my time into. Battlezone, I'm thinking.

I'm hoping for a nice boxing-day price drop. Would be crazy (worrisome) if there end up being crazy Black Friday sales...

Looks to me like it's almost time to dig up a few old naysaying "gimmick this gimmick that" VR threads. Not yet, not yet.

I haven't tried the PS VR but VR is amazing. It's all about the sense of space/depth for me.

VR is to gaming what smart phones are to computers.

It's amazing new tech and in no way a replacement for traditional gaming. Just a nice addition.

Wollan

The launch lineup is Very Good and really varied.

Already own Vive/Rift CV1/GearVR so I know very well what 1.generation VR entails and I'm really happy with how well the PSVR compares against its PC brethren while standing out in some fronts.

'Blowing my mind' comes down to new well-done VR software experiences and there's more than a handful that has filled me with glee from the currently available titles.

I wrote more detailed impressions in the launch thread.

edit: Also I filmed my buddy playing PSVR & Kitchen RE7 demo both for the first time lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXIao4irPQ

Josh378

Yes, and I don't use my TV screen anymore to play games...just plug in the PSVR (this includes Xbox one) and your set.

Mesoian

Looks to me like it's almost time to dig up a few old naysaying "gimmick this gimmick that" VR threads. Not yet, not yet.

I haven't tried the PS VR but VR is amazing. It's all about the sense of space/depth for me.

I mean, let's not get crazy here, we still need more convincing software. We have yet to get our Mario 64 of VR software. The Playstation VR offerings are great, significantly better than most things, but we're just not there yet.

dukie85

It's the coolest thing I've tried in years. Totally impressed with it. Resolution is the only problem I have with it. When my mom keeps wanting to try it, I know I've got a winner.

I mean, let's not get crazy here, we still need more convincing software. We have yet to get our Mario 64 of VR software. The Playstation VR offerings are great, significantly better than most things, but we're just not there yet.

Thus the not yet ;) And sorry, I get kinda crazy with VR, when I think about it I touch myself.

styl3s

I went in expecting a pretty low quality VR experience and still felt disappointed with how blurry it was and how not so great the tracking was and i switched it out 3 times at Best Buy thinking maybe it was on the headsets head but it wasn't. Maybe i was spoiled by Vive or maybe i am just used to higher quality visuals but it just wasn't for me.

Everyone of my friends and family who tried it loved it and a ton of people here and on the internet love it so i won't sit here and say it's a bad device it's not, it's just not for me. I think it's a ok low end, low cost entry device.

VR is to gaming what smart phones are to computers.

It's amazing new tech and in no way a replacement for traditional gaming. Just a nice addition.

If people are able to buy affordable 8k panel VR with small form factor headsets.I would maybe disagree with you because even games on screens would be way bigger and better. But we aren't there yet.

JordanN

Banned
The immersion factor blows away anything I've seen in games before. Even more so than the jump from 16-bit to 3D. It's not something that can be described in just words or visuals, because you get transported to another world similar to when you fall asleep and dream. Even in regular games, you wouldn't think it was fun to just pick up a random can of soda and throw it but in VR it is fun.

That said, I do recognize it's limits. I actually decided to take a break from it because I felt my neck was going stiff from using it too much. I do wish for the technology to get much more lightweight some day so the comfort level wont matter after extended use.

KennyL

Some stuff did wow me but that feeling is already fading less than a week of playing. Tracking issue (constant wobbling) and motion sickness really ruining it for me. Wish there is definitive way to test if my hardware defective or not. Saving rez area x for last to go out on good note.

PBY

Banned
I think I just keep waiting for a fully realized experience.

Where is my Skyrim VR, or something like that. Messing around with move controllers in a short experience like Batman or Job Simulator sounds cool, but not really my speed. Games like Thumper and Rez are the one's im most interested in, for example.

That puts aside all of the drift and tracking issues, which seem fairly widespread.

Mind blown.
My first VR experience.
I am in awe whenever I'm in there.
I want the honeymoon to last so I've taken a night off here and there.
I don't want to play 2D games. But I will soon with BF1 on the Pro. =D

Mesoian

Where is my Skyrim VR, or something like that. Messing around with move controllers in a short experience like Batman or Job Simulator sounds cool, but not really my speed. Games like Thumper and Rez are the one's im most interested in, for example.

That puts aside all of the drift and tracking issues, which seem fairly widespread.

There's always fallout 4 VR.

Haha, no that's never happening.

There is a skyrim VR mod for PC that I don't believe uses external assets. Perhaps that could be built in a PSPro if it ends up being able to do native 4k after all.

Yes. It was my first true vr experience, I was the literal fucking batman! Please if you own the hardware pick that game up and use two move controllers.

Fisty

Yep it's a gamechanger, and the best part is that as awesome as it is now, VR is only in its infancy. It's going to get exponentially better within 5 years, and in 10 years I think AAA VR games will rival or outnumber traditional game experiences

Nope.

My main takeaway is how pixelated and low-res it looks. The tech has quite a way to go, but in theory it could be a game changer.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I have tried all current VR units but never owned one myself, picked up a PSVR launch bundle.

YES

the PSVR blew my mind. I am all in, this is my future with gaming.

It's really amazing...but it's low res and that sucks...not everyone will adjust maybe? I dunno, that's my only gripe that I'm hoping pro helps out with.

i can tell you are talking from impressions and not from real world experience. VR is something you need to sit down with yourself.

Some people have no tracking issues. Some games like thumper hardly rely on tracking at all, and are just crazy immersive.

I think the best advice is "try it" that's the only way you'll know if it's for you.

I think overtime developers will learn to get around some of the low resolution issues. I think a lot of it is about contrast and art-style. Once again I don't have a PS VR so I don't know how much worse it is, but it's also a problem on the Rift. Some games look way better than others in that regard, so it is possible to mitigate.

Edit: Chronos on the Rift, for example, looks really good. Eve: Valkyrie is cool, but it is not a looker at all due to the combination of high contrast (space) and bad textures and the low resolution. Sorry for the Chronos example, maybe the second one will come to PS VR?

PBY

Banned
i can tell you are talking from impressions and not from real world experience. VR is something you need to sit down with yourself.

Some people have no tracking issues. Some games like thumper hardly rely on tracking at all, and are just crazy immersive.

I think the best advice is "try it" that's the only way you'll know if it's for you.

Definitely, there's currently no easy way for me to try it. I preordered it, but cancelled and am in wait and see mode.

For me, i've been blown away big time !

The immersion and the sense of presence is so good, i'm only thinking about VR games now since this is the way i like to play games now. Not saying flat screen gaming is over as i'm still gonna play the hell out of Titanfall 2, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon but man oh man, VR is like that theme park experience, it's a rush and it plays with your senses traditional gaming will never be able to.

I didn't buy any games yet as i'm still messing with the demos and all that but for sure i will buy at least 4-5 VR games in the upcoming month.

The only downside to me right now is the resolution but for what it brings, i can deal with the low res for now.

Really, it's amazing and i have absolutely no regrets, super super happy with my purchase and want more.

Make sure you try Playroom VR as in my opinion, this is the killer app for VR.

Top Bottom