• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

RavageX

To confirm is it alright to let some of my friend to try the psvr2 with glasses? A bit scare for the lenses.
I played a few times with my glasses. The most important thing in my opinion is they do not move it too close. There really isn't a reason to move it right up on your face. Have them tighten it up in the back, and keep the unit away from their face. If they aren't playing an active game, even better. Not something like Synth Riders.

RavageX

Yeah, so I wear both contacts and glasses. In this case, the prescription lenses are as if I'm wearing glasses, which is great. The eye tracking works as intended. I know this was a concern for some.

I didn't notice much of a difference that the lenses were even in place or if it felt as if I needed to adjust the depth of the headset. The feeling that they were there was quite minimal if that makes sense. No added screen door effect or anything like that.

So as it stands it doesn't feel like there isn't a downgrade nor an increase in the visual scope while the lenses are in place. If you wear glasses, the $60USD is worth it, especially when you can avoid seeing smudges in front of you.

They arrived last week finally.

They work quite well, I'd recommend these to anyone as well. No worries about scratching anything up. I am lazy though, I just leave them on my VR....

Crayon

I played a few times with my glasses. The most important thing in my opinion is they do not move it too close. There really isn't a reason to move it right up on your face. Have them tighten it up in the back, and keep the unit away from their face. If they aren't playing an active game, even better. Not something like Synth Riders.

In general, the thing is not good to slam all the way up to your face. It's tempting because you squeeze out some more fov. But behind that silicon accordion... the thing is only vaguely shaped like a face. It's meant to be suspended out in front.

oh, oh, i thought of a tip that might help.

Get the headset all adjusted with the scope fully extended out. It's actually easier to line it up like that anyhow. Now, look up a bit. Like idk 45 degrees or so. And while looking up, bring the scope in. Looking up, it can get closer to your face. So if you bring it in while looking up, it should be more safe.

SilentUser

How noticeable do you guys find the mura/grain effect? Does it vary between each unit? I'm enjoying my VR overall but in certain games it's really distracting.

In Kayak VR for example it's literally all I can see, and annoyingly it's quite noticeable in GT7 as well which is really frustrating given how otherwise outstanding it is.

Sorry for the thread derail but I just want to make sure that I don't have a particularly bad unit or something before I commit to keeping this thing.
Yeah, the mura is quite frankly the weakest point of the PSVR2 (at first I though I was seeing the screendoor effect). It is easily noticeable, specially in gray scenes I think. Wish it wasn't there. There is an accessibility option someone pointed that changes the colors a bit and it pratically erases the mura. I tried and was impressed, but still decided to turn it off because I prefer the original colors. Also, I'm used to it know and forget about it most of the time. When I see it, I don't care too much anymore.

Fredrik

It generally knows what he's talking about. I watched that yesterday though, and he's really harping on how it makes him motion sick. Goes on to say he went to Reddit and found it was widespread, and then to explain that it must be fine for new VR users but experience VR users are more likely to get sick and try to find ways to explain it, etc. It came off as a stretch, really.
Motion sickness in VR is a serious problem, I thought it was great that he tried to find the cause of it when it happens even for someone with VR legs, haven’t seen anyone else dig into that. And no offense but those who has just bought a headset are still in the honeymoon phase and I definitely don’t trust those more than this VR veteran. I just wish he would talk about using glasses too, besides that it was a good video imo.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, the mura is quite frankly the weakest point of the PSVR2 (at first I though I was seeing the screendoor effect). It is easily noticeable, specially in gray scenes I think. Wish it wasn't there. There is an accessibility option someone pointed that changes the colors a bit and it pratically erases the mura. I tried and was impressed, but still decided to turn it off because I prefer the original colors. Also, I'm used to it know and forget about it most of the time. When I see it, I don't care too much anymore.

It's also different per game, something like Synth Riders (and by similar visual style I'd guess Tetris Effect and Rez Infinite) don't really display the Mura ever for me. Synth Riders has so much pitch black in it and then just blinding bright colors, I don't really see any of the flaws playing that game. Maybe on the initial menu if I really look I can barely notice it, but that's it. But yeah, in other games like RE8 and S&S1/2 it'll be more prevalent, but it still doesn't both me, like in the order of things to fix, I'd go for more image resolution/clarity then less god rays with white text on black, then chromatic aberration, and also a clearer image around the edges way before the mura.

Minsc

Gold Member
It would be nice if there wasn't any visible mura at all on the psvr 2 but I don't understand how it's a complete deal breaker for some people.

Yeah, very few people have described it as deal breaking. Main culprits for that are the fit itself, and the fresnel lens resulting in the small sweet spot and lower clarity to other headsets someone may have. But the headsets are still at a stage where you sacrifice something for something else. Maybe in a few more generations for $500 you can get everything with no issues, but to improve the PSVR2 you would also need to take away from the PSVR2, else raise the cost even higher.

scydrex

Loving the psvr2. Today i played more of S&S1 and it's not easy. Still getting tye hang of it. Don't like the first map because of the gray look or fog.

Mr.ODST

Tempted to sell my PSVR2, while amazing piece of kit just dont have time and played it twice since launch, will get it on Ebay I think for £430

Crayon

Motion sickness in VR is a serious problem, I thought it was great that he tried to find the cause of it when it happens even for someone with VR legs, haven’t seen anyone else dig into that. And no offense but those who has just bought a headset are still in the honeymoon phase and I definitely don’t trust those more than this VR veteran. I just wish he would talk about using glasses too, besides that it was a good video imo.

Well I didn't find his motion sickness all that interesting. I thought it would be one of the more insightful reviews but it was all sidetracked with that and something about persistence. It was fine but ended up being way irrelevant to me.

Fredrik

Well I didn't find his motion sickness all that interesting. I thought it would be one of the more insightful reviews but it was all sidetracked with that and something about persistence. It was fine but ended up being way irrelevant to me.
The longer image persistence, or lacking motion clarity to easier describe it, was what he found was the trigger for him, so it was logical he stayed on that since the motion sickness was the biggest reason he came to the conclusion the headset wasn’t for him. I learned a lot tbh. And he still talked in detail about other things and in general liked it.

The only weird thing for me was how he sat with another headset on during the whole video. It’s like holding a PS5 controller when reviewing Forza on Xbox. Makes no sense.

Crayon

The longer image persistence, or lacking motion clarity to easier describe it, was what he found was the trigger for him, so it was logical he stayed on that since the motion sickness was the biggest reason he came to the conclusion the headset wasn’t for him. I learned a lot tbh. And he still talked in detail about other things and in general liked it.

The only weird thing for me was how he sat with another headset on during the whole video. It’s like holding a PS5 controller when reviewing Forza on Xbox. Makes no sense.

It does make sense that he went into it. I felt it was all off in the weeds. Now I'm wondering if it's as prevalent in the video as I remember because I never noticed he was holding the wrong headset...

Has anyone tried song in the smoke? I was intrigued before launch. I'd noticed it on ps1 but never tried. There turned out to be aa lot of competition though. I haven't heard much about it since launch.

Minsc

Gold Member
It does make sense that he went into it. I felt it was all off in the weeds. Now I'm wondering if it's as prevalent in the video as I remember because I never noticed he was holding the wrong headset...

Has anyone tried song in the smoke? I was intrigued before launch. I'd noticed it on ps1 but never tried. There turned out to be aa lot of competition though. I haven't heard much about it since launch.
I tried the demo and didn't care for it much. Crafting was weird and too many menus and just didn't interest me. I see some people enjoy it though, so I wouldn't read too much in to my impressions, but give the demo a shot first.

It's really good. I played for only an hour but the gameplay is awesome and visually looks super crisp.

Soosa

Banned
It would be nice if there wasn't any visible mura at all on the psvr 2 but I don't understand how it's a complete deal breaker for some people.
Vr2 is my first vr, tested vr1 years ago but only briefly.

Mura were huge disapointment to me when I got these.

It basically ruins the experience, so why it wouldnt be a deal breaker?

Like on kayak game mura is almost everything you see at night. Yes, graphics are "behind it", but it is like watching through fabric with stripes and dots.

Same with S&s1 and RE8, on darker/grey scenes mura is The main thing and graphics are behind it.

Isnt The main point of VR to feel like you are in the game? Difficult to feel like it when mura reminds you 95% of the time that you are having a vr helmet.

And it is easy to see on bright scenes too, so it is annoying.

Mura = "psvr2 doesnt really have oled", I mean oled on tv/phone have perfect blacks, but on vr2 black is basically grey because mura somehow brighten everything.

It is like LCD blacks.

Only when pixels are off it looks like oled black, like around the "theater screen".

So if we pay for oled perfect blacks but get lcd grey looking Image because of mura, that is enough to think it is a deal breaker.

It would be cool to kayak on night seeing only stars and, black, but now it is just grey pixel puke.

Because of mura I havent used mine after The launch, other than S&S1 today.

It is barely usable but mura drops it from 4/5 to 2/5 experience

Maybe effect varies between units or some people are more "blind" to it?

Crayon

Like on kayak game mura is almost everything you see at night. Yes, graphics are "behind it", but it is like watching through fabric with stripes and dots.

Same with S&s1 and RE8, on darker/grey scenes mura is The main thing and graphics are behind it.

Isnt The main point of VR to feel like you are in the game? Difficult to feel like it when mura reminds you 95% of the time that you are having a vr helmet.

Mura = "psvr2 doesnt really have oled", I mean oled on tv/phone have perfect blacks, but on vr2 black is basically grey because mura somehow brighten everything.

It is like LCD blacks.

Only when pixels are off it looks like oled black, like around the "theater screen".

So if we pay for oled perfect blacks but get lcd grey looking Image because of mura, that is enough to think it is a deal breaker.

It would be cool to kayak on night seeing only stars and, black, but now it is just grey pixel puke.

You might have a bad one. On the other hand, I can also easily see it in almost any scene, but it's easy to look through. Dark areas appear hella dark to me. More than my non HDR TV, which I run with the backlight about 50% and other settings to get the picture deep and dark right up to the point of crushing a tiny bit.

For me, the darkness, brightness, and color are a big deal. Enough to outweigh the mura, which I guess comes off more to me like a static film grain. If I look right at it, it's clear as day, but while I'm playing, the visuals are coming off as sharp and great looking.

I can see it going the other way. Particularly if there's some people getting bad ones. Or maybe even people with acute vision. But it can definitely be assesed as worth it for the old. The reviews by tubers who are more picky about the display and there are plenty of them saying it's fantastic with the mura as a footnote. That's more or less in line how I feel.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I think I've seen mura once on PSVR2 and this is my third different branf headset.

It's there and I'm sure I'll see it but I'm always looking at what I'm playing instead of poential problems, like mura. The effect was real bad on PSVR1 and I didn't notice it while playing. So to me it's obviously not even a slight factor.

It is like LCD blacks.

I do notice it but it doesn't bother me as much as it does for you or some people. I think it's harder to see it in the cartoonish looking games.

Minsc

Gold Member

It is like LCD blacks.

I only ever notice it on the gray, but not totally dark scenes and it is definitely not as bad as you make it sound. RE8 is 100% fine even with it. Kayak was worse IMO, but I didn't care that much for Kayak and it wasn't in most of the other levels I played in Kayak, mainly the night jungle one. RE8 it's like barely bothersome for 1% of the game to me.

Again, there have been people (this is not a joke) who have had really bad mura then switched their headset and got one with basically none. The mura level is a bit of a lottery with the PSVR2 from what I've read.

Fredrik

Badabump, just posting because the thread was down on page 2. All VR talk is good.
If I get a PSVR2 now it would be for GT7. How’s the FFB? And what wheel are you all using?

Crayon

Badabump, just posting because the thread was down on page 2. All VR talk is good.
If I get a PSVR2 now it would be for GT7. How’s the FFB? And what wheel are you all using?

Surprise all these people running out to buy wheels and seats. That's expensive!

Anyway I wanted to say for those of us that don't have the inclination or the means to set up with the wheel and everything, the motion control steering is excellent. It's great because you're steering input is a lot more direct than the controller. I mean it has a less assistance to the input. Highly recommended.

Fredrik

Surprise all these people running out to buy wheels and seats. That's expensive!

Anyway I wanted to say for those of us that don't have the inclination or the means to set up with the wheel and everything, the motion control steering is excellent. It's great because you're steering input is a lot more direct than the controller. I mean it has a less assistance to the input. Highly recommended.
Can’t see how motion controls could be good tbh but I haven’t tried it. I initially tried using a controller in Assetto Corsa though and thought that was a major letdown, was essentially just headtracking.

Yeah it’s expensive, sucks that I can’t use the same wheel as on PC and Xbox, these walled gardens are driving me crazy.
But using a wheel is a huge upgrade, especially in sim VR when your hands are synched with the driver hands, can’t go back, the cockpit view is actually usable.

If it’s also a space issue you should try using a foldable wheel stand, I have an old Wheel Stand Pro, there are probably better ones out now. Easy to tuck away when not using it, I just leave the wheel on and fold it up, and it feels sturdy enough when properly set up. 👍

Mung

Yep motion controls on GT7 are great. Have used them since 1 month post launch. Find it much better than stick and I'm faster with motion control than wheel too (helped me up to mid DR A). It's very suited to VR as well. It's actually the dualsense setting that is recommended in the in game manual/guide (vs stick).

Last edited:

Rudius

Well, that ties back to the old "it's not exclusive" argument fan warriors do for years. Like Xbox/PC getting same day first party release dates. So if it's on PC (which everyone has at home), no need to get an Xbox and the Xbox version. Just stick with the PC version.

Now you know what it's like when most of the PSVR games are already on PC for years. Unless PSVR has tons of exclusive games not on PC, you're going to get the not exclusive argument for years.
With VR that argument is much weaker. Not only are VR headsets far more rare than TVs and monitors, the PC required to run VR games well is far more expensive than what you need for flat. In flat games you can play on integrated graphics at 720p 30fps; it sucks a bit, but you can still have fun. In VR 60fps is the minimum and the resolution needs to be at least 1440p, 4x 720p, and even that will only be passable. Besides, if your games drops bellow 30 in flat you survive, so you can aim for 80 or 90% GPU utilization, while in VR you need much more headroom for a stable performance.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can’t see how motion controls could be good tbh but I haven’t tried it. I initially tried using a controller in Assetto Corsa though and thought that was a major letdown, was essentially just headtracking.

Yeah it’s expensive, sucks that I can’t use the same wheel as on PC and Xbox, these walled gardens are driving me crazy.
But using a wheel is a huge upgrade, especially in sim VR when your hands are synched with the driver hands, can’t go back, the cockpit view is actually usable.

If it’s also a space issue you should try using a foldable wheel stand, I have an old Wheel Stand Pro, there are probably better ones out now. Easy to tuck away when not using it, I just leave the wheel on and fold it up, and it feels sturdy enough when properly set up. 👍

I am pretty sure it is simply a comparison of size to be honest. A wheel is obviously the most accurate, but it gives you the largest area of controls. For example, if you laid it out flat, the control range for a wheel is going to be at least the circumference of the wheel, probably closer to 2x that. And obviously it'll mimic what you see on the screen. Motion controls will be the invisible circumference created by the width of the controller, so much less precisions and it doesn't quite mirror what you see on screen, but there is some basic similarity. Lastly will be analog, the range in precision for that is miniscule, like 1" of movement from left to right controls your entire wheel. So it lacks precision completely. Which is why I think people who use analog say they do better when they switch to digital (d-pad) controls, where you only have 2 inputs, on or off.

TIGERCOOL

It is like LCD blacks.

My first headset had significantly worse mura than my second. Traded it out after noticing the pattern was far more prominent and distorted in the left lens and figured that wasn't normal.

It's still there in grey scenes, but the contrast is much better now. Dark scenes are properly dark and can't see it on most non-uniform backgrounds. Much happier with the headset overall now.

If you get a decent panel the effect will rear its head from time to time but in general gameplay you won't notice it much. Kind of like the DSE on my TCL LED that would show up in foggy scenes and on skyboxes. Worth the tradeoff for the great HDR, though annoying at times.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I am pretty sure it is simply a comparison of size to be honest. A wheel is obviously the most accurate, but it gives you the largest area of controls. For example, if you laid it out flat, the control range for a wheel is going to be at least the circumference of the wheel, probably closer to 2x that. And obviously it'll mimic what you see on the screen. Motion controls will be the invisible circumference created by the width of the controller, so much less precisions and it doesn't quite mirror what you see on screen, but there is some basic similarity. Lastly will be analog, the range in precision for that is miniscule, like 1" of movement from left to right controls your entire wheel. So it lacks precision completely. Which is why I think people who use analog say they do better when they switch to digital (d-pad) controls, where you only have 2 inputs, on or off.
Yeah analog stick controls are kinda crap for simulation, get stressed out and mash the stick to the edge and you’ll be in some ping ping drifting scenario. Not a fan of digital controls though, that’s like going 20 years back in time.
But with the wheel it’s not just about how you move your hands, it’s the force feedback that really make it a night and day difference. And in VR it completely removed my motion sickness, I think it’s because I could physically feel the shakes I see on screen through the FFB. Best scenario would be a racing rig that move your whole seat, but I don’t have space for that.

TIGERCOOL

What are the best games graphically? Gran Turismo 7 is a far bigger downgrade than I expected and i’m very disappointed to say the least.
RE8 looks excellent for the most part. Some aliasing, and the subpixel structure of the OLED means every game will look a bit softer than you'd hope, but the detail of the world and excellent use of light makes for a great experience. I got used to the reprojection pretty quickly. Not as distracting as CotM or GT7 imo.

Rudius

Scale is tripping you out. Idk if it's hard to get right or if developers mess with it for a reason. It's more often too small than too big.

Me in skyrim vr: "I guess we're all 4 feet tall and I'm okay with that."

I feel like it's a little on the small side in RE8. In GT7 is hard to tell. Might be a bit small, might be right on. There's no way to know for sure, of course.
If you make the lenses closer the world will look a bit larger, and if you separate them more it will look smaller.

What are the best games graphically? Gran Turismo 7 is a far bigger downgrade than I expected and i’m very disappointed to say the least.
Dam not sure what you expected since every vr version of flat games is always a downgrade since you need to run it at higher frame rates. I think it looks awesome taking this in consideration. Perhaps you can freeze yourself and wake up in 2050, when vr will be similar to ready player one? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

scydrex

Tried more games yesterday and today.
Pistol whip awesome game. Had a great time with a friend playing it. Great experience. Awesome game. Light brigade is awesome too. I got to the church. Loving it already. 90h native is a big plus. But will finish both s&s first. My friend play GT7 and he was astounded with how it looks and felt. Also showed him s&s1 and Kayak he liked both. Overall he was impressed with the psvr2 and likes it.

SilentUser

Pistol whip awesome game. Had a great time with a friend playing it. Great experience. Awesome game. Light brigade is awesome too. I got to the church. Loving it already. 90h native is a big plus. But will finish both s&s first. My friend play GT7 and he was astounded with how it looks and felt. Also showed him s&s1 and Kayak he liked both. Overall he was impressed with the psvr2 and likes it.
Have you tried the C-Smash demo? Simple and straight forward, tons of fun! Showed it to a friend yesterday with barely any contact with videogames and he was smilling and laughing all the time, it was pretty cool to see. Will show the game (demo) to other friends soon, they never had contact with VR, I think.

It is like LCD blacks.

Hmmm I wonder if I got a bad unit.. I can definitely relate to what you're describing - very prominent mura overall and the blacks being far from black. It's annoying but not a deal-breaker for me and when I get immersed in the games I pretty much forget about it from time to time.

scydrex

Have you tried the C-Smash demo? Simple and straight forward, tons of fun! Showed it to a friend yesterday with barely any contact with videogames and he was smilling and laughing all the time, it was pretty cool to see. Will show the game (demo) to other friends soon, they never had contact with VR, I think.
Yeah yesterday. It's fine. I like the concept and look, sound. A bit expensive for me. Will finish the games i own now. Then will want to buy moss 1&2. I tried all the demos available. I don't own any of them. Also tried the song in the smoke is it? The survival one and is ok. Didn't know what to do.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
After a week with my new PSVR 2 I have another question for you veterans. Will my VR legs get better?
I thought at first that only the climbing in Horizon would fool my body but something as simple as opening lower drawers in RE 8 sometimes makes me wobble forwards.
To counter this I slightly bend my knees to "ground" myself but after about an hour I quit because my legs are tense most of the time.
In 6 months I'm gonna have thighs like a brazilian soccer player 😆

Now GT7 I can play longer because my butt is sitting on the sofa.
But Horizon & RE8 are more enjoyable standing up; better control of the bow and in RE8 access to your coat and gun.
Thank you!

Minsc

Gold Member
After a week with my new PSVR 2 I have another question for you veterans. Will my VR legs get better?
I thought at first that only the climbing in Horizon would fool my body but something as simple as opening lower drawers in RE 8 sometimes makes me wobble forwards.
To counter this I slightly bend my knees to "ground" myself but after about an hour I quit because my legs are tense most of the time.
In 6 months I'm gonna have thighs like a brazilian soccer player 😆

Now GT7 I can play longer because my butt is sitting on the sofa.
But Horizon & RE8 are more enjoyable standing up; better control of the bow and in RE8 access to your coat and gun.
Thank you!

Hmm, the controls for interacting with objects are a little lacking in RE8, so part of the issue is sometimes you do feel like you really need to bend lower to interact or sometimes you just need to use a different button than what you expect. You could also try crouching with by pushing in the analog stick than the drawer will be above you, but yes, you should get better each time assuming you are playing only short enough sessions that you don't get any dizziness/etc.

The games are better standing up for sure, at least for me. I think once you can move around in RE8 using the analog without snap turning and without tunnel vision/vignetting, then you're pretty well acclimated to the VR. An hour is pretty good though, if you're playing that much you must be decently far, at least into the castle? What a game, hope you're really enjoying it!

R6Rider

Gold Member
I bought dinner and still haven't tried it.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Romulus

Yeah showing people gt7 doesn't get old. My uncle was an arcade racing fan in the 80s and 90s and watching him look around the cockpit was great. "I'm inside this fucking car. Holy shit. I can't believe it." He talked about it for 20 minutes after he finished a 3 laps on the 'ring.

Top Bottom