• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Shmunter

As a person that has a 4k / RGB / HDR TV, the moment the PU box allows 4k HDR pass through is the moment I buy VR.

Hopefully their next hardware revision of it allows that.

The v2 version of PSVR is full hdr passthrough. I know, I updated for that reason from the v1.

Also the cabling is about 80% thinner making it a much much better wearable device. Night and day for me as I like to stand playing.

The v2 version of PSVR is full hdr passthrough. I know, I updated for that reason from the v1.

Also the cabling is about 80% thinner making it a much much better wearable device. Night and day for me as I like to stand playing.

it's got HDR passthrough, but not 4K HDR I think

so, i had my first VR experience ever with the PSVR last night.

oh. my. sweet. baby. bajesus. it was in-fucking-credible!

nothing could have prepared me for how mind blowing that was going to be. nothing.

so, i will try to put into words what my experience was like, although it's utterly impossible for someone to "explain" vr to you (i totally get why people say that now lol), i will just run through my thoughts and feelings as they happened last night... im pretty care free with spelling, grammar and punctuation if you havent noticed, sorry 🤷‍♂️ not easy on the eyes but its easier to type like this on desktop...

TL;DR at bottom...

so, i had set everything up and i planned to just take a quick spin after dinner with the fam last night. so I came home, did the last bit of setup, and finally got to the point where they want you to put the head set on and adjust it and all that. so, immediately, you see the screen floating in front of you. and i was like, ok thats pretty cool, nothing too crazy impressive, but hey there it is i'm in vr :messenger_beaming:.... uhhhh no no no sir, i was not in vr yet, lol, not even close.

so after i got everything adjusted on my head, which took time and patience, and i have a big head so the head set was tight, but i did everything exactly like the setup told me to and got to a semi-comfortable position. then i put some head phones on and started to really feel comfortable. i have a decent pair of audio tech's fully over the ear, not ear buds. the combination of the vr headset and the phones being snug over my head like that made me feel like i was wearing a vr helmet. not sure how to explain it, but it sort of primed me for the experience and i felt like i was "finally" ready to experience vr. i dunno how to explain it, maybe its cause i was high? lol i dunno, but it was like i was in the cockpit of the space ship and something really cool was about to happen.

so i press x, it says congrats you're ready to go, and this huge theatre size flat screen appears before me and i am blown the fuck away. it was huge, it looked great (little bit blurry but not nearly as bad as i heard some people complain), and i could fucking look around at it and... mind blown is all i can say. i let out a genuine, authentic "oh my god" for the first time since i don't even know, since i was a little kid? it was fucking magical.... and that was only the home screen :messenger_grinning_sweat:

so already, before i even touched an actual game, i was having one of the best video game experiences of my life, and i knew it... no fuck that, just one of the best entertainment experiences of my life. period. and it was only the home screen lmao.

so, i do some more messing around in the menus, calibrating vr setting, took the head set off and put it back on a couple more times. i really tried to remember all the advice those ITT gave me (thanks y'all) and what i saw on youtube videos and read on the internet. and i got the thing pretty dialed in, i think i could get it even better, but i got it to a point where i was comfortably sit near the end of my bed, pillows at my back, and i giant theatre sized screen in front of my face. now, i was ready to head into a game.

there was a vr worlds demo game or something that came with my bundle (or maybe it comes with all vr, i dunno, but i was eager to jump in so i clciked it), loaded it up (which was surprisingly fast, kudos to sony and friends), and started the game...

what came next... i legit am having trouble finding the words, but it was like that moment when you're a little kid and you experience something so new and so amazing that you're kind of just stunned, mouth agape, just like taken aback and you don't even know what to do with yourself. it was utterly overwhelming and i mean that in the best way possible.

whatever that opening screen is for vr worlds, the way it just opened up and transported me into a whole fucking virtual space (not just flat home screen!) was sheer insanity. i couldnt believe it. the level of "oh my god" i experienced just from seeing the flat home screen was nothing compared to this. there was a little robot flying all around me, i could look anywhere, i felt like i was really in that space, it was just, ugh, it was marvelous. simply incredible.

and i wasnt even at the games menu screen yet lol, this was just the first few seconds as things started to appear and unfold. i cant even remember how everything happened because i was so shocked. so i wont try to explain that initial feeling of being in a vr space bc you just have to experience it for yourself to really get it. just... overwhelming is the best word, but not overwhelming in a bad way, like overwhelming in the most positive way you can imagine. it was fuckin beautiful.

so i get to the menu screen, my mind is blowing fucking doors lol, im still just looking around at everything, literally saying out loud "oh my fucking god" over an over, my mouth was going back and forth from jaw on the floor to giant, open-mouth, retard smile every few seconds and i was honestly just still in shock, i couldn't shake that feeling and it was awesome!

at this point, i almost don't know what to do with myself. i'm like ricky bobby in talladega nights when he doenst know what to do with his hands lmao. but i move on and finally get to the screen where all of the world are floating in front of you, which looks insane of course. and i randomly pick one.

it was some kind of crane game machine that wasn't particularly fun, and kind of confusing, but im glad i picked it bc there wasnt any movement and it helped me get my feet wet. the first orb i picked up was a green dino, and it opened up and seemingly did nothing. and i thought to msyelf "hm, well that was underwhelming but whatever, moving on!". so i start picking up more orbs and out come these little guys and they are being placed around this little room i'm in, doing fun/cute little things and running amuck. it was so much fun just watching them do shit. then i hear something gong on behind me and i'm like "no fucking way!" so i turn around (!!!) and holy shit there is an army of little robots behind me, and then they start waving at me (!!!) and i literally screamed "holy fuckin shit thats so cool!"... and then i got a trophy! this vr experience just kept delivering every second. i legit was not expecting this level of amazingness and mind blowingness... and then i think to myself, "wait a minute..... if there's shit behind me... then what's above me!?". so i look up and towering above me, larger and more massive than i ever could have imagined was THE GREEN DINO FROM EARLIER!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

it was fucking... just.... ugh, i have no words, i have no fucking words. it was so good.

so i finish that and move onto what i believe was an astrobot demo? im not sure, like i said i was still in such shock at how amazing the experience was that it was almost a blur. but it was a platformer where you controlled a little robot dude and tried to save other little robot dudes. and it was definitely just a demo.

so, remember how i said earlier that seeing the flat home screen was mind blowing, then vr worlds opening took it to the next level.... welp, buckle your seat belts ladies and gentlemen, bc video games as you know them is about the change forever.

playing this fucking game... it just opened up sooooo many possibilities for what video games can be. and im not just talking about "playing" games. no no no it could be so much more than that. i just dont get how people can say that vr doesnt have a future (i can understand that its not for everyone, and therefore isnt necessarily the future, but it absolutely is an evolution that is here to stay). i also remember looking down into a chasm for the first time and feeling that "oh shit im gonna fall" feeling, which was fun. i did get a teeny, tiny, almost unnoticeable bit of motion sickness, but it was passing and i didnt really feel it too much more after that. which was a huge relief for me. i had a blast with this game and im really looking forward to playing more of it (i believe my bundle came with the full game).

i checked out all of the other worlds and had a blast with those too. i shot a massive gun at these block monsters, drove around in a hover car and blew up shit, zipped across a giant big slide in some kind of colorful and super trippy rhythm game, i dont even know, i was just having the time of my life. i legit remember thinking and feeling that i havent had that much fun with video games since i was a little kid. it was really like that though, i was like a kid in in toys r us who was at the store for the first time ever. thats the best way i can describe how i felt.

i moved on to a demo disc that had a ton of other fun shit on it. one of them was "kitchen" which i guess is like a re7 demo, and noped right tf outta that lol. ill be playing re7 soon enough, but i wasnt ready for that at midnight in my apartment by myself last night.

i then came on to a demo called "moss" (i think) and oh my god it was so charming and fun. and then i started thinking about what adventure games and rpg could be like and my brain was just exploding with ideas and possibilities they can do with vr. i was solving puzzles not just by moving my mouse guy around the world, but by being in the world with him, doing shit along side him. many times i actaully had to sit up, stick my head further into the play space, and peak around some corners or tree and find secret hidden shit. it was fucking awesome.

fucking. awesome.

ugh, sorry for the text book guys... i was so excited i wanted to crank this out last night but i decided to get some sleep lol.

after that i checked out a few other things, watched some netflix in vr and then called it a night. in all i probably spent two hours (with a couple breaks, bc the head set was so tight it gave me a bit of a head ache).

i keep bringing up feeling like a little kid again, bc i dont know how else to describe the level of shock and awe i was feeling. not sure how else i can describe all of this... maybe with more playtime ill find something to complain about lol. for now, im just enjoying the shit out of this.

TL;DR - it was the one of the best, if not THE best video game experience of my life. i havent felt that level of excitement since i was a child. it was refreshing to feel like that again. im all in on VR and cant wait to see what the years to come have in store.

thanks to Shmunter Shmunter , @INCUBASE, @Impotaku, @Bankai, Romulus Romulus (<especially helpful, thanks dood!), @PaddyOCanager and Grinchy Grinchy for all the help, guidance and tips

loading up skyrim today! gonna take it real slow as others have suggested and see how it goes. might even dive into re7 if im still feeling comfortable with everything.

i'm still open for tips, suggestions and what not. a couple things im trying to address is the tightness of the head set, and sometimes i feels like i have to look down when i have the vr headset on (maybe i need to adjust the camera angle?), and other minor playspace issues like the screen seemed tilted to the left or right, or my controller orientation got off while playing game that reuired you to use the controller as a tool. but these things were only minor issues, i didnt have any real major problems. but still, any help there would still be much appreciated.

thanks again!

oh yeah, that's a legit first VR impression. Mine was pretty much the same with demo disc 2.

From the Show Us Your PlayStation 2019 Wrap-Up & Get Rewards! thread, we can see how many hours we have put into PSVR during last year. What's yours?

0xGf2gh.jpg

I reckon No Man's Sky was the main culprit for at least a good third of those hours in VR.

365 hours

and I guess even more in this cancelled quarentine year

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like I've been neglecting the hell out of my PSVR lately. To be fair, I haven't really been playing much of anything in the last couple months, but

I have gotten back into Minecraft ever since the 1.15 Java update and a hardcore world

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I feel like I've been neglecting the hell out of my PSVR lately. To be fair, I haven't really been playing much of anything in the last couple months, but

I have gotten back into Minecraft ever since the 1.15 Java update and a hardcore world
there are rumors of psvr minecraft. id be happy to buy it again to experience it in vr... hopefully it doesnt look like shit though

Grinchy

Banned
there are rumors of psvr minecraft. id be happy to buy it again to experience it in vr... hopefully it doesnt look like shit though
I've been hoping for that for years. It'd be great. The Bedrock version on PC has official VR support, and PS4 was updated to Bedrock a while ago, so I've been even more hopeful ever since that happened.

Bedrock isn't quite as good as the Java version but I'd definitely switch over if it got a PSVR port.

Operencia got a psvr mode. Mildly entertaining. Yeah, classic Wizardry-like dungeon crawling. But we're so past that. We're past even Skyrim, which brought dungeon crawling to great heights in dreadful VR real time tough battles.

still, it's there. I've played Crystal Rift, got to dungeon 12 or so and got bored. Hopefully this looks better and more varied. Still, turn based battles in VR...

Last edited:

Romulus

Which game will sell the most PSVRs, Iron Man or Star Wars? Will be difficult to tell the exact numbers of Star Wars because it's also nonVR.

RavageX

Any news on PS5 VR at all? This is the deciding factor on my getting a PS5 sooner than later.

Last edited:

pixelation

On one hand... I don't suffer from motion sickness when playing VR (completed that alien game in VR Worlds with no problem, play Wipeout with zero VR sickness), on the other hand I also don't feel vertigo or all those other sweet VR induced sensations... :(

Wonko_C

Any news on PS5 VR at all? This is the deciding factor on my getting a PS5 sooner than later.
So far all that is known is that the current PSVR will work with PS5. Nothing has been said about if there will be enhancements for PS4VR BC games, which to me is the deciding factor. If they manage to bump up the resolution and framerate for PSVR games I'll buy the PS5 sooner. Some games really need it: RE7 running at 540p on a standard PS4 (according to NX Gamer), No Man's Sky 720p (and that one has serious performance issues), Blood & Truth 720p, etc.

PSVR2 seems to be at least 2 years away. They haven't confirmed nor denied that they're working on a successor but there was a CNet article where one could infer they're already hard at work on a successor:

Don't expect a new PSVR to launch alongside PS5

"There's no reason for us to coincide it with a new console. From the point of view of the consumer, to be bombarded with many many things -- oh, you have to buy this, you have to buy that -- is a message that we don't want to send. In some ways, it's good to have a little breathing space between those things."

Last edited:

Wonko_C

On one hand... I don't suffer from motion sickness when playing VR (completed that alien game in VR Worlds with no problem, play Wipeout with zero VR sickness), on the other hand I also don't feel vertigo or all those other sweet VR induced sensations... :(
That's me exactly. I am also amazed/jealous at people saying "I don't remember playing a game, I remember being there", yet to me it doesn't matter if the game is flat or VR, I always remember it as watching everything unfold on a screen... I even remember real life moments that same way. :messenger_anxious:

Last edited:
some random thoughts about recent VR news:

Nvdia already have their AI-assisted upscaling too. This looks very impressive and this performance-saving trend is likely to help a lot nextgen consoles to get 4K and also VR.

besides AI-assisted upscaling, the next best performance optimization for VR is also foveated rendering with eye-tracking and a recent Sony patent seems to imply that PSVR2 will need eye-tracking

let them have their ads if eye-tracking and AI-upscaling combined can theoretically mean better graphics in VR than even in nextgen flat games, given you only need to render where the player is actively looking at...

tomorrow Iron-Man is out, but I'll save it for PS5 and no loading screens, sorry.

Wonko_C

I cheked out the Fate: Grand Order VR experience. It's just one of those "your waifu talks to you for 10 minutes" demos for fans of the anime, but it has one badass part where you're attacked by a giant dragon. The character you're with then pulls out a big sword and starts slashing and shooting energy attacks.

The first thing that came to mind was "gimme a VR turn-based JRPG!". Imagine standing alongside the characters and fighting monsters, giving commands to the characters in turn battles, watching the crazy spells and summons in that scale.

pN6ahSW.jpg

vader-immortal-a-star-wars-vr-series-screen-04-ps4-28apr20-en-us

no set date yet but summer. TWD SS devs said spring and spring it was, right at the end :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Rudius

some random thoughts about recent VR news:

Nvdia already have their AI-assisted upscaling too. This looks very impressive and this performance-saving trend is likely to help a lot nextgen consoles to get 4K and also VR.

besides AI-assisted upscaling, the next best performance optimization for VR is also foveated rendering with eye-tracking and a recent Sony patent seems to imply that PSVR2 will need eye-tracking

let them have their ads if eye-tracking and AI-upscaling combined can theoretically mean better graphics in VR than even in nextgen flat games, given you only need to render where the player is actively looking at...

tomorrow Iron-Man is out, but I'll save it for PS5 and no loading screens, sorry.

I will save Iron Man for PS5 as well. The game is good, plays well and looks nice, but the loadings are long and frequent. There is also some pop-in when flying too fast. Can't really blame the devs for those problems, it's just a hardware limitation. The PS5 is so much faster that it will fix this problems even without a patch.

There is surprisingly a good amount of releases this for PSVR, which together with the backlog will keep me occupied until then.

engstra

Superhot: Mind Control Delete is gonna be free for all owners of the original. No PSVR support for now but hopefully that will arrive in time!

Resenge

Superhot: Mind Control Delete is gonna be free for all owners of the original. No PSVR support for now but hopefully that will arrive in time!
Unless I'm missing something I don't expect PSVR support for this game, Superhot and Superhot VR are very different.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Super Hot VR sold more than 2 million copies and made more revenue than the flat version. Now they're back to flat and are gifting a copy of the game to everyone who purchased the original? It's like they hate money.

it won't arrive, never did for the original game. SH VR is not a port of the original game

Btw, I'm not a fan of this intro VR game

only mildly related to psvr:

srsly, for such low price there's a lot of interesting tech in the package. The Lenovo Mirage AR headset does remind the Quest, Valve Knuckles and psvr:

bzuY7CT.jpg

Lenovo did get a license from Sony to explore the halo design of psvr and I wonder if they also granted them something related to LED-tracking?

anyway, Sony also came up with their own AR headset in Japan for a Ghostbusters arcade attraction. I have a feeling they won't shy away from AR applications for psvr2 - may very well be a headset for both VR and AR (or XR) and simply be called PSXR.

real AR needs scanning your environment to lay information and graphics upon it, this cheap headset does nothing like that. You cover its front view and you have a regular VR game, except it's got no in-game backgrounds...

Shmunter

I
only mildly related to psvr:

srsly, for such low price there's a lot of interesting tech in the package. The Lenovo Mirage AR headset does remind the Quest, Valve Knuckles and psvr:

bzuY7CT.jpg

Lenovo did get a license from Sony to explore the halo design of psvr and I wonder if they also granted them something related to LED-tracking?

anyway, Sony also came up with their own AR headset in Japan for a Ghostbusters arcade attraction. I have a feeling they won't shy away from AR applications for psvr2 - may very well be a headset for both VR and AR (or XR) and simply be called PSXR.

real AR needs scanning your environment to lay information and graphics upon it, this cheap headset does nothing like that. You cover its front view and you have a regular VR game, except it's got no in-game backgrounds...

I don’t get it, the guy is praising and shitting on it at the same time?

karasu

Its been largely disappointing to me since everything feels like a mini-game at a carnival. I wish they would just give me a regular-ass game with regular-ass objectives but with VR points of view. Enough with the duck hunt shit.

Romulus

Its been largely disappointing to me since everything feels like a mini-game at a carnival. I wish they would just give me a regular-ass game with regular-ass objectives but with VR points of view. Enough with the duck hunt shit.

I think you're picking the wrong games. Lots of full games on PSVR. I mean, the pics right above your post prove that and its missing a bunch of games.

Last edited:

Rudius

Tom from Moore's law is dead said that the PS5 SOC has customizations specific for VR, related to making rendering 2 images simultaneously less expensive. Don't know if it's true, but I want to believe:

(at 37 minutes)

Last edited:

karasu

like Skyrim, Borderlands 2, No Man's Sky or other games only VR owners know about?
True. I kinda overlooked Skyrim because of its general age but yeah, that's one.
Just in those pics theres a space sim, platformer, and shooter in addition to racers. You don't even know what you're looking at and I doubt you even own psvr.
lol come on, man. I'm not gonna pretend to have a PSVR just to disagree with you out of the blue. That is asinine.

ELWZzQ9.jpg

Resenge

lol come on, man. I'm not gonna pretend to have a PSVR just to disagree with you out of the blue. That is asinine.
I agree but there are a few people on Neogaf that have pretended to own a VR headset and it was blatantly obvious that they had never even used one.

Last edited:

karasu

I agree but there are a few people on Neogaf that have pretended to own VR and it was blatantly obvious that they had never even used one.
oh wow. No, I generally like the PSVR but the gaming side has just been a little disappointing despite the fact that It has still made for some amazing experiences. They were just shortlived. For me anyway.

Romulus

True. I kinda overlooked Skyrim because of its general age but yeah, that's one.

ELWZzQ9.jpg

A picture of a psvr is great but you labeled those games as "duck hunt and racers." Thats just way off. That means you're completely unfamiliar with the library, and yet want more games when you can't even positively identify some of the most well known titles. It just doesnt make any sense

Last edited:

ELWZzQ9.jpg

then why complain about psvr shovelware? There is more shovelware on flat PS4 than on psvr.

so why complain about minigames when you could be playing those ports or Farpoint, Astro Bot, Blood and Truth, TWD Saints and Sinners, The Mage's Tale, Golem, The Persistence, etc? It's like you missed all the great full games on psvr to play Carnival Games and the likes...

RavageX

No resident evil? Walking Dead?So far (in my opinion) PSVR has had a decent amount of titles to warrant purchase. I would like a few more fully fleshed out racers and flyers, but not disappointed.

Top Bottom