• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
No Man's Sky could be really fucking awesome in VR. Obviously we don't know anything yet, but the game itself is massive and the second I started playing it, I wished it was a VR game. I really wish I hadn't already spent 100+ hours playing the game and could have gone in fresh for VR, but I'll still get some decent time from the update anyway.

Rodolink

How necessary are the Move controllers in VR? I mean are they really something that makes everything way better. Or mostly optional for most of the games?

Makariel

How necessary are the Move controllers in VR? I mean are they really something that makes everything way better. Or mostly optional for most of the games?
I would recommend them, a lot of games benefit from them greatly and some outright won't work without them.

edit: also consider that the move controllers from the PS3 are fully compatible with PS4, I'm using old PS3 era move controllers and work perfectly, and they can be found much cheaper.

Last edited:
I would recommend them, a lot of games benefit from them greatly and some outright won't work without them.

This,. Actually, the DS is an immersion killer for VR. The Move and of course, the Aim controller , is how you are supposed to play in VR. A classic controller is like playing with handcuffs.

Rodolink

edit: also consider that the move controllers from the PS3 are fully compatible with PS4, I'm using old PS3 era move controllers and work perfectly, and they can be found much cheaper.

Thanks, yeah I agree with you. Good idea to look for PS3 old models instead.

mckmas8808

Banned
This,. Actually, the DS is an immersion killer for VR. The Move and of course, the Aim controller , is how you are supposed to play in VR. A classic controller is like playing with handcuffs.

DS controller is NOT an immersion killer for some VR games though. The DS is great in Thumper and RE:7 in VR.

Romulus

I don't think everyones definition of immersion killer is the same then. There are several games that I use ds4 or the moves just depending on how I feel. Switching back and forth, I lose a little bit of immersion, but barely any at all.

Last edited:

RavageX

Wolfenstein looks cool.

I wish they would flesh these games out a bit more. Take for example, Everybody's Golf VR I have been looking forward to, then I read its like 3 different courses. Surely they can add more than that.

It's like that for Ace Combat, GT Sport and a few other games. It's cool that there's VR, but it needs not to seem half done, an afterthought or tacked on.

Grinchy

Banned
Wolfenstein looks cool.

I wish they would flesh these games out a bit more. Take for example, Everybody's Golf VR I have been looking forward to, then I read its like 3 different courses. Surely they can add more than that.

It's like that for Ace Combat, GT Sport and a few other games. It's cool that there's VR, but it needs not to seem half done, an afterthought or tacked on.
Yeah it still amazes me that Capcom of all companies was willing to create a current gen game from the ground up with VR in mind for RE7. And it’s incredible in VR. But Sony’s own companies just put out some pity levels.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah it still amazes me that Capcom of all companies was willing to create a current gen game from the ground up with VR in mind for RE7. And it’s incredible in VR. But Sony’s own companies just put out some pity levels.

It's MIND BLOWING! I just don't get it.

Wolfenstein looks cool.

I think it doesn't make much sense for developers to invest heavily in VR content. They probably get paid by Sony to create this content or they are just trying it out to evaluate the market.
I wouldn't expect that GT Sport or similar games would sell that much more copies because of full VR content that it would bring in the development costs.

But with the growing install base I think PSVR will become more and more interesting for developers and I'm sure we will see more content in the future.

mckmas8808

Banned
I think it doesn't make much sense for developers to invest heavily in VR content. They probably get paid by Sony to create this content or they are just trying it out to evaluate the market.
I wouldn't expect that GT Sport or similar games would sell that much more copies because of full VR content that it would bring in the development costs.

But with the growing install base I think PSVR will become more and more interesting for developers and I'm sure we will see more content in the future.

And Sony should invest even more money next-gen into getting games made for PSVR2. It's going to be the big differentiator when compared to MS and their Xbox 720.

Ar¢tos

It's getting harder and harder to resist psvr... Just got an email promoting the psvr + camera + 5 games (astrobot, Skyrim, doom, worlds and Wipeout) for 250€.
Why Sony? WHY?

mckmas8808

Banned
It's getting harder and harder to resist psvr... Just got an email promoting the psvr + camera + 5 games (astrobot, Skyrim, doom, worlds and Wipeout) for 250€.
Why Sony? WHY?

Dude you HAVE to buy that. They are basically selling you the PSVR unit for 100 euros and each game for 20 a piece.

Ar¢tos

Dude you HAVE to buy that. They are basically selling you the PSVR unit for 100 euros and each game for 20 a piece.
It's a weekend only deal, I'm gonna be strong and resist it. Im only interested in Astrobot and VR worlds and those will, most likely, be playable (and by then, very cheap) on ps5/PSVR2.
But PSVR2 ill get on release (if the screen has good res).

Romulus

It's a weekend only deal, I'm gonna be strong and resist it. Im only interested in Astrobot and VR worlds and those will, most likely, be playable (and by then, very cheap) on ps5/PSVR2.

I think we are looking at mid gen ps5 for psvr2 launch, so 2023 or so. My guess is the current headset will work with ps5.

Ar¢tos

I think we are looking at mid gen ps5 for psvr2 launch, so 2023 or so. My guess is the current headset will work with ps5.
I'm very susceptible to motion sickness, from all I heard the current psvr is not ideal because of the low res and a fov that could be improved. I will wait for an improved version next gen.

Romulus

I'm very susceptible to motion sickness, from all I heard the current psvr is not ideal because of the low res and a fov that could be improved. I will wait for an improved version next gen.

Yeah I'm not sure you'll ever be able to, maybe give PC a try at least and that might give you an idea for next gen console.

RavageX

So with the news that drive club will soon be on its way off, anyone wanna start playing it? I literally just started back up a few days before they announced that they would be ending support.

Elcid

Banned
I would have caved. I bought mine last year for 250 USD for Borderlands 2, the headset, the move controllers, the camera, and Beat Saber. That week coincidentally a shit ton of PSVR games were on sale for like 5-10 bucks so I got a huge collection for cheap cheap.

I just beat Astrobot last night actually. Did like a 4 hour grind on it. That game is just incredible. They did such an amazing job with the levels and bosses. I'm looking forward to more PSVR platformers.

RavageX

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/04/02/blood-truth-brings-action-movie-moments-to-life-in-ps-vr/

Great impressions for Blood and Truth.

Also, in case some of you missed it, Iron Man VR is not on rails and received glowing previews from the media this past week despite the bad trailer, several different sources called it "the closest to feeling like a superhero" yet.

That's what I heard, but they really need to show a better video than they did. The one I saw almost killed my interest entirely because it looked like a cheap Marvel cash in.

Romulus

That's what I heard, but they really need to show a better video than they did. The one I saw almost killed my interest entirely because it looked like a cheap Marvel cash in.

Yea the reveal was terrible, one of the worst I've seen considering how much the media liked it.

mckmas8808

Banned
How Iron Man VR landed on PlayStation VR

For Ryan Payton, the moment of truth is drawing near. A few years ago, he convinced Jay Ong, the head of Marvel Games, to entrust him with Iron Man.
Payton’s studio, Camafloj, finally revealed what it was doing this week with Iron Man VR. They have been trying to perfect Iron Man’s flights of fancy in the three-dimensional spaces of virtual reality. I tried it out, and the experience is immersive. You point the PlayStation Move controllers, with your palms down and pressing buttons so that you can fire your thrusters and move upward in VR.
You can point a palm at an enemy and fire your Repulsor Beams
. The motions are a lot like the fantasy of being Iron Man, and that’s the way Payton wants it. I talked to him at a recent Sony event about making the Iron Man of his dreams and bringing it to the world. The game debuts in 2019 on PlayStation VR.

GamesBeat: How did you get connected with Marvel?

Ryan Payton: I was a journalist way back in the day. One of the folks I used to work with was Bryan Intihar, one of my best friends. Eventually, he became creative director on Spider-Man. Around the time they announced at E3 2016, he introduced me to Jay Ong, the head of Marvel Games, in the Marriott lobby, where all biz dev happens at E3. From there it was a snowball effect. I knew I’d love to work with Marvel and it seemed like they wanted to work with us on a VR game. One thing led to another, and next thing I knew we were working with Marvel on Iron Man VR. We eventually created a partnership with Sony, and they’ve been extremely supportive. They’ve always been about wanting to enable developers like Camouflaj to make not just an experimental game, but a full-fledged real game for PlayStation VR. That’s what we’ve been doing for the past two-and-a-half years

GamesBeat: What had you done before that? Have you done anything else in VR?

Payton: Our first foray into VR was actually doing a VR port for our first game a company, which was called Republique. We did a game called Republique VR, which was a launch title for Oculus Go. We were working on that with a small team while the majority of the team — it’s a 50-plus person team up in Seattle — was working on Iron Man VR. If you include contract help at the moment, we’re well over 60 people on the game right now.

GamesBeat: I wondered how you did that, because the sensors don’t usually allow that.

Payton: We have some absolute wizards working at Camouflaj and our development partners at Dark Wind in New York. They weren’t intimidated by the challenge of having only the single PlayStation VR camera. We designed the game so players can move around 360, uninhibited, and not have to worry about where they’re looking and whether they’re facing the camera. There’s a bunch of tricks underneath the hood, a dozen or so unique things we’re doing that are predictive, that use the gyroscope in the Move controllers.

https://uploadvr.com/how-iron-man-vr-landed-on-playstation-vr/

There's more of the interview of Ryan Payton and GamesBeat in the link. This game is shaping up to feel like a great Fall PSVR game that will be packed in. What do you guys think?

wondermega

There's more of the interview of Ryan Payton and GamesBeat in the link. This game is shaping up to feel like a great Fall PSVR game that will be packed in. What do you guys think?

I mean, Marvel/Sony obviously deserve some clout for how the Spidey game was handled, so for starters that is very encouraging. And Sony's VR department has a pretty strong track record over the past year with what they've published, although there are a couple of notable mis-steps (Bravo, Inpatient). Yeah, the Spidey VR thing was trash but as it was a little rushed zero-budget promo thing I think it's fair to not consider it. Anyway, the previews for this sound positive so far. I'll remain cautiously optimistic and give Sony the benefit of the doubt that they are on the ball. Time will tell..

mckmas8808

Banned
Falcon Age Review: A Memorable Adventure With Slightly Clipped Wings

falcon_pet.gif

POSITIVES​
- Building a bond with your falcon is genuinely heartwarming​
- A meaty adventure with an open-world and side-missions​
NEGATIVES​
- Lots of bugs, many of which are significant​
- Feels overstuffed with more features than it needed​
Final Score: 7/10 – Good
Falcon Age nurtures a soft spot inside of you, one big enough to overlook many of its technical shortcomings. It’s a sentimental game, one that knows VR’s ability to build relationships is as compelling as and additive to any other feature. It never fully capitalizes on that connection in the way you might expect, but it’s a spark of companionship to be cherished all the same. That’s something the industry could use a little more of.​
https://uploadvr.com/falcon-age-review/

So it seems to be a decent game. I'll wait for some of you guys to play it first to see if I should get it or not.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Paper Beast Is A Fascinating New PSVR Game From The Maker Of Another World

32594674737_61453788fe_h.jpg

The debut title from Pixel Reef, the new studio founded by famed creator Eric Chahi. Hi! I am Eric Chahi, maker of Another World (Out of this World in US). I’m thrilled to introduce you to our new game, Paper Beast, set for a release later in 2019 for PlayStation VR. Somewhere deep down in the vast memory of a data server, an ecosystem has emerged. Decades of lost code and algorithms have accumulated in the eddies and flows of the Internet. A small bubble of life has blossomed. Paper Beast is born.

We will tell you a story, but the narration is unspoken. Through the events of the world, their pacing, the story unfolds. Much like Another World, there is no text or dialogue. There is only the environment, and you will feel immediately connected to it. Our physics system enriches the experience through simple interaction and manipulation of the environment.
We also wanted the environment to be meaningful and touching. The creatures you’ll meet, all made of paper, are the symbolic bridge between the world of men and the world of information technology.

One of the VR lessons I learned during development is just how critical sound is for immersion. In movies they say that sound is 50% of a picture. Everything becomes so more tangible with authentic sounds. That is even more true in VR. Sound is 50% of space! At Pixel Reef, we have three people working full-time to deliver an outstanding binaural experience.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...tor-of-another-world-out-this-year-for-ps-vr/

Looks like another interesting Fall 2019 PSVR game. I haven't heard of the creator before, but maybe some of you have.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's incredible how much support PSVR is getting in 2019 and I'm sure there are more announcements.

I usually would like to play about 5 PSVR games per year. And I usually play the best ones. I think we are about 1 or 2 games short of me fulfilling that list (depending on how they get reviewed). And I'm counting No Mans Sky VR on my 2019 list because to me it's like a new game.

Fired up the PSVR earlier today after a couple months break.

1. Polybius is amazing :) I had a smile on my face the entire time, and the music is great to :) Every PSVR owner has to buy this game.

2. Firewall is played out. Same old maps, same old mode. Also got kicked 3 times during my 45 minute play session because the host left. This game needs at least 2-3 new maps and a Team Death Match mode where you can respawn. But that's never gonna happen.

Grinchy

Banned
Firewall is just such a tragic shame. The one single glaring issue of not having host migration causes all the biggest issues making the game not worth playing.

They can't even add multiple rounds without host migration. Imagine how pissed you'd be if you were on round 3 of 3 and the host left, killing the room and removing all progress from the previous rounds.

If they had just been able to include host migration or provide dedicated servers, they could have done so much with the game and it could have been the quintessential VR multiplayer game. They did a lot of other things very right with it.

Ghost Giant is getting wild reviews, on par with Moss. This one featured on the State of Play and pretty much went under radar, even under VR standards.

I will buy it as soon as it appears on the store.

mckmas8808

Banned
Ghost Giant Review: A Bold And Brave Adventure That Hides A VR Treasure

GhostGiant_01_Mouseoleum-1-1030x579.jpeg

POSITIVES
- Assured, breathless navigation of heavy subject matter
- Meaningful interactions that get to the heart of VR
- Wonderful presentation on every level

NEGATIVES
- Puzzles sometimes more of a roadblock than a fun challenge

Final Score: 9/10 – Amazing
Ghost Giant feels significant. Not just in its assured navigation of heavy subject matter, but in the way those themes bleed out into the wider world and the interactions you share with Louis. It’s an experience in which emotional weight guides your each and every action, giving you reason to act beyond a simple state of failing and succeeding. It is at times delightful and at others unflinching, with moments that VR purity that tear down the barrier between you and your companion. If you want a look at where the true power of VR lies, look no further than Ghost Giant.​

Last edited:

McCheese

Oh wow, Ghost Giant from fuckin nowhere with those 9/10 scores! and I only just picked up Falcon Age which also wasn't on my radar until a day or two before it hit (it's great by the way).

Looking ahead at what I've got pre-ordered, I have 3 PSVR titles, one flat title, and will get dreams which support both. It's pretty nuts that in 2019, the PSVR may end-up outshining the base system in terms of game releases, with Iron Man, Blood and Truth, Everybody's Golf etc still to come.

Last edited:
Top Bottom