• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Paperboy

Do you have any specific games you're curious about? Some games have teleporting and smooth walking movement for the Move controllers and you can choose which you like better. There are also some games where you move between pre-determined nodes, but those are more rare.

The Invisible Hours seem like a must have, that game is mainly what spurred my question. But I wonder If you have the ability to choose in Doom VFR as well.

Wonko_C

The Invisible Hours seem like a must have, that game is mainly what spurred my question. But I wonder If you have the ability to choose in Doom VFR as well.

Using the Aim Controler Doom VFR lets you teleport, dash, or move freely at all times. My main locomotion method is normal movement, followed by dashes with the D-pad to dodge (TV FPSes should have this for projectile based attacks), and teleporting for the glory kills, and also to put some distance between me and enemies when things get too hectic since it also enters bullet-time.

Last edited:

Kagero

I played it (PSVR version) at E3. Loved it!
Ok my question to you is have you played Knockout League? And how does it compare? In knockout league, I don't like how its essentially like punch out where the animations are canned. Is Creed more of a sim where your punches and movement aren't tied to patterns? Not sure if I'm making sense.

wondermega

Ok my question to you is have you played Knockout League? And how does it compare? In knockout league, I don't like how its essentially like punch out where the animations are canned. Is Creed more of a sim where your punches and movement aren't tied to patterns? Not sure if I'm making sense.

Hmm hard to say. I haven't played KL. The game didn't feel canned to me - it felt pretty arcadey. The demo was pretty limited (just fighting a single opponent, and I think they rigged it for the show so you couldn't lose). Very intense and addictive though.

somme

I was wondering when a Tetris VR would show up. Missed the announcement earlier in the year. Hopefully, it's been translated to VR well.

brett_me

Neo Member
Using the Aim Controler Doom VFR lets you teleport, dash, or move freely at all times. My main locomotion method is normal movement, followed by dashes with the D-pad to dodge (TV FPSes should have this for projectile based attacks), and teleporting for the glory kills, and also to put some distance between me and enemies when things get too hectic since it also enters bullet-time.
j forgot DOOM VFR had Aim support. I might have to take the opportunity to get back into it once I go pick up my Aim controller from work tonight.

Sent my PSVR to Sony for repairs because of the black screen issue, 4 weeks later got it back.

They didnt do shit to it. The black screen issue is still there. Dont know what to do now. Some people claim that a change to a higher quality HDMI cable fixes the problem, can anyone confirm?

Grinchy

Banned
Sent my PSVR to Sony for repairs because of the black screen issue, 4 weeks later got it back.

They didnt do shit to it. The black screen issue is still there. Dont know what to do now. Some people claim that a change to a higher quality HDMI cable fixes the problem, can anyone confirm?
Damn, from the day I called them to the day I got a unit back was 8 total days. They made you wait a month?? Crazy.

Are you on a Pro? Something about that Pro seems to cause more black screens. Supposedly turning off HDCP in the PS4 settings can help, but I can't say for sure.

Damn, from the day I called them to the day I got a unit back was 8 total days. They made you wait a month?? Crazy.

Are you on a Pro? Something about that Pro seems to cause more black screens. Supposedly turning off HDCP in the PS4 settings can help, but I can't say for sure.

Yes the Pro. You the OG?

Tried turning off hdcp, didn't work.

What problem did you have?

Grinchy

Banned
Yes the Pro. You the OG?

I wish I knew a great solution for you that was guaranteed to work, but the blackout thing is so hard to deal with. A new high speed hdmi cable isn’t a horrible thing to try but who knows if it’ll help.

When I sent my VR unit in it was because my breakout box stopped working. They made me send the headset too and sent me back a refurb.

Last edited:

CEJames

I knew about Granblue Fantasy coming but I didn't know it was also getting PSVR support until today. I looked online a bit and saw some post on reddit about 2 months back saying they actually dropped support but I haven't seen an official statement. Does anyone know anymore information on the subject?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is a really good video review for Firewall. It does a great job of explaining why VR adds a dimension to it that a flat game just can't.

RavageX

Yeah I'm afraid of that too, I do want to support VR and have been, but funds have not allowed much lately, too many other games out and coming out.

MDSLKTR

ZoE 2 vr mode is such a disappointment... The game is just not fit for it because of the spasmic lock-on gameplay. Some later levels and boss fights are straight up unplayable because you can't see your surroundings. Went back to playing regular mode and the clean aesthetic and fast paced controls shine bright there as they should. Avoid or try the demo first.

I wish I knew a great solution for you that was guaranteed to work, but the blackout thing is so hard to deal with. A new high speed hdmi cable isn’t a horrible thing to try but who knows if it’ll help.

When I sent my VR unit in it was because my breakout box stopped working. They made me send the headset too and sent me back a refurb.

Do you have a Pro or Amateur?

Bought SuperHyperCube some days ago. The game is really good but also really difficult. I think there are 10 levels and I haven't been able to complete the third one yet. But its really addictive. After a Firewall session I always end it with a couple of tries on SuperHyperCube and when its "game over" I always feel I need to play "one more time". That "one more time" is always 7-8 more tries :)

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yes the Pro. You the OG?

I never had a black screen on my OG PS4. I upgraded to the pro and I had frequent Black Screens.

I say had, as I have managed to eradicate the issue.
I upgraded my HDMI cables for 4K certified 1m length cables.
I disabled HDCP
In the video settings I changed from YMMCB? to RGB.

This has resolved the issue for me. Another thing that worked, but its up to you if you want to do it is I reduced the output from 4K to 1080P. I reverted back to 4K mind, as the above methods worked for me.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
In fact, out of interest......can anyone here confirm if the black screen issue still exists on the revamped edition PSVR? Or did they resolve this?

Ta

Wonkytonk

I dusted off the VR the other day to play Headmaster, for the first time, after picking it up in a sale a while back. Very fun!

Future looks good too-- I'll wait for reviews on Creed and Astro Bot before purchasing, but they look really good from the previews.

I never had a black screen on my OG PS4. I upgraded to the pro and I had frequent Black Screens.

I say had, as I have managed to eradicate the issue.
I upgraded my HDMI cables for 4K certified 1m length cables.
I disabled HDCP
In the video settings I changed from YMMCB? to RGB.

This has resolved the issue for me. Another thing that worked, but its up to you if you want to do it is I reduced the output from 4K to 1080P. I reverted back to 4K mind, as the above methods worked for me.

1. Did your black screen issues happen on your TV or inside the VR helmet screen?
2. Cables? so you replaced several HDMI cables? I read you only need to replace one.
3. You said you "changed from YMMCB? to RGB". but the first PSVR does not support RGB so how is this possible?

I dusted off the VR the other day to play Headmaster, for the first time, after picking it up in a sale a while back. Very fun!

Future looks good too-- I'll wait for reviews on Creed and Astro Bot before purchasing, but they look really good from the previews.

The problem with Headmaster is its difficulty. I'm about half way through and I cant progress anymore because of the difficulty.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
1. Did your black screen issues happen on your TV or inside the VR helmet screen?
2. Cables? so you replaced several HDMI cables? I read you only need to replace one.
3. You said you "changed from YMMCB? to RGB". but the first PSVR does not support RGB so how is this possible?

My apologies....had no access to caffeine at work.

My flickering black screen was on the TV
I replaced the whole lot of HDMI. For the cost, its just worth doing, and eliminates any possibility of HDMI cables.
Sorry its the other way round. I switched from RGB to YMMCB?

This has eliminated the issue for me. HDMI cables are very finicky with this setup. Get the wrong ones (even 4K fast HDMI) and you get flicking red pixels in the headset. I had to try several before I got a good solution.

Grinchy

Banned
The Firewall devs have finally spoken about the upcoming patch....kind of

https://www.firstcontactent.com/single-post/2018/09/25/Firewall-Zero-Hour---Community-Update-2

This patch improves squad matchmaking and should result in lower wait times overall. Feature improvements to the lobby are in the works and will be part of future updates.

We are going to be doing a weekly update which will include details of what we are working on for each patch, to give the community as much visibility as possible.

If I'm being brutally honest, this is a huge letdown. This is a $40 gaming product that requires you to play online with only a single mode. They launched it with broken matchmaking and we're going to be in week 5 at least before this patch that might not even actually fix it.

Then you still have the big list of other problems like the fact that even in a best case scenario, you spend 40% of your session waiting and 60% playing. If you play for 3 hours, imagine how much time you just wasted staring at the lobby screen or loading screens.

Tenaciousmo

Normal ps4 owner here, I love gran turismo and recently was thinking about how it is on psvr as it is advertised to be compatible and if so is it a good experience on it or if im interested in psvr it is highly recommended to have a pro. With that game, ace combat and tetris effect coming soon it might become a give-up machine if those are enjoyable on it.

Tldr; Is the psvr enjoyable on a base ps4 with gran turismo

Toe-Knee

Normal ps4 owner here, I love gran turismo and recently was thinking about how it is on psvr as it is advertised to be compatible and if so is it a good experience on it or if im interested in psvr it is highly recommended to have a pro. With that game, ace combat and tetris effect coming soon it might become a give-up machine if those are enjoyable on it.

It is good in vr but its very limited. Just 1v1 races.

Driveclub and dirt are the better options in vr or even better wipeout.

The pro does make a big jump to quality for vr if anything I would say its the area where the biggest impact is seen even if its just more complex visuals and smoother framerates.

Lighting and anti aliasing usually gets a boost too.

Grinchy

Banned
It's pretty bad on Sony's part that they bundled Gran Turismo with the VR headset because it definitely leads people to think that the game has a significant VR component.

Toe-Knee

Ohhh really, just 1v1 races ? Is there 1v1 "campaign" stuff? Or are those just arcade type races

Thanks for answering the first time, tought it was the whole game compatible with vr
There's just one section for vr.

Its pretty limited (even car selection from what I've seen) but there's also vr showrooms etc that are pretty cool.

Even with it being limited driving around nurburgring in vr is intense.

I think there's some time attack stuff too.

IMHO Driveclub is a much better vr game. That's the entire game. It looks better too.

mango drank

I disagree about Driveclub vs GT Sport in VR. Although GTS has very limited play modes, it still feels like a much better racing simulator than Driveclub. To be fair, I've only played the Driveclub VR demo, not the full thing, but the driving and physics felt kinda arcade-y, float-y, and just ... off. GTS feels way better. I only wish I had a PS4 Pro, because the graphics on GTS VR are way better than on PS4 OG.

Last edited:

Gran Turismo Sport has to be one of my fav PSVR experiences, whats been said is true its 1v1 with an AI opponent, there is a great selection of tracks, with different course options including routes and time of day. The good news is I've been able to use pretty much everything I have in my garage and I've got about 20-25 cars. One of my fav experiences has to be driving an F1 car around the Nurburgring, its an open cockpit and just heightens the experience overall to lean your head outside the body of the car to look around, you're going fast enough that you wont want to take in the sights for too long or you'll crash.

To heighten my experience abit further I recently picked up the Drivehub adapter from Collective Minds, this component allows me to use my Logitech GT Driving Force wheel (from last gen) while in VR on the PS4. Now I literally feel every bump, every bit of resistance around every corner through the force feedback in the steering wheel, this has made my VR experience pretty intense, after jumping in on this last week adding the ability to use my steering wheel, I could definitely feel a sense of adrenaline running through me after doing the long version of the Nurburgring.

Tenaciousmo

Gran Turismo Sport has to be one of my fav PSVR experiences, whats been said is true its 1v1 with an AI opponent, there is a great selection of tracks, with different course options including routes and time of day. The good news is I've been able to use pretty much everything I have in my garage and I've got about 20-25 cars. One of my fav experiences has to be driving an F1 car around the Nurburgring, its an open cockpit and just heightens the experience overall to lean your head outside the body of the car to look around, you're going fast enough that you wont want to take in the sights for too long or you'll crash.

OK so kind of what i want from that , except the 1v1 aspect of it, thanks

mango drank

One of my fav experiences has to be driving an F1 car around the Nurburgring, its an open cockpit and just heightens the experience overall to lean your head outside the body of the car to look around, you're going fast enough that you wont want to take in the sights for too long or you'll crash.

If you get your hands on a go-kart, and/or the Honda Project 2&4 open-air car, those are really fun too. Especially the go-kart.

Astrobot is getting some pretty high review scores so far. It's surprising since the mainstream gaming sites always rate VR titles so low.

Barely knew the game existed a week ago.

After I saw the reviews I preorded it,

There aren't many good or really good PSVR games out there, so when they show up, we have to support them.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm still chugging away with Firewall, but it's still frustrating at times. My tracking tonight was actually really good but there were so many hosts leaving and killing rooms. The only time we got to host our own room, some kind of network error booted me out and killed ours too.

I'm so close to level 35. The new gun finally opens up that I've been dying to try out.

Top Bottom