• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue axing Viacom networks on Nov 11th, adding BBCA, VICE, and more

onQ123

Well that suck but it's a good thing Hulu also has a live TV service coming soon. hopefully these networks don't get too greedy & make something ugly out of what seemed so beautiful.

Wow, so literally the only thing I personally will need a solution for is watching South Park. What a fucking cesspool of networks that Viacom owns.
I will gladly take Viceland over every single one of those channels.

Afrikan

did some people in the past pay for BOTH Sling and Vue at one point? when Vue didn't have ESPN?

I wonder if it's still cheaper to do that, if Sling still has Spike.

fake edit- not up on Sling anymore, not sure if they have the same amount of channels as Vue

ZOONAMI

Glad I cancelled vue and went with a no contract comcast $69 intenet and tv package. $10 for the HD and free dvr and showtime. I was kind of confused by the deal, it was on their site as a 12 mos deal with no term agreement, I checked with a chat rep and called them and both said yeah there's no term agreement on that one you can cancel any time. You will lose the promo price in 12 mos, but hopefully I can get on another promo or I'll just switch to century link fiber and prism tv.

The main thing that sucks about comcast and century Link is having to deal with returning equipment and negotiaiting promo pricing.

Afrikan

Glad I cancelled vue and went with a no contract comcast $69 intenet and tv package. $10 for the HD and free dvr and showtime. I was kind of confused by the deal, it was on their site as a 12 mos deal with no term agreement, I checked with a chat rep and called them and both said yeah there's no term agreement on that one you can cancel any time. You will lose the promo price in 12 mos, but hopefully I can get on another promo or I'll just switch to century link fiber and prism tv.

The main thing that sucks about comcast and century Link is having to deal with returning equipment and negotiating promo pricing.

I think that's only for new subscribers though right? I thought about that myself...but didn't want to use up my new subscriber benefits just yet!!

platocplx

I see why I DONT WATCH ANYTHING on there but Comedy Central.

A lot of those channels are trash and they probally looked at how many people actually watched the channels and saw it wasnt worth it to keep it.
Also Nick stuff as well probably.

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I don't watch any of those channels, but that's a crazy amount to be losing.

ponziacs

Banned
It sounds like Sony is trying to cater more to their millennial aged male audience by adding channels such as BBC America, Vice and NBA TV. While the majority of Playstation Vue users are likely adult males, they may not have put enough weight on those users wives, girlfriends and children who watch the Viacom channels.

Schrade

Comedy Central is the only thing of value from that list purely for South Park and nothing else. So if you can get South Park elsewhere, no problem.

What a trash heap Viacom is.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is Spike the only channel that shows Cops anymore? At least it seems that way from some of the reactions. Thought it was on all over the place.

ZOONAMI

I think that's only for new subscribers though right? I thought about that myself...but didn't want to use up my new subscriber benefits just yet!!

Yeah I think so, I have had comcast before but not for a few years so I guess they were cool with it

Comedy Central is the only thing of value from that list purely for South Park and nothing else. So if you can get South Park elsewhere, no problem.

What a trash heap Viacom is.

Wow thanks for speaking for everyone guy.

I'm sure this will be common going forward.

I wish that Nickelodeon could get out from underneath Viacom already. Beyond shit like this Viacom has actively stuck it's fingers into internal Nick decisions resulting in crap.

Kiyo

Sucks for those that used those channels but this is a huge gain for me. Love BBC America and more sports is great. Now I just have to hope my city is one of the places getting CBS/Fox "soon".

NewDust

Hey less time to worry about what to watch and more time to game.

Be honest, you gonna spend that time extra on GAF if you had it.

I'm not mad about the channels lost per se, but that loss cuts a big chunk of the available lineup and by a lot more than the few channels they added to make up the difference.

I'm happy about NBATV though.

They just lost 1/5 of their channels from their 30 dollar package.

They would be smart to restructure their channel offerings and probably collapse the highest tier in to the sports mid tier. Even though its a better service than sling, their channel offerings look about even and that's now a cheaper option.

abrack08

I think people are confusing a list of all Viacom channels from Wikipedia with the channels Vue is actually losing... I have the middle tier of Vue and I'm pretty certain that they did not have at least half those channels on the list in the first place. They're not losing 25 channels like it looks like on that list.

That said it'll be a bummer to lose Comedy Central (Broad City, South Park, Workaholics) and Nick (late night episodes of Friends when nothing else is on). I have a Hulu sub though so I should be good on most Comedy Central stuff...

I think people are confusing a list of all Viacom channels from Wikipedia with the channels Vue is actually losing... I have the middle tier of Vue and I'm pretty certain that they did not have at least half those channels on the list in the first place. They're not losing 25 channels like it looks like on that list.

That said it'll be a bummer to lose Comedy Central (Broad City, South Park, Workaholics) and Nick (late night episodes of Friends when nothing else is on). I have a Hulu sub though so I should be good on most Comedy Central stuff...

I just counted, they lost at least 21 channels that were on Vue. So that's pretty close to the 25, and maybe they got even closer if I miscounted.

Edit:

Here's what's leaving Vue

BET
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric
CMT
CMT Music
Comedy Central
Logo
MTV
MTV Live
MTV2
MTV U
Nick Jr
Nick Music
Nickelodeon
Nick Tunes
Spike
Teen Nick
TV Land
VH1

Make that 22, I missed one.

labaronx

Also Nick stuff as well probably.

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Outside of comedy central, which has gone way down hill anyway, i cant seem to be to broken up about this, will replace with hbo and showtime, still cheaper than cable

Adding bbc america for last seasons of orphan black and catch up on dr who before new season is cool too

I just counted, they lost at least 21 channels that were on Vue. So that's pretty close to the 25, and maybe they got even closer if I miscounted.

Edit:

BET
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric
CMT
CMT Music
Comedy Central
Logo
MTV
MTV Live
MTV2
MTV U
Nick Jr
Nick Music
Nickelodeon
Nick Tunes
Spike
Teen Nick
TV Land
VH1

That is a lot of channels. Lose 22, gain 3-5. That's not good for Vue. Hopefully something gets solved here.

ShutterMunster

This is awful. It's not a big loss to me but others in my household who use the service (on my acct) will definitely be upset. That's a ton of content to 86.

Ugh...Apple get your damn head in the game.

tribal24

Banned
thats alot of channels, will they be dropping the price of the elite package or just include HBO and showtime together with it?

Hugstable

Banned

Edit:

BET
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric
CMT
CMT Music
Comedy Central
Logo
MTV
MTV Live
MTV2
MTV U
Nick Jr
Nick Music
Nickelodeon
Nick Tunes
Spike
Teen Nick
TV Land
VH1

Yup definitely done then. Kinda sad and upset since the price has been pretty decent and I ended up going and spending a good amount of money just on streaming boxes and an HD Antenna for the Vue service, not realizing that they would just be losing a huge amount of channels like this out of nowhere. If I was soon I'd do something about this, cause they are probably about to lose a crap load of subscribers...

ShutterMunster

thats alot of channels, will they be dropping the price of the elite package or just include HBO and showtime together with it?

This too.

They also haven't said if you'll be able to have a PS4 Pro and a PS4 utilizing VUE on the same network. I'm desperately hoping that's a yes because PS3 Vue performance is still abysmal.

oh wow i was actually thinking of getting vue once my 2 yr contract is up, was going to axe cable and get this, but no comedy central = no buy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This too.

They also haven't said if you'll be able to have a PS4 Pro and a PS4 utilizing VUE on the same network. I'm desperately hoping that's a yes because PS3 Vue performance is still abysmal.

I don't see why not, its a "different" console to the PS4.

jwhit28

I don't miss these channels, but I'm not happy with how fast they can just remove them. I don't want to have to go crawling back to Comcast for a box if suddenly ESPN or FOX get uppity.

Flunkie

Banned
Viacom is notorious for asking for way too much money and is fine with holding out for it.

I've had Dish and DirecTV black out Viacom channels before while in contract stalemate.

I like the BBC America addition, since I was wondering where the hell I'd be ablessed to watch the new seasons of Doctor Who in a few months.

Top Bottom