PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
I've read that the resident evil 7 Demo is not part of the actual game, is that correct? If yes, should that be played first or does the sequence not matter?
There's The Kitchen, from the first demo disc, which doesn't need to be played at all. It was just a fun tech demo to scare the shit out of people.

Then there was an actual RE7 demo where you essentially play some of the first part of the final game. Some routing is changed up in the final game and the demo doesn't have the complete beginning segment. You can also avoid this demo.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm actually sitting watching a friend play through it in VR for the first time right now. It's great seeing someone react to the scary bits. The aiming in VR mode was a game changer too, it's an extremely quick and accurate control method.
Thats the wrong way to do it.

When you play RE7 in VR, you have to be alone.... and it has to be late at night.

Orta

Apr 26, 2018
Been playing Wipeout VR the past few days. It's a bit meh tbh. Looks stunning of course but it just isn't working for me. Then again, 2097 aside I've never been that big a fan of the series. Always found it too fussy, erratic and unfairly difficult on the higher classes.

Are there any decent arcade racers available?

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
Has anyone tried Surgeon Simulator in VR? I've heard that controls were awful at launch but maybe those issues have been patched?
At launch, when your virtual hand was coming in contact with an object (like the body), a skeleton hand model would show up as a visual indicator to let you know that you pushed your hand too far in that direction. Very casual gamers couldn't come to grips with the understanding that their hands couldn't go through objects and didn't understand the visual indicator.

So they patched it to make it so the hands would physically collide with objects instead. It's probably an improvement, but it can make it more difficult to do fine-tuned movements because it almost feels like your hand gets "stuck" on ribs and things.

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
I actually didn't know there were 2 versions. so i don't know, sorry. how would i know?
V1 has a sort of connection box, which is hanging down your side if you're standing up while playing. There is the risk of getting tangled up and pulling the cables out by accident while playing, disconnecting the headset. V2 has just the cable going to the processing box that should sit next to your TV and console. I think the actual headset itself is the same in terms of the screens, v2 just has less cables to deal with.

Aug 25, 2018
V1 has a sort of connection box, which is hanging down your side if you're standing up while playing. There is the risk of getting tangled up and pulling the cables out by accident while playing, disconnecting the headset. V2 has just the cable going to the processing box that should sit next to your TV and console. I think the actual headset itself is the same in terms of the screens, v2 just has less cables to deal with.
Not enough is made of the cabling advantages of V2. The cable is also much thinner than V1, it's essentially the thickness off a 3.5mm audio cable and disappears off into the background unlike the V1. I upgraded to V2 not knowing this and was totally delighted!

Jan 18, 2018
Not enough is made of the cabling advantages of V2. The cable is also much thinner than V1, it's essentially the thickness off a 3.5mm audio cable and disappears off into the background unlike the V1. I upgraded to V2 not knowing this and was totally delighted!
Is the headphone-jack ON the headset in V2? The tangling with the little box and the vertically placed jack is the one thing that i don't like about V1's cableing. The thicker, sturdier cable/s are very welcome...

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Started playing Mage's Tale and so far it's great. First impressions: It's pretty much your classic dungeon crawler, think eye of the beholder, lands of lore, stonekeep, dungeon master kind of game with rooms full of fantasy creatures to kill and puzzles to solve, with plenty of hidden and not so hidden secrets to uncover. You can't play any other class than mage, hence the name, and apart from one npc to guide me around I haven't met any npc to interact with other than via fireball.

The puzzles so far were either simple logic and switch puzzles and some physics based ones. Combat is fun, literally throwing fireballs didn't get old yet. There are free movement and turning options, but in terms of comfort options I would have hoped for some more. The standard movement speed is pretty high and might be a bit much for newcomers to vr. At some stairs I also got kind of stuck with free movement already, which can usually be sorted out by the also available teleport.

Tracking and interacting with items works great so far, only at these music boxes (Mt version of lock picking) the controller sometimes causes issues. Graphics and sound are fantastic, this game is one of the best looking psvr titles I've played (Red matter looked better, but it's also much slower paced and without fantasy creatures running around trying to murder me) . Might be helped by the fact that the dungeons are (so far) not consisting of too large rooms.

Looking forward to what is coming up next.

Nov 19, 2018
Ok, then i have v2 then :)

I'm toying the idea with purchasing one as I've have been awarded a gift card with £150.00 from my company. Looking to purchase the mega bundle that includes Doom VFR, Skyrim, Astrobot, VR World and Wipeout which is priced at £299.00 so I feel this is a good starting point and good amount of games for me to try out.

Jan 14, 2018
I'm toying the idea with purchasing one as I've have been awarded a gift card with £150.00 from my company. Looking to purchase the mega bundle that includes Doom VFR, Skyrim, Astrobot, VR World and Wipeout which is priced at £299.00 so I feel this is a good starting point and good amount of games for me to try out.
That's a great bundle, is that the one that comes with move controllers?

I'd recommend going at the games in the following order:
VR World (it's more short "experiences" that help you get accustomed to the headset)
AstroBot (my GOTY 2018!)
Skyrim (has plenty of comfort options and great flexibility, perhaps one of the better games with free movement to start with)
Wipeout and Doom only once you got used to the free movement in Skyrim and are ready to take off the training wheels ;)

Important not to "push through" when you start feeling a bit uncomfortable, have regular breaks, it will take your brain a bit to get used to it. But after a while you can spend entire afternoons with the headset, no problem. I've now tried a few PCVR alternatives and so far I find the PSVR the most comfortable headset to wear.

That's a great bundle, is that the one that comes with move controllers?

I'd recommend going at the games in the following order:
VR World (it's more short "experiences" that help you get accustomed to the headset)
AstroBot (my GOTY 2018!)
Skyrim (has plenty of comfort options and great flexibility, perhaps one of the better games with free movement to start with)
Wipeout and Doom only once you got used to the free movement in Skyrim and are ready to take off the training wheels ;)

Important not to "push through" when you start feeling a bit uncomfortable, have regular breaks, it will take your brain a bit to get used to it. But after a while you can spend entire afternoons with the headset, no problem. I've now tried a few PCVR alternatives and so far I find the PSVR the most comfortable headset to wear.
Sadly not. I missed out on a "Black Friday" deal when they was selling that bundle with move controllers for like £285.00! Had a big holiday to pay off at that point so I skipped.

I've played on VR plenty of times so my brain already knows to expect. ;)

Jan 14, 2018
Sadly not. I missed out on a "Black Friday" deal when they was selling that bundle with move controllers for like £285.00!
It's worth to have a look at e-bay in this case, old PS3 move controllers work exactly the same as for the PS4 and are much cheaper to get.

Had a big holiday to pay off at that point so I skipped.
I have a wedding to pay for, so no Nintendo Switch for me this year ;)