• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

philm87

Anyone picking up the Inpatient tomorrow? I'm going to wait personally as I have a huge catalogue of VR games to play already, but very interested in this one.

Toe-Knee

Anyone picking up the Inpatient tomorrow? I'm going to wait personally as I have a huge catalogue of VR games to play already, but very interested in this one.

It's definitely on my list but I think in going to wait until I've finished yakuza 0

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I was so up for The Inpatient.. but £32 for 2 hours of gameplay according to a guy on Youtube whos played through and done a review (8/10).

Last edited:
I found my dreams similar to Superhot last night. Everytime I moved in my dreams, people would move along with me. I'm the type of person who hardly ever dreams but this was very memorable!

philm87

I was so up for The Inpatient.. but £32 for 2 hours of gameplay according to a guy on Youtube whos played through and done a review (8/10).

It's £24 on Amazon (£22 with Prime). Think the playtime is supposed to be 4/5 hours from googling. If it's anything like Until Dawn then it should have good replay value on top of that. Will probably be half that price within 6 months though.

Last edited:

MultiCore

Amazon sent me a notification 3 minutes ago that The Inpatient shipped.

Pretty excited.

Anybody else play the Final Fantasy fishing game? The tracking is atrocious for me, just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've got a copy on the way and I'm going to check it out. I loved Until Dawn and even liked the Rush of Blood VR (so far that's the only VR game I've been able to finish), so I'll happily give this a shot.

Anybody else play the Final Fantasy fishing game? The tracking is atrocious for me, just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing.

I've played it and yes it's easily the most janky VR game I've played. Typically mid-session (every 20 minutes or so) I'll have to turn the VR headset off completely, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on to get it to track correctly. Sometimes it puts me like 2 feet up and back, so I can look down into the character's headless neck-hole and it's a bit bizzarro. That should have never been a $30 game.

Unknown?

Dude people who get it early are going to rush through it. I bet he could beat RE7 in 3 hours. I remember before Ratchet 2016 came out some dude beat it in 5 hours and everyone was going crazy but it actually ended up being a 10+ hour game.

Toe-Knee

I want to give super hot VR a shot but I just don't have the cash right now. It's driving me mad.

Is it not on sale now? It's easily one of the better vr games I've played. It goes you a good amount of freedom to move. Probably the most I've come across in psvr

Hostile_18

Banned
Dude people who get it early are going to rush through it. I bet he could beat RE7 in 3 hours. I remember before Ratchet 2016 came out some dude beat it in 5 hours and everyone was going crazy but it actually ended up being a 10+ hour game.

Maybe. For the sake of a day id advise waiting and finding out. He said he didn't rush, and making such a claim would only come back to bite him.

Unknown?

Maybe. For the sake of a day id advise waiting and finding out. He said he didn't rush, and making such a claim would only come back to bite him.
I was never expecting it to be Until Dawn big but 3-4 hours is good imo. Hopefully he’s just an outlier. I beat Rush of Blood in around an hour.

Hostile_18

Banned
Id be happy with 3-4 hours and replayability. If anyone picks it up here early please let us know. I remember there were concerns over Wolfenstine 2's length when that came out and it proved unfounded so fingers crossed :).

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
In other news I just picked up a PSVR last week so here's my impressions.

So back when it was announced I was day one for VR and then when the Pro was announced and a emphasis on having a 4k tv I went that route and put the PSVR on the back burner. Picking it up last week it was a version 2 which I was greatful to have thanks to the HDR pass through.

The unit itself is great, I do seem to get light coming from the bridge of my nose which is a little noticeble unless im playing in a dark room. Its also pretty draining which is one thing I didn't quite count on. As good as the games are I think this limits it's use so I can imagine myself playing traditionally 70/30 say.

Rush of blood was my first experience and I loved that. The biggest surprise for me was how essential the move controllers were. 8/10.

Resident Evil 7 was also amazing but easy to feel sick on. Will definetely need to build my tolerance to it up some what. I played for 3 hours yesterday and still feel a bit strange today (having not played vr at all). Still I think this could be the future of the medium in these initial stages having full AAA games with vr modes until the purely VR game market increases to make this kind of production cost efficient.

The Playroom VR was just ok... until I played that 3d platformer game and I was genuinly amazed. Honestly I almost had more fun on that than the whole of Mario Odyssey (and that was also a game I liked). The interactivity and sheer fun was amazing and I really would LOVE a stand alone game like this.

Lastly Star Trek; Bridge Crew. I'm not a big trekkie, though I have seen all of Voyager and Deep Space Nine. First thought was wow the graphics are amazing, an hour later and I was just bored. There is the structure of a good game there but it needs a solid story and an ability to go to the planet's and meet new characters etc rather than just continue to sit there and select the same options over and over again. I'm sure the game under the right conditions is more fun but as a single player gamer I can only give it a 5/10.. glad I bought it in the sale.

Next few games I've got my eye on are Far Point, Doom, Work Simulator, Arizona Sunshine and of course The Inpatient (depending on length).

I did try 3D blu rays as I have quite a few, so a vested interest but with no 3D telly since I upgraded to a 4k one. The results were dissapointing on the one 3d film I tried. PQ wasn't as good (expected) and the 3d effect not as prononced (unexpected). Would rather just watch 2d with a crystal clear picture.

Glad I bought the unit. When it works it really works. Main take away for me is that it compliments traditional gaming, but does not replace it. :)

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
With regards to The Impatient Push Square are saying it's around 2 hours long as well. Both them and Easy Allies didn't seem that enthusiastic.

I'm going to wait for a sale.

Grinchy

Banned
Rush of Blood was such a great game at the launch. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but expensive, short games are tough outside of the launch window for me.

Hostile_18

Banned
Rush of Blood was such a great game at the launch. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but expensive, short games are tough outside of the launch window for me.

Yeah I love Rush of Blood. I just think it appears to be priced incorrectly, especially if your all digital.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
With regards to The Impatient Push Square are saying it's around 2 hours long as well. Both them and Easy Allies didn't seem that enthusiastic.

That's kind of a shame, but I'm actually okay with that. As I've mentioned previously in the thread, I'm still getting my bearings with VR (I haven't played in a few weeks since Eagle Flight made me super sick) so I'll probably even split this into 2-3 play sessions.

With any luck there is at least some reason to go back and replay the game later, but even outside of that I'm definitely looking forward to the experience.

Unknown?

Yeah a bit disappointing. I may still bite because from reading the reviews it’s got amazing atmosphere it’s just hampered by a poor ending.

As far as length goes, considering they are making so many games in such a short time I’m okay with it as it won’t be long for another. Bravo Team comes in March.

MultiCore

I think there's a general trend of reviewers being overly negative about VR games.

I'll be the first person to tell you there's a lot of garbage people are trying sneak under the radar for easy money. The problem is that a lot of reviewers seem to think that's the case for the entire platform.

I'll try and do a couple playthroughs tonight, and post my thoughts. I kinda regret reading some of the reviews, as they seem more filled with spoilers than actually critiquing the game.

RavageX

Please do, I have found that youtube channels seem to be more straightforward than lets say...IGN for example.

I also want to throw this out there again...if any of you have Star Trek and want to get a group together for that and any other VR online stuffs, I'd be perfectly willing. I don't have plus right now but will for some online VR.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think there's a general trend of reviewers being overly negative about VR games.

I'll be the first person to tell you there's a lot of garbage people are trying sneak under the radar for easy money. The problem is that a lot of reviewers seem to think that's the case for the entire platform.

I'll try and do a couple playthroughs tonight, and post my thoughts. I kinda regret reading some of the reviews, as they seem more filled with spoilers than actually critiquing the game.

I think it's more to do with the expectation relating to the price of alot of these games. If the Impatient was 9.99 or what ever no one would bat an eye lid.

I think id rather a game everyone can play with a vr mode for VR users. That way the economics of price vs content would be mostly the same as the rest of the games industry. (Example: Resident Evil, Skyrim).

If a game is tailler made for VR and your pricing is high then the onus is on the developers to deliver an AMAZING experience IMO.

jshackles

I played about an hour and a half of The Inpatient. The game is pretty rad, but it was a LOT more janky than I thought it should be, especially for the price. Obviously your hands don't fully articulate with the move controller, but most of the time I played they were balled up and strangely contorted and difficult to move around. Moving / locomoting is alright but not great, as the game paces your character based on other factors so most of the time walking in a straight line is even strained by your character slowing down or speeding up unexpectedly. The awkward hand and body movements made me miss a few of the jump scares, because I was spending more time fighting the controls rather than looking around like I was supposed to be(?). The story is intertwined with Until Dawn to the point that I feel like I've seen plot spoilers since I've played that game. The graphics are great when they're scripted / in motion, but there are a lot of times where characters are just standing there still like you're looking at a Blender model that's just standing still and not moving (no breathing, no subtle movements) and that's really jarring.

On to the good stuff: the atmosphere is creepy in the "make your skin crawl" kind of way. There are some interesting characters, and the voice-activated response system is actually pretty cool and makes things a bit easier. The surround sound with my gold headphones was really well done and added to the overall atmosphere. The story seems pretty good so far overall with the caveat above.

This should not be a $40 game, especially so if I'm already half way through it (or more). I would say this is a $20 game at best. I'll save my final judgement until after I beat the game (likely tomorrow night if the above posters are correct) but it's hard for me to recommend this to anyone but the most hardcore Supermassive / Until Dawn fans.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Can someone tell me whats going on with the sound for arizona sunshine? I thought my speakers exploded, the games doesn't seem to support 3d soubd neither, I cant hear the main character voice even when I max out the sound.

MultiCore

Ok, saw credits the first time on The Inpatient.

It's very much tied to Until Dawn. If you haven't played that game, this will not be nearly as interesting as it would be otherwise.

Like Until Dawn, it's a choose-your-own-adventure.

Multiple endings, branching decision trees. Unless you're using a guide or incredibly lucky, you're going to need to play multiple times.

It's also VR Walking Simulator 2018.

It's a horror game. Some of the scares really got to me.

I had tracking jank. Played with DS4. Controller and headset alignment drifted. The re-center action (hold start) did nothing except black out your vision.

It's a great experience. Good voice acting. Interesting setting. High production values.
I didn't pay full price. Whatever the amazon prime preorder price guarantee works out to be is what I paid (I preordered in October.)

I generally dislike horror games, so I wasn't sure what this was going to be. I made myself power through it.

I'm not decisive on the value proposition yet. I'll need to get some endings I'm happy with.

Here's a few spoiler bits of information about my decisions without giving away too much:

I played as a compliant pansy who was confused and just trying to make it out alive.
Next time, I'm going to try to be much more defiant.
I had to pull the headset out, and pull one side of my headphones off. The audio is really strong, as far as being creepy.
That first jump scare made me scream, I woke up the baby, and brought the whole family running in to the room. (6 kids, lol) The wife was not impressed, lol.
The atmosphere was so strong that I just wanted out, so I didn't do as much searching of the premesis as I knew was going to be necessary, but I got around half the trophies and half of the memories. Saw all but like 2 of the butterfly effect decisions.

Anyway, I'll have to save final judgement for more plays.

If you're interested in this Do Not read pro reviews. They ruin all your expectations.

I will say, this and Monster of the Deep, they haven't had good tracking like I'd expect at this point. Superhot blows them away for tracking stability.

Last edited:

philm87

Can someone tell me whats going on with the sound for arizona sunshine? I thought my speakers exploded, the games doesn't seem to support 3d soubd neither, I cant hear the main character voice even when I max out the sound.

I had the opposite when I first played it! The main character's voice nearly blew out my eardrums before I turned it down in the settings to balance it right.

You sure there's not just an issue with your centre speaker? That's where voices will generally come through on a surround sound setup, and you may get the voice coming through at low volume on stereo speakers.

I find PSVR much more immersive through earphones, my surround sound setup is pretty low budget though.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

I had the opposite when I first played it! The main character's voice nearly blew out my eardrums before I turned it down in the settings to balance it right.

You sure there's not just an issue with your centre speaker? That's where voices will generally come through on a surround sound setup, and you may get the voice coming through at low volume on stereo speakers.

I find PSVR much more immersive through earphones, my surround sound setup is pretty low budget though.

definitely nothing wrong with my speakers if every other games does not have issue beside arizona sunshine. I am convinced that the sound is completely broken in the game. It does not support 3D sound like most other VR games so headphones are pointless for it.

Last edited:

philm87

definitely nothing wrong with my speakers if every other games does not have issue beside arizona sunshine. I am convinced that the sound is completely broken in the game. It does not support 3D sound like most other VR games so headphones are pointless for it.

It's not broken in the game, works fine for me.

Grinchy

Banned
The first time I played Arizone Sunshine (at launch), I found that the main character's voiceovers were way too loud. They were also really annoying, so I turned the voice volume down to like 20% and never looked back.

jshackles

I finished The Inpatient and...

It wasn't that interesting honestly. The story turned out to be a bunch of fucking nothing - just a rehash of the Until Dawn flashbacks.

I mean, I kinda knew that going in, but I was hoping for at least some kind of interesting twist.

I'll probably wait for a few patches before replaying it - I took a peek at the trophy list and it's pretty linear.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I finished The Inpatient and...

It wasn't that interesting honestly. The story turned out to be a bunch of fucking nothing - just a rehash of the Until Dawn flashbacks.

I mean, I kinda knew that going in, but I was hoping for at least some kind of interesting twist.

I'll probably wait for a few patches before replaying it - I took a peek at the trophy list and it's pretty linear.

Ohh I didn't pick it up in the end. First half price sale and I'm there. Going to use the same amount of money to buy Doom VFR and possibly Office Simulator! :)

Kumorin

I finished The Inpatient last night and I think my takeaway is that, for me, it’s not so much a game as an “acting in a horror movie simulator,” especially when you consider the option to voice your character’s dialogue. At no point did I really lose myself and think I was in the game (though the part with the needle was harrowing.) I instead got the feeling that I was performing live; figuring out who my character was based on both my choice of lines and the acting choices I made. Moving my character was more about hitting my marks, delivering my lines and emoting through my vocal performance and my mannerisms than exploring or looking for gameplay moments. If you play it with that in mind... it’s kind of revelatory. I don’t mind that there’s not much to do. What’s there, all those small moments, became part of my performance and helped me figure out my character. I remember taking a little too long to make sure that cockroach was dead as I smacked it with a book, over and over again. XD

That being said, any future iteration of this needs to absolutely nail the controls and how the in-game avatar behaves according to player input. It’s, quite frankly, terrible as is.

Valonquar

Wonder how much I'll lose if I try to sell my PSVR...Really tired of unhooking it and hooking it back up since my release version one doesn't have 4K passthrough.

God Enel

Guys.im thinking about buying the PS4 and in the future maybe ps vr. Is it possible to hook that thing on the pc?

And what games would you recommend? Heard plenty of good about RE7. Anything else? Are most the games on rails/move only? And is the thing wireless or is it hooked up to the PS4?

philm87

Guys.im thinking about buying the PS4 and in the future maybe ps vr. Is it possible to hook that thing on the pc?

And what games would you recommend? Heard plenty of good about RE7. Anything else? Are most the games on rails/move only? And is the thing wireless or is it hooked up to the PS4?

There's an emulator that allows it to be hooked up to a PC, but heard it's not very good, never seen it myself though. https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

Resident Evil 7 is a must buy. Even if you get scared by games like that you need to force yourself to play it.

RE7 you use the dualshock controller for, so you can just use that to move normally. There's comfort settings that can be used in case there's any motion sickness, such as snap turning and reduced field of vision.

Games that you move with using the move controllers either involve point either the left or right hand and holding a button down to move in that direction, or some you can choose for it to move in the direction your head is facing instead. These will usually use square or circle on the move controller to turn left or right.

Skyrim VR is obviously another big one, can spend hours getting immersed in that. Especially love the bow and arrow and magic when in VR. Have to forgive the graphics a bit, but it's still really great fun.

Really enjoyed Arizona Sunshine (zombie shooter), I Expect You to Die (puzzle game), Headmaster (football/soccer heading game), Batman, and Rush of Blood. Loads of cool free VR things and demos too.

I've bought most of the games on PSN sales as they seem a bit overpriced otherwise.

God Enel

There's an emulator that allows it to be hooked up to a PC, but heard it's not very good, never seen it myself though. https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

Resident Evil 7 is a must buy. Even if you get scared by games like that you need to force yourself to play it.

RE7 you use the dualshock controller for, so you can just use that to move normally. There's comfort settings that can be used in case there's any motion sickness, such as snap turning and reduced field of vision.

Games that you move with using the move controllers either involve point either the left or right hand and holding a button down to move in that direction, or some you can choose for it to move in the direction your head is facing instead. These will usually use square or circle on the move controller to turn left or right.

Skyrim VR is obviously another big one, can spend hours getting immersed in that. Especially love the bow and arrow and magic when in VR. Have to forgive the graphics a bit, but it's still really great fun.

Really enjoyed Arizona Sunshine (zombie shooter), I Expect You to Die (puzzle game), Headmaster (football/soccer heading game), Batman, and Rush of Blood. Loads of cool free VR things and demos too.

I've bought most of the games on PSN sales as they seem a bit overpriced otherwise.

hey thank you for that great answer. I have to find my move if I'm going to buy it.
Is there any difference between owning a PS4 and pro when playing with vr?

philm87

hey thank you for that great answer. I have to find my move if I'm going to buy it.
Is there any difference between owning a PS4 and pro when playing with vr?

Yeah a lot of games have graphical enhancements on Pro, including a higher resolution in RE7. I've always used it on Pro so I haven't experienced the differences.

God Enel

Yeah a lot of games have graphical enhancements on Pro, including a higher resolution in RE7. I've always used it on Pro so I haven't experienced the differences.

hmm.. in VR as well or just 4k upgrade on regular tv? I don't own a 4k TV so I'm curious if it's worth to pay 50 or whatever bucks more.

mckmas8808

Banned
I finished The Inpatient last night and I think my takeaway is that, for me, it’s not so much a game as an “acting in a horror movie simulator,” especially when you consider the option to voice your character’s dialogue. At no point did I really lose myself and think I was in the game (though the part with the needle was harrowing.) I instead got the feeling that I was performing live; figuring out who my character was based on both my choice of lines and the acting choices I made. Moving my character was more about hitting my marks, delivering my lines and emoting through my vocal performance and my mannerisms than exploring or looking for gameplay moments. If you play it with that in mind... it’s kind of revelatory. I don’t mind that there’s not much to do. What’s there, all those small moments, became part of my performance and helped me figure out my character. I remember taking a little too long to make sure that cockroach was dead as I smacked it with a book, over and over again. XD

That being said, any future iteration of this needs to absolutely nail the controls and how the in-game avatar behaves according to player input. It’s, quite frankly, terrible as is.
Man that actually sounds really cool.

Toe-Knee

hmm.. in VR as well or just 4k upgrade on regular tv? I don't own a 4k TV so I'm curious if it's worth to pay 50 or whatever bucks more.

VR as well. When the headset is on the ps4 switches to 1080p anyway.

Most have more items in the scenes, better effects and supersampling. Better lighting and framerate.

God Enel

VR as well. When the headset is on the ps4 switches to 1080p anyway.

Most have more items in the scenes, better effects and supersampling. Better lighting and framerate.

Thanks for answering all of my questions guys. So I'm gonna buy me a PS4 Pro.. First without VR. I have to play Horizon and the new god of war first. Then I'm gonna buy the VR headset for shenanigans :D

One last question..Btw. do you think a HTC vive is better? But my PC sucks ass.. It's from 2010 so I most probably can't use it, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom