• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I just got back from a mate's house trying VR for the first time on his PSVR. First thing I did was Batman Arkham VR. I was absolutely blown away. Been interested in VR for a long time, but was not prepared for a) the fidelity of the experience and b) the sense of presence. Really cool stuff.

The second thing was Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, of which I played I think most of the game in one sitting. Really exhilarating. Graphically not quite as impressive as Batman but the sense of presence was definitely there, and there were some very cool moments.

Definitely more excited than ever to get a VR setup of my own.

Kalentan

Hey, I was playing Mortal Blitz and my headphones began to cut out sometimes. Is that a glitch with the game? Or is it possible the headphones they give you with the VR have gone bad? I haven't moved the headset too much since beating RE7 and it worked flawlessly there.

I wonder if more games are doing this because of poor sales or if it was in the plans all along.

Unsure really, it's also on Vive/Rift and they've brought the changes to PC too. I assume the fact it never really needed VR to work and possibly lower sales than expected.

Maligna

Banned
I just got back from a mate's house trying VR for the first time on his PSVR. First thing I did was Batman Arkham VR. I was absolutely blown away. Been interested in VR for a long time, but was not prepared for a) the fidelity of the experience and b) the sense of presence. Really cool stuff.

The second thing was Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, of which I played I think most of the game in one sitting. Really exhilarating. Graphically not quite as impressive as Batman but the sense of presence was definitely there, and there were some very cool moments.

Love hearing first timers impressions. Glad you had fun!

WITHE1982

Yup. Batman is definitely my go-to game when it comes to showing off VR to my mates. That or maybe The Kitchen demo.

Now time for you to try RE7 and never sleep again.

Thorrgal

Tonite I'll have my first VR experience, starting the REVII campaign with a friend (his PSVR)...really excited!

PS: I tend to get motionsickness in boats and cars pretty easyly so a bit worried about that

Tailzo

Isnt it 20 dollars??

How is it?

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to try Fruit Ninja for PS VR yet, but I tried it on HTC Vive room scale, and it was a very simple, yet fun game. And at the time, one of the games that felt like it did hand movement tracking the best of the games I was able to try.

I hope I'll have time to try this weekend.

FDC1

3 new VR "experiences" from the same publisher today in the EU stores:

-Atomic Ghost Fleet: £3.69/€4.49 (18mn)
-Cocos Shark Island: £3.69/€4.49 (11mn)
-David Attenborough’s First Life: £5.35/€6.49 (15mn)

Quite expensive for the length proposed

Planet

And the first two are also just 2D videos. Very crappy all around. Even if they were free I'd consider them a mild polution to the store library.

My hope is that the sales stay in the low single digit area. Preferably below 1.

Tailzo

3 new VR "experiences" from the same publisher today in the EU stores:

-Atomic Ghost Fleet: £3.69/€4.49 (18mn)
-Cocos Shark Island: £3.69/€4.49 (11mn)
-David Attenborough’s First Life: £5.35/€6.49 (15mn)

Quite expensive for the length proposed

But David Attenborough in VR.....

Maligna

Banned
Tonite I'll have my first VR experience, starting the REVII campaign with a friend (his PSVR)...really excited!

PS: I tend to get motionsickness in boats and cars pretty easyly so a bit worried about that

Nooooo. DO NOT PLAY REVII as your first VR experience. It's what would be categorized as an intense VR experience. It's very likely to make you sick and then you'll never want to play VR again.

Tumble was made for VR. Dat physicality.
I've been tempted to get this ever since the tracking was improved with the firmware update.

Bought "I Expect you to Die!" really fun 007 room escape game :D
This was my friends first experience with any sort of video. You can see his reaction here.

Herocade joins the already big Xoming This Month lineup

it's launching April 18
Is this thae hand with bundle of 15 mini-games?

Fox1304

I've been tempted to get this ever since the tracking was improved with the firmware update.
You can, it's pretty cheap, and the game reaches a new level with the VR + Move combo. It's a clever puzzle game, with that added physicality that makes it become something unique.

WITHE1982

Honestly I'd not go for RE7 as your first VR game if that's the case. I tried it my first night and ended up suffering with nausea for a couple of hours. TBH you'll be able to tell just from the calibration room if it's going to effect you.

You can ease into it over time and I now happily play it for hours, but as you suffer from car/motion sickness I'd give it a wide birth for now. You could always download The Kitchen demo which is very good, but stationary.

I'd personally go for:

Batman Arkham VR
Job Simulator
Playroom VR (maybe not Robot Rescue straight away)
Or Rush Of Blood.

You'll still get the WOW! factor but not feel as bad afterwards.

Sony really needs to develop a full game based on that Robot Rescue engine. I had no idea I even wanted something like that in VR till I played it. On a related topic, are there plans for any more playroom games?

Is Eve Valkyrie worth it as a single player experience? I don't do PS plus( unless I can get it heavily discounted and it's been a few years since seeing a price I was prepared to pay for it).

WITHE1982

Sony really needs to develop a full game based on that Robot Rescue engine. I had no idea I even wanted something like that in VR till I played it. On a related topic, are there plans for any more playroom games?

If you enjoyed Robot Rescue then Mervils: A VR Adventure may be for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJL1aTtDU8k

It's a full on old school 3D platformer and takes about 6-8 to complete. I'm about 2 hours into it and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Just take breaks

I take a break every 10 to 15 minutes I havent used it much so still haven't acclimated really either

But RE is totally legit in VR

Would be a real shame if they don't it's an adorable little game and they could make a really solid full game out of it.

Thorrgal

Honestly I'd not go for RE7 as your first VR game if that's the case. I tried it my first night and ended up suffering with nausea for a couple of hours. TBH you'll be able to tell just from the calibration room if it's going to effect you.

You can ease into it over time and I now happily play it for hours, but as you suffer from car/motion sickness I'd give it a wide birth for now. You could always download The Kitchen demo which is very good, but stationary.

I'd personally go for:

Batman Arkham VR
Job Simulator
Playroom VR (maybe not Robot Rescue straight away)
Or Rush Of Blood.

You'll still get the WOW! factor but not feel as bad afterwards.

Well is not that I have an alternative, as it's my friend's PSVR and we bought the game to play it toguether, switching the headset every 30mins or so.

I guess I could try the X-Wing thing first as I have it for free.

If everything goes to hell I'll play REVII the clasic way and he can play it with the headset I guess

Ps: He also bought Here they lie and Eagle Flight but not gonna try those, heard they are the vomit kings

PPS: They should add a VF on the reviews of the VR games :p

Is Eve Valkyrie worth it as a single player experience? I don't do PS plus( unless I can get it heavily discounted and it's been a few years since seeing a price I was prepared to pay for it).

No. It is a multiplayer focused game. There is a small bit of single player content but each is about as long as the demo mission and is really there just to ease people into the game. Online is really fun and the wormhole update brought a lot more variety but if you don't have PS+ there is little you will get out of the game.

No. It is a multiplayer focused game. There is a small bit of single player content but each is about as long as the demo mission and is really there just to ease people into the game. Online is really fun and the wormhole update brought a lot more variety but if you don't have PS+ there is little you will get out of the game.

Ok thanks. I'm considering re-upping my Ps plus if I somehow can find it for $40 depending on how Star Trek bridge crew turns out, as I'm dying to play that game if it turns out well. So I guess at that point, I'll revisit the idea of getting EVE for MP.

Well is not that I have an alternative, as it's my friend's PSVR and we bought the game to play it toguether, switching the headset every 30mins or so.

I guess I could try the X-Wing thing first as I have it for free.

If everything goes to hell I'll play REVII the clasic way and he can play it with the headset I guess

Ps: He also bought Here they lie and Eagle Flight but not gonna try those, heard they are the vomit kings

PPS: They should add a VF on the reviews of the VR games :p

RE7 should be fine as a first game but spend time with the comfort settings and take the game slow, no need to rush and find what works for you. You might be like me and able to stomach the most intense games with no problem but its always worth taking it slow in the beginning. A pallet cleanser will be good after playing RE7 if its your first VR game to get rid of the tension as there is an adjustment period once you finish playing, especially when you are new and even more so with intense games because you body and mind have been through a lot and needs time to balance out.

This is essentially what I do when people are new to VR: Give them the shark encounter first as they don't need to press anything, brings motion and slowly ramps up the intensity then brings them down again. Then Rush of Blood looking for how they handle the drops and if they handle small jump scares. Then put them in free play Eagle Flight. usually by the time they can play Eagle Flight for extended periods there is little that will bother them.

Retro_Stew

So... Matpat released the first ever 8K 360° video on Youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHyxNybbQCk

I tried to watch it on the PSVR (PS4 not PS4 pro), but it looks crappy as hell, and no way to change the settings in the Youtube App.

Any way to download the 360 video in mp4 format easily, to play it with the media player?

Planet

Yeah, I'm sure Job Simulator is perfectly suited for playing on TV. As is The Playroom VR, just put it in spilt screen, same fun.

Just seen that Tethered is getting a new Untethered patch that allows it to be played without VR.

Alongside non-VR support, the new update includes two new control methods, adds dusk and dawn checkpoint style save and divine slow-motion and fast-forward features so players can control the title at their own pace and for Playstation 4 Pro players with a suitable TV, Tethered has been upgraded with native 4k resolution at 60fps – but it’s only available in ‘Untethered’ mode.

Really enjoyed Tethered, good to see that everyone will be able to play the game soon.

alemmon

So my friend just let me borrow his for a few months because he is so busy and wanted someone to get some use out of it.

London Heist is a blast. The gun play is pretty fun for it being a first gen VR game.

Playroom VR is a ton of fun too!

Another friend let me borrow Rush of Blood and Batman VR so I will give those a shot this weekend. I am thinking of buying Job Simulator as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Would be a real shame if they don't it's an adorable little game and they could make a really solid full game out of it.

This is one area that Sony is not great in. Nintendo is great at realizing a product and then showing you why you will need it with great 1st party software. Sony.....not so much if it's not a console.

When it comes to the MOVE controller release, VR, and handhelds they don't put all their software weight, money, and attention on it like they should. I'd say that if it was Nintendo the 3D platformer game would have been its own game and not like a 30 minute master piece that would have us begging for more.

Of course at the same time, Nintendo has their flaws where Sony excels in. Give and take I guess. :-/

Love hearing first timers impressions. Glad you had fun!

Thanks! It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Some of the most impressive moments were small things like peering over a balcony into an alley and instinctively put my hands out onto the balcony ledge to steady myself. Throwing things at Alfred was also god damn hilarious.

I really want to jack back in, heh.

Yup. Batman is definitely my go-to game when it comes to showing off VR to my mates. That or maybe The Kitchen demo.

Now time for you to try RE7 and never sleep again.

I played through RE7 standard and yeah absolutely, that shit would be incredible.

Also, after hearing the general advice of starting off VR with short sessions, I'm pleased that my first experience being a massive hours long session hasn't messed me up at all. And that was with a slightly non-optimal PSVR setup too. I do get pretty badly carsick so it was a concern.

Kyolux

Question for those with 4k tvs. Are the psvr default hdmi wires good enough for a 4k tv? I've been getting blackouts during vr gameplay on my new tv.

Grinchy

Banned
Unsure really, it's also on Vive/Rift and they've brought the changes to PC too. I assume the fact it never really needed VR to work and possibly lower sales than expected.

It's such a great game that it would break my heart a little bit if the sales were poor.

Question for those with 4k tvs. Are the psvr default hdmi wires good enough for a 4k tv? I've been getting blackouts during vr gameplay on my new tv.
Have you tried turning off HDCP in the system settings? That typically solves the blackout issue. You have to turn it back on to use Netflix and stuff.

Top Bottom