• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Seventy5

Farpoint Aim bundle is $60 at Target right now, and BB price matched it for me. If you don't already have it, I think it's an essential PSVR game. If they were to to a Vietnam game with this set up, good god.

Geki-D

Banned
Hi set it up like this.

PSVR-ibis1.png

Then you just change the hdmi source on the box and TV and you are good to go.

Be sure to fully turn the ps4 off before switching. That alone is enough on mine but a friend has one too and he has to turn his TV off too when switching back to the hdr source otherwise he gets handshake issues when hdr is active.
I got the switcher you linked, the HUIERAV 4K*2K HDMI to HDMI+Optical SPDIF, but this setup you're showing here doesn't make any sense for it. Could you say which are HDMI IN, OUT and USB?

Edit:

Hold on,
Thats all it needs. 1 in 2 out.
...But you one you linked only has 1 out?

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I got the switcher you linked, the HUIERAV 4K*2K HDMI to HDMI+Optical SPDIF, but this setup you're showing here doesn't make any sense for it. Could you say which are HDMI IN, OUT and USB?

Edit:

Hold on,

...But you one you linked only has 1 out?

Its bi directional you can use it as 2 inputs 1 output or 1 input 2 outputs which is what you need.

Geki-D

Banned
Its bi directional you can use it as 2 inputs 1 output or 1 input 2 outputs which is what you need.
So going off the diagram you posted, which out/input is which? On one side you plug the PS4 in through HDMI (output input?), then it shows a cable going into the box from the TV but also the PSVR breakout box. These are both HDMI, right? But I only have 2 HDMI ports on the switcher in total, so i don't see how it's possible to do that setup if I need 3 HDMI ports for the TV, breakout box & PS4.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

So going off the diagram you posted, which out/input is which? On one side you plug the PS4 in through HDMI (output input?), then it shows a cable going into the box from the TV but also the PSVR breakout box. These are both HDMI, right? But I only have 2 HDMI ports on the switcher in total, so i don't see how it's possible to do that setup if I need 3 HDMI ports for the TV, breakout box & PS4.
You go out from the ps4 into the switcher

Then 1 output goes straight to the tv to say hdmi 1 or whatever and the second output from the switcher goes to the breakout box as if you are connecting directly from the ps4

Then the out to TV from the breakout box goes to another hdmi.

Hope this helps.

JGBtypeR

You go out from the ps4 into the switcher

Then 1 output goes straight to the tv to say hdmi 1 or whatever and the second output from the switcher goes to the breakout box as if you are connecting directly from the ps4

Then the out to TV from the breakout box goes to another hdmi.

Hope this helps.

Geki-D is right, the one you linked to isn't a splitter it's a converter with only 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. It doesn't look like HUIERAV has a 1x2 splitter on Amazon.co.uk anymore, though one of their 1x3 switches might work.
Just to help clear up the confusion.

Toe-Knee

Geki-D is right, the one you linked to isn't a splitter it's a converter with only 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. It doesn't look like HUIERAV has a 1x2 splitter on Amazon.co.uk anymore, though one of their 1x3 switches might work.
Just to help clear up the confusion.

Ah crap my bad. I didn't thoroughly check it.

I figured they had just updated it to add optical out.

This is the one I ordered

HUIERAV HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD 4Kx2K/60Hz HDMI Switch| HDMI 2 Ports Bi-direction Manual Switch 2x1 or 1x2 AB Switch Splitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VVM9312/

RavageX

I was looking at it, I don't know if I would like standing in one place for a VR shooter. I think I'm going to grab Out of Ammo instead.
Another game that I just now saw is called Operation Warcade.

Haven't heard a single thing about it, but it supports the AIM

Looks a little rough actually...well, alot.

Seventy5

Another game that I just now saw is called Operation Warcade.

Haven't heard a single thing about it, but it supports the AIM

Looks a little rough actually...well, alot.

Yeah, looks budget af. I would check it for $10, but it's $20. Pass til sale for me.

I bought Island Time today, looks hilarious.

Seventy5

I do find it amazing how huge of a difference there can be with VR games on ps4.
I was streaming Farpoint when I realized you can use cover like actual cover and it was amazing. There are now SO many PS4 games I'm praying for a VR support patch for.

Grinchy

Banned
I do find it amazing how huge of a difference there can be with VR games on ps4.
I guess that can just be applied to all VR games in general. There are some horrible pieces of shovelware on the PC side for VR.

I guess low userbase will do that. No one can really afford to put a lot of money into making VR games from scratch yet.

Seventy5

I guess that can just be applied to all VR games in general. There are some horrible pieces of shovelware on the PC side for VR.

I guess low userbase will do that. No one can really afford to put a lot of money into making VR games from scratch yet.
The attach rate on PSVR must be really good because trying one thing just makes you want more, different games. I bought like 7 games after trying the demo for Moss and the freebie Starblood Arena. Don't sleep on Starblood, it's really good. Also, I LOVE Tethered. Cutesy Black & White in VR and it's just so good.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I own like 35 VR games or something ridiculous like that. Just IMO, but the PSVR library is way more appealing than the PCVR side. It's just a shame that no one can spend $10M+ making a VR game atm.

Seventy5

Yeah I own like 35 VR games or something ridiculous like that. Just IMO, but the PSVR library is way more appealing than the PCVR side. It's just a shame that no one can spend $10M+ making a VR game atm.
I like the big budget, Farpoint style games, but the indie stuff is interesting too. I picked up Korix for like $4 and it's a pretty good little RTS/tower defense hybrid with PS1 poly graphics. I would take more $10 games like that all day. Kingdom Rush VR would make my life.....or even one of those competent Xcom mobile clones.

I need to buy Moss though.

MultiCore

Yeah, I have a ton of PSVR games as well.

I recently got a Rift. I stand by your claim that PSVR has better games, but man, the tracking... it can be awful at times.

The PSVR headset is great. Easy to take on and off, fits well, blocks light, lenses don't have godrays, but man, Sony really made a mistake by holding on to the Moves, and not having a more robust tracking system. Either the Vive's or Rift's systems would have been fine. I've got a 3 sensor Rift setup, and man, Robo Recall is amazing.

But Wipeout, RE7, Farpoint... it's really hard for the PC games to compete. Sure, there's some good stuff, and if you're into Elite or racing sims, there's stuff there that PSVR can't match, but we need more stuff like Skyrim and Doom VFR, on all platforms, asap. People need to be able to play their favorites in VR, and they're worth converting. Can you imagine Titanfall 2 in VR? (Killzone 2? /drool) Battlefront 1/2?

Lots of the games that are released for VR are crap though. There's no sense in skirting around it. Tons of Early Access garbage on Steam, tons of things that barely pass as tech demos on PSN. This is why I'm ok with the conversions. Get us real content, just implement the VR right.

Wipeout's amazing by the way. If you own PSVR, you owe it to yourself to own Wipeout Omega Collection.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know why it took me so long to get around to trying VR Worlds. I wanted to check out London Heist to see if I'd care about the upcoming Blood and Truth. London Heist was pretty sweet. Great graphics and some pretty competent shooting mechanics. It was also really well-acted.

Danger Ball was pretty cool as well, but that Luge game is a complete waste. Even if I had tried that at the launch, I think I would have hated it.

Last edited:
I don't know why it took me so long to get around to trying VR Worlds. I wanted to check out London Heist to see if I'd care about the upcoming Blood and Truth. London Heist was pretty sweet. Great graphics and some pretty competent shooting mechanics. It was also really well-acted.

Danger Ball was pretty cool as well, but that Luge game is a complete waste. Even if I had tried that at the launch, I think I would have hated it.

If you have your VR legs don’t sleep on Scavengers Odyssey. It’s really great, although it gets a bad rap for making people queasy.

Grinchy

Banned
I also finally checked out Accounting+ recently. That shit is hilarious. They just really know how to make an interesting VR experience. I found myself actually wanting to go back through again and see what other choices I could make and what other worlds I could end up in.

Grinchy

Banned
I got that new Killing Floor Incursion game. It seems like it does have the PC bug where in coop, the second player has horrible framerate and can't use smooth turning. The game itself seems like it could be a decent little coop game aside from some problems.

Last edited:

Seventy5

I got that new Killing Floor Incursion game. It seems like it does have the PC bug where in coop, the second player has horrible framerate and can't use smooth turning. The game itself seems like it could be a decent little coop game aside from some problems.
I just bought this today, loved KF2. It's fun so far, but I'm using full locomotion and.....is there really no way to step backwards? That's my only gripe right now. The visuals are great too!

Grinchy

Banned
I just bought this today, loved KF2. It's fun so far, but I'm using full locomotion and.....is there really no way to step backwards? That's my only gripe right now. The visuals are great too!
Oh it’s the same way Skyrim does it - you just point the controller behind you while holding the Move button.

MultiCore

You probably didn't check it out because it's a collection of tech demos. LH is ok, but very short. The diving thing is a gentle way to demo the headset to people likely to have motion sickness. The luge thing is very mediocre, with poor control. The sports thing is ok, but once the speed picks up, the depth perception is weak and it just feels like the tracking fidelity isn't up to the job. The headset is fine, but the moves are the problem.

It's a disc I had to go buy since I didn't buy a bundle (I already had move controllers, and got a camera on sale.) Bought it for LH... Not really worth it, to me.
I also finally checked out Accounting+ recently. That shit is hilarious. They just really know how to make an interesting VR experience. I found myself actually wanting to go back through again and see what other choices I could make and what other worlds I could end up in.
Very funny, big improvement over the free PC version. I haven't quite got all the trophys, but I'm close. Should have been $10 though.

This isn't a bad game, but I have it on Rift. Maybe we'll have to bother the devs to fix the co-op stuff. We need more and better co-op experiences for VR.

I really wish Detroit had a VR mode. Still excited for the game, but that would just be perfect, and a platform exclusive for PSVR to boot.

I still am very impressed with PSVR as a headset. Very smooth image, despite its lower resolution. Wipeout looks phenomenal.

Seventy5

I really want a solid tower defense game for PSVR. Defense Grid VR seems to be Rift exclusive and Ancient Amuletor is pretty janky.

Grinchy

Banned
My breakout box completely shit the bed. For months now, it would just cut out and I'd have to unplug/replug the cables multiple times before it would send video again. A few days ago it just completely stopped working and won't even power on.

Sony's live chat support suuuuucks btw. It is so broken. The phone support was good. So now I won't have VR for anywhere up to 20+ business days if their estimates for the process are accurate.

Seventy5

My breakout box completely shit the bed. For months now, it would just cut out and I'd have to unplug/replug the cables multiple times before it would send video again. A few days ago it just completely stopped working and won't even power on.

Sony's live chat support suuuuucks btw. It is so broken. The phone support was good. So now I won't have VR for anywhere up to 20+ business days if their estimates for the process are accurate.
That blows man. Is it covered by warranty?

Grinchy

Banned
Well they got me a box last tuesday, I shipped the unit on wednesday, and I just received a new unit today. So it was a 7 day turnaround. That's pretty good for these.

RavageX

Picked up GT Sport today during the sale, haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it. Where have you guys gone with all the news lately?

wondermega

Picked up GT Sport today during the sale, haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it. Where have you guys gone with all the news lately?
Yeah I feel like this thread has been a ghost town for awhile now. To be honest the PSVR scene has been rather quiet, hopefully there will be some interesting news next week that will encourage some discussion.

MultiCore

PSVR really isn't getting the AAA support it needs to thrive.

To be honest, the PC VR scene isn't much better, with loads of shovelware and little major support.

It's a bummer, because VR is the most exciting thing to happen to gaming in years.

Skyrim, Doom, RE7, Wipeout and more all show the potential for (in the words of Jeff Gerstmann) game-ass-games. The tech demos need to stop. The 'experiences' need to be worth your time. The indie games need to be more than lazy cash-ins trying to beat the bigger players to a few dollars from under-informed buyers.

The conference went by and all they show was 1 PSVR-optional game. Should we start worrying?

There were actually 2 games.

Plus, PlayStation VR coverage from E3 continues on Wednesday with a closer look at -

Evasion
Firewall: Zero Hour
Astro Bots Rescue Mission
Tetris Effect
Ghost Giant
Creed: Rise To Victory
Vacation Simulator

Wonko_C

Déraciné? I didn't see that during the conference. And it's From Soft and Japan Studio? I'm interested.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
The lesson is to never again buy Sony-hardware that is not a Plays home console.

I like my PSVR headset and I'm looking forward to Dreams, but yeah ...

Not even talking about that lack of games, but the lack of presence and marketing push is disappointing.

Bluecondor

Ghost Giant and Creed: Rise to Victory are on my radar screen.

But - I agree with Wonko_C, the lack of attention to PSVR (especially during the Sony conference) is "handwriting on the wall" that Sony is winding down support for PSVR.

Fortunately, the large number of people who have purchased PSVR (+1,000,000) has made it a viable destination for VR developers. So - even if Sony winds down its support, we should have new content over the next few years from other VR developers (The Exorcist game is a good example of this).

Top Bottom