• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Bastion

I put about 2 hours into this. It is fantastic. It's like The Last Express in VR.

The Invisible Hours is so good! It really is my favorite PSVR game that I have played. Would love more games like this.

My one issue is how do you save? I got through Chapter one with about 5 of the characters and then shut down my PS4. When I went back to the game, I had to start over. Not too happy about this issue.

Launching tomorrow, not sure if I should get this.

37269221160_5cdbb1238e_b.jpg

36817578094_cfc4f8628b_b.jpg

36817577764_ca633dfcf2_b.jpg

NHA is one of my favorites series, so in for this. Do we know the price?

Humus Erectus

Neo Member
Thinking about picking up the revised model when it launches here tomorrow. Only headset I own is gear vr, what are the must haves right now, and do I need move controllers to get the most out of them? I have a pro btw.

MattAces

Thinking about picking up the revised model when it launches here tomorrow. Only headset I own is gear vr, what are the must haves right now, and do I need move controllers to get the most out of them? I have a pro btw.

Pro is a great start. And yes, you NEED Move. I would throw that as a mandatory need now with so many games requiring them.
You may consider adding Aim controller in your collection later on if you have the extra money.

Recommendation?
Statik, I Expect You To Die, Farpoint with Aim, Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, Dick Wilde, Bound Shattered Kingdom, Superhot VR, Thumper and much more. Those are just what I remembered.

Near future?
Bravo Team, The Inpatient, The Persistence, Skyrim, Doom, Dreams

Humus Erectus

Neo Member
Pro is a great start. And yes, you NEED Move. I would throw that as a mandatory need now with so many games requiring them.
You may consider adding Aim controller in your collection later on if you have the extra money.
Thanks, is that one or two move controllers as a must?

MattAces

Thanks, is that one or two move controllers as a must?

Two, only the one with ball since you need two arms in game.

Recommendation?
Statik, I Expect You To Die, Farpoint with Aim, Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, Dick Wilde, Bound Shattered Kingdom, Superhot VR, Thumper and much more. Those are just what I remembered.

Near future?
Bravo Team, The Inpatient, The Persistence, Skyrim, Doom, Dreams

Skittles

So I saw far point on clearance for $15 at Target. Is this worth getting to play without the aim controller.

Fits right in with Big Mac ps4 pro
Nope, not even sure if the game runs without an aim controller though. AIM controller makes that game
Should be around $30, physical copy available too, at least in Asia.
This is very tempting because I wanted Dino Frontier but the length/easiness of it killed me interest. This loooks like it may fix both of my problems
Must have games so far:
Superhot
Raw Data
Resident Evil 7
Statik
Wildlands
Dick Wilde
I Expect You To Die
Batman (short though)
All require move except RE7

MattAces

This is very tempting because I wanted Dino Frontier but the length/easiness of it killed me interest. This loooks like it may fix both of my problems

Dino Frontier is fantastic in its presentation. Looks great, sounds great, plays great.
Too bad the game is WAY too linear for its genre. The entire game felt like a long tutorial for a full fledged RTS.
That being said, I still think people should take a look at that game when it's on sale.
It's one of the most charming game and the tower defense part is surprisingly fun. That is pretty much the only part where gameplay is dynamic unlike the whole building part.

If you are looking for a more gameplay freedom RTS, Tethered is fantastic. Though, it gets repetitive on the later mission. Very lengthy game. I'll wait and see how NHA VR pans out, hopefully it's a game with depth.

Awww shit, my local store has it already.

MattAces

Kowloon's Gate VR Suzaku launching next week in Japan

https://youtu.be/28JcK7_SZlk
https://youtu.be/VL3NniTrNIE

Tried the demo, the game is god damn hideous, texture quality are bad. But the atmosphere is fantastic.
Spooky vibe and darkness.

And the initial setup/starting screen is among the worst of the worst.
It's extremely confusing where in certain screen you need to take off your headset and go through some screen before wearing it. I tried for 10 minutes, had to look up for a guide.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The Invisible Hours is so good! It really is my favorite PSVR game that I have played. Would love more games like this.

My one issue is how do you save? I got through Chapter one with about 5 of the characters and then shut down my PS4. When I went back to the game, I had to start over. Not too happy about this issue.

Same thing happened to me -- the saves are actually stored as a ticket. My second playthrough I just grabbed a new ticket and stuck it in the machine without thinking about it and thought I lost my progress - it's still there. If you wanna make sure the save sticks, turn around from the pause menu and go out the exit door.

Oh yeah, THE INVISIBLE HOURS IS SO FUCKING GOOD, holy god, I can't even imagine how you'd begin writing something like this. I did a run following the main character last night for about an hour; tonight I tracked all the side characters through their narratives and HOLY SHIT THIS GOT REAL WEIRD REAL FAST.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Kowloon's Gate VR Suzaku launching next week in Japan

https://youtu.be/28JcK7_SZlk
https://youtu.be/VL3NniTrNIE

Tried the demo, the game is god damn hideous, texture quality are bad. But the atmosphere is fantastic.
Spooky vibe and darkness.

And the initial setup/starting screen is among the worst of the worst.
It's extremely confusing where in certain screen you need to take off your headset and go through some screen before wearing it. I tried for 10 minutes, had to look up for a guide.

Oh lord WHAT IS THIS GAME. It looks like they ported over the PSone assets and there ya go.

Happy anniversary to all you other day one PSVR owners.

I second that. Can't believe it's a year already, that went fast!

This time last year I was anxiously waiting for the Amazon delivery guy with a stack of freebies and Battlezone downloaded and ready to go.

The highlights for me were BZ co-op, RE7, Farpoint, Dirt Rally and Statik, but there's so many others. It's been a hell of a year for a new platform.

MattAces

I second that. Can't believe it's a year already, that went fast!

This time last year I was anxiously waiting for the Amazon delivery guy with a stack of freebies and Battlezone downloaded and ready to go.

The highlights for me were BZ co-op, RE7, Farpoint, Dirt Rally and Statik, but there's so many others. It's been a hell of a year for a new platform.

This time last year, I was arranging a leave from my Internship to pick up my PSVR 250 miles away. Just to find out it was delayed country-wide for 2 weeks.
Funny how when I preordered this and picked it up, I was fully prepared for the "use 3 months at max and toss it aside". Probably won't even care about the news/community.
One year later, I'm even more active on PSVR stuff.

somme

My setup meets all these requirements, but London Heist and especially LethalVR have never worked 100% perfect no matter what I do. I also have ocassional, random issues with drifting on Farpoint and wonky calibration when aiming upwards. Tbh the only mostly hassle free experiences I've had with psvr have been headset-only games like RIGS, Driveclub and Dirt Rally. So I'm kinda nervous about getting Raw Data even though it looks great.

Lethal VR wouldn't have worked because it's absolutely awful.

Best game to check your set-up is Pixel Gear. It's relatively cheap and fun but the motion controls are absolutely perfect. If that game doesn't work well the problem is on your end.

So glad to see some hype for The Invisible Hours in here. It’s not the best looking VR game, but the writing is top drawer.

Such a unique experience — and it’s the kind of storytelling only possible in games.

MattAces

Just noticed that Bound is discounted to £6.49 on the UK store. Been waiting for a good deal to pick it up. Sold!

Probably a bad idea to pick it up.
The game is fantastic especially in VR, but it was part of PS+ last month for Asia.
So....

Anyway I take back everything I said about Bishop in Raw Data. He may not be the most powerful/fresh character in VR games, but GOD DAMN after getting dual pistol and more abilities, it's the craziest experience ever. Especially now I'm used to the control.

Lakuza

The game is fantastic especially in VR, but it was part of PS+ last month for Asia.
So....

Anyway I take back everything I say about Bishop in Raw Data. He may not be the most powerful/fresh character in VR games, but GOD DAMN after getting dual pistol and more abilities, it's the craziest experience ever. Especially now I'm used to the control.

yeah they did a good job at making every class feel amazing once leveled up :)

chippy13

That's because some aspects of vision that develop in early age are disrupted by VR headsets.

One of these is the way we naturally match focus and the angle of our eyes. In the real world when you look at a close object your eyes point inwards and there is an automatic muscle response that makes your focus shorten (and then very quickly adjusts to the perfect focus once your brain interprets what it is seeing). This is constantly going on as you look at objects at varying distances.

In VR the screen is always at a fixed distance and therefore your eyes are always focused at that fixed distance. To provide depth in the scene the objects are drawn at varying horizontal spacing to provide the same angles as the object would have in the real world. So your eyes point inwards when looking at close objects as they do in the real world and your automatic focus kicks in but is wrong so your brain adjusts to focus on the fixed distance screen. After time in VR your brain learns not to make the automatic focus adjustment. When you finish playing a game in VR your brain takes a short while to get back into the automatic focus mode again.

What you don't want to do is reduce the effectiveness of this automatic focus in the development stages of a child. So for younger kids I'd restrict the amount of time spent in VR.

Thanks for this. I don’t think I have ever had it fully explained so well before why kids should avoid VR. All anyone has ever said before is “Its just not good for them to play.” I have an 8yr old and a 5yr old and my eldest always wants to try my PSVR when he sees me using it. I would let her m play for a few minutes and then tell him he had to stop because he is too young and he would always say “But these games aren’t scary at all Dad.” I would tell him it’s not good for his brain to play it and he would come back with “Is that why you are like that?”.

Lakuza

Thanks for this. I don’t think I have ever had it fully explained so well before why kids should avoid VR. All anyone has ever said before is “Its just not good for them to play.” I have an 8yr old and a 5yr old and my eldest always wants to try my PSVR when he sees me using it. I would let her m play for a few minutes and then tell him he had to stop because he is too young and he would always say “But these games aren’t scary at all Dad.” I would tell him it’s not good for his brain to play it and he would come back with “Is that why you are like that?”.

lol XD kids can be so brutal XD
oh-damn-gif-5.gif

gmoran

In VR or cinema? I've been seeing a lot of people from reddit saying the latest update fixes cinema drift dramatically.

That's interesting. Since the update rotational drift of the HMD in games (using the camera) appears to be "cured". I say appears to be because games handle orientation so differently, but within consistent references I'm not noticing any drift, and I have been looking out for it since my brain first noticed its absence last weekend.

It could just be coincidence (my tracking is pretty good) or placebo, only time will tell.

Skittles

Dino Frontier is fantastic in its presentation. Looks great, sounds great, plays great.
Too bad the game is WAY too linear for its genre. The entire game felt like a long tutorial for a full fledged RTS.
That being said, I still think people should take a look at that game when it's on sale.
It's one of the most charming game and the tower defense part is surprisingly fun. That is pretty much the only part where gameplay is dynamic unlike the whole building part.

If you are looking for a more gameplay freedom RTS, Tethered is fantastic. Though, it gets repetitive on the later mission. Very lengthy game. I'll wait and see how NHA VR pans out, hopefully it's a game with depth.

Awww shit, my local store has it already.
Yea, that and no free play mode kinda killed it for me. Maybe the devs will add something later on
So....

Anyway I take back everything I said about Bishop in Raw Data. He may not be the most powerful/fresh character in VR games, but GOD DAMN after getting dual pistol and more abilities, it's the craziest experience ever. Especially now I'm used to the control.
Haha, glad you saw the light on Bishop. You're basically playing a character in a John Woo movie. Damn fun once all characters are unlocked.

Man, for a first year lineup. PSVR is doing phenomenal, one of the best first year lineups i've ever seen.

KalBalboa

Banned
Megaton Rainfall... I have a giant Yogibo bean bag chair I plan on laying horizontally on while playing this game. Going to get my inner Superman on.

Memles

It's been months since I had my PSVR set up, despite having purchased a whole bunch of games. But this sale brought me back in, and my parents are in town, so I got that double dose of "discovering new ways to approach VR" by playing a bit of Statik AND the joy of showing off the technology to others by throwing my father into Ocean Descent. A nice reminder of the fun of the platform—will probably pull out Keep Talking next time I have a game night.

MattAces

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/13/all-60-games-coming-to-playstation-vr-through-early-2018/
All 60+ Games Coming to PlayStation VR Through Early 2018

OH HELL YEA DRUNKN BAR FIGHT CONFIRMED!

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT
DMBkxJUUMAASQBa.jpg

Sculptrvr, build world with friends. Some sort of minecraft rip off.

Blasters of the Universe, bullet hell, pretty cool. http://store.steampowered.com/app/490490/Blasters_of_the_Universe/

KNOCKOUT LEAGUE! another boxing game. http://store.steampowered.com/app/488920/Knockout_League/
ss_ddb6d7130bc304e5bcb166ecc04f793dca832166.600x338.jpg

I'm just filtering the cooler stuff.

PrinceKee

Didn't realize it was the anniversary until I was on Facebook and had memories of my wife and son playing from last year. I love my PS VR, but I don't get to play much with a wife and kid and a newborn. Just looked at the sale and realized there's so many games I've missed. I need suggestions on must haves. Would really like a puzzle game and s shooter person or adventure game. Haven't bought a vr game since super hot...

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/13/all-60-games-coming-to-playstation-vr-through-early-2018/
All 60+ Games Coming to PlayStation VR Through Early 2018

OH HELL YEA DRUNKN BAR FIGHT CONFIRMED!

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT

Out of that list I'm definitely getting:

GT Sport (preordered ages ago)
Doom VFR
Skyrim VR
Moss (I want this most of all)
Obduction
Xing
Rec Room

On the fence about:
The Inpatient (not a big horror fan but I'm playing through Until Dawn and like it so far and everything Supermassive have done has been decent)
Bravo Team
Golem

Don't know what the rest are. Torn's premise sounds good though.

MattAces

Currently announced lineup of games coming soon to PS VR

Bravo Team
36635657922_67831408e7_b.jpg

Doom VFR

Gran Turismo Sport

Megaton Rainfall

Moss
34433447574_53a4e6406c_b.jpg

No Heroes Allowed!
37614619386_6f964e366b_b.jpg

Obduction
37630415542_057c507bc6_b.jpg

Pixeljunk VR: Dead Hungry

Stifled

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
35389106065_0c57b4404d_b.jpg

The Inpatient

More:
  • Anamorphine
  • Ark Park
  • Blade And Soul: Table Arena – Ncsoft Corporation
    BladeSoul_1.png
  • Brain Voyagers
  • CoolpaintVR
  • CubeWorks
  • DragonBlast VR
  • Dream Angling
  • Drunkn Bar Fight
    ss_025fd06b917e57fc2157ab69c79b7bfd89fe830d.600x338.jpg
  • DWVR
  • End Space
  • Fishing Master
  • Flatline: Experience the Other Side
  • Ghosts in the Toybox
  • Gunheart – Drifter Entertainment
  • Hex Tunnel
  • Hopalong: The Badlands
  • Justice League VR
  • Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV
  • Nothin' But Net
  • Quar Infernal Machines
  • RadianVR
  • Rec Room
  • Run Dorothy Run
  • Sculptrvr
  • Serious Soccer
  • Shooty Fruitie
  • Snow Fortress
  • Stardrone VR
  • Super Amazeballs
  • Survios
  • The Rabbit Hole
  • Virtual Engagement Confronting Fears
  • VR Apocalypse

Coming in 2018
Golem
36992135773_9b13273a7f_b.jpg

The American Dream
37630415772_e0388c1df3_b.jpg

Torn
37630416152_13292b2ee2_b.jpg

Xing: The Land Beyond
36992135473_ca4b677719_b.jpg

Other 2018 games

• Alvo
  • Blasters of the Universe
  • Chainman
  • Dead Secret
  • Dragonflight VR
  • Drone Fighters
  • Dungeon Chess
  • End of the Beginning
  • Knockout League
    ss_ddb6d7130bc304e5bcb166ecc04f793dca832166.600x338.jpg
  • Penn & Teller VR: Frankly Unfair, Unkind, Unnecessary and Underhanded (including Desert Bus)
  • Pixel Ripped 1989

MattAces

Also the list is not even close to complete.
Some notable missing.
- The Persistence
- Giant Cop
- Dimension Hunter
- Rom Extraction
- Star Child
- Gunheart

New bundle for EU, at least to my knowledge! Priced at 399USD/337EUR.

vrgtbundle-900x900.JPG

PSVR support has been amazing imo! Now I only have to find someone to sell my gen 1 unit so I can get the new one!

Top Bottom