• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
How much of a weirdo does it make me that I still think Fantastic Contraption is one of the best PSVR games? I'm dying for a sequel with some refinements and new parts to play with.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been playing some Rick and Morty. It may not be perfect, but it's pretty damn fun. It has definitely helped take my mind off the shit going on these days. I like just fucking around in the garage and discovering crazy things you can do with all the tools around.

It really stresses the limits of the PSVR playspace, though. If you are able to have the camera up high and stand really far back, it'll be able to at least keep everything tracked (with controller wobble because of how far back you're standing). But man, even in my big already large PSVR playspace, I've had to tinker and stand even further to keep it from losing sight of my Move bulbs as the game requires a decent amount of crouching down to grab things.

Last edited:

Bankai

I'm still playing Skyrim VR, level 39 now :lollipop_grinning:

I finished quite some games on PSVR; Astrobot, Statik, Here They Lie, Kona, Robinson. But Skyrim VR.. man.. this is without a doubt the best & most immersive game I've played on it. I've played and finished it way back on Xbox360 & PC, but this is an entirely different experience (with move controllers!). I play as a thief/archer/one-handed/light armor darkelf and love every minute of it.
I've tried to do things really different from the times I played it on 360 and PC; I've even joined the Imperial Army :lollipop_thescream: I've got Mjoll as my follower and I married a chick from Whiterun.

Are/were you guys also so impressed by it?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm still playing Skyrim VR, level 39 now :lollipop_grinning:

I finished quite some games on PSVR; Astrobot, Statik, Here They Lie, Kona, Robinson. But Skyrim VR.. man.. this is without a doubt the best & most immersive game I've played on it. I've played and finished it way back on Xbox360 & PC, but this is an entirely different experience (with move controllers!). I play as a thief/archer/one-handed/light armor darkelf and love every minute of it.
I've tried to do things really different from the times I played it on 360 and PC; I've even joined the Imperial Army :lollipop_thescream: I've got Mjoll as my follower and I married a chick from Whiterun.

Are/were you guys also so impressed by it?
I remember it playing really awesome with the bow. I started with the vampire DLC and then just did regular base game stuff. I had already played so much Skyrim, but like you say, it's a whole different beast in VR.

Kev Kev

just ordered psvr with skyrim and re7 (and 3 other vr games... its that 5 game bundle they released last November i believe)

ive never had a vr experience... ever. not even like in an arcade or with a cell phone or anything. im beyond excited. pretty sure its going to be skyrim first.

so any info, tips or things i should know about? settings i should adjust? camera mounting tips? headphones, cables, anything?

im really curious to see if im a motion sickness person or not... really hoping not of course

Shmunter

just ordered psvr with skyrim and re7 (and 3 other vr games... its that 5 game bundle they released last November i believe)

ive never had a vr experience... ever. not even like in an arcade or with a cell phone or anything. im beyond excited. pretty sure its going to be skyrim first.

so any info, tips or things i should know about? settings i should adjust? camera mounting tips? headphones, cables, anything?

im really curious to see if im a motion sickness person or not... really hoping not of course

Start slow, games with ~room scale are best because movement is engaged by your own feet. E.g Job simulator. Get the PSVR demo disc or the PSvr worlds, play in the menus for a couple of hours. Still love it. Play standing up.

If you go with driving or fps like RE7 you may get motion sickness and it may put you off, ease into it.

And most importantly Don’t die. If you die in VR, you die in real life.

Kev Kev

games with ~room scale

not sure what you mean by this?

thanks for the help, ill make sure to start with vr worlds. i think that bundle i got comes with demo disc... although i dont have move controllers

EDIT: also, my setup is in my bedroom where there is like zero standing room so... i as planning on sitting upright on my bed like i normally do

Last edited:

Shmunter

thanks for the help, ill make sure to start with vr worlds. i think that bundle i got comes with demo disc... although i dont have move controllers

EDIT: also, my setup is in my bedroom where there is like zero standing room so... i as planning on sitting upright on my bed like i normally do
Room scale = essentially where you can walk around within the confines of the camera view. You don’t get sick because the world reflects your movement 1:1

INC

i highly suggest starting with a slow paced game, superhot is great for this, sony playroom, astro bot, all these help you get your sea legs

when you wanna move into locomotion games, try rec room paintball, runs fantastic, has full locomotion

once youre accustom to that, go for games like skyrim, firewall, re7 etc

doom runs like shit, dont even bother, ive been on VR for a while now, and can play any VR title, to this day skyrim and doom on psvr are the only games that make me feel sick, its the frame rate and FoV, just doesnt work for me. Skyrim on rift s is a different story tho

Impotaku

Make sure you go into the PSVR headset settings and calibrate the tracking lights on the headset. Also do the IPD adjustment for your eyes as that will help with any potential bluryness i can't remember exactly what the pupil distance thing is called in the PSVR menu but you'll spot it. Calibrating the headset tracking lights will help a lot with any potential wobble or janky movement.

If you start to feel dizzy or sick stop playing immediately do not try and force yourself or your body will associate been sick with vr. You may get lucky and have no reactions or you may have to slowly build up your playtime but take plenty of breaks.

Bankai

I got REALLY sick the first few times I tried Skyrim VR, without having played many other VR games. The game sucks with the teleport-motion option (IMO), free-roaming is the way to go! But.. you've got to "earn your VR legs" first.. start slow, with easier games to get into the feeling and let your mind get used to it. Astrobot is awesome for this, also VR Worlds and Statik.

Of course, this is different for everyone. But I was almost completely turned off by Skyrim VR, just because it made me so sick!

Impotaku

To be fair on skyrim though it gives you a lot of comfort settings to try and help you out but yes that one is a bit iffy if you try playing it as your first vr game.

Romulus

Walking Dead got a surprise release today and impressions are that it's really good. This is full release survival horror game with great reviews on pc btw.

It's also one of my top 3 vr games ever on pc and that's not easy company.

Last edited:

Romulus

Prepare yourself for lower resolution, but the trade off was soooooo worth it. You literally feel like your inside a videogame. It sounds like hyperbole but you'll see soon enough. And I think alot of gamers need something different with how samey everything is now. VR provides that in spades.

Also motion sickness in the beginning happens, but even then it gets alot better for most.

Last edited:

Resenge

I´m sorry if this has been answered before but here goes, does this VR work for people with strabism? Just asking for myself.
My brother has a bad lazy eye, I know its not the same as strabism but his depth perception is not great, he can't drive or ride a bike because of it. He could not see the 3D effect on the 3DS and was not hopeful about VR but it blew him away. I think he see's the 3D and depth effect more in VR than IRL.

I know its not what you were asking and your miles may vary. Can you try VR on a phone, Gear VR or Google Cardboard maybe? Even really bad VR will show you if the 3D VR effect will work or not then you can make the call. Just remember that phone VR is trash in comparison to a full size consumer headset.

Last edited:

Resenge

Walking Dead got a surprise release today and impressions are that it's really good. This is full release survival horror game with great reviews on pc btw.

It's also one of my top 3 vr games ever on pc and that's not easy company.
Just watched a livestream from PSVR Without Parole and he loved it. I have played the PCVR vers and loved it also, the PSVR version looks very close to that.

Controls look as good as you can get with the move controllers and I did not see any tracking problems at all. Overall I am impressed with the look of this port.

Romulus

Just watched a livestream from PSVR Without Parole and he loved it. I have played the PCVR vers and loved it also, the PSVR version looks very close to that.

Controls look as good as you can get with the move controllers and I did not see any tracking problems at all. Overall I am impressed with the look of this port.

Yeah I'm watching it now. I honestly didnt expect it to look this good on psvr! Really impressed with the tracking more than anything.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, I can't believe they just stealth-launched Walking Dead. Maybe the developers themselves didn't even know. They kept hinting at a release soon but talked about snags and waiting a little longer.

Are Sony really so insane that they would have the developers themselves not knowing when a game is going on the store? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Romulus

Just watched another stream of the Walking Dead. This looks like a black magic port. I really felt like the PSVR tracking would struggle here, but it doesn't seem that way at all, in fact it seems to be an example of some of the better tracking available on the unit. Not to mention being wrapped in a great game.

I think it will sell really well too.

cool beans, thanks for all the help! ill let yall know in a week or so how everything goes

I really hope you enjoy it, I also play all my VR games sitting down and it's still super immersive. RE7 was a true game changer for me and a top 10 gaming experience. I know it's been said before but I can't stress enough that if you start feeling even a little sick stop immediately. You may be having fun and want to ignore it but it can seriously ruin your entire day if you try and power through it. Looking forward to your impressions.

Nankatsu

The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners is out.

Anybody picking it up?

I've been reading some opinions in reddit and people say it's pretty damn good on PSVR.

Romulus

For the zero other people who care about physical copies of PSVR games, the developers of Saints & Sinners did a AMA and said they were "looking into" doing a physical copy. They also said that it took an engineering miracle to get it running on the base PS4.

Great news. They're also poring it to the standalone Quest which is even less powerful.

For the zero other people who care about physical copies of PSVR games, the developers of Saints & Sinners did a AMA and said they were "looking into" doing a physical copy. They also said that it took an engineering miracle to get it running on the base PS4.

I was hoping to grab a physical copy although I caved and grabbed it the other night. I'm just a short ways in now but the controls are pretty masterful, the visual style reminds me of Telltale's Walking Dead series.

Nankatsu

Well shit, I was wondering this myself...

I would rather have a physical edition of this than digital, but I have a feeling it will take them some time to make it happen.

I'll probably jump on to digital.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

my PSVR just showed up!
giphy.gif

and it looks new as advertised! fuck im stoked, got a couple hours before i go to mothers day dinner. gonna see if i can set this baby up and at least get it working.

and i got the whole day off tomorrow, fuck yeah!

Romulus

my PSVR just showed up!
giphy.gif

and it looks new as advertised! fuck im stoked, got a couple hours before i go to mothers day dinner. gonna see if i can set this baby up and at least get it working.

and i got the whole day off tomorrow, fuck yeah!

Try and be patient, the setup can be a bitch if you're not used to things like that. lol

Kev Kev

Try and be patient, the setup can be a bitch if you're not used to things like that. lol
yeah ill probably start today but finish tomorrow morning.... i actually went straight to looking up videos about set up and calibration after i posted that

in fatc, i may just do research today and get it started tomorrow

thanks!

Top Bottom