• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

gifgaf

It's off, I don't even have PS Plus. Playing on a fat PS4. Maybe it runs better on the Pro? (despite apparently not supporting it for VR mode) It's just weird that I haven't seen anyone else mention it, neither here, nor era, nor reddit, etc. I'm hoping Digital Foundry does an analysis on it.

All smooth for me, I am on pro though.

Romulus

It's off, I don't even have PS Plus. Playing on a fat PS4. Maybe it runs better on the Pro? (despite apparently not supporting it for VR mode) It's just weird that I haven't seen anyone else mention it, neither here, nor era, nor reddit, etc. I'm hoping Digital Foundry does an analysis on it.

Pro will improve framerates automatically because of the cpus extra clock speed sometimes. Theres a comparison vid where a guy talks about this and that the pro has a better framerate but I haven't heard of it skipping on planets like that on OG ps4 or pro. I would suggest opening a ticket on Hello Games's site.

Last edited:
I ended up getting Battlewake last night $33.00 CAD, I've had fun with it so far. I played through the first part of the campaign and into a bit of the second part of the next characters campaign. As a big fan of Sea Of Thieves and just pirate games in general Assassin's Creed Black Flag (maybe one day Skull & Bones haha) I've been excited to play this as I've been following it a bit leading up to the release yesterday.

So this game is not Sea Of Thieves, you're always on your ship and its ship to ship combat for those who aren't familiar. The controls for maneuvering the ship are actually pretty amazing. You learn pretty quick that the anchors to your left and right side are your best friends as you can hard turn by pulling one at a time. As you're pulling those 'anchor brakes' you're also steering your ship and as you're doing all that you with the Playstation Move controllers you're also pointing and clicking either with the left or right controller to aim where your galley full of cannons will fire. The firing can be a bit awkward at times (theres alot going on) but it works and I can also chalk this up to me still learning. I will say control wise its super accessible to first time players and it won't take long to figure it out. It feels pretty rewarding pulling a hard turn, between two ships, steering through them and sinking them in one fluid motion as seen in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Visually the game does kind of sport a Sea of Thieves visual style, with its characters which is probably the only reason you could compare the two. Sailing one of four pirate ships into battle through one of four levels... a jungle/ swamp level with trees for cover, a frozen level with huge icebergs, a tropical sort of level with little islands and clear blue skies and through a volcano hellscape with debris falling into the water are all pretty amazing in VR with some pretty good visuals. Best of all for those without their VR legs, sailing on the seas in Battlewake shouldn't give you motion sickness, the frame rate is good and the visuals keep up, I did read before hand this was a big focus for the dev team (Survios).

I also got into Warfare mode abit which varied things up from what I played in the campaign, their were treasure ships to hunt down and other ships protecting them. There were boss battles after an onslaught of smaller ships and there were modes within Warfare mode where I was firing my cannons on an enemy stronghold as I fended off other ships. I liked this mode quite a bit, although I think theres room for more creativity with more modes likely in some DLC. Each battle you win can win you tankards of grogs or coins to upgrade your ships health, magic or firepower.

Maybe my fav part of the game is each Captain you play as has their own special ability, keep in mind I've only unlocked two out of four captains but I absolutely love those glorious times when you get to use the special ability. My fav so far has been to unleash the Kraken and watch in VR as the giant octopus pulls ships under the sea with its huge tentacles. Last night I tried this on a boss ship and it was an experience to see that ship halfway out of the water with the stern sticking into the air and the bow submerged as the beast unleashed chaos in full scale VR.

Incase you're wondering their is a multiplayer mode online PvP up to 10 players (no I haven't tried it yet) but this is where upgrading your ship and replay value sets in.

I think there is more potential in this game, I would really like to see more things like Megladons attacking your ship, ghost pirate ships and more interactive levels aside from whats in there already. I hope this game gets the support it deserves as its off to a good start but will likely need more content to keep it going. You won't have a bad time by trying out this game for what it is right now though and theres enough hectic fun in single player mode (Warefare mode) to warrant a purchase but eventually it will need more missions and maps.

Last edited:

Romulus

I ended up getting Battlewake last night $33.00 CAD, I've had fun with it so far. I played through the first part of the campaign and into a bit of the second part of the next characters campaign. As a big fan of Sea Of Thieves and just pirate games in general Assassin's Creed Black Flag (maybe one day Skull & Bones haha) I've been excited to play this as I've been following it a bit leading up to the release yesterday.

So this game is not Sea Of Thieves, you're always on your ship and its ship to ship combat for those who aren't familiar. The controls for maneuvering the ship are actually pretty amazing. You learn pretty quick that the anchors to your left and right side are your best friends as you can hard turn by pulling one at a time. As you're pulling those 'anchor brakes' you're also steering your ship and as you're doing all that you with the Playstation Move controllers you're also pointing and clicking either with the left or right controller to aim where your galley full of cannons will fire. The firing can be a bit awkward at times (theres alot going on) but it works and I can also chalk this up to me still learning. I will say control wise its super accessible to first time players and it won't take long to figure it out. It feels pretty rewarding pulling a hard turn, between two ships, steering through them and sinking them in one fluid motion as seen in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Visually the game does kind of sport a Sea of Thieves visual style, with its characters which is probably the only reason you could compare the two. Sailing one of four pirate ships into battle through one of four levels... a jungle/ swamp level with trees for cover, a frozen level with huge icebergs, a tropical sort of level with little islands and clear blue skies and through a volcano hellscape with debris falling into the water are all pretty amazing in VR with some pretty good visuals. Best of all for those without their VR legs, sailing on the seas in Battlewake shouldn't give you motion sickness, the frame rate is good and the visuals keep up, I did read before hand this was a big focus for the dev team (Survios).

I also got into Warfare mode abit which varied things up from what I played in the campaign, their were treasure ships to hunt down and other ships protecting them. There were boss battles after an onslaught of smaller ships and there were modes within Warfare mode where I was firing my cannons on an enemy stronghold as I fended off other ships. I liked this mode quite a bit, although I think theres room for more creativity with more modes likely in some DLC. Each battle you win can win you tankards of grogs or coins to upgrade your ships health, magic or firepower.

Maybe my fav part of the game is each Captain you play as has their own special ability, keep in mind I've only unlocked two out of four captains but I absolutely love those glorious times when you get to use the special ability. My fav so far has been to unleash the Kraken and watch in VR as the giant octopus pulls ships under the sea with its huge tentacles. Last night I tried this on a boss ship and it was an experience to see that ship halfway out of the water with the stern sticking into the air and the bow submerged as the beast unleashed chaos in full scale VR.

Incase you're wondering their is a multiplayer mode online PvP up to 10 players (no I haven't tried it yet) but this is where upgrading your ship and replay value sets in.

I think there is more potential in this game, I would really like to see more things like Megladons attacking your ship, ghost pirate ships and more interactive levels aside from whats in there already. I hope this game gets the support it deserves as its off to a good start but will likely need more content to keep it going. You won't have a bad time by trying out this game for what it is right now though and theres enough hectic fun in single player mode (Warefare mode) to warrant a purchase but eventually it will need more missions and maps.

I'm hearing good things about it.

A Survios rep in an online group I'm in has now confirmed that they are currently working on a PS4 Pro patch already, 'wanting to squeeze the most they can out of the PSVR.'

3 quarters of the way through the campaign now and unlocked another ship, she's a beaut, very 'Black Pearl'. The skeleton Captain is pretty cool too, although I still favour the female Captain due to her ability to summon the Kraken.

Also it should be known that grogs only upgrade your ship temporarily while playing, once you start over your ship starts over. Coins however allow you to unlock things for your ships permanently.

Sadly I was not able to get a game online, not enough players and it looked like I was the only one in the lobby. Maybe I'll try during the day or over the weekend, it was only released yesterday.

Shmunter

Blood & Truth hard mode patch is out. It was stupidly easy at release and wish I waited for this.

In fact I’m a bit salty how casual the game was at release. Have not tested the patch yet.

Blood & Truth hard mode patch is out. It was stupidly easy at release and wish I waited for this.

In fact I’m a bit salty how casual the game was at release. Have not tested the patch yet.
I played through the challenges today, the update of course brings support for the Aim controller in Blood & Truth, not for the main game but a separate set of challenges, almost like gun club but done very well with the Blood & Truth style. It also adds a Hard mode to the main story which I did not try yet and the update came in at just over 5GB's last night.

There is enough variation within these challenges with the Aim controller to give some decent replay value between different levels, weapons used and a skeet shooting mode which is more difficult that it sounds.

Dual wielding guns are handled by using the main trigger on the aim controller and X to reload, while your other gun is fired and reloaded with the L1/ L2 buttons located on the front of the Aim controller. This only felt a bit awkward when wielding dual sawed off shotguns but otherwise worked pretty well.

There are leaderboards with a focus on these challenges being competitive although I would say not many people have played just yet cause I took the number 3 spot regionally for one set of challenges and #20 in the world.

Don't be too salty, Blood & Truth was almost certainly going to get more support after the initial hype died down and this should give most people who picked it up to go back in and play through again and try out the new challenges, its nice to see London Studios giving this the support it deserves.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I played through the challenges today, the update of course brings support for the Aim controller in Blood & Truth, not for the main game but a separate set of challenges, almost like gun club but done very well with the Blood & Truth style. It also adds a Hard mode to the main story which I did not try yet and the update came in at just over 5GB's last night.

There is enough variation within these challenges with the Aim controller to give some decent replay value between different levels, weapons used and a skeet shooting mode which is more difficult that it sounds.

Dual wielding guns are handled by using the main trigger on the aim controller and X to reload, while your other gun is fired and reloaded with the L1/ L2 buttons located on the front of the Aim controller. This only felt a bit awkward when wielding dual sawed off shotguns but otherwise worked pretty well.

There are leaderboards with a focus on these challenges being competitive although I would say not many people have played just yet cause I took the number 3 spot regionally for one set of challenges and #20 in the world.

Don't be too salty, Blood & Truth was almost certainly going to get more support after the initial hype died down and this should give most people who picked it up to go back in and play through again and try out the new challenges, its nice to see London Studios giving this the support it deserves.

I need someone to play the main game with Hard mode, so I know if I should play it that way for the first time or not.

Shmunter

I need someone to play the main game with Hard mode, so I know if I should play it that way for the first time or not.
For me, the original mode took away from the title. You just end up sleepwalking through the amazing set pieces. The handful of times you die is due to being careless as response to the almost non existent challenge.

I’d put my money on hard mode. Assuming it genuinely increases the difficulty to a meaningful level..

Last edited:

RavageX

I know that the demo was pretty easy, Im sure I'll play on hard when I do start the actual game, which is on sale now(or was) for those unaware.

mckmas8808

I know that the demo was pretty easy, Im sure I'll play on hard when I do start the actual game, which is on sale now(or was) for those unaware.

Yeah I just got the game on sale for $20, that's why I'm asking. I don't want to be disappointed and play on normal. But I also don't know if the hard mode is just too hard.

Grinchy

Banned
It wasn't the blurriness that kept me from sinking way more time into NMS VR. It was (the 100+ hours I already played the game) plus the horrific load times that made my NMS VR revisit a short one.

On a TV, when you have a loading screen (which is a huge portion of the later game playtime), you can grab your phone or do something else while it's doing that horrible sound effect and visual. In VR, you're stuck staring and listening to that shit for minutes at a time only to arrive at your base, do what you came for, and go right back to the portal for another 2+ minute load screen blaring in your ears and searing your eyes.

Wonko_C

I hope to hear some feedback on how much it improves, I like the game...but yeah it didn't look too good in VR, no complaints though.
I didn't notice anything different, but consensus on reddit is it was improved a bit. I'm not really good at noticing that kind of stuff, though.

INC

Has blood and truth add an option to skip through the sitting story stuff, absolutely kills the pace of the game

Harlock

Thinking about buying a PSVR now. Any problems using with a base PS4 model with external HD attached? The VR uses only one usb, right?

Grinchy

Banned
So I just finally got around to trying Moss. For the first 10 minutes or so, I was starting to wonder if this game wasn't going to be for me. Then, it got so damn good. I might be liking it more than Astrobot just in the sense that I like puzzling aspects more than platformer combat.

Grinchy

Banned
I beat Moss at a little over 5 hours I think. Awesome game. The story isn't anything special and is geared heavily for little kids, and there's a spot here and there where the voice acting is way off, but the game itself is very well done. The puzzles are never unfair but can have you sitting there scratching your head for a moment and the graphics are pretty incredible.

Romulus

What are your guys thoughts on LA Noire VR?

I played it on PC VR and liked it, supposedly the PSVR version has update visuals and new modes like racing.

Also, Dirt Rally VR is on sale for $10, its a no brainer if you like sim racers. It has a learning curve but its very rewarding, especiallly in VR

mckmas8808

I played it on PC VR and liked it, supposedly the PSVR version has update visuals and new modes like racing.

Also, Dirt Rally VR is on sale for $10, its a no brainer if you like sim racers. It has a learning curve but its very rewarding, especiallly in VR

Do you have to actually read their facial animations within VR too?

Wonko_C

PSVR2 patent would be wireless via Bluetooth, have two front-facing cameras, one in the back, and the next "Move" controller would have 1 camera as well.

Last edited:

INC

Most important 2 things I wanna hear now

The screen resolution a d FoV (psvr is trash), but still amazing for the price

Does the new move have analogue sticks, it's a big set back currently on psvr, the AIM controller is great tho, hopefully it'll like knuckles or better

mckmas8808

PSVR2 patent would be wireless via Bluetooth, have two front-facing cameras, one in the back, and the next "Move" controller would have 1 camera as well.

WHOA! This sounds like a HUGE generation jump if they follow through with this.

Grinchy

Banned
That would be pretty crazy for a headset that does both VR and AR.

I'm just trying to imagine what it looks like to be staring at the same room I'm in now but from two cameras that are simulating the depth for my brain.

Wonko_C

PSVR Without Parole's 2nd annual PlayStation VR Awards Show. It might be a homebrew awards show but there are a few exclusive looks at upcoming games and world premieres in there. Maybe some devs receiving the awards too. ;)

Wonko_C

Pretty interesting. Bow and arrows work great in VR if Horizon comes over.

Many people with little imagination over at purpleGAF (can't create an account there as I no longer have my paid email acct.) thinking this is either gonna be "Aloy's crossbow training" or some other type of mini-game experience (VR naysayers: It's not 2016 anymore, ugh.), or just a port of HZD in VR. I foolishly assumed most would have thought it was going to be a Blood & Truth-style game set in HZD's world, with bow&arrows instead of guns... (What? I have a lack of imagination too :messenger_winking_tongue: )

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm more of the expectation that it'd be some kind of first person bow shooting game. They've got an engine and assets and could throw together a pretty decent little VR experience.

But, if they actually put money behind it and you can walk around and use your bow and play the game mostly how you play the regular game with story bits and everything involved, I'll be pretty damn impressed.

Grinchy

Banned
Moss is on sale for the next few weeks on the digital store. I really recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

The only real weak thing about it is the very generic storyline. Everything else is pretty top notch. It's more of a puzzle platformer than an action one. It's just very solid from start to finish.

mckmas8808

I've played through about half of Blood and Truth and it's really is a fun game. I thought the visuals would be better, but the actual gameplay is super fun.

Grinchy

Banned
Well, my buddy and I each grabbed a $10 copy of Bravo Team during the sale. We played it tonight.

I guess I could start with the positives. Shooting the gun actually feels good and my tracking held up well through the ~1+ hour session we had. The graphics are on the above average side for PSVR games. It's not a lazily-made game. But you can just tell it had some kind of troubled development. It's like they had to make a tough choice at some point to just put something finished out instead of taking their building blocks and making something fun and different.

With the assets they have already made and the mechanics they nailed down, they could have actually made something more interesting than this. Instead, we have this campaign where a story rattles on in your ear that you won't pay even 1 second's worth of attention to. You move from node to node, shooting the same generic bad guys over and over in areas that basically all look the same. You keep wondering when something different will take place, but it never does. We are going to check out the score attack mode next time, so maybe that solves all the problems for all I know.

Grinchy

Banned
We finished the campaign tonight. God damn, Bravo Team sucks so bad as a game. You don't unlock the score attack mode until you finish the campaign and it is what the game should have been. You get score bonuses based on hitting heads and stuff. You build up a multiplier for score, ect.

It's clear that this is what the game was supposed to be, but they wanted it to seem like there was more to the package so they separated out the exact same thing without any interesting thing going on and called it a campaign.

I do feel for anyone who spent full price on this terrible game. Even at $10, I wish I could get my money back.

Last edited:

Shmunter

We finished the campaign tonight. God damn, Bravo Team sucks so bad as a game. You don't unlock the score attack mode until you finish the campaign and it is what the game should have been. You get score bonuses based on hitting heads and stuff. You build up a multiplier for score, ect.

It's clear that this is what the game was supposed to be, but they wanted it to seem like there was more to the package so they separated out the exact same thing without any interesting thing going on and called it a campaign.

I do feel for anyone who spent full price on this terrible game. Even at $10, I wish I could get my money back.
Possibly one of the reasons Sony didn’t acquire Supermassive

Last edited:

Karppuuna

It's a crime that there are only 1 good car racing game in PSVR and that is Dirt Rally 1.
GT Sport would be great but some reason it's only very shallow, what a shame that Sony don't push Polyphony to make more VR content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom