• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Golem use supersampling in PS4 Pro, that could be first and only game that use it in PSVR at the moment.
I expect to see a lot more supersapling in PSVR when PS5 is released.

I hope we get a lot of PS5 patches to the current PS4 PSVR games to make them native 4k as it would make the games look so much better in the current headset.

Last edited:

lachesis

Please don't play RE7 in VR until you play at least 5-10 hours of other VR games. I don't want you to get sick.

Yes - I am planning to do just that. Will be saving Skyrim and RE7 for later, and do a bit of other VR games that are more static.
Also before tackling it - I still need to finish the RE6 and Revelations 2... even though the order doesn't really matter for RE games, I'd like to keep my experience in chronological order. :)

Wonko_C

Playing RE7 without VR for the first time is tragic.

Indeed. I played it for the first time (flat version) on PC because I didn't even think about buying a VR headset at that time. My PSVR playthrough a year later was cool, but since I knew the game inside-out by that time nothing was scary anymore. OTOH I would probably just have chickened out and not played it at all if my first playthrough was in VR. :p

Last edited:

lachesis

Playing RE7 without VR for the first time is tragic.

Well I didn't even get to enter the house yet... I did see a glimps of a guy passing by in the woods, and that's pretty much where I turned it off for the night... so hopefully I didn't ruin it too much!

To be honest the scariest part so far is the missing wife's video in the beginning of the game that she'd be coming home etc etc. She looked rather scary. LOL.

Grinchy

Banned
I know that no one cares about Fantastic Contraption, but I like it a lot. Probably too much. You basically just build a contraption that solves some simple problem, and the problems get more complex as the levels get higher.

You can also cheat by making ridiculous contraptions that break the intent of the level. Like in this level, you have to take this big, heavy square to the goal area but you have these falling surfaces to traverse. I said fuck that and built a giant catapult with 3 powered wheels to help lift and throw the piece far enough.

pntLBh5.gif

Using the 2 Move controllers to build and stretch everything from scratch is so satisfying.

Romulus

Ace Combat 7 is $15 at target today. The psvr mode while short, is really good. I've played them probably 20 times and barely touched the regular game.

Last edited:

Dai Kaiju

I'm getting my son a psvr bundle for Christmas that comes with blood and truth and some golf fudgery. What are 3 games that you think a 9 hear old would love? His favorite games are Ark: survival evolved and Minecraft. He's not allowed to play anything rated M.

Grinchy

Banned
My nephew was crazy about Job Simulator at around 9 years old. He had watched youtube videos of people playing it so much that he had all of the scenarios memorized by the time he could try it.

Shmunter

Not enough praise for Firewall Zero Hour with the gun peripheral. The most re-playable game in VR, right up there with the best available in 2d.

Grinchy

Banned
I have a love/hate relationship with Firewall. I played like 60 hours of it when it came out. At least 30 of those hours were staring at the lobby and loading screens.

If they just could have figured out host migration or could have been a big enough team to afford their own dedicated servers, almost every problem with the game would disappear (a single short round after minutes of waiting, the host leaving kills the entire match, ect).

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Well, I finally beat all 50 base levels of Fantastic Contraption plus the extra ones they added in an update. What a chunky ass game! If you're into it, there's no shortage of levels. The last level was such an absolute bitch. I probably spent 5 hours on it over the course of a week.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone have Everybody's Golf VR? Tonight I got around to trying out the demo. I'm kind of impressed. The handling of the clubs and the way the putting felt was all pretty damn nice. I played a ton of the PS3 and Vita versions of the game, so I have to imagine it gets even better in the VR version when you can actually play a hole.

Last edited:

Romulus

Anyone have Everybody's Golf VR? Tonight I got around to trying out the demo. I'm kind of impressed. The handling of the clubs and the way the putting felt was all pretty damn nice. I played a ton of the PS3 and Vita versions of the game, so I have to imagine it gets even better in the VR version when you can actually play a hole.

I played the demo and was impressed too, but I'm not really a golf fan.

Ive had mine since launch, but just now getting back into it. Picked up Frontlines(?) And Beat Saber. Is there any free to play games or apps that are worth it?

Grinchy

Banned
I bit the bullet and bought Everybody's Golf. I can see now why they set the demo up they way they did with not letting you try a course. The demo shows you the great controls and visuals and sets you up to expect this awesome and complete Hot Shots Golf package in the full release.

The full release feels extremely barebones, unfortunately. There are 3 courses. There don't even seem to be tournaments like the other games. You're not playing against anyone. You are just out there on the course trying to better you personal scores over and over again and that's the entire game.

Every time you load into the course, the caddy tries go to into this 3+ minute spiel about the weather and stuff and you know you're just supposed to be staring at her tits or something but if you're older than 15 and know that tits don't feel like bags of sand, it's just going to annoy you that you have to skip this dumb introduction every single time.

If you mess up a single putt, you might as well just quit and restart the match. Lots of loading and menu manipulation follows, along with having to skip the caddy's fucking cutscene again...all because of one failed putt.

RavageX

I bit the bullet and bought Everybody's Golf. I can see now why they set the demo up they way they did with not letting you try a course. The demo shows you the great controls and visuals and sets you up to expect this awesome and complete Hot Shots Golf package in the full release.

The full release feels extremely barebones, unfortunately. There are 3 courses. There don't even seem to be tournaments like the other games. You're not playing against anyone. You are just out there on the course trying to better you personal scores over and over again and that's the entire game.

Every time you load into the course, the caddy tries go to into this 3+ minute spiel about the weather and stuff and you know you're just supposed to be staring at her tits or something but if you're older than 15 and know that tits don't feel like bags of sand, it's just going to annoy you that you have to skip this dumb introduction every single time.

If you mess up a single putt, you might as well just quit and restart the match. Lots of loading and menu manipulation follows, along with having to skip the caddy's fucking cutscene again...all because of one failed putt.

I've been sitting on the fence with this game for so long, I'm glad to finally hear from someone who got the game. I was afraid it would be something like that.

Shmunter

Inexcusable. Sounds like a mode that should have been attached to the 2d game.

Grinchy

Banned
People may not know that Racket Fury (fucking awesome table tennis VR game) got a multiplayer update along with some other content like new arenas.

I got matched up against a guy from Germany just now and we played a couple awesome and intense games. There was some lag since we're on different sides of the globe, but damn I wish this game had a huge following online.

People may not know that Racket Fury (fucking awesome table tennis VR game) got a multiplayer update along with some other content like new arenas.

I got matched up against a guy from Germany just now and we played a couple awesome and intense games. There was some lag since we're on different sides of the globe, but damn I wish this game had a huge following online.
Heh, funny, I (a German) tried the Multiplayer a while ago and had a real funny (if not outright lagless) match with a nice guy from Mexico. The mode works aside from the bad connection.

Grinchy

Banned
I do not get motion sickness or have any problems with heights or elevators or anything in real life, but when you go down that very tall elevator into the bat cave in the Batman VR game, that was fucking me up pretty bad. When I realized I was doing the Slav squat so as not to fall over, I had to take the headset off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've been meaning to post here for some time.

I love the Batman VR game. The atmosphere is amazing. I actually sat down at the title screen and just took in the view. I mean to virtually be in Gotham? Just amazing.

Anyone play to the end? I still think about that final sequence. It really shows what VR can do.

Also did you view all the vehicles and view the character? Or view them in you hand? Great stuff. I want more.

BTW. I've had my PSVR Since launch and still works perfectly.

Must haves

Wipeout VR
ASTROBOT
Beat Saber
Farpoint
Batman VR
Skyrim VR
RE7... But I crawl through this game.
No Man's Sky

When kids want to check it out

Job Simulator + Superhot... I have to make them stop playing...
Battlewake
I expect you to Die
Carnival Games

Other ones I like

Doom VFR
Ace Combat 7..... More please!
Robinson Journey... This one really surprised me.
Tetris Effect
Blood and Truth
PS Worlds
Transference
Star Trek
Here they Lie
Moss
No Heroes Allowed VR
Gran Turismo
Zone of Enders
Thumper
Pinball
Rush of Blood...

Its probably just me, but I also really enjoyed

Star wars X-wing... 15 times.. it's underrated.

Kingdom Hearts experience

COD Jackal ... I played this at least 10 times. It's BSG

Hulu"s Home theater

YouTube 360 videos

Voltron.. other episodes?

Last Gaurdian VR

I just picked up LA Noire.

Last edited:

Romulus

BTW. I've had my PSVR Since launch and still works perfectly.

Must haves

Wipeout VR
ASTROBOT
Beat Saber
Farpoint
Batman VR
Skyrim VR
RE7... But I crawl through this game.
No Man's Sky

When kids want to check it out

Job Simulator + Superhot... I have to make them stop playing...
Battlewake
I expect you to Die
Carnival Games

Other ones I like

Doom VFR
Ace Combat 7..... More please!
Robinson Journey... This one really surprised me.
Tetris Effect
Blood and Truth
PS Worlds
Transference
Star Trek
Here they Lie
Moss
No Heroes Allowed VR
Gran Turismo
Zone of Enders
Thumper
Pinball
Rush of Blood...

Its probably just me, but I also really enjoyed

Star wars X-wing... 15 times.. it's underrated.

Kingdom Hearts experience

COD Jackal ... I played this at least 10 times. It's BSG

Hulu"s Home theater

YouTube 360 videos

Voltron.. other episodes?

Last Gaurdian VR

I just picked up LA Noire.

Robinson the Journey made me smile from ear to ear several times.

Wonko_C

I really want to play Robinson but it's like the most expensive VR game ever I think.

But just got Apex Construct for $8 and it's really good!

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I really want to play Robinson but it's like the most expensive VR game ever I think.

But just got Apex Construct for $8 and it's really good!
I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion on the game. I think it's bad. Even at the launch, when hype and amazement was at its highest, I couldn't stand this game.

The graphics were nice at the time and probably still are, but I didn't find that there was actually a game there. It was more like a walking simulator with tedious roadblocks they called gameplay in the way to block you before you can start walking again. I got a copy of Apex for about the same price recently too. I'm just waiting for it to arrive on Thursday.

RavageX

I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion on the game. I think it's bad. Even at the launch, when hype and amazement was at its highest, I couldn't stand this game.

The graphics were nice at the time and probably still are, but I didn't find that there was actually a game there. It was more like a walking simulator with tedious roadblocks they called gameplay in the way to block you before you can start walking again. I got a copy of Apex for about the same price recently too. I'm just waiting for it to arrive on Thursday.

That's how I felt about Robinson too. I personally found it very boring.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know much about VR... I hear that Microsoft aren't concerning themselves with it for now... But some folk keep talking about it...

Do me a favour, guys, and give me your own pros/cons of VR... From what I hear it's kind of a joke, but some folk stand by it...

Romulus

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know much about VR... I hear that Microsoft aren't concerning themselves with it for now... But some folk keep talking about it...

Do me a favour, guys, and give me your own pros/cons of VR... From what I hear it's kind of a joke, but some folk stand by it...

You have to understand, most people that talk about it, have never tried it. Since 2016 i've demoed it to about 450 people, lots of gamers too. Often times, gamers would say before trying it: "This is kinda like kinect/gimmick/wii right?"

Never out of 400+ demos was one single person not surprised how different the tech was in person. Probably 90-95% were blown away. But most people just talk out of their ass.

Cons
-Nausea is possible for some
-Lower resolution than flat games
-setup can be cumbersome

Pros
+You're literally inside a videogame
+Scale is incredible, mountains seem like real mountains

The easiest thing is just go to best buy and demo it. Or google VR demo near me. It's worth it if immersion is something you enjoy in gaming.

Last edited:

fatty

I’m having family over for Christmas, any good casual PSVR games that are on sale that you would recommend? (I have Creed, Superhot, Ace Combat, Tetris and Astrobot). I would like some short, easy, fun games for them, since this will be a new experience for them.

Any good games on sale (doesn’t have to be casual friendly) that you guys would recommend? Will probability pick up BoxVR for fitness, Skyrim seems great just don’t know how long I could play in VR mode for a game so long.

Grinchy Grinchy , thanks for the review on Everbody’s Golf. Was going to pick it up but will stay away now. Hopefully Racket Fury goes on sale soon.

Grinchy

Banned
I was curious on a few occasions if there was a list of all NA physical releases for PSVR. I couldn't really find one, so I started making one. This list isn't pretty and a lot more information could be put on it (average price, ect) but it at least has the titles. I could be missing some. I basically just went through like 30 pages of Amazon listings with a search for psvr.

If you've ever cared about a list like that, here you go. I might keep it up to date, and I might forget it exists in a week. Stay tuned lol

Wonko_C

I was curious on a few occasions if there was a list of all NA physical releases for PSVR. I couldn't really find one, so I started making one. This list isn't pretty and a lot more information could be put on it (average price, ect) but it at least has the titles. I could be missing some. I basically just went through like 30 pages of Amazon listings with a search for psvr.

If you've ever cared about a list like that, here you go. I might keep it up to date, and I might forget it exists in a week. Stay tuned lol
I prefer digital for VR releases (harder to change discs while wearing the headset and controllers) but I got a friend who will love this list. :D

Grinchy

Banned
I prefer digital for VR releases (harder to change discs while wearing the headset and controllers) but I got a friend who will love this list. :D
My logical brain feels the same way. Whatever dumb part of my body that wants to complete a physical collection of PSVR games is pulling the strings on this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

RavageX

My logical brain feels the same way. Whatever dumb part of my body that wants to complete a physical collection of PSVR games is pulling the strings on this :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I have the same problem, I have been slowly switching some games to digital, mostly with VR cause it's less trouble, but I like having physical.....

Grinchy

Banned
I have the same problem, I have been slowly switching some games to digital, mostly with VR cause it's less trouble, but I like having physical.....
It's so weird for me bc I've specifically said even just a year ago that digital is the way to go for VR. And now I hunt deals on physical while avoiding digital...

Sometimes its bc i like being able to sell something I dont care for. I'd be selling Everybodys Golf if I got that on disc

Top Bottom