• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Neverwas

3D movies can be pretty great, as long as you can find them. And if you're gonna be watching videos, invest in some straws.

edit: I grabbed Beat Saber last night. That game is a blast.

Last edited:
I downloaded *cringe* (wheres the physical copy?) of Beat Saber last night $39.99 CAD and its on par with Superhot VR, its one of those games that just really makes you forget you're in your living room and puts you somewhere else, in this case wielding dual lightsabers.

As a day one adopter of Rock Band with too much dlc and an early adopter of the first Guitar Hero game, its easy to see where this game took some of its inspiration from. Visually simple but more than adequate (like Superhot VR) it just goes to show well thought out ideas prevail. This was my first time playing Beat Saber, having seen a bunch of stuff obviously leading up to it.

I was surprised at how responsive the controls were (although maybe I shouldn't be) as this isn't my first rodeo in a PSVR game. Things can pickup surprisingly quick as you adjust the level of difficultly in this game considering you have just 2 colours where as with Rock Band on drums I can navigate dual kick pedals, 4 colours and the additional pro cymbal expansions very well.

I'd have to say my least favorite mode or maybe more so the most difficult is the disappearing arrows levels, in the game cubes come directly at you with arrows on them to indicate the direction of the slice of the lightsaber to clear the cube and string together a combination of consecutive slices. In the disappearing arrow levels the cubes fly towards you, as they fly at you the arrows disappear and its easy to get distracted and lose track of the direction you were suppose to slice the cube. I needed to string together a combination of 50 consecutive slices and complete the level to open up the next section, I won't lie it took me a couple tries.

I played free play mode after progressing to maybe the 8th or 9th world in the main mode, this was a great place to see how I had adjusted from the tutorial to hard and expert levels. In my first play through I think I put in probably 3 hrs into my first session Beat Saber, this game is highly addictive.

I'd love to see some more customization, maybe I haven't found it yet but things like the ability to play with a light side, dark side Darth Maul type staff lightsaber would be pretty sweet (I tried holding my move controllers like that, still needs work) I'd love to see the ability to set up your own level to play through, the cubes you can slice in any direction are probably my fav levels, I think 6-B is one of those. More music would be good too, I definitely wish whomever did the music for Tetris Effect helped with this as well.

Beat Saber lives up to the hype, its addictive, it makes you feel like a bad ass (just like Superhot VR) and its accessible to anyone who wants to just pick up and play. Heres to hoping Beat Saber finds its way to a physical copy on limitedrungames.com

Last edited:
3D movies can be pretty great, as long as you can find them. And if you're gonna be watching videos, invest in some straws.

edit: I grabbed Beat Saber last night. That game is a blast.
HAHA I totally do the straw thing! my fiance laughed at me and my cat tries to steal the straws cause he plays fetch with them.

AlexxKidd

Let me be one of the first to welcome all of the new PSVR users who took advantage of that 200 bone can't miss deal. Or maybe I'm early? Maybe I should wait to after Black Friday/Christmas to welcome you, but nevertheless, welcome! Go get Astro Bot and shit your pants with RESIVII

Got my Astro Bot/Moss bundle and also ordered a story game called The Invisible Hours. Can't wait to check out Astro and Invisible Hours.

Moss looks good too but I know that it's a digital code, and if I don't like the VR for whatever reason I'm just going to sell it, so if I keep it then I'll go ahead and use the Moss code.

Anyone played Tetris Effect and Beat Saber? I want one of them but dont know which. I imagine Beat Saber would be more fun with the Move controllers, which I don't have and won't be able to get for some time.

AlexxKidd

Got my Astro Bot/Moss bundle and also ordered a story game called The Invisible Hours. Can't wait to check out Astro and Invisible Hours.

Moss looks good too but I know that it's a digital code, and if I don't like the VR for whatever reason I'm just going to sell it, so if I keep it then I'll go ahead and use the Moss code.

Anyone played Tetris Effect and Beat Saber? I want one of them but dont know which. I imagine Beat Saber would be more fun with the Move controllers, which I don't have and won't be able to get for some time.

Haven't played Beat Saber - it literally just came out on PSVR yesterday - but I have spent some time with Tetris Effect. Personally I'd go with Tetris, but again, haven't played Beat Saber. I think especially with you not having the Moves, Tetris is the way to go. If the $40 tag is too steep for Tetris, don't sleep on Thumper if you want a rhythm type visual experience. Thumper is available on one of the free demos so check it out before you guy. I personally love it but with all puzzle/rhythm games it's personal preference.

Welcome to the world of PSVR! Tetris Effect is surprisingly good beyond what you think it will be, the visuals, that 3D sound from the headset when you connect a quality headset and the music is actually so good! Just grabbed Beat Saber myself last night, its highly addictive, of course you'll need a set of move controllers but its alot of fun and lives up to the hype.

I'd also recommend Resident Evil 7, RIGS, Superhot VR and once you've got your 'VR legs' pickup an aim controller and grab Firewall Zero Hour and Arizona Sunshine.

Thanks.

Yeah I think I'll definitely just go with Tetris for now and get Beat Saber once I can get some controllers.

Resident Evil 7 is already on the way lol. I beat it back at release but of course havent played it in VR yet. So I'll be going through it again soon. Great game.

Its the best PSVR game and literally SO scary.

Trogdor1123

I finally bought Tetris Effect. Damn, this game is so good (if you like Tetris a lot). The visualizations for the levels in the full game that weren't in the demo are so much better than the demo levels. Much better VR effect going on.

I'm not a huge fan of the cinema mode because the screen drifts very often. You have to keep holding the Options button to re-center the screen every couple minutes. Think about that through a whole 2 hour movie or playing regular non-VR games!
What causes that seems strange

Gamernyc78

Banned
We have new life boys and girls. I'm happy to see so many ppl talking about getting psvr for christmas. Those mp servers are going to get a good boosting of players.

I waited to get Res Evil 7 but it was worth it as I only paid 19 :) and I am also getting Moss, Astrobot, Farpoint and few others i never got before. Tetris is definitely on my radar as well oh and im getting Firewall Zero Hour.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

One of Playstation VR Worlds experiences has one where you dive to the bottom of the ocean and encounter a shark. It's still very impressive for what it is. It also has The London Heist where you'll feel like you're starring in your own gangster flick. It is often on sale so I'd wait for it to be $5, as cool as it is it's still a bunch of tech demos.

As for Adventure, I haven't played it but The Invisible Hours is a murder mystery and has an overall positive reception.

Makariel

We have new life boys and girls. I'm happy to see so many ppl talking about getting psvr for christmas. Those mp servers are going to get a good boosting of players.
Since you talk about MP, I've heard a lot about Firewall, is that MP only? How easy is it to get into a game, and does one get completely trounced as newcomer?

Grinchy

Banned
What causes that seems strange
It's just a natural thing that happens with gyros from what I understand.

When you use cinema mode, the PSVR isn't actually using the camera to track the headset in any way. When you normally use PSVR for VR games, the lights come on and the camera looks at them to determine where the headset is in 3D space. With cinema mode, there are no lights and no tracking. So the internal gyros just naturally produce a slight drift to the side over time.

Shmunter

Since you talk about MP, I've heard a lot about Firewall, is that MP only? How easy is it to get into a game, and does one get completely trounced as newcomer?

The game has bot matches, but really it’s all about the MP.

A very welcoming community and veterans take pride in mentoring new players. In no small part due to the tight squad mechanic. 4 players means it’s always civil.

Have never had trouble getting into a game within a minute.

You won’t get trounced if you play it like your life depends on it. Real life strategies apply for entering rooms and passageway, look up slicing the pie.

Map knowledge and equipment familiarity comes with time like all games.

One thing to remember is the real world properties, I.e. closing one eye to aim down the gun sights is legitimate. Equipping a laser pointer is not some stat increasing hip fire ability, it is genuinely a laser pointer, so of course it helps with hip fire, etc.

Pretty sure this is a killer game for VR.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just got myself a sweet deal for PSVR V2 bundle. AU$230 (around $160 us). Couldn't resist at all.
I actually bought it back in 2016 with the camera and that cost me around au$650, and I sold it for a bit of profit because even though I enjoyed it I couldn't justify the price. Not now though, this is too good and is perfect. No remorse definitely. Can't wait to get immersed in VR again. Plus there are so many more games now after two years!

Wonko_C

I've been preaching to my VR-skeptic friends and some of them are finally taking the plunge thanks to the sales, they're converts now. :messenger_halo:

9NZVHLd.jpg

Shmunter

Bought the the VR2. Going to install it tomorrow. My first ever VR experience

You’ll love it. The v2 is a big upgrade in ergonomics over v1. The single cable is now light and about as thick as a quality 3.5mm audio cable. It disappears into the background, whereas v1 was constantly there.

Grinchy

Banned
Any comments on PSVR with the pro?
It generally just runs games more crisp (higher resolution to super sample down from). There are other differences as well, but it’s a luxury more than a necessity. The base ps4 provides a good experience on its own and the Pro is a nice improvement.

Trogdor1123

It generally just runs games more crisp (higher resolution to super sample down from). There are other differences as well, but it’s a luxury more than a necessity. The base ps4 provides a good experience on its own and the Pro is a nice improvement.
Nice, I'm really looking forward to getting it.

TLZ

Banned
You’ll love it. The v2 is a big upgrade in ergonomics over v1. The single cable is now light and about as thick as a quality 3.5mm audio cable. It disappears into the background, whereas v1 was constantly there.
That's great to hear. I didn't like all the cabling in V1. Looking forward to receiving it tomorrow!

I purchased one from target with that astrobot/moss bundle. So hyped. I have a 3D TV for movies but will definitely be doing some movies with this.

Now if the PS4 Pro would only get back to retail prices I could let my little brother have my current 2nd gen.

Shmunter

Shiiiiiit my PSVR just delivered. Can't wait to jump in! :messenger_beaming:

This is subjective, but I’m off the opinion that removing the rubber visor around the headset is the way to go:

Pros: lenses never fog up, ventilation is good for the eyes

Cons: if playing in bright environment, you can see it - to me the Pro outweighs the con as I focus off into the distance anyway

baphomet

This is subjective, but I’m off the opinion that removing the rubber visor around the headset is the way to go:

Cons: if playing in bright environment, you can see it - to me the Pro outweighs the con as I focus off into the distance anyway

If the lenses are fogging up and you're not getting ventilation you're wearing it wrong.

TLZ

Banned

It fogged up at first but after fixing it it sits perfectly now.

The first thing I tried was astrobot and it's so cool. I kept talking to it and its friends like they can hear me, lol.

The first thing that came to my mind when the first stage loaded up was, "wow we need a Mario game that looks and plays like this! It's the next thing to do after 3D".

This is the future.

Make it wireless and less weight on the head, you know like lighter goggles, and the casual market will eat this up. (And hardcore, this is so cool)

I wish my kids can try it but apparently only 12 years and above can :(

Maybe they can do something about this in future revisions?

So looking forward to PSVR2 now.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

It fogged up at first but after fixing it it sits perfectly now.

The first thing I tried was astrobot and it's so cool. I kept talking to it and its friends like they can hear me, lol.

The first thing that came to my mind when the first stage loaded up was, "wow we need a Mario game that looks and plays like this! It's the next thing to do after 3D".

This is the future.

Make it wireless and less weight on the head, you know like lighter goggles, and the casual market will eat this up. (And hardcore, this is so cool)

I wish my kids can try it but apparently only 12 years and above can :(

Maybe they can do something about this in future revisions?

So looking forward to PSVR2 now.

Welcome true believer! Astro Bot is the best thing since ever. The more you play through it you will find that it keeps getting better because they keep adding variety to the stages/bosses. At $200 vr is worth it just for that, the fact that you get everything else is icing on the cake. And yeah im all in for PSVR2. Can you imagine Astro Bot 2? Fuck me.

clem84

Gold Member
I see a few of you are playing Beat saber. Anyone have this problem?

I just got PSVR yesterday. Beat saber is my first game. I read somewhere that the best place to position the camera is at eye level, and to make sure you're 5-6 feet away. I did that. The problem is that sometimes in Beat Saber, when the move controllers go too low, the tracking is lost. Either when I simply relax my arms or when I crouch to avoid obstacles, the sabers in the game start floating away and when the game requires you to keep slashing away while ducked, I almost always miss the incoming cubes. Like I said, camera is at eye level, 5-6 feet away from the camera, I tried all the calibrations I could do in the settings menu, the problem is still there.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I see a few of you are playing Beat saber. Anyone have this problem?

I just got PSVR yesterday. Beat saber is my first game. I read somewhere that the best place to position the camera is at eye level, and to make sure you're 5-6 feet away. I did that. The problem is that sometimes in Beat Saber, when the move controllers go too low, the tracking is lost. Either when I simply relax my arms or when I crouch to avoid obstacles, the sabers in the game start floating away and when the game requires you to keep slashing away while ducked, I almost always miss the incoming cubes. Like I said, camera is at eye level, 5-6 feet away from the camera, I tried all the calibrations I could do in the settings menu, the problem is still there.
When you're standing there, in-game, hold the Playstation button on a Move controller. The quick menu comes up. Go to the VR settings and find "Confirm Position."

This will bring up a camera feed that will look a little funny (black and white). You'll see your colored orbs from the headset and controllers. You can use this feed to see what the camera is actually seeing.

My guess is that you have the camera completely leveled (not angled down in any way). And what's happening is that as you're standing there, you'll see those colored orbs at the very bottom of the trackable area, so any dips whatsoever cause the lights to go outside of what the camera can see.

clem84

Gold Member
When you're standing there, in-game, hold the Playstation button on a Move controller. The quick menu comes up. Go to the VR settings and find "Confirm Position."

This will bring up a camera feed that will look a little funny (black and white). You'll see your colored orbs from the headset and controllers. You can use this feed to see what the camera is actually seeing.

My guess is that you have the camera completely leveled (not angled down in any way). And what's happening is that as you're standing there, you'll see those colored orbs at the very bottom of the trackable area, so any dips whatsoever cause the lights to go outside of what the camera can see.
Thanks. So, the camera should ideally be slightly angled toward the bottom?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
So I played a little bit with the V2 on my Pro. Positiong yourself and fitting the helmet is a bit cumbersome. Ive played Worlds, Playroom, Tetris and Astrobot. Some games are fun but Im not blown away, mostly because I dont like the low resolution. Didnt feel any real sickness yet btw.

ultrazilla

Welcome to all the new PSVR owners! Tetris Effect, Beat Saber, Astro Bot Rescue, Resident Evil 7, Thumper and Skyrim(holy cow) are
killer apps IMO.

The VR version of Skyrim doesn't get a lot of attention and that needs to change. It truly puts you into the world and you can configure
the in game options to have regular walk/run movement-NO TELEPORTING! You can also configure the game to allow smooth headset
turning when you look around. The default game settings are in place for newer users so that they don't get sick from the motion/experience.
Once you get used to literally being in the game, re-configure those settings!!

Typhares

Finally bought Beat Saber, god damn that game is awesome! I'm a bit worried by the amount of tracks available but it is so much fun!

Makariel

I started straight away with Astro Bot. Oh my... this is amazing! I've not felt this happy playing a video game since playing Mario on the NES. Just looking for the bots to rescue and moving around the place to look for the best way to move forward blew away most doubts I had about vr as a concept. I want to invite half of family and friends over to show them lol

The resolution is noticeable coming from pc with way more graphical horsepower, but that does not take away anything of the awesomeness of Astro Bot. I've played games in 320x200 resolution and less in my younger years, a few pixels don't scare me.

I've been taking breaks in between levels and so far I'm OK in terms of motion sickness, which was definitely a concern for me.

Quick question regarding the extra box, does this need to stay plugged into ac power even when not playing vr?

Grinchy

Banned
My name is Grinchy, and I'm a Tetris Effect Addict...

Hi Grinchy

This game is so good. It's hard to put into words why it's so good since it's just Tetris, but it is. I put the headset on, try to beat a Journey high score, try to beat some of the extra mode high scores, do the Weekly Ritual, and suddenly I realize I've been playing for 3 hours. That's a long time for a game that's blasting you with colors and music and sounds and your brain is processing and calculating the move of every piece. It really does just put me in a full trance.

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks. So, the camera should ideally be slightly angled toward the bottom?

The old recommendation from the Job Simulator developers was to have the camera at head height but angled down toward chest. That's a good starting point for games where you are standing up.

When you look at the Confirm Position camera feed, you see why. It helps to get that visual and really see what the camera is seeing while running a game. You can move around and see exactly how much or how little you can move before the controllers are out of frame.

TLZ

Banned
Welcome true believer! Astro Bot is the best thing since ever. The more you play through it you will find that it keeps getting better because they keep adding variety to the stages/bosses. At $200 vr is worth it just for that, the fact that you get everything else is icing on the cake. And yeah im all in for PSVR2. Can you imagine Astro Bot 2? Fuck me.
I actually got it for $160 :D

mckmas8808

Banned
The current range of black Friday bundles made me pull the trigger, just ordered a PSVR bundle with Astro Bot :) should be arriving by Saturday...

How is it?

Haven't played Beat Saber - it literally just came out on PSVR yesterday - but I have spent some time with Tetris Effect. Personally I'd go with Tetris, but again, haven't played Beat Saber. I think especially with you not having the Moves, Tetris is the way to go. If the $40 tag is too steep for Tetris, don't sleep on Thumper if you want a rhythm type visual experience. Thumper is available on one of the free demos so check it out before you guy. I personally love it but with all puzzle/rhythm games it's personal preference.

Thumper is so underrated at this point, because it came out years ago. But it's one of the best VR games I've ever played. I can only play it for like 30-45 minutes at a time, because there's so much energy while playing it that I feel like I"m going to explode if I try to go longer than 1 hour. It's like sensory overload, but in a good way.

RavageX

Played Creed some more, I wish there was a Create a Boxer mode. For example, something along the lines of "The Fight" on PS3, mostly because the boxers get WAY more tired than I do, One of the things I liked about The Fight was as I leveled my characters attributes, he could keep up, lol. That game was a great workout too because of things like that, If I got tired, it showed in game.

AlexxKidd

I actually got it for $160 :D

Then you sir got the steal of the year.

Thumper is so underrated at this point, because it came out years ago. But it's one of the best VR games I've ever played. I can only play it for like 30-45 minutes at a time, because there's so much energy while playing it that I feel like I"m going to explode if I try to go longer than 1 hour. It's like sensory overload, but in a good way.

Yeah, Thumper is a game that I never heard no one mention when I first got my PSVR last year. I only knew of it from checking it out on one of the demo discs and I found myself continuing to go back to play that same level multiple times. I'd load up the demo just to play it til I finally said fuck it, why don't I actually buy this shit lol?

Next thing I know I was running through it like butter because I was already familiar with the demo - until I hit that difficulty spike lol.

The game is an audio-visual VR treat and generally goes on sale for like $7 bucks-ish. At that price it's hard not to recommend it.

mckmas8808

Banned
T
Yeah, Thumper is a game that I never heard no one mention when I first got my PSVR last year. I only knew of it from checking it out on one of the demo discs and I found myself continuing to go back to play that same level multiple times. I'd load up the demo just to play it til I finally said fuck it, why don't I actually buy this shit lol?

Next thing I know I was running through it like butter because I was already familiar with the demo - until I hit that difficulty spike lol.

The game is an audio-visual VR treat and generally goes on sale for like $7 bucks-ish. At that price it's hard not to recommend it.

Yep! I hit a point in the game (I like level 7 or something) and it just got too hard. I'm over 30 years old and I just can react fast enough anymore. :(

Welcome to all the new PSVR owners! seeing all those crazy Black Friday deals, you'd be crazy not to buy-in and check it out. You're about to see what all the hype is about.

I bought my PSVR, the Skyrim bundle over the summer this year and was immediately drawn right in having limited VR experiences previously, only having got to demo VR at a trade show and at a friends place for like 10 minutes. I've been a gamer for 30+ yrs and this has to be one of the most progressive leaps for gaming that I've personally seen. Its not a fad its not 'waggle' and considering it takes you out of your living room and puts you somewhere else, its not overly cumbersome wires and all either. I don't believe VR will replace flat gaming but VR has legitimately earned a place beside it in my personal opinion.

Below are the games I've had the most fun with as a newer PSVR owner.

1.. Resident Evil 7
2. Astrobot
3. Superhot VR (requires PS Move controllers)
4. Moss
5. Beat Saber (requires PS Move controllers)
6. Firewall Zero Hour (requires PSVR Aim controller)
7. Skyrim (recommended - PS Move controllers)
8. RIGS
9. Tetris Effect
10. Arizona Sunshine (wouldnt want to play it without a PSVR Aim controller)
11. Job Simulator (requires PS Move controllers)
12. Gran Turismo Sport (PSVR mode limited to race against single CPU opponent, access to cars within your garage and pretty much all tracks - best experienced with a steering wheel)

*Bonus - If you have a copy of Star Wars Battlefront (the first one) reinstall that, download the VR Experience (X-Wing mission) and enjoy one of the best experiences PSVR has to offer, its short but epic.

A good starting point for new PSVR owners is the PSVR Worlds disc, its like a collection of games and experiences to get your feet wet. Alot of us here in this thread play VR pretty regularly and forget it can take abit to get your 'VR legs' so you dont get motion sickness and get turned off of adopting fast pace VR games with full movement.

A good rule of thumb is start with small play sessions and gradually increase your time in small increments, steer clear of full locomotion games/ games with 360 degree movement right off the bat until you've got some tolerance.

The reason I brought up the PSVR Worlds game was because it contains two games that both show off the potential of VR and are accessible to new users. Ocean Descent and The London Heist, remember that scene in the Matrix where he asked for the loading program. These two games within the PSVR Worlds disc are like your loading program, for you and friends you have over to play the first time. The good news is this game should be $20.00 or under and London Heist will blow your mind.

Whats on the way in the near future for PSVR you ask? On December 14th Borderlands 2 gets the Skyrim treatment and becomes playable in VR. In 2019 theres alot of good content on the way, personally I look forward to Blood & Truth (the full game inspired by The London Heist) Vacation Simulator, the follow up to Job Simulator, Everybody's Golf will get an update making your round of golf playable in VR and the big one. Media Molecules' - Dreams, a similar idea as Little Big Planet but so much more freedom to create from scratch, including user generated PSVR levels, a beta should come out sometime in early 2019 and I am so excited to finally get my hands on this game.

Let me guess, you've got your shiny new PSVR headset and the 'VR bug' has bit you hard, you want more things to play and more experiences in VR period! I get it cause the same thing happened to me. The nice thing is most of the older PSVR game library is cheap, you might pay abit more if you're a physical media guy like me and not all games were physically released in your region but if you're dead set on importing, the good news is, its region free and will work on your PS4! I had to import a couple games for physical copies, Superhot VR, Arizona Sunshine and have a friend in the US mail me a physical copy of Moss.

In the mean time while you wait for your new games to arrive in the mail, heres a couple suggestions to download for free. I would start with the Rec Room, the Rec Room is almost like a virtual arcade, a bunch of mini games that I've personally only touched on. It offers a bunch of different experiences to play with others online or solo. I personally loved the Disc Golf, there is Table Tennis, Laser Tag and Paint Ball was another favourite. Visually the Rec Room comes across as a collection of mini games with Nintendo Mii like characters as your avatar. For the rock bottom price of free, there is an unbelievable amount of content and fun too be had, especially when you find your jam.

I would also highly recommend downloading a current beta happening right now, actually its been happening for quite some time but shows no signs of slowing down, I personally played this game for about 3 days straight when I first tried it. Honor and Duty D-Day is currently in beta, free to play and is actually really fun as simple as it is visually. Its basically like the Rec Room meets Battlefield/ Call of Duty in VR. Now before you go getting your hopes up, again visually its not realistic like Battlefield or Call of Duty, its like a online shooter with Mii's but the mechanics feel pretty good and playing online shooting at other PSVR gamers is pretty addictive, going across the map doesn't feel like a time sink in VR, its a discovery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom