• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

ultrazilla

Tempted to get one of these as there are some really good looking games now but will hold off till that hundred bucks sweet spot which ain't that far away.

For those that have had both whats the main difference between the v1 and v2? Don't have 4K/HDR here so that passthrough option isn't that big a deal but aside from that what else?

I believe it was simply the 4k/HDR pass through and the addition of a headphone jack port on the bottom of the back of the visor you can hook headphones into.

Toe-Knee

Tempted to get one of these as there are some really good looking games now but will hold off till that hundred bucks sweet spot which ain't that far away.

For those that have had both whats the main difference between the v1 and v2? Don't have 4K/HDR here so that passthrough option isn't that big a deal but aside from that what else?
I think the headphones are built in on v2.

Also the button to slide the visor is in a different place I think

ultrazilla

I think the headphones are built in on v2.

Also the button to slide the visor is in a different place I think

No, the headphones themselves are not built into the visor. Only the headphone jack/port is. Sony is including special wired earbuds that work perfectly with the new port that
you can plug in. Cheers!

Playstation newsletter is mailing $10 codes in its 2-year PSVR celebration. I was lucky enough to get one, redeemed it and it's showing in my wallet now. The newsletter said must redeem before the 23th. Does that mean once redeemed I can use the $10 after the 23th? Or will it disappear from my wallet after that date?

Only US?

Toe-Knee

No, the headphones themselves are not built into the visor. Only the headphone jack/port is. Sony is including special wired earbuds that work perfectly with the new port that
you can plug in. Cheers!
My bad I thought they were actually part of the headset now.

Grinchy

Banned
I actually got one of those $10 codes, too. I am shocked that so many of us got them. Usually it's like one person gets one and everyone else complains they didn't.

Shmunter

Hope everyone that enjoys shooters jumps into Firewall. I can’t say enough about how excellent the slow tactical gameplay is in VR. And getting a kill will get you hooked. Nothing else like it.

Grinchy

Banned
Played a little bit of blackout beta and honestly had more fun with Firewall
I played Firewall every day for over a month when it launched. I really liked it a lot, but the problems and the lack of fixes were too annoying in the end. I was happy to see the matchmaking get fixed after the first month. I'll come back when some of the other big things are finally addressed as well.

I pried myself away from Red Dead Redemption 2 last night once I realized the demo was up, having already pre-ordered a physical copy of the game and having been looking forward to it for several months now.

I gave this a decent play through on each of the settings available (beginner, normal and expert) through the 3 playable stages, I made it close to the end of the 3rd stage on expert. I have to say the soundtrack for this game, even though its not my typical music I'd listen too is actually very good.

I think what maybe makes the music better or really fit with Tetris Effect is that as you progress through the line count to complete each stage, more parts of the music are added into the song, it becomes interactive with your progression through each stage, which as a player builds momentum. It'd be like having a playlist that not only gets more intense as you work out but actually progressively gets more intense every song as its playing, not just when the track is switched... its actually kinda brilliant.

As for the gameplay itself in the demo, it feels and plays exactly like the Tetris we've come to know and love with only a couple differences, the first one being obvious its in PSVR. The animations in the background were bright, very cosmic as if you were looking up at the stars on a clear night and progressively added more to them as you progressed through your line count (just like the music) there were more than a couple times when for a brief second my honest/ natural reaction was to move my head or blow away a particle/ ember that flew directly into my face, however the animations weren't a distraction from the gameplay, they are just vibrant to watch and add almost a theme to each stage, almost in an artistic cirque du soleil style.

The other big difference is the ability to slow down time for a chance to throw down and complete as many lines as you can, this is completed by filling your zone gauge in on the left hand side of the play area. Admittedly I'm still getting the hang of this and I feel its something you want to kind of stack the deck for to give yourself a chance at completing a Decahexatris.

After playing through the demo I know I'll play it a few more times before it expires and I'm even more excited to play the full game as I've heard its packed with additional modes and from what I saw plenty of stages once the full game is released, when was the last time you were excited for a new Tetris game...

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

I pried myself away from Red Dead Redemption 2 last night once I realized the demo was up, having already pre-ordered a physical copy of the game and having been looking forward to it for several months now.

I gave this a decent play through on each of the settings available (beginner, normal and expert) through the 3 playable stages, I made it close to the end of the 3rd stage on expert. I have to say the soundtrack for this game, even though its not my typical music I'd listen too is actually very good.

I think what maybe makes the music better or really fit with Tetris Effect is that as you progress through the line count to complete each stage, more parts of the music are added into the song, it becomes interactive with your progression through each stage, which as a player builds momentum. It'd be like having a playlist that not only gets more intense as you work out but actually progressively gets more intense every song as its playing, not just when the track is switched... its actually kinda brilliant.

As for the gameplay itself in the demo, it feels and plays exactly like the Tetris we've come to know and love with only a couple differences, the first one being obvious its in PSVR. The animations in the background were bright, very cosmic as if you were looking up at the stars on a clear night and progressively added more to them as you progressed through your line count (just like the music) there were more than a couple times when for a brief second my honest/ natural reaction was to move my head or blow away a particle/ ember that flew directly into my face, however the animations weren't a distraction from the gameplay, they are just vibrant to watch and add almost a theme to each stage, almost in an artistic cirque du soleil style.

The other big difference is the ability to slow down time for a chance to throw down and complete as many lines as you can, this is completed by filling your zone gauge in on the left hand side of the play area. Admittedly I'm still getting the hang of this and I feel its something you want to kind of stack the deck for to give yourself a chance at completing a Decahexatris.

After playing through the demo I know I'll play it a few more times before it expires and I'm even more excited to play the full game as I've heard its packed with additional modes and from what I saw plenty of stages once the full game is released, when was the last time you were excited for a new Tetris game...

Seconded on all points.
I have to say, I never thought I would actually be excited for a Tetris launch, but here we are.

I love what they’ve done here. It’s like if Tetris, Luminess , and Rez/Child of Eden all came together. Pre ordered for sure.

Wonko_C

I am having a problem with captured videos of PSVR games, the screen only shows the upper part of the whole image, in VR I can see everything no problem. This is especially noticeable with Tetris Effect, as the recorded video doesn't show the very bottom part of the board. It's not like I'm looking at the upper part of the game, I'm looking at the center yet the capture comes out like this:

Grinchy

Banned
I've only tried the Normal difficulty in Tetris Effect so far. I got a S rank with only like 60,000 points and then saw the insane high scores on the leaderboard. I think there are some major scoring tricks that I'm not aware of yet. Maybe it comes down to using the Zone right at the end of a level (before you complete the lines) to go way over the number of lines you're allowed to have for that level.

There's also a combo scoring multiplier for getting lines in quick succession. So I can't tel if it's better to build up the level to get 2 Tetrises in a row of it if'ts better to be going for higher combo numbers of smaller line chunks.

I'm not sure if I'm getting much out of the VR, though. I have the camera set to close, brightness on max, ect like people have suggested. It just all feels a little flatter than I was expecting.

wondermega

OOOhhh.. Quiet in here.. Anyway, I have a question. I wouldn't say I am much of a modern gamer, aside from PSVR, otherwise it's mostly retro for me. Anyway a friend came over last night, and i showed him Astrobot and Rush of Blood. He had low expectations of PSVR, and came out extremely impressed. I wanted him to get an ideal experience, so I let him start a New Game on each. Sadly, this meant I had to wipe out the progress I'd already made in each game? What the heck is this? Multiple save files are no longer a thing in 2018? I was fairly along in each game, at this point I doubt I'll ever pick either up and try to regain all of that progress. Am I the only one angry about this, it doesn't make sense to me..

McCheese

OOOhhh.. Quiet in here.. Anyway, I have a question. I wouldn't say I am much of a modern gamer, aside from PSVR, otherwise it's mostly retro for me. Anyway a friend came over last night, and i showed him Astrobot and Rush of Blood. He had low expectations of PSVR, and came out extremely impressed. I wanted him to get an ideal experience, so I let him start a New Game on each. Sadly, this meant I had to wipe out the progress I'd already made in each game? What the heck is this? Multiple save files are no longer a thing in 2018? I was fairly along in each game, at this point I doubt I'll ever pick either up and try to regain all of that progress. Am I the only one angry about this, it doesn't make sense to me..

If it's your primary PS4 (i.e you've activated it as the primary) then any account on that system can access the games, so you could have created a new account for him to play on temporarily.

Last edited:
If it's your primary PS4 (i.e you've activated it as the primary) then any account on that system can access the games, so you could have created a new account for him to play on temporarily.
I do this having a guest account for friends who come over from out of town, it is kind of silly though.

wondermega

Argh! Yeah I had no idea about this, glad I do now though - thank you.

Wonko_C

Got $40 in my PSN wallet for Astro Bot. Should I wait for Black Friday sale or is it too soon for it to get discounted?

RavageX

Where have you guys been? Anyone played Creed? What about the Heavy Fire game? Or the new beta of that new game Megalith? Persistence? Transference? Lots of games have been out, lol.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to wonder if I'll regret getting the PSVR Aim controller. I basically bought as a bundle where I got Farpoint first for $20 or so and the controller for $40. I just hope more games will support it.

gifgaf

I'm starting to wonder if I'll regret getting the PSVR Aim controller. I basically bought as a bundle where I got Farpoint first for $20 or so and the controller for $40. I just hope more games will support it.
Have you tried Firewall? That game is fantastic with the aim controller.

gifgaf

That may be so but I refuse to pay for PSN so it might not be good as a singleplayer game.

That is a shame, Firewall makes the aim controller worth owning.

Have you thought about paying for one months sub for a test or trying the 2 week free trial, if you can get a cheap copy of firewall or borrow a friends?

Wonko_C

Where have you guys been? Anyone played Creed? What about the Heavy Fire game? Or the new beta of that new game Megalith? Persistence? Transference? Lots of games have been out, lol.
I came to the PSVR party a little late (at the end of last year) So I'm still catching up. So far I've only been able to get Tetris Effect, but I plan to get Astro Bot if it's added to tomorrow's sale and hopefully I end up with enough change to get another like ZOE2 MARS, or Pixel Ripped 1989.

Beat Saber coming on the 20th, guess that will have to wait. :(

Is psvr still recommendable if you have a normal ps4

I only have a fat PS4 and more than 30 PSVR games and they all play great! I haven't played on a Pro to see the difference, though.

Grinchy

Banned
I've played the new COD almost every day for a month straight. I hate typing these words and it shocks me that they're true. That Blackout mode is just too damn fun.

I assume I'll be back in a VR kick soon enough. Even as bad as I want Tetris Effect after that demo, I just can't seem to buy any games because I know I'm just gonna play COD for now.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
That is a shame, Firewall makes the aim controller worth owning.

Have you thought about paying for one months sub for a test or trying the 2 week free trial, if you can get a cheap copy of firewall or borrow a friends?
My friends wouldn't pay for a PS4 + VR and even if they did they most likely wouldn't care for that game. However after testing it out with Farpoint I think the controller is a game changer for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinchy

Banned
I know I'm really late on this, but I finally sat down and played through two demos - Astro Bot and Transference. They couldn't be any more different in tone haha.

Astro Bot seems pretty awesome. I was surprised it let you do two full levels and a boss fight. Not being able to turn the camera in any way feels a bit strange but probably becomes more natural the more you play. It looks strikingly good graphically.

Transference was creepy as hell. It had been a little while since I played any VR that wasn't Firewall, so I was spooked to hell while playing it.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Expected Astro Bot to be on sale now in the NA store like in the EU PSN (42% off, holy hell) but no such luck.
That discount and me I only just bought it a couple of week back. Oh well. I know they refund the difference if its within 7 days.

Grabbed firewall can't wait for the wife to go to bed!

RavageX

I dunno if mentioned but Firewall can be had for $19 at gamestop now. Plan to get it and expect most of you to also, lol.

Makariel

The current range of black Friday bundles made me pull the trigger, just ordered a PSVR bundle with Astro Bot :) should be arriving by Saturday...

Grinchy

Banned
I finally bought Tetris Effect. Damn, this game is so good (if you like Tetris a lot). The visualizations for the levels in the full game that weren't in the demo are so much better than the demo levels. Much better VR effect going on.

I'm grabbing one on Friday as well, any tips on ways to use it? Other than just games? How is the movie experience?
I'm not a huge fan of the cinema mode because the screen drifts very often. You have to keep holding the Options button to re-center the screen every couple minutes. Think about that through a whole 2 hour movie or playing regular non-VR games!

Top Bottom