• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

RavageX

Nice to see more people on board!

I haven't felt up for VR as of late, I bought GT Sport, Doom VR and Bridge Crew that I have yet to play.

Skyrim VR stalled me a bit as I ran into an old bug that will require me to start over...

Nice to see more people on board!

I haven't felt up for VR as of late, I bought GT Sport, Doom VR and Bridge Crew that I have yet to play.

Skyrim VR stalled me a bit as I ran into an old bug that will require me to start over...

That sucks, you figure Bethesda would have figured it out by now. What was the bug you ran into?

RavageX

That sucks, you figure Bethesda would have figured it out by now. What was the bug you ran into?

It's one that messes with changing companions. There might be a way to fix it, not real sure. Basically I did the werewolf quests and then moved on to dawnguard and the vampire chick(serena) can't join me cause one of the companions still registers as being with me when they aren't. Cant remove them, etc.

Honestly I feel like a kid, playing games for the first time and its a feeling I haven't felt in years.

Very well said. I still get the feeling when playing with VR and I have the PSVR since it's release. There is just so much potential in this medium and if more people would have the opportunity to try it they would probably sell much more units.
Everyone I showed VR, no matter if they were non-gamers or critics of VR, were amazed by it.

Grinchy

Banned
Very well said. I still get the feeling when playing with VR and I have the PSVR since it's release. There is just so much potential in this medium and if more people would have the opportunity to try it they would probably sell much more units.
Everyone I showed VR, no matter if they were non-gamers or critics of VR, were amazed by it.
My dad stopped playing videogames during the NES days, despite his love of Tetris and Dr Mario. He played a little bit of Doom on our Packard Bell (lol) but he just had some sudden shift in his 30s where he decided that he couldn't allow himself to waste time on such foolishness!

Now he's in his 60s and I brought my VR over for a thanksgiving get together and he was blown away. He had to be talked into trying it in the first place, and he just sat there like a lump while the loading screens came up. I had him try Rush of Blood. As soon as he realized he had full control of his in-game guns and could look all around, he was floored. I had him start on the 2nd level, where the ghost thing just appears next to you and he jumped like a little kid.

He suddenly got really into it and was accurately shooting and mowing down enemies because of how intuitive it is to play simple VR games like that. If this was a game using the dualshock, he'd have no chance. He tried some other games like Job Simulator amongst everyone else taking turns and he just kept going on about how amazing the technology was.

My dad stopped playing videogames during the NES days, despite his love of Tetris and Dr Mario. He played a little bit of Doom on our Packard Bell (lol) but he just had some sudden shift in his 30s where he decided that he couldn't allow himself to waste time on such foolishness!

Now he's in his 60s and I brought my VR over for a thanksgiving get together and he was blown away. He had to be talked into trying it in the first place, and he just sat there like a lump while the loading screens came up. I had him try Rush of Blood. As soon as he realized he had full control of his in-game guns and could look all around, he was floored. I had him start on the 2nd level, where the ghost thing just appears next to you and he jumped like a little kid.

He suddenly got really into it and was accurately shooting and mowing down enemies because of how intuitive it is to play simple VR games like that. If this was a game using the dualshock, he'd have no chance. He tried some other games like Job Simulator amongst everyone else taking turns and he just kept going on about how amazing the technology was.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Sony has the potential of achieving with VR what Nintendo did with the Wii and Motion Controls. If they would install demo stations in every shopping mall or gamestore I'm sure they would sell a lot more units and people were more willing to invest the high price. In Germany there seems to be almost no visibility of VR. I've never seen the possibility to try it out anywhere. I think it is a missed opportunity.

I picked up RIGS: Mechanized Combat League last night as a huge Titanfall and Pacific Rim fan I couldn't help myself, just the idea of a big robot combat game in VR, if only there were Kaiju's... I was a little worried going in, I was born without a left ear drum which can make things like spinning rides a disaster as well as just generally effect my balance, I've had no issues so far with VR but I knew this game would be a bit different. To look at me you'd never know the difference its just something I've dealt with but with RIGS being a full speed FPS, in a mech robot, in VR I wasn't sure I'd start to feel sick and have to stop playing.

Visually I feel like this game got a really bad wrap, I had read some reviews before grabbing it on the way home from work and most reviews tended to state visually it was a let down. Maybe watching it not in VR it makes the game look basic but as you're actually playing in VR, this is really up there for me with all the movement and controls that went into this game.

When I started out last night playing through the tutorial, the in game warning came up "play in shorter sessions due to lots of movement when first starting out" ...the hell with that I thought, I paid for it! I'm going to enjoy my VR and game how I want.

In the settings there was a cool setting I'd wondered if VR games would include where you control the direction of where you're going (or in this case your RIG) by turning your head in that direction, like in real life. I was stoked to see it in the tutorial so tried it out, dropped the turn speed and voila! I played for about an hour and a half before I had to go to bed for work. Pretty sure the guy in the prior post mentioned it too, getting his dad back into gaming through the magic of VR. What a time to live in as far as technology goes, the rest of its kinda fucked but the technology is great!

I definitely felt some Titanfall inspired things from this game too, ejecting in particular if you choose to leave the "mask" off in game, which is set through the tutorial/ settings, unfortunately there was no way to shoot at other RIGS as you ejected because pilots cant be controlled outside your RIG. Maybe its just me but theres something really rewarding about looking at your own hands on the control sticks, even seeing your shoulders line up where they feel like they would be, right up to where your VR set begins and then looking at your mech arms that you control individually, that can fire different weapons depending on your setup.

I played offline modes only to get a feel for the game, during my play through I noticed a couple different modes, I ended up playing two modes after clearing the tutorial and checking out the different RIGS, I feel like there are definitely more modes. The first I played was the classic match, what you'd expect, shoot the opposing team and complete" take downs" of the opposing teams RIGS. The second was like a sports/ combat match where you had to perform 2 take downs of opposing team members to throw your RIG into overdrive then jump through the top of this giant basket like structure in the middle of the arena to score points while in overdrive. Essentially this was like turning your RIG into a combat ready, basketball and was surprisingly fun.

I'm just curious now, for anyone else who plays RIGS, whats your fav/ best RIG setup. Also to anyone else new to VR, or planning on getting one, I recommend RIGS: Mechanized Combat League, for the $24.95 CAD I paid for a new copy of the game, I wont be regretting my decision to pick it up anytime soon.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I picked up RIGS: Mechanized Combat League last night as a huge Titanfall and Pacific Rim fan I couldn't help myself, just the idea of a big robot combat game in VR, if only there were Kaiju's... I was a little worried going in, I was born without a left ear drum which can make things like spinning rides a disaster as well as just generally effect my balance, I've had no issues so far with VR but I knew this game would be a bit different. To look at me you'd never know the difference its just something I've dealt with but with RIGS being a full speed FPS, in a mech robot, in VR I wasn't sure I'd start to feel sick and have to stop playing.

Visually I feel like this game got a really bad wrap, I had read some reviews before grabbing it on the way home from work and most reviews tended to state visually it was a let down. Maybe watching it not in VR it makes the game look basic but as you're actually playing in VR, this is really up there for me with all the movement and controls that went into this game.

When I started out last night playing through the tutorial, the in game warning came up "play in shorter sessions due to lots of movement when first starting out" ...the hell with that I thought, I paid for it! I'm going to enjoy my VR and game how I want.

In the settings there was a cool setting I'd wondered if VR games would include where you control the direction of where you're going (or in this case your RIG) by turning your head in that direction, like in real life. I was stoked to see it in the tutorial so tried it out, dropped the turn speed and voila! I played for about an hour and a half before I had to go to bed for work. Pretty sure the guy in the prior post mentioned it too, getting his dad back into gaming through the magic of VR. What a time to live in as far as technology goes, the rest of its kinda fucked but the technology is great!

I definitely felt some Titanfall inspired things from this game too, ejecting in particular if you choose to leave the "mask" off in game, which is set through the tutorial/ settings, unfortunately there was no way to shoot at other RIGS as you ejected because pilots cant be controlled outside your RIG. Maybe its just me but theres something really rewarding about looking at your own hands on the control sticks, even seeing your shoulders line up where they feel like they would be, right up to where your VR set begins and then looking at your mech arms that you control individually, that can fire different weapons depending on your setup.

I played offline modes only to get a feel for the game, during my play through I noticed a couple different modes, I ended up playing two modes after clearing the tutorial and checking out the different RIGS, I feel like there are definitely more modes. The first I played was the classic match, what you'd expect, shoot the opposing team and complete" take downs" of the opposing teams RIGS. The second was like a sports/ combat match where you had to perform 2 take downs of opposing team members to throw your RIG into overdrive then jump through the top of this giant basket like structure in the middle of the arena to score points while in overdrive. Essentially this was like turning your RIG into a combat ready, basketball and was surprisingly fun.

I'm just curious now, for anyone else who plays RIGS, whats your fav/ best RIG setup. Also to anyone else new to VR, or planning on getting one, I recommend RIGS: Mechanized Combat League, for the $24.95 CAD I paid for a new copy of the game, I wont be regretting my decision to pick it up anytime soon.
I love Rigs. Can't remember the names of the individual rigs but I tend to lean towards mobility over everything else.

The only issue I have with the game is the fact that the online is mostly dead.

Also if you like the direction of movement being controlled by where you are looking Farpoint does that incredibly well.

I love Rigs. Can't remember the names of the individual rigs but I tend to lean towards mobility over everything else.

The only issue I have with the game is the fact that the online is mostly dead.

Also if you like the direction of movement being controlled by where you are looking Farpoint does that incredibly well.

Any chance that Skyrim and RE7 do this as well?

Grinchy

Banned
RIGS, at launch, when you could find people online, was amazing. It was like the Rocket League of VR. Such a fantastic game with such an unfortunate demise.

It's still fun to go back to every now and then and mess with the bots, but nothing compares to the intense action of 3v3 online. I liked the Tempest class. It is the one that can shoot up into the air and then float, but had really low health.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I got the Skyrim bundle last week and bought the Rush of Blood game on PS Store. Really immersive. Sure the PSVR is probably not as detailed as ...let's say...Occulus but it is still pretty awesome. I had previously bought Rez, so the free VR add on was neat. I had also previously bought Wipeout, so I'm looking forward to downloading the free VR add-on for that too. I still need to go through all of the demos and jump into Skyrim (for the 4th time). I need to find out what to get next.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Just tried Wipeout VR. Wow! This is exactly what I want from VR. Looks great and runs fast! Very immersive and plays great! I have been a fan of Wipeout since XL and this finally is what I wanted Wipout to be.

Grabbed the Collective Minds stand today for my PSVR, was just keeping it in the box before taking it in/out after each use. Its a sturdy little thing and charges everything.

hfJLPZ4.jpg

Grabbed the Collective Minds stand today for my PSVR, was just keeping it in the box before taking it in/out after each use. Its a sturdy little thing and charges everything.

hfJLPZ4.jpg

looks great but i just simply put mine in a black pillow case to avoid dust

I guess u could still put a pillow case over that though

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone else still playing Skyrim? I just started it back up like a week ago and have been playing like 2-3 hours of it each day. The changes they made since the last time I played are so damn welcomed. The height adjustment, using X to move backwards instead of pointing the whole controller behind you, the realistic bow aiming, ect. It just feels a lot nicer now.

I'm glad I skipped so many questlines back when I played this game on PC back at the launch. I also never had the DLC. Getting to play them out for the first time in VR definitely helps make the game feel fresh.

Last edited:
Anyone else still playing Skyrim? I just started it back up like a week ago and have been playing like 2-3 hours of it each day. The changes they made since the last time I played are so damn welcomed. The height adjustment, using X to move backwards instead of pointing the whole controller behind you, the realistic bow aiming, ect. It just feels a lot nicer now.

I'm glad I skipped so many questlines back when I played this game on PC back at the launch. I also never had the DLC. Getting to play them out for the first time in VR definitely helps make the game feel fresh.

The height adjustment thing was noticeable when I played Skyrim too over other games, I think the only other game I've come across that did a 'floor adjustment' was Job Simulator on the demo disc 2.0.

I didn't get to play as much VR as I wanted too on the weekend, I did start playing "The Inpatient" last night for abit, that was terrifying once I got going, it reminded me of that season of American Horror Story: Asylum with a few undertones of The Shining. For me the controls could be abit finicky as I found myself twisted around abit and when you moved to certain interactive points within a room. The camera would sort of automatically bounce me to the opposite direction of the interactive point I was trying to get too, be it my bed, my creepy roomate or a sandwich.

The voice controls were an awesome addition, I really wish more games had this and maybe they do, I'm still pretty green. The visuals were actually really good, the level of detail on the characters, the atmosphere of the building, it really feels like you're either playing a weird interactive dream you're having or you're on a big hit of acid. This VR stuff is just bending my mind and I wish more people could experience it because theres just so much potential here.

The issues with the controls bouncing me can be forgiven though, as I got going those sort of dream sequences in between your day to day were scary as fuck, the first one I just wasn't expecting either. Following your nice Buddy Holly looking orderly through the halls as he'd speak something that sounded like latin or parseltongue and things just pop up down the halls. After playing through a few sequences like this, my heart was actually jumping out of my chest but I loved the way it made me feel and placed you in that experience as if you were there.

The craziest thing is when you take off that headset and you're back in your bright living room, I'm just so amazed by my experiences with VR and cant wait to keep playing more.

RavageX

I started Skyrim over again just the other day, just finished the bleak borrow. Taking my time cause it's been a while. Gonna try to take care of parts of dawnguard so maybe I can avoid that bug.

I ended up reinstalling the original Star Wars Battlefront yesterday, I'd been dying to play the X-Wing VR mission since before I bought VR so it was finally time, I was abit surprised EA skipped doing another VR mission in Star Wars Battlefront II.

It felt so surreal sitting in that X-Wing cockpit, looking at everything I'd seen from a lifetime of watching the movies, playing with different buttons within the comfort of my own X-Wing. Although pretty much all of the buttons were just there to press for the hell of it, one on the left near the dash activated your shield. The epic little yellow button with a black symbol on it to your right, towards the middle of the window popped up your targeting computer which folds out infront of you! (old news I'm sure to the early adopters in this thread) but still awesome for my first play through.

Visually everything looked so polished and I played and replayed this mission a few times, sometimes just flying around getting closer looks at the bigger rebellion ships, checking out the backgrounds, planets/ star clusters.

The problem is, it was so short and I want more!! If only more companies like EA would actually do something with VR, EA in particular, use that Star Wars licence and reimagine something like Rogue Squadron in VR. Even the life sized AT-AT walking through a giant white area past your line of vision as the game starts up was completely epic.

RavageX

So guys, in case any of you are interested, these are some of the multiplayer games that I have.

GT Sport
Doom VFR (have not played)
Star Trek: Bridge Crew (which I have not even played)
Driveclub
RIGS
Battlezone
Farpoint

And more that I currently can't recall. I am not online often, but would like to try a few of these in a NeoGaf PSVR group type thing. I imagine that none of you would be jerks, lol.
That's the main reason I don't do online gaming these days.

My PSN is RavageX

So guys, in case any of you are interested, these are some of the multiplayer games that I have.

GT Sport
Driveclub
RIGS
Battlezone
Farpoint

And more that I currently can't recall. I am not online often, but would like to try a few of these in a NeoGaf PSVR group type thing. I imagine that none of you would be jerks, lol.

My PSN is RavageX

I might be down for RIGS, I plan on getting Battlezone, I'm still getting the hang of it early on in with my PSVR. (CloudStrife_ca)

Job Simulator arrived last night and between that and RIGS these have been my fav's so far for quick does of gameplay. Previously I only played the demo of Job Simulator off the 2.0 demo disc but finally playing through the office simulator and store clerk simulator last night I had a blast! This game has so much charm and just random fun to it, I can't wait for Vacation Simulator to come out, the follow up from Owlchemy Labs. I was unbelievably happy when I noticed you could load up an in-game version of "Oregon Trail" whipping mugs of hot coffee around the office and shooting off roman candles in the convenience store.

6zO5Iho.jpg

Toe-Knee

GT Sport
Driveclub
RIGS
Battlezone
Farpoint

My PSN is RavageX
I might be down for RIGS, I plan on getting Battlezone, I'm still getting the hang of it early on in with my PSVR. (CloudStrife_ca)

Job Simulator arrived last night and between that and RIGS these have been my fav's so far for quick does of gameplay. Previously I only played the demo of Job Simulator off the 2.0 demo disc but finally playing through the office simulator and store clerk simulator last night I had a blast! This game has so much charm and just random fun to it, I can't wait for Vacation Simulator to come out, the follow up from Owlchemy Labs. I was unbelievably happy when I noticed you could load up an in-game version of "Oregon Trail" whipping mugs of hot coffee around the office and shooting off roman candles in the convenience store.

6zO5Iho.jpg

I have rigs and starblood arena from when it was on plus. I still haven't tried that yet.

Im Transcend-Tony. If anyone adds me be sure to leave a message as I've been getting a lot of spam requests recently.

Also I can only really do vr Friday & Saturday nights.

wondermega

I ended up reinstalling the original Star Wars Battlefront yesterday, I'd been dying to play the X-Wing VR mission since before I bought VR so it was finally time, I was abit surprised EA skipped doing another VR mission in Star Wars Battlefront II.

It felt so surreal sitting in that X-Wing cockpit, looking at everything I'd seen from a lifetime of watching the movies, playing with different buttons within the comfort of my own X-Wing. Although pretty much all of the buttons were just there to press for the hell of it, one on the left near the dash activated your shield. The epic little yellow button with a black symbol on it to your right, towards the middle of the window popped up your targeting computer which folds out infront of you! (old news I'm sure to the early adopters in this thread) but still awesome for my first play through.

Visually everything looked so polished and I played and replayed this mission a few times, sometimes just flying around getting closer looks at the bigger rebellion ships, checking out the backgrounds, planets/ star clusters.

The problem is, it was so short and I want more!! If only more companies like EA would actually do something with VR, EA in particular, use that Star Wars licence and reimagine something like Rogue Squadron in VR. Even the life sized AT-AT walking through a giant white area past your line of vision as the game starts up was completely epic.
If you want more of this, grab Jackal Assault, it's free.

Tumle

Anyone have a VR community on PS4? I’d love to join! Need more vr people to play with
My psn name is tumle😊
Also “wearwolfs with in” is a fun little game to just relax and have fun with, for the new vr brethren’s 😊

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Anyone have a VR community on PS4? I’d love to join! Need more vr people to play with
My psn name is tumle😊
Also “wearwolfs with in” is a fun little game to just relax and have fun with, for the new vr brethren’s 😊

I've been considering making one. I might just do it tonight after work. If anyone else gets to it first that would be cool too.

Tumle

I've been considering making one. I might just do it tonight after work. If anyone else gets to it first that would be cool too.
I’d love to join if you make it😊
Multiplayer games I have:
Rec room(duh :p)
Rigs
Eve
Werewolfs within
And that space shooter that was free with ps+ once.. can’t remember what it’s called but it’s so much fun😊
Star Trek:bridge crew (on vive though, but it’s cross platform) 😊

Last edited:

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
HEADMASTER everyone... HEADMASTER.

(there are other VR games, this is not a sponsored post, you may actually start to like soccer - this is not the fault of the poster. T&Cs apply.....)

Headmaster is -soccer skills- meets -portal- .... its glorious. I'm a fairly handy soccer player but my heading ability is absolute garbage.
in .... 30? years of playing - i've scored -2- headed goals and only 1 of those was deliberate.

Headmaster teaches you how to head -properly- but the truth is - you don't need to be into soccer to enjoy it , it's more a bit of fun ... where you also casually learn soccer skills on the sly.

It's funny, the party mode is amazing, the challenges are great....

There is nothing to not love about Headmaster. So please - join us all at the Football Improvement Centre ....

<partridge> join me </>

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
also - i don't like heights and Megaton Rainfall made me extremely uncomfortable with all the help assists off - despite that the game is solid stuff :D

Ar¢tos

I really hope sony keeps supporting VR next gen and releases an upgraded version of it for PS5.
There is so much unused potential for this tech besides games, but without a proper install base it will never happen.
I would gladly pay full price for a "VR Louvre" experience.

Toe-Knee

I really hope sony keeps supporting VR next gen and releases an upgraded version of it for PS5.
There is so much unused potential for this tech besides games, but without a proper install base it will never happen.
I would gladly pay full price for a "VR Louvre" experience.

I really want vr concerts & festivals etc. They did the world Cup so this should be a breeze.

Educational stuff too

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

6zO5Iho.jpg
Not a great researching work, in my opinion. There are tons of better examples missing and some really forgettable examples included.

Donkey Kong Country 2 had a water effect light years ahead of Donkey Kong Country. Crash Warped has really amazing water effects. Treasures of the Deep has the best underwater simulation of Playstation. Sega's Dark Edge had really cool reflections in early 1993. Magic Carpet in 1994 had also great software surface volume simulation back in 1994 for MSDOS. Expendable's exclusive Matrox G400 environmental bump mapping was also groundbreaking for 99.

Just to mention a few..

But hey, yeah, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, thats not a game that most people mention in water dicussions. Kudos for them.
I’d love to join if you make it😊
Multiplayer games I have:
Rec room(duh :p)
Rigs
Eve
Werewolfs within
And that space shooter that was free with ps+ once.. can’t remember what it’s called but it’s so much fun😊
Star Trek:bridge crew (on vive though, but it’s cross platform) 😊
I'd be down to join.

I made the community.

I kept it simple it's called "VR Matchmaking"

Everyone feel free to join and invite people.

Geki-D

Banned
What are people's experiences with the PSVR & a 7.1 AVR? Someone here suggested a HDMI splitter to me but seeing as I was meant to move I got it but never set it up and now that my belated move has happened I decided to upgrade my surround system with a Denon avr x2400h.

Still haven't set everything up (was waiting for a stand for the camera that should have arrived today) but I'm wondering if the AVR could be used as a splitter instead? Anyone tried this?

Tumle

What are people's experiences with the PSVR & a 7.1 AVR? Someone here suggested a HDMI splitter to me but seeing as I was meant to move I got it but never set it up and now that my belated move has happened I decided to upgrade my surround system with a Denon avr x2400h.

Still haven't set everything up (was waiting for a stand for the camera that should have arrived today) but I'm wondering if the AVR could be used as a splitter instead? Anyone tried this?
Have an onkyo avr and haven’t had any problems other than hdr not going through but that’s because I have the old psvr box unfortunately 😕

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Trying to set this all up I've found that the AVR doesn't change much besides it just replacing the TV HDMI in. Though the splitter I got is yet again worthless because it has 1 out 3 in's and I need at least 2 outs with only 1 in. This splitter stuff is a serious pain.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My PSVR mostly gather's dust these days. I like the experience for the most part, I just can't be bothered to play it when I have so many regular games I enjoy more. Especially in summer as even with A/C it's a little warm and I have more issues with getting sweaty and lens fogging with the headset. I contemplated selling it off, but with all the recent price drops/sales it's not going for enough to bother so I'm holding on to it hoping I'll get more in the mood. I have a couple games bought I still need to play/play more and a couple things I'd like to buy and play if I get back to using it more like Moss and Superhot.

The other thing that drives me nuts is frequently the box won't "wake up" when I wake the PS4 from rest mode (I have the V2 box), forcing me to go turn on the VR headset to wake it up, and then turn it back off. I need to stop being lazy and just unhook the breakout box HDMI for now I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_Loot

Wow, The Persistence is pretty damn good! Certainly on the upper end of AA games. The final game feels much more cohesive (and faster)than the demo. Worth a look for sure.

I've been slowly starting to go through this thread today to get caught up on what I've missed, damn VR bug has got me good!

Why are we not talking about Blood & Truth?! I've figured out its TBA: 2018 but the polish in this game looks amazing, the controls look clever and the interactive use of the environments look like so much fun! could this be the AAA game we're all looking for? In the video I watched the guy playing had to mimic the loading of a clip into an automatic handgun with 2 move controllers, there was duel wielding guns, he put a clip on the handle of his gun, threw it in the air and loaded his weapon.

It looked like a modern day GoldenEye FPS set in Casino Royale, mixed with the creativity of Superhot VR and more polish than London Heist with everything awesome from every action movie ever. I really want to keep my eyes out for this one.

Top Bottom