• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR owners, has the technology blown your mind?

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure people saying PSVR has the worst screen door effect (SDE) when its widely reported its got the least of the 3. I don't really see any of that when I have the headset on.

On games with poor AA/SS, it gets a bit jaggy (so I'd say resolution is more of an issue)

I think the thing that has blown my mind most has been the first time the rollercoaster in Until Dawn goes down a steep hill and my stomach got that floaty feeling of actually going gown a steep incline.

This was also my first taste of wooziness as well, as when it flattened out my body didn't like that it compensated for the abrupt physical jarring that usually occurs yet nothing actually happened.

aparisi2274

Every time I pop on the helmet and try a new game, I always say wow to myself, however at some point I have a feeling that that is going to wear off and I'll just go back to playing most games on my TV.

CLEEK

I thought it would be a novelty. One that would wear off after I'd played Rez a bunch of times. I was also expecting teething issues or that the technology didn't live up the the promise (Kinect, Wii Remote Plus).

I've found that I love it, and all the launch games I've played have been excellent. The headset is comfortable, I've had zero technical issues with setting it up or using it, and the sense of immersion is amazing. And holy fuck at Rez.

Yeah, the resolution is low, yeah the PS4 is a bottleneck, yeah games have graphic compromised to work in VR. But none of that matters to me.

VR is absolutely the future of dedicated gaming. There is no way back from this. As a first step, it's brilliant.

border

It is pretty cool technology, but I have a hard time seeing it as more than an interesting novelty. It's rare that you ever really get the sense that you are in another place, experiencing another world. When those moments of total immersion do happen, it's pretty incredible (Arkham VR's opening sequence) .

Most of the time it just feels like playing a videogame on a gigantic IMAX. I'm not a graphics nut and on PC I will usually turn down the resolution so I can enjoy better framerates. That said, expect some absolutely awful image quality out of many games. Taking a traditional modern game and putting it in VR results in a jaggy, pixelly, shimmery mess.

Peltz

I would never play or even want something like at the scale of Skyrim in VR. That's just too much.
Same here. It would be depressing to be in VR for that long, as mind blowing as it is. The feeling of being disassociated with reality is also present and lasts a little while after a long VR session. I wouldn't want to prolong that effect with an open world game.

CLEEK

The technology needs to improve greatly before I would play VR for any length of time. The headsets need to become lightweight, wireless, with high resolution screens. PSVR in short bursts is incredible, but there is no way I'd use it for long sessions.

I've only tried a few of the demos but the resolution and fuzziness and all round cheap feeling I got from it didn't leave me with any desire to get one. Maybe my friend didn't set it up right or something but I was not impressed. I've not tried any other VR.

Illucio

Banned
I would never play or even want something like at the scale of Skyrim in VR. That's just too much.

Mhmmm.. You don't move enough in order to get motion sickness from Skyrim since it's more slow paced.

I want Skyrim VR more then anything. I hope there is a VR mod for PS4 or if Bethesda themselves will release one. They have no excuse not to have one other then not wanting to spend the time and money on one.

Raonak

Banned
Do you want a list of usernames?
What happens if I spend 15 minutes to find those posts, because surprisingly I didn't bookmark them in for example 2015 so I could whip them out now.

If I just do it for you to say okay you weren't lying I'm not really incentivized.

that's just fucking absurd. I've tried mobile VR, PSVR and Vive and PSVR is way closer to Vive than mobile VR.

firstly; PSVR's screen that is more closer to vive than mobileVR.

secondly: Positional tracking & controller tracking are game changers in the VR space.
Mobile VR is mostly a passive experience. Even though PSVR's solutions aren't the best, they're good enough to blow mobile VR out of the water.
Even simple shit, like the menu of VR Worlds, where you can use your controller to interact with the floating orb feels revolutionary.

Naudi

Banned
I thought it would be a novelty. One that would wear off after I'd played Rez a bunch of times. I was also expecting teething issues or that the technology didn't live up the the promise (Kinect, Wii Remote Plus).

I've found that I love it, and all the launch games I've played have been excellent. The headset is comfortable, I've had zero technical issues with setting it up or using it, and the sense of immersion is amazing. And holy fuck at Rez.

Yeah, the resolution is low, yeah the PS4 is a bottleneck, yeah games have graphic compromised to work in VR. But none of that matters to me.

VR is absolutely the future of dedicated gaming. There is no way back from this. As a first step, it's brilliant.

This sums up how I feel as well. I still get giddy everytime I play it due to the immersion I feel. It's crazy, I forget I'm sitting on my couch lol. I'm having a hard time playing games without it, the one time I tried I kept thinking how amazing it would be in VR. Of course there is things I would like to be better but that doesn't stop me from enjoying how incredible it is even now.

sn00zer

Its pretty fucking cool.

I think in general we've pretty much hit the peak of what we thought games would be "in the future". This is a good left turn to start to break new ground, similar to the 2D to 3D transition. We'll still seeing the best of traditional gaming while seeing the birth of a new one.

Also if you think gaming peaked in the 90s you should stay far away from this.

III-V

I would say it has blown my mind and continues to do so. When they iron out some of the tracking inconsistencies (possible memory leak?) the experience will be really nice.

Yes, and I don't use my TV screen anymore to play games...just plug in the PSVR (this includes Xbox one) and your set.

Yep, this. I have not played any game not through the headset since I got it. Call of Duty...King of Fighters...Madden don't care I'm using the headset even if it does take a hit on graphics. I have watched like 5 or 6 movies on it also and loved it.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure people saying PSVR has the worst screen door effect (SDE) when its widely reported its got the least of the 3. I don't really see any of that when I have the headset on.

On games with poor AA/SS, it gets a bit jaggy (so I'd say resolution is more of an issue)

The developer of Bound I think pointed out that doing VR games right on the PS4 involves doing the center of view at a better IQ than the outer areas - which makes perfect sense - but that he pointed out that some launch VR titles are not doing this probably because their engine didn't support it, or whatever. And when you know what to look for you can see it.

YuShtink

Its pretty fucking cool.

I think in general we've pretty much hit the peak of what we thought games would be "in the future". This is a good left turn to start to break new ground, similar to the 2D to 3D transition. We'll still seeing the best of traditional gaming while seeing the birth of a new one.

Also if you think gaming peaked in the 90s you should stay far away from this.

Exactly. John Carmack put it best a couple years back during one of his talks where he said something along the lines of:

Of course there are still a ways to go to photorealistic graphics and physics simulations, but we are at the point where there isn't much an artist can imagine that they can't render effectively in a modern video game. You might have to make some sacrifices here and there but the overall idea can be effectively produced at this point. How much BETTER can playing on a screen with a traditional controller really get? Where else can they take us that we haven't already been before? VR on the other hand opens a whole new world to engineers and artists to push things SO much further and radically influence the future of interactive entertainment.

Very exciting stuff.

The developer of Bound I think pointed out that doing VR games right on the PS4 involves doing the center of view at a better IQ than the outer areas - which makes perfect sense - but that he pointed out that some launch VR titles are not doing this probably because their engine didn't support it, or whatever. And when you know what to look for you can see it.

its more the screen. The OLED that sony uses minimises the SDE. So whenever I read about people saying its got the worst SDE, I'm puzzled. There was even a post on SDE

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289507

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ive messed with VR before in its early days so not really mind blowing, though it is cool to see how the tech has evolved. Do imagine it will only continue to do so as long as there is strong support.

Only messed with my PSVR once so far and its been off ever since after testing out the various software it has to offer. No real reason to turn it on again at the moment.

Bastion

I think the thing that has blown my mind most has been the first time the rollercoaster in Until Dawn goes down a steep hill and my stomach got that floaty feeling of actually going gown a steep incline.

This was also my first taste of wooziness as well, as when it flattened out my body didn't like that it compensated for the abrupt physical jarring that usually occurs yet nothing actually happened.

This 100%

Soi-Fong

Exactly. John Carmack put it best a couple years back during one of his talks where he said something along the lines of:

Of course there are still a ways to go to photorealistic graphics and physics simulations, but we are at the point where there isn't much an artist can imagine that they can't render effectively in a modern video game. You might have to make some sacrifices here and there but the overall idea can be effectively produced at this point. How much BETTER can playing on a screen with a traditional controller really get? Where else can they take us that we haven't already been before? VR on the other hand opens a whole new world to engineers and artists to push things SO much further and radically influence the future of interactive entertainment.

Very exciting stuff.

This is so true... We're starting to get near the peak really of getting life-like graphics. VR really is a new frontier where there's new challenges and hurdles to overcome, but also new experiences as well just waiting to get discovered.

Rigs and Playroom VR Platformer have opened my eyes really to what VR can do.

My first real "presence" moment in VR came through Elite Dangerous sitting inside the cockpit for the first time inside the space stations inside the blurry DK2! And it's been a crazy ride ever since in VR.

PSVR isn't perfect, but I'm hoping its numbers do well enough that more developers jump into the fray.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So you've gone from being concerned Sony will poison the VR well to grudging acceptance that it's a decent product.

OT - is mucked around with a DK2 a couple of times, but Rez, Thumper, Wayward Sky and especially Allumette have made me so absurdly happy to interact with their environments.

I'm also guilty of the 'reach out & try to touch' thing on numerous occasions :)

I was worried yes, still am even, but the product seems to be decent so i just call it like it is.

The beginning of batman makes me wonder what a full budget Hollywood film done in 3d with big name actors and motion capture would be like.
Imagine you know inception or something where you can move around to different viewpoints and watch all the scenes unfold. Or switch into the bodies of characters.

I think it might be one possible future of movies. Which are a somewhat solitary experience anyway.

Maybe they can do it.first with a pixar movie. As all the assets are there, tone down the rendering and put it into.VR let me watch Mr incredible from 100 ft up, battle the boss. Or sit next to Buddy in the robot and help him pull levers.

There is something like that on the vive. Forget what it is called, but it is a short "film" of an explosion at a bar and you play cyberpunk detective pausing, moving around, rewinding and playing through the whole thing so you can figure out what happened.

Let me tell you, watching an explosion go off under your feet over and over again was pretty damn awesome.

Maybe for you who have already bought into VR. But that won't make VR successful long term. Try to think about it like someone who is a standard gamer and is entertained by the idea of VR but won't buy in for immersion factor alone. The games, the experience, IQ has to live up to the expectation of what people think with next gen. Alot of friends I know think it's a gimmick, I think it's coasting by fight now on hype and early gimmicky titles but it can truly be great. They aren't convinced and as John Carmack has said that will be the impression until they really get true VR games ready and not just stilted short experiences. Things like Fallout 4 VR will be a real proof
of concept to me and I think will get naysayers to really sit up and take note. Provided its good or course.

I just want to know why isn't their a killer system seller game that was produced alongside the VR. Why didn't Sony do that for the PSVR?

Did the commodore 64 have a system seller? Because that is the stage VR is in right now. We are still a few gens away from gameplay standards becoming set.

Hawk269

No it did not blow me away. The PSVR shows a TON of potential however. The issue with the PSVR is the resolution and Image Quality, which is due to the limited power of the PS4. For VR you need a lot more powerful hardware where resolution, IQ and framerate. I played a lot of the demos for the PSVR and there is definitely some insane potential in some of those games and how impressive the premise is, but with VR in order for it to be compelling it cannot be low resolution and poor IQ. The premise is "Virtual Reality" and in reality it is not a jagged mess and blurry at times.

I am not knocking the PSVR, I have one and I do enjoy it, it is just limited by it connected hardware and that is what brings it down for me and many others. The tech is still very early, but we may see if the PS4 Pro can improve things.

VR blew my mind and my family's mind. Very cool stuff. We instantly bought a PSVR, returned it and then bought a Vive, just because we have a computer that can handle it and found a pristine open box for $680. Love it

Mind Blowned? Nah. Resolution and visuals are pretty low. I won't be mind blown until this thing is wireless and I know that it will take years to get there.

Impressed? Hell Yeah. It works and it's great. It has refreshed gaming for me. It's hard to go back to 2D, hell it's even harder to go back to my 32" TV after playing 2D games in Cinema Mode XD

notacat

Mine has been.

Been gaming all my life, and PSVR is the first thing that's "Wow"'ed me since seeing DooM for the first time.

Games are super immersive, and since getting it I haven't gone back to playing anything on the flatscreen since.

Though with BF1 and such out soon, I'll go back, but I know i'm going to toss the helmet back on to do more Rez and others.

tr1p1ex

No, It's a cool device but the many small annoyances drag down the experience.

This. The tech is really cool. We're you're in large room you really feel the size of the room. It felt really cool just to pick up the can and gun in the London Heist tutorial, pick up a magazine, load the gun and fire it and then throw it back in the box........ but ...we were done with VR after 2 hours between playing and setting up. And that was 3 of us taking turns. VR wears on a person. Day 2 might go better. But it gave me the same feeling I get when I'm really dizzy. A headache. A bit of a sick feeling.

Definitely some aspects of VR affected me worse than others. The Scavenger experience in VR worlds instantly started that dizzy feeling in my head. AT a different point in my VR experience, it wanted me to reposition the camera to fit my face and standing and turning a bit while that screen was on really hit me as well. The after effects linger for me. I even feel it a tad 4 hrs later. Enough so I will wait until tomorrow to try it again.

Also, in general, it's a bit of a wearing experience with the headset on and the darkness and not being able to see anyone or anything except a screen. Imagine wearing a hazmat suit all day in a dark cave with only a flashlight and some artificial lights here and there. It's not a normal day. OR say working the night shift. It kind of gave me that feeling too.

And then the cable mess. There's a breakout box and 3 cables there. There's a cable or is it set of cables connecting to the headset . Next u have headphone cables. Next the charging cables. The Move controllers add 2 more charging cables to whatever you have for your dualshock4 controllers. And then you only have 1 open USB port on the PS4 because VR takes up the other port. So a need for a separate charging solution arises. VR seems to eat batteries. Dualshock4s don't have good battery life to begin with. And none of this stuff can charge on a standard USB wall charger.

Last there's config hassles. You gotta reset stuff sometimes or reconfig the camera if another player of different height is playing etc. Finding your controllers and switching controllers discs in VR is a hassle. There's little goofs in the VR stuff. DRift. shimmers. STuff disappearing. Simple stuff that awes you with a huge world around you and yet it feels like the platform you're standing on comes up to your knees to give one example.

Wait one more annoyance, it's boring to watch (someone play) VR. Hitting a ball in VR by swinging your dual shock controller is pretty cool, but on the tv screen it's very ho hum & blah.

I imagine my body will adapt some going forward.

I'm giving it a week to see if I will return or resell.

Definitely cool. I was pretty in awe. I've demoed VIVE and GearVR and this was cooler than the VIVE demo at the MS store or the GearVR demo at BB, but VR is definitely not as simple and convenient as couch, controller and tv.

Reallink

Batman for sure does it, you can see the artifact from it in your periphery.

Pretty much yes. I realize the tech has a ways to go, but the potential I see from what I have experienced so far is great. The sense of immersion is like nothing else. It is not a gimmick but a new medium for the future.

Even games not designed for VR, but enhanced by it like Thumper, add a new layer to the experience that standard tv gaming can't compare.

Gemeanie

Already adjusted my expectation when I tried out London Heist demo a year ago but I feel it will soon change my gaming habit and taste. For instance, I have not played Rez and Thumper in TV mode ever since I got the headset, and I find myself more willing to buy genre that I don't usually play as long as it offers decent VR experience.

And after watching Allumette VR that 'devastating' 'powerful' short from Pixar animators on Vimeo felt so boring to me

Did the commodore 64 have a system seller? Because that is the stage VR is in right now. We are still a few gens away from gameplay standards becoming set.

Come on, you can't even pretend that the markets even closely remember each-other competitively. VR most definitely exists in the same space as non VR games. It might be a new paradigm, but it's not a completely different category. At least for gaming applications.

melkier33

Just got mine yesterday, it's pretty cool. I think I'm sensitive to camera movement so I can't comment on a lot of games till I get adjusted. I have two highlights.

Bound, being able to walk the character up to the camera it looks so dam good. Try it standing up it almost feels like someone's next to you. I think the character is programmed to look at the camera also, it's a nice little touch.

O! My Genesis, downloaded the HK demo disc to try this. I though the trailer looked ok-ish. It's pretty fun and seems like it could be a full blown strategy game. In the demo there's a T-Rex that can eat your people, when he launches them in the air to swallow them you can pluck them out of the air and save them. I hope this one gets released in NA soon.

I tried the playroom platformer everyone is talking about, I was really amazed by it. Unfortunately the camera movement had me feeling not so good pretty quick. I hope I get adjusted soon I really want to go back to this one.

I thought I'd buy Rez and thumper right away but after playing the demos I wasn't really impressed.

PepperedHam

I tried Playroom VR tonight at a friend's, did Robot Rescue and I honestly couldn't believe it. I had so much fun, playing a 3D platformer using VR as the camera honestly blew my mind. Playroom VR is amazing.

Buying one with my first holiday OT check for sure.

Rush of Blood is a lot of fun too. Really impressed.

VICI0US

I just got my free PSVR from the taco bell giveaway today and spent most of the evening playing demos.

To be blunt I don't see it being worth the $500+ investment, at least not right now. If I hadn't gotten it for free there's no way I'd have actually purchased one

As others have said the IQ in some of the games is downright awful. I went in with pretty low expectations knowing it's console VR.. some of the games look worse than I imagined. Driveclub and the "kitchen" demo in particular were very, very rough on the eyes.

Not to mention all of the other issues like screen drift, controller drift, jitter, poor tracking, no roomscale, etc.

Hawk269

I just got my free PSVR from the taco bell giveaway today and spent most of the evening playing demos.

To be blunt I don't see it being worth the $500+ investment, at least not right now. If I hadn't gotten it for free there's no way I'd have actually purchased one

As others have said the IQ in some of the games is downright awful. I went in with pretty low expectations knowing it's console VR.. some of the games look worse than I imagined. Driveclub and the "kitchen" demo in particular were very, very rough on the eyes.

Not to mention all of the other issues like screen drift, controller drift, jitter, poor tracking, no roomscale, etc.

You mention several things that I have been experiencing and I paid for mine. Free or not, you are right. The IQ on some and in my example most games is really bad. I see a ton of potential, the Platformer for example is pretty damn amazing with the exception of the poor IQ.

There are other issues, I have had many times where the Dual Shock would go off center and even though I am holding it forward with both hands, the game things it is facing completely left or right. Holding down the "options" button fixes it, but this also happens with the headset. I can be have the perfect set up for one game, but then it is not for the next game and requires more adjustments.

Personally, the tech is interesting and has a ton of potential and even with the hardware issues, it really is the IQ/resolution that brings things down a lot. I am really eager to test it when my PS4 Pro comes in and some of the games get patched for Pro support.

No it did not blow me away. The PSVR shows a TON of potential however. The issue with the PSVR is the resolution and Image Quality, which is due to the limited power of the PS4. For VR you need a lot more powerful hardware where resolution, IQ and framerate. I played a lot of the demos for the PSVR and there is definitely some insane potential in some of those games and how impressive the premise is, but with VR in order for it to be compelling it cannot be low resolution and poor IQ. The premise is "Virtual Reality" and in reality it is not a jagged mess and blurry at times.

I am not knocking the PSVR, I have one and I do enjoy it, it is just limited by it connected hardware and that is what brings it down for me and many others. The tech is still very early, but we may see if the PS4 Pro can improve things.
Wrong to the bolded. The premise is PRESENCE, not graphics.

If you are feeling your presence in a game then it's working, regardless of what it looks like.

Better visuals won't improve your sense of presence in a game world. A greater periphery, tracking and interaction will.

You can have all the lush visuals you want but if the sense of presence and place is absent, none of the eye candy matters in VR.

BstnRich

Get it man! It is fantastic. You won't regret it.

fry_squinting.gif

TrojanAg

Area X in Rez blew my fucking mind. That was enough to convince me about VR having a future in gaming. This is coming from someone who canceled their preorder and changed their mind at the last second, but I'm glad I did.

It's not perfect but the technology is there in a convincing fashion to give you a sense of presence and immersion.

I loved Rez Area X.

My brother loved Batman.

My Dad liked Rush of Blood.

My sister liked Playroom VR.

And my mom liked ocean dive, or whatever its called. All the while utilizing the social screen as a family.

This was the first time in any sort of family reunion that we all spent playing video games together. Because normally, outside of myself nobody in my family gives a shit about games.

And in that sense, I think PSVR can turn into something special.

DjRalford

I loved Rez Area X.

My brother loved Batman.

My Dad liked Rush of Blood.

My sister liked Playroom VR.

And my mom liked ocean dive, or whatever its called. All the while utilizing the social screen as a family.

This was the first time in any sort of family reunion that we all spent playing video games together. Because normally, outside of myself nobody in my family gives a shit about games.

And in that sense, I think PSVR can turn into something special.

Yeah, it has that original Wii effect

Briarios

One of the things that really convinced me of how amazing it is was one of the smallest, silliest things a lot of people may not have even paid attention to. In VR Worlds, the little balls that float in front of each world blow me away. When you're in the VR space, and it looks fully three dimensional -- then you smack one with the controller, and it feels like each one has different heft and weight as if you are manipulating something in a physical world. I love that feeling.

Top Bottom